Spore Creature Creator Deals Thread

O_o

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
The full version of Spore doesn't come out until September, but this week, the Creature Creator is coming out separately for just $10. There's also a Trial Edition of the Creature Creator for free, but it only has 25% of the parts and paint schemes.

iconamazon.gif
- Amazon
Buy Spore Creature Creator
, get $5 off of Spore.
Pre-orders only; expires Monday evening
EDIT: CAG seems to like to mess up Amazon links...

iconcircuitcity.gif
- Circuit City
Preorder Spore online, and receive a $10 gift card.

icongs_r1.gif
- EB/GS
Trade in any two current-gen games, get Spore Creature Creator for free
Available from when the game's in stores until July 20th

? - IGN Direct2Drive
Spore Creature Creator and Spore bundle for $55
Download service only; no physical copy

If you plan on trading in any games (including moving credit around) in the next month, go with EB/GS. Other than that, Circuit City looks to be the best option, but you can't use their free in-store pick-up with pre-orders, so you may be waiting a while if you don't want to pay for shipping.

Any other deals I missed?

Amazon is giving you $5 off Spore if you pre-order the creature creator.

And I doubt that it'll end up on Steam since EA has their own steam like thing.

Are you unable to make your own creatures unless you use the Spore Creature Creator? If not, then it seems sort of pointless, like Pokemon Box. Thanks for the info anyways, OP.

[quote name='Blade']Are you unable to make your own creatures unless you use the Spore Creature Creator? If not, then it seems sort of pointless, like Pokemon Box. Thanks for the info anyways, OP.[/QUOTE]

It's basically a demo of the Spore game. You can make your own creatures in the full version, but you'll have to wait until September.

I heard Spore was coming out for the 360 but can't find any info.
Is that true?
If so is the creature creator going to be on 360?

I haven't been following Spore that much so please forgive my n00bness.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']I heard Spore was coming out for the 360 but can't find any info.
Is that true?
If so is the creature creator going to be on 360?

I haven't been following Spore that much so please forgive my n00bness.[/QUOTE]

So far all that's been officially announced is PC, Mac, DS, and iPhone.

[quote name='o_O']So far all that's been officially announced is PC, Mac, DS, and iPhone.[/QUOTE]

Also, please note that the DS and iPhone/mobile versions are not the same as the Windows/Mac version. The DS and iPhone versions only feature one phase of the game apiece (the iPhone features Cell stage, and DS features the Creature phase; also, the DS version is actually somewhat story-driven, so, it's quite different from the PC version).

Has anyone preorded from CC online before? Just wondering how does the in-store pick up work with the preorders.

So here is my question about this creature creator business.

If they are charing 10 bucks for the initial part of the game, what are they going to charge for the full game when it is released? If it is the standard $50, then they've just increased the price of a computer game to the "next-gen" console price of $60. Seems a little pointless to me from a customer's view. I'm paying 10 bucks more for nothing extra.

For the gamestop deal, if you trade in the two games do you get the game instead of credit for your games, or do you get both? Thanks.

They did make it a free download, but they're offering you the option to pay $10 to buy it with more stuff. It's not like they're forcing you to do it, you can just wait until September.

It's not like this is the first paid demo ever. I can't remember any specifically off the top of my head, but I definitely recall there being a few (and no, I don't mean shareware).

This just seems like a bad business move on the part of EA as gving people all the tools to create "interesting" creatures is one of the factors that will ultimately determine the success of this game. They should just provide it for free and everyone that buys the game will have loads of cool content on day one. Charging $10 for something that is already in the game is just EA greed over seeing the bigger picture.

And I do understand that there is a free version of the creature creater demo but with only 25% of the features available I hardly see that as useful.

Will you still be able to draw an EA logo on your butt? (or butts as you could create a creature with multiple butts)

[quote name='joserjerr']This just seems like a bad business move on the part of EA as gving people all the tools to create "interesting" creatures is one of the factors that will ultimately determine the success of this game. They should just provide it for free and everyone that buys the game will have loads of cool content on day one. Charging $10 for something that is already in the game is just EA greed over seeing the bigger picture.[/QUOTE]

You know, they could have just released the regular free version with 25%, and had that be that. I think it's nice to have the choice, at least.

[quote name='joserjerr']And I do understand that there is a free version of the creature creater demo but with only 25% of the features available I hardly see that as useful.[/QUOTE]

Useful, no (what game is?), but fun? Hell, yeah. I've been playing it all day, so 25% is enough for me. I imagine that the full version of Creature Creator alone could keep me entertained for the rest of the year.

your paying for early access, the months in between now and when it is released (who knows when that will be). So it may not be anything extra in terms of content in comparison with the full game, but it is kinda crappy that they just don't make this free. The point of the "demo" is to drum up interest in the final product, not skim some more profit. If it was free, it would reach many more people and could have a better impact when the final product is actually released. Tiering the demo as a free version and a pay version just seems like overkill and strange...

