Square announces what is to be shown at E3

ShimSham

CAGiversary!
From the article at Etoychest.

Square Enix Announces Dawn of Mana, Final Fantasy III, More For E3
Written by Robyn Dobson

This morning Square Enix announced the company's line up of titles to be shown at E3 in two weeks in Los Angeles. In addition, Square Enix will hold a preview event and reveal special product announcements during its press briefing on Monday, May 8. We'll be there to bring you the scoop. "E3 attendees will be immersed in Square Enix's most diverse line-up ever," said Daishiro Okada, President and COO, Square Enix, Inc.
Dawn of Mana (PS2)

Dawn of Mana, the first true Mana sequel in a decade, reveals the origins of the legend behind the Mana Tree and the Sword of Mana. Breaking the series' 2D mold, Dawn of Mana brings the world of Mana to three-dimensional life while preserving the atmosphere that fans have come to know and love. Players can see for themselves how vividly characters and monsters move about these new yet familiar surroundings. This installment of the Mana is a true action-adventure, with sweeping plains and mountains stretching as far as the eye can see. The release date for Dawn of Mana will be announced at a later time. This title has not yet been concept approved by Sony Computer Entertainment America.

Dirge of Cereberus-Final Fantasy VII (PS2)

Three years after the events of Final Fantasy VII, an unknown group of seemingly unstoppable soldiers appears, bringing a swift and bitter end to the peace enjoyed by the people of the world. The members of this enigmatic group are the ones who were trapped under the ruins of Midgar for three long years -- the Deepground soldiers. Vincent Valentine finds himself pursued by several elite members of the mysterious Deