Spelunky Minis $5 each BLINDBOX or $40 for a 10 figure set FANGAMER

Gosha

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
This isn't really a deal, but I'm sure these won't be produced for a long time. They were available initially only at PAX Prime/East, but now they are available online after about a year of them being available at said conventions...

http://www.fangamer.net/products/spelunky-figurine

If you are a fan of Spelunky, the set is a must have. You can either purchase one figure for $5, or all 10 figures for $40, which is a great deal for vinyl figures. Shipping ends up being about $7 for the whole set.

I see other people posting links to Disgaea figures, NECA Portal guns, or to Udon art books, so I figure this post might be warranted for those interested for some more unique collectables.

minis_01.jpg

minis_05.jpg

http://spelunkyworld.com/minis.html

They actually look pretty cool. Haven't bought/played Spelunky yet because it looks to be a pretty hard platformer . . . like head-banging hard. But I do love the concept of this kind of game, Spelunker for the NES was one of my favorite games many years ago!

[quote name='chimpmeister']They actually look pretty cool. Haven't bought/played Spelunky yet because it looks to be a pretty hard platformer . . . like head-banging hard. But I do love the concept of this kind of game, Spelunker for the NES was one of my favorite games many years ago![/QUOTE]

You most likely won't enjoy it. I am a huge fan of Spelunker (esp on the PS3), but Spelunky is mostly cheap. Since everything is randomly generated you can't actually predict your future... so you can walk into a trap without having a clue and then never have that happen again. Additionally so many things instantly kill you that it becomes unenjoyable if you play it in long sittings.

[quote name='admiralvic']You most likely won't enjoy it. I am a huge fan of Spelunker (esp on the PS3), but Spelunky is mostly cheap. Since everything is randomly generated you can't actually predict your future... so you can walk into a trap without having a clue and then never have that happen again. Additionally so many things instantly kill you that it becomes unenjoyable if you play it in long sittings.[/QUOTE]

Right, I watched videos and read reviews, and it looks like it is just not fun, so hard that you just get frustrated and you can't make progress (don't you only get one life, when you die you start again?). I'll stick with the old Spelunker and the PS3 remake, more fun and less aggravation.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Right, I watched videos and read reviews, and it looks like it is just not fun, so hard that you just get frustrated and you can't make progress (don't you only get one life, when you die you start again?). I'll stick with the old Spelunker and the PS3 remake, more fun and less aggravation.[/QUOTE]

You get 1 life, but 4 hearts. You can get an additional heart from saving a girl and an infinite amount by buying life (rare find). Additionally the game is very short, so you can in theory beat it in less than 10 minutes. However there are a number of instant kills, so don't be surprised if you fall to far, get stunned by dropping, then land on some spikes.

I bought one a week ago but have yet to get a shipping confirmation or anything. I paid through Google wallet if that matters. I'm not saying it's fishy, just that I really want my Spelunky figure!

[quote name='gordojones88']"Blind Individual Box"

I can't pick just the flower? Seriously?
A great big F U to this company.[/QUOTE]

Clearly you don't understand the concept of blind box.

+1 to the comments about Spelunky not being that good of a game, and being "cheap". I was super disappointed with it.

That being said, if I could get a blindbox for $5 shipped I would definitely get one, as I think they're really cool looking. But $9 shipped isn't gonna happen...

[quote name='SteveGo']Clearly you don't understand the concept of blind box.[/QUOTE]

I understood it the second I saw it. I question why in their incredibly stupid minds they thought it was a good idea. It's an extremely poor business decision not let the customer purchase the item they want. Seriously, some marketing people sat around a conference table and said you know what would be a great idea? Don't let the consumer pick the one they want! High fives all around.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gordojones88']I understood it the second I saw it. I question why in their incredibly stupid minds they thought it was a good idea. It's an extremely poor business decision not let the customer purchase the item they want. Seriously, some marketing people sat around a conference table and said you know what would be a great idea? Don't let the consumer pick the one they want! High fives all around.[/QUOTE]

It's just a thing to keep the collectability aspect of vinyl toys high. These are not just some run of the mill toys you could get at Target. Look at any designer toy that comes in sets, and they are sold like this. If you want to pick and choose, wait until they pop up on ebay... or if you REALLY want a certain one, just email fangamer, I'm sure they'd pick it out for you.

