Spy Games: Elevator Mission - BestBuy.com - $9.99

Seems to be a trend. I picked up Anubis II at BestBuy.com for $9.99 (pre-order) a while back, and it also basically blows hard. If you're going to buy this one (EVER) now might be as good as ever as you'll be able to resell it for at least as much as you paid (in the all-too-likely event that is sucks). I love my Wii, but I kind of wish Nintendo would bring back the old golden 'Seal of Approval.'

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Isn't this supposed to be the worst game ever made, worse than aquaman or superman 64 and even ET[/QUOTE]There's also the Balls of Fury movie game for the Wii. I didn't realize it existed until I saw it at Target, and if that doesn't explain the horrible 3rd party state of the Wii right now, I don't know what does.

The seal of approval? You mean the golden steal stamped on such fine games as Puss 'n' Boots? (IMHO the worst official NES game ever made) The 'seal' was just for compatibility/bugs not actual quality. Other than meeting Nintendo's censorship guidelines, I don't think they really checked into game quality much.

I got a copy of it as well, but I probably should sell it to Gamestop. UFO does make some pretty bad games (I think Raiden III and their port of Devilish practically redeem them though). I was surprised to see a ton of copies of it at Best Buy; I guess the average person has great taste after all.

[quote name='tomatotyrant']The seal of approval? You mean the golden steal stamped on such fine games as Puss 'n' Boots? (IMHO the worst official NES game ever made) The 'seal' was just for compatibility/bugs not actual quality. Other than meeting Nintendo's censorship guidelines, I don't think they really checked into game quality much.[/quote]

Nintendo did used to put a limit on how many games a publisher could put out per year. I think this was more about not having the market saturated than directly controlling quality.

[quote name='hpv']Nintendo did used to put a limit on how many games a publisher could put out per year. I think this was more about not having the market saturated than directly controlling quality.[/quote]

The most important aspect was control of the market. However, quality control was a goal as well.

From Game Over:

In Japan...the overall Nintendo business was hurt by a glut of games, many of them of inferior quality. Arakawa wanted a licensing agreement that would prevent this from happening in America. The built-in lockout chip, Yamauchi admitted, was to censor games as well as to stop counterfeiters. "It was our way of assuring consistent product quality and to keep the taste level high -- no dirty games, no games with bugs or bad design."

and

For the "privilege" of being allowed to make games for Nintendo's machine, developers had to grant Nintendo the approval of the games, packaging, artwork, and commercials...The plan had Nintendo evaluating every game and giving a rating on the forty-point scale.

The forty-point scale was used to decide which games in Japan ought to be localized; games that scored poorly didn't move forward. So it was more than lip-service, though as we can see from today's game reviews, quality is sometimes subjective.

That said, Nintendo seems to be letting just about anything through these days. Even if it didn't mean much, they ought to have some standard of quality. Flooding the market with crap is not good for the long term.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Isn't this supposed to be the worst game ever made, worse than aquaman or superman 64 and even ET[/quote]

Thats really bad if worse than aquaman. i wonder how many copies were made:whistle2:k

Is the game offically licensed by nintendo (seal of approval)?

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Isn't this supposed to be the worst game ever made, worse than aquaman or superman 64 and even ET[/QUOTE]
According to this guy, yes. And it doesn't matter how cheap it is, no game which gets compared to Big Rigs is worth anyones time or money.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Isn't this supposed to be the worst game ever made, worse than aquaman or superman 64 and even ET[/QUOTE]
I almost bought aquaman today... thankfully I opted for the Warriors and 4000 microsoft points

Oh dear god.... I just watched a gameplay footage video and this stinker looks like it could be running on an enhanced version of the Wolfenstein 3D engine. ouch.

[quote name='thenockmlb']
Edit: GameSpot gives it a 2.1 rating. Not a typo.[/QUOTE]
2.1 lol, how does a game even score that low? I picked it up anyways, $10 is too cheap too pass up

bread's done
Back