Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Collectors Edition (GC & PC) 29.99 @ Gamestop

Look at the headline on the main page for Friday, April 29th ;)

..actually, those were the normal versions.. wow, the Cube version is still $54.99 on EB's site.. good catch

Xbox version had a very small print run. In my district at least, we only received enough to cover preorders.

Why drop a price if not 1 store carries it?

[quote name='Scorch']Look at the headline on the main page for Friday, April 29th ;)

..actually, those were the normal versions.. wow, the Cube version is still $54.99 on EB's site.. good catch[/QUOTE]

So these links are incorrect and it's normal version instead? How do you check for headline on the main page....

[quote name='pinkkirby']So these links are incorrect and it's normal version instead? How do you check for headline on the main page....[/QUOTE]

No, these links are correct. Scorch thought it was a repost, but then realized that the earlier post was about the regular versions, and this thread is about a new price drop or sale on the Collector's Edition.

Ordered PC version. Thank you very much OP was just waiting for a price drop on the CE and the SC series is one of my all time favorites.

it's a store drop too. The Xbox verison is still higher, A) because of a lower print for the limited edition(not halo2 like) and B)because only the xbox and pc verisons of the game have all the weapons/maps for multiplayer.

~b

[quote name='CaptPete']Anyone know if this is just online, or if this is also the price in the store?[/QUOTE]

This is IN STORE AS WELL. I JUST picked it up. Ran out right away as soon as I see this thread. Guy at my store said he was very surprised to see the cube version going for so low on such a good game. He also said that there are only 2 copies and that I picked one up already. I live in San Diego, CA btw.

going to play now. :) happy happy, joy joy

[quote name='XClaude']This is IN STORE AS WELL. I JUST picked it up. Ran out right away as soon as I see this thread. Guy at my store said he was very surprised to see the cube version going for so low on such a good game. He also said that there are only 2 copies and that I picked one up already. I live in San Diego, CA btw.

going to play now. :) happy happy, joy joy[/QUOTE]

I just picked one up in the store too. I had just seen this the other week in a Best Buy for $55 and really wanted it, but there was no way I was going to buy it for that much. I just figured that it would go OOS before it dropped enough.

[quote name='CaptPete']I just picked one up in the store too. I had just seen this the other week in a Best Buy for $55 and really wanted it, but there was no way I was going to buy it for that much. I just figured that it would go OOS before it dropped enough.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that the package comes w/ 2 discs... but... where are my extra contents. both discs seems to fire up the game... where are my extra contents?!

EDIT: what's OOS?

[quote name='XClaude']EDIT: what's OOS?[/QUOTE]

OOS = Out Of Stock

Just like when Star Ocean: Till the End of Time dropped to $20, nobody seemed to have it anymore.

wow! that's a hot deal, thanks for the post OP!

and to think, I almost plunked down 30 bones for the normal version on GC. hey, if collector's edition is already hitting 30, you can bet the price on the regular version will be even further down. yes!

choices....choices.....normal version or collector's edition? anyone have the collector's edition already? how's the extra content? and the collectability of the casing?

[quote name='paul6']Given a choice, what edition should I get ? Gamecube or PC version? I have no real preference..[/QUOTE]

I like the tin box for cube, since it gives nice weight and the slim shape. But PC provides multiplayer game also this game looks best on PC (as if you do have the hardware support).

PC > xbox > GC / Ps2

Btw, just curious. For those of you who got your copy from store, does it have shrink wrap outside the tin box? Or it's just the transparent sleeve over the tin box, and two tape sealed top and bottom?

After I took off the pricing tag and the two pieces of stupid tape, there were those sticky feeling on my box that's why I asked. I sure hope it's not a previously opened copy. For any collector edition game I would at least expect shrink wrap so for ppl who are anal ( like me) can make sure there is "no damage" at all on the box.

The content is also ..... rather empty. Just the mannual, game disk and the bonus DVD. I was hoping for some poster or even Advertising card, product catelog or something.

Anyways, thanks for the deal OP. Still beats 29.99 for regular version everywhere.

[quote name='pinkkirby']
Btw, just curious. For those of you who got your copy from store, does it have shrink wrap outside the tin box? Or it's just the transparent sleeve over the tin box, and two tape sealed top and bottom? [/QUOTE]

I ordered mine (XB Collectors Edition) from Outpost and it had the transparent sleeve over the tin and the tape on the top and bottom, so they might all be like that but I'm not sure.