Even with anime figures, or designer figures sold at retail, they usually come as blind box, and have a few open ones for you to swap with in case you get something you don't like.

[quote name='gordojones88']I understood it the second I saw it. I question why in their incredibly stupid minds they thought it was a good idea. It's an extremely poor business decision not let the customer purchase the item they want. Seriously, some marketing people sat around a conference table and said you know what would be a great idea? Don't let the consumer pick the one they want! High fives all around.[/QUOTE]

This is by no means the invention of Fangamer, blind box stuff (Gashapon) has existed for a long time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gashapon

Sure it can be annoying if you want a single one, but don't blame this company!

I love Spelunky. Yes it is very difficult, but with time you learn techniques/strategies for the various enemies and obstacles, how to make effective use of items, etcs. I also love that the world is not the same every time, that it's randomly generated. It's a really great game. Now, as far as these figures, I think they look awesome, but that's an awful lot of money for little plastic people.

[quote name='matthewrex']This is by no means the invention of Fangamer, blind box stuff (Gashapon) has existed for a long time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gashapon

Sure it can be annoying if you want a single one, but don't blame this company![/QUOTE]
No, you can blame the company for picking this idiotic delivery system for the figures.

Also unlike other figures that are sold like this they're all popular with maybe a Go Nagai set or a Toho set, this is nowhere near that which means most of the collection is a dud.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']No, you can blame the company for picking this idiotic delivery system for the figures.

Also unlike other figures that are sold like this they're all popular with maybe a Go Nagai set or a Toho set, this is nowhere near that which means most of the collection is a dud.[/QUOTE]

So don't buy them, easy enough.

If we hadn't already been spending money like crazy, and more than we should have, I'd probably spring for the full set as they are pretty cool. But no way I could justify this. LOL.

Well I got my figure on Monday (gold idol). I was hoping for a tunnel man or yeti, but oh well. They're smaller than I thought, but overall I'm happy to support the dev. I liked the game and I dig the merchandise (plus Fangamer throws in some random goodies)! I'll probably go for another figure next paycheck for the heck of it.

The idea is that you keep buyin blind boxes until you get what you want. It's the same idea behind baseball cards.

Well, like it or not, it's actually a very good business decision, especially for lower-priced, limited-run items. Sure, some people will choose not to buy, but the majority of prospective purchasers will either buy a few in hopes of getting the one they want or just upgrade to buying the whole set. You see Lego and Mega Blox doing it with their mini-figures these days, so this is hardly unprecedented.

From a consumer viewpoint, it does kind of suck, but from a business viewpoint, it does what it's supposed to do...separate the customer from as much of their hard-earned money as possible. Of course, the best thing to do when you're confronted with business practices you don't agree with is to not support them...so you're already there.

My two minis should be here soon. Getting the one I really wanted (Spelunky) was as easy as e-mailing Fangamer and them saying no problem. They're super-rad like that.

[quote name='MrMisterSaturn']My two minis should be here soon. Getting the one I really wanted (Spelunky) was as easy as e-mailing Fangamer and them saying no problem. They're super-rad like that.[/QUOTE]

Totally, they'll even help you out if you wind up getting doubles.

ALSO CHECK OUT THEIR KICKSTARTER!!

Damn, sold out :(
Are you serious...?

You expected this limited run of products to be available over a year after being posted...

Why resurrect this thread? I was actually tempted to nab the full set (which I passed up last year...) until I realized this was just a random Necro of this thread and they are still sold out!

Are you serious...?

You expected this limited run of products to be available over a year after being posted...

Why resurrect this thread? I was actually tempted to nab the full set (which I passed up last year...) until I realized this was just a random Necro of this thread and they are still sold out!
Haha, wishful thinking on my part is all. I was googling in hopes of finding a place selling them and found the thread that way actually.

Given how the Vita release is on indefinite hold, I just wanted to put in another order to go for a caveman to hold me off...

bread's done
Back