[quote name='Poolking99']your paying for early access, the months in between now and when it is released (who knows when that will be). So it may not be anything extra in terms of content in comparison with the full game, but it is kinda crappy that they just don't make this free. The point of the "demo" is to drum up interest in the final product, not skim some more profit. If it was free, it would reach many more people and could have a better impact when the final product is actually released. Tiering the demo as a free version and a pay version just seems like overkill and strange...[/QUOTE]

All that aside, I think that EA is beyond the point of needing to "drum up" interest in the game, now.

[quote name='rainking187']Do you get this free on top of the trade in credit at GameStop? Cause if not, two current gen games for a $10 game is an awful deal.[/quote]

Exactly what I was wondering myself. Having the choice, I'd rather trade in for the $10 bonus.

I remember when Lucas and Sony were charging 10 dollars to be a beta tester in Star Wars Galaxies.... supposedly for shipping you a disk instead of making it a download.

While I do not think I'm going to be partaking in this purchase I think I see EA's reasoning behind it. The whole thing about other creatures in Spore was I thought at least they were made by other people, downloaded to your machine, and put into your game. I think in the trial version it said something about uploading your creations to EA so maybe they are just trying to get a head start on the creatures instead of having real dev's crank 30 out a day. Just a thought.

[quote name='SoulReaver']Whats everyone getting so worked up about? Its just a demo, if you can wait then just wait. Geez[/QUOTE]

i dont think anyone is getting that worked up, but i do see the point in complaining about this. i mean why would you want people to pay for a content generator that would build interest in your product? you want it to be mass market, you want everyone to have it.

[quote name='OneWingedAngeI']i wont buy this, but i will get it.[/QUOTE]

*facepalm* Thanks for sharing your illegal activities with everyone.

[quote name='Exodus.Lang']That link actually doesn't work quite yet. It still says the 17th, though, so hopefully it'll be working soon.[/QUOTE]
Worked for me last night. Still couldn't conned my account with the demo though. Ought to work tonight.

[quote name='Exodus.Lang']That link actually doesn't work quite yet. It still says the 17th, though, so hopefully it'll be working soon.[/QUOTE]

It worked for me yesterday. I guess I'm just awesome.

So the gamestop deal is you get the game for free on top of the regular trade in values for your games. But it isn't compatible with the bonus $10 trade in they have going on. Standard exclusions apply:

"Get Spore Creature Creator for free plus your regular trade value when you trade-in 2 XB360, Wii, or PS3 games!

Expires: 06/29/2008. Games with a trade value of $1.00 or less are excluded from offer. Other exclusions may apply. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer subject to change at anytime. See store associate for details. No dealers."

I tried the demo and it's great but obviously lacking. I'd have no problem buying the full version if EA just offered a $10 coupon toward the full game. Without an offer like that, what could have been a clever marketing preview just becomes another way for EA to nickel and dime people for more money. It just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Exactly what covam said. If you got a $10 coupon off of Spore with the purchase of the creature creator that would have been a great marketing tool. And i know that there is always the the "if you don't like it, no ones making you buy it" but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

What constitutes a current gen game? For me current gen means PS3, Wii, or 360, but I know Gamestop, other stores, and most reviewers/websites refer to these as 'next gen' games. If it works with PS2 games I'm all about trading in an old Madden and the copy of Gran Turismo A-Spec that I got for a buck there.

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']What constitutes a current gen game? For me current gen means PS3, Wii, or 360, but I know Gamestop, other stores, and most reviewers/websites refer to these as 'next gen' games. If it works with PS2 games I'm all about trading in an old Madden and the copy of Gran Turismo A-Spec that I got for a buck there.[/QUOTE]

All the systems have been out long enough to be referred to as the current generation.
360, PS3, Wii

What comes with it, that it wasn't Free to begin with?

Bonus stuff?

The $10 version has 4x the stuff as the free version

[quote name='o_O']All the systems have been out long enough to be referred to as the current generation.
360, PS3, Wii

Sadly, that's what I thought. Now if only the gaming media would start referring to them as such. I'm tired of going through magazines and hearing press releases about how games are going to be coming to 'all next-gen systems.'

Best deal is Circuit City. You get 10.00 off when you pre-order it and FREE SHIPPING TOO! Total w/Tax came out to 42 and change. You can then just dl'd the trial edition of the Creature Creator for free. You don't get all the pieces in the trial creator like the 10.00 version but you get a good idea of what it's like.

Great deal in my opinion! Especially with the 10.00 crap for the full Creature Creator and only 5.00 off at from the other retailers.

Quick question, does this work with all current gen games then? I can jut pick up a Madden for a few bucks, take it to the GS up the street, and sell my Madden 07 for the Wii that I don't play any more. That seems to be the best route.

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']Quick question, does this work with all current gen games then? I can jut pick up a Madden for a few bucks, take it to the GS up the street, and sell my Madden 07 for the Wii that I don't play any more. That seems to be the best route.[/quote]
I'd imagine there's a list of games that don't count. Usually the maddens are on that list.

bread's done
Back