[quote name='paul6']Given a choice, what edition should I get ? Gamecube or PC version? I have no real preference..[/QUOTE]

If you have a very high end PC (read very fast processor and Nvidia graphics card around 6800GT) then the PC version is one of the best looking games out right now with PS3.0 enabled.

I wanted the PS2 version (I already own the Xbox and PC). EB had one left when they had their sale but it was an opened copy. I refuse to buy something open as new, I don't care what the price is.

Umm... where do I see the extra content?

I got the GC version with 2 discs... but it doesn't say which disc contains the extra content.... I tried both discs and they both boot up the game (rather than what I expected [extras])

The manual doesn't even say how to unlock (if need be) to see the extra content.

That's strange. Do the 2 discs look the same, or is there some sort of difference? Maybe they just gave you two copies of the game?

The second DVD in the PC version is just a regular video DVD. I just fired up NVDVD and played it to get the extras.

[quote name='CaptPete']That's strange. Do the 2 discs look the same, or is there some sort of difference? Maybe they just gave you two copies of the game?

The second DVD in the PC version is just a regular video DVD. I just fired up NVDVD and played it to get the extras.[/QUOTE]

The two discs looks different alright. One is of a lighter green and the other darker green. One says Disc 1 and the other(lighter green) says Disc 2. I think this is what I'm suppose to get.... but where is the extra content....?

LOL

I just had the most adventurous video game purchase ever.

In my search for the extra content in the GameCube's version of SC-CT Collector's Edition... I stumbled across a thread over by GameFAQs.com's forum. I found out that UBI Soft DID NOT include any extra content for the GameCube version of the collector's edition... Not sure if it is real or confirmed, but with what I have seen and tried with my own discs... I am convinced.

I imediately picked up my phone and called the GameStop that I had purchased the game at, and luckily, the person who picked up my call is the manager. I explained to him the situation that the non-existent "extras" that is falsely advertised on the back of the box. Also added that I am very upset at this fact and would want a return. NOT trade in credit, straight return. Cooperatively, the manager appologized for the inconvenience and told me to bring it in.

I brought it in and asks to exchange for the PC version instead.(also collector's edition) Luckily, they have one copy left! They made the switch I took off [drove home] with the game box and all is well and dandy..... Until... I get home and open up the box just to find.... a piece of foam/cushion and to my surprise... NO DISCS! Called them up again and the guy said he knows what happens and just to bring the box back. Apparently, the guy who made the switch "forgot" to put in the discs that they had taken out to prevent thieveries.

hahaha... I've never been through more trouble for a video game.

Worthy to note that GameStop was very cooperative throughout.

So, the point of this post is to make people be aware that the GameCube version "may not" include extra contents besides the game itself.(in quotes because it is unconfirmed) Also, if you are unhappy with your GameCube version purchase, you can attempt to do what I did and exchange for the PC version.

Can anyone confirm that the GameCube's version of the CE of SC-CT does not include the extra contents?

[quote name='CaptPete']That's strange. Do the 2 discs look the same, or is there some sort of difference? Maybe they just gave you two copies of the game?

The second DVD in the PC version is just a regular video DVD. I just fired up NVDVD and played it to get the extras.[/QUOTE]

The second DVD should also have the 3 extra levels from Splinter Cell 1 remade on the new engine. Can you check if its there? I opted for the slowest shipping so it will probably be around 8- 10 days, can't wait to play it.

[quote name='ne2eire']The second DVD should also have the 3 extra levels from Splinter Cell 1 remade on the new engine. Can you check if its there? I opted for the slowest shipping so it will probably be around 8- 10 days, can't wait to play it.[/QUOTE]

I now have the PC CE. I do see a "PC Level" as an extra feature on the extra disc. It prompted me to instal it when I select to play it [thinking it's a video]. So yes, I believe that are some levels exclusively for the PC on the extra disc.

I went right to the horse itself-- after looking through Ubisoft's message boards, you have to contact Tech Support to get a regular DVD with all of the extras. They call it a "manufacturing error" and after you send a receipt and your second disk (??) to Ubisoft, you'll get the DVD. They say the DVD should have been included in the sleeve in the instruction manual.
So, I'll be calling Ubisoft on Monday. I certaintly don't want to have to send disk two in-- for what reason?

