Splitting Ethernet Cheaply...

souleman96

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
My cousin just picked up a 360 and doesn't have a router so there is only the direct line from his cable router to the computer. When we go over there to play Halo or RB we gotta go under the desk, unplug the internet... etc etc. What I want to know is what is the absolute cheapest way to make two lines out of one (even if it is a router). I wanna get him one for his birthday. It doesn't have to be fancy or even wireless, just cheap. Thanks already guys.

Soule

[quote name='blackdog60']if you are not worried about security, a ethernet hub will be the cheapest solution for you.[/quote]

actually this would result in many issues, if both the pc and the console was on. the hub doesn't assign any IP addresses, so both the console and pc could have the same one given by the cable box and be just a huge problem.

Now if you had a hub, and left the other one off while you play on other one, this should work, a few restarts maybe but it could work.

cheapest solution would be to just buy a cheap router and get two more Cat5 cables.

another way could be buying a network adapter, extra one for his pc and setup Internet connection sharing.... it's more of a headache to go that route.

[quote name='blackdog60']if you are not worried about security, a ethernet hub will be the cheapest solution for you.[/QUOTE]

Not if you ever want to be online with both at the same time. Which basically means having both on at the same time, since both a pc & the 360 will automatically try to connect to the internet.

NewEgg has a router for $15.99 +s/h. No idea how good it is (and notice that brand is LinksKey, NOT Linksys) but if you're looking for cheap, it might do the trick:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833117301R

The only other solution would be to add an ethernet NIC to the computer (giving you another open ethernet port).

Those are cheap...but they are only helpful if the computer is near enough to the 360.

[quote name='Rig']The only other solution would be to add an ethernet NIC to the computer (giving you another open ethernet port).

Those are cheap...but they are only helpful if the computer is near enough to the 360.[/QUOTE]

That would also require Windows Internet Connection sharing or other routing software which is more trouble than it's worth. A router is superior in every way.

[quote name='NTolerance']That would also require Windows Internet Connection sharing or other routing software which is more trouble than it's worth. A router is superior in every way.[/quote]

I don't think it's that difficult to setup.

A router is definitely the best way to go, but some people cannot have routers. (Many college campuses won't allow routers.)

The OP probably can, but he wanted other suggestions too.

bread's done
Back