Split/Second at Costco for 33.99

pvtpyle

CAGiversary!
I just went to costco (Arizona) and they had both the PS3 and the XBOX versions of Split/Second for 53.99 with an instant 20.00 off, making the game 33.99. Pretty decent deal.

As far as I could tell the deal is supposed to last until 6/5/10

[quote name='Grecco']Because it came out in a crowded month/week.[/QUOTE]

Better.

I don't think it sold too badly but I don't have facts to back that up. But with it being an extremely busy month with great A+ titles being released it makes sense for this to drop (I expect Blur to drop fast too)

wow, even when selling pre-order stuff for $20 bucks on ebay...there isn't much a point to pre-ordering stuff is there...I just returned 2 copies of mario galaxy 2 back to gamestop because they are still doing the $20 bucks thing IN ADDITION to there wii/ds coupon

great time to be a gamer :)

yep as an employee it is on sale, the sale started today the 30th and goes untill the 5th of June(or 6th) cant remember 100% so its like for just the week.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Any way a non-member get in and buy this game other than buying a membership?[/QUOTE]

Same here i would so jump on this if only memership didnt cost about $60

Costco has some odd pricing for games. New releases are usually 10% off MSRP, but then they'll stay expensive forever; long beyond when they've been marked down and clearanced elsewhere. Like I saw Tony Hawk Ride for ~$89 a couple of days ago when Gamestops just leave them on the sidewalk in front of the store with a "FREE!!! Take some, PLEASE!" sign above them. (No one does.) Occasionally, good deals will happen, like when Tony Hawk Project 8 was $10 fairly early in its run, but deals like this, even on commercial disappointments, are rare.

What I want to know is what geniuses are deciding to put out all these racing games so close to each other causing a - pardon me - traffic jam at retail and otherwise good games to get lost in the shuffle. Last fall it was DiRT 2, NFS: Shift and Forza 3 in a few month span and D2 getting clearanced quickly as a result. Now we've got Split/Second (which has been out 3 months) and Blur fighting for the same crazy arcade racer dollar. I'd wager this is to keep the older game viable in the face of Blur's arrival.

[quote name='DirkBelig']What I want to know is what geniuses are deciding to put out all these racing games so close to each other causing a - pardon me - traffic jam at retail and otherwise good games to get lost in the shuffle. Last fall it was DiRT 2, NFS: Shift and Forza 3 in a few month span and D2 getting clearanced quickly as a result. Now we've got Split/Second (which has been out 3 months) and Blur fighting for the same crazy arcade racer dollar. I'd wager this is to keep the older game viable in the face of Blur's arrival.[/QUOTE]

Split Second's been out for like a week and a half...?

But yeah, the price cuts are definitely to try to be competitive... Blur seems like it's being much more pushed; I don't remember seeing so many TV ads for a non-shooter in a really long time.

You're right. I thought it was recent - came out May 18th - but Wikipedia's list of games I was referring to had it as March 1. This is why you're not allowed to use Wikipedia as a source, kids!

[quote name='DirkBelig']
What I want to know is what geniuses are deciding to put out all these racing games so close to each other causing a - pardon me - traffic jam at retail and otherwise good games to get lost in the shuffle. Last fall it was DiRT 2, NFS: Shift and Forza 3 in a few month span and D2 getting clearanced quickly as a result. Now we've got Split/Second (which has been out 3 months) and Blur fighting for the same crazy arcade racer dollar. I'd wager this is to keep the older game viable in the face of Blur's arrival.[/QUOTE]

And you could add ModNation Racers to that mix, too.

Man I was waiting for a $30 price drop, but didn't think it would happen till at least mid June. Looks like I'm picking this up tomorrow. Ugh @ more backlog...

[quote name='Lyricsborn']So any way a non member can get the game?[/QUOTE]

Find a trustworthy friend who is a Costco member, give them the money and have them pick it up for you.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']I have no friends. No aw i got tons. now that i think of it my uncle has one i think[/QUOTE]

Non members Can only buy from Costco if they know somebody else that has a membership.
Or you can join for about $50/year.

Shit, I'm going to Costco today, if this is $33, I'm in. Hopefully us SoCal folks don't get screwed on this deal.

IF you like arcade style racing games (think Burnout or SF Rush), this game is worth $33.
If you don't, try the demo first to see if you might like it.
Meta-score is mid-80s, it's a good game, but certainly not everon'e cup of tea.

was marked $53.99 at my store. Didnt see any signage about a $20 off for the game also. I asked someone to check, and they told me to bring it to the registers to check. I saw the long lines and just left. will try another costco by my work tomorrow.

Bought this at Best Buy on Monday for $39.99 and then saw this thread later in the day. Went to Best Buy with my copy and told them I wanted to return it because I saw that Costco was selling it for $33.

The CSR asked me if I had already purchased the Costco copy and I said not yet, so she offered to refund me the difference. So it's worth a shot if you either already bought this at Best Buy or aren't a member of Costco to buy it at Best Buy and then see if they'll match the Costco price.

Note that she didn't actually check online or call Costco, I think it was the threat of losing the sale entirely that led her to offer the match ... I didn't even ask for it, simply said I wanted to return it because Costco was selling it for less.

just picked this up from the costco in manhattan. there were no signs whatsoever saying that there is a $20 instant rebate, but rest assured it was 32.79 at the register. and like all my fellow CAGrs, another game to add to my infinite backlog.

[quote name='nakedninja']did you open the game before you tried to return it?[/QUOTE]

No, but if you already bought a copy, you could always still ask just to see if they are willing since it's within the 30 day period for price matching

... or if they give you a hard time and you want to get tricky (no .. this is not return fraud) buy another one and take back the sealed copy with the original receipt and then see if you have better luck in getting them to match the price. Then just return the 2nd unopened copy within 30 days from the receipt you didn't get price adjusted.

i'd be down for a dedicated costco thread for games. i never know what deals are there b/c it is not like i can just walk in. i have to ask a friend or relative to hitch along. do they have good deals on a regular basis or is this split second deal a 'once in a blue moon' kind of thing?

I'd say it's pretty rare ... Costco is normally only a good option when your other option is Best Buy or Target. Otherwise, Costco normally only takes $5 to $8 off new releases and their selection is very very limited. To be honest, I'm not sure a dedicated Costco thread could sustain itself if it was solely focused on games.

[quote name='cgm92284']is this price advertised in the ad books they have outside the store if so you could do a pm at target.[/QUOTE] Unfortunately not. Also Target doesn't price match warehouse stores (Costco/Samsclub).

bread's done
Back