Just to clarify, the extra levels are not enhanced for the new engine, they are just the extra levels for the first game.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I went right to the horse itself-- after looking through Ubisoft's message boards, you have to contact Tech Support to get a regular DVD with all of the extras. They call it a "manufacturing error" and after you send a receipt and your second disk (??) to Ubisoft, you'll get the DVD. They say the DVD should have been included in the sleeve in the instruction manual.
So, I'll be calling Ubisoft on Monday. I certaintly don't want to have to send disk two in-- for what reason?[/QUOTE]

I believe you are correct. I went to EB this afternoon cause they had a gut copy to show me. Inside the GC Collector's Edition version, there were two full sized DVD type disc holders; not the small cube-type you'd expect. In fact, the EB sales associate said it was kinda weird. And to comfirm, there was no additional disc or DVD where the bonus material was supposedly contained. This is the worst bullshit Collector's Edition I have ever seen. It's just a metal case, and nothing else! Manufacturing error my ass! Like Pandora Tomorrow when the GC version had the incorrect UPC? Sorry @$$ QA.

I'm getting the regular version after a further price drop.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']I believe you are correct. I went to EB this afternoon cause they had a gut copy to show me. Inside the GC Collector's Edition version, there were two full sized DVD type disc holders; not the small cube-type you'd expect. In fact, the EB sales associate said it was kinda weird. And to comfirm, there was no additional disc or DVD where the bonus material was supposedly contained. This is the worst bullshit Collector's Edition I have ever seen. It's just a metal case, and nothing else! Manufacturing error my ass! Like Pandora Tomorrow when the GC version had the incorrect UPC? Sorry @$$ QA.

I'm getting the regular version after a further price drop.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY my thought.

I was expecting the tin box to be a 3 slot, 2 page type case. You know... the one where the flip in the middle contains 2 gamecube discs like the Resident Evil games... and the inner cover of the back side to contain the full sized DVD featuring the extra contents. To my disappointment, it turns out to be just a normal 2 slot DVD case wrapped with tin.....

When the small gamecube disc sits in the large space in the case, there is a gap between the disc and the surface of the box... I thought it was a stackable slot... but it turns out to be the spacer so the discs don't touch the case...

I thought UBISOFT made a come back with all the coolest game releases recently... with all these flops and errors, they're ruining their name yet again....

Looks like bunch of you guys had trouble getting it... Anyways just to report to ppl who wonder about pc version - I am extremely happy about the PC copy, hasn't checked out the extra content yet. (and yes I did complain about lack of "stuff" in the CE other than one bonus dvd, but even that 1% of unsatisfaction went away after I start playing this game).

I must say, I have not purchased a pc game since half life 2 (and it was free from my video card). Now, this game truly made me remember how beautiful pc game could be.

For those of you "worry" about your pc spec in order to run this game nicely... here is my setting
AMD 2100+ 1.73 ghz (stock, not even OC-ed)
512mb 2700 ddr
ATI 9800 pro 128 mb
7.1 sound

I did not have the AA/vertical S on, but I did picked "use high detail texture" so everything else was full setting. (btw, this is done in 1024 x 768 )

The game loading time was virtually nothing (1-3 sec), and no lag.

I picked up the PS2 version at Gamestop yesterday. $29, brand new. They offered the used copy to me because it may be "$10 cheaper"... it rang up at $49!!! I told them I'll take the new copy, thanks.

I noticed that the PC levels in the menu but there doesn't seem to be any install programs on the disc itself. Am I missing anything? Should I have gotten a seperate disc with the PC levels? Is it something only the PC versions gets???

I'm not too concerned because I have those levels already from the Audigy Gamer Pack.

[quote name='Zimmy']I picked up the PS2 version at Gamestop yesterday. $29, brand new. They offered the used copy to me because it may be "$10 cheaper"... it rang up at $49!!! I told them I'll take the new copy, thanks.

I noticed that the PC levels in the menu but there doesn't seem to be any install programs on the disc itself. Am I missing anything? Should I have gotten a seperate disc with the PC levels? Is it something only the PC versions gets???

I'm not too concerned because I have those levels already from the Audigy Gamer Pack.[/QUOTE]

The used copy for PS2 is now $24.99 at my Gamestop, and also online. Just FYI, good price for a good game.

might have to buy the PS2 and GC version to trade into GR. 25 each, and with 10% off, its like 22.50 each, both get 30 in trade in credit. pick up a cheap game, and then i can preorder DAH for 30, AND get a used game for $5. pretty damn good deal. thanks for the post. wish i knew today because i just traded a single copy of powerdrome in.

bread's done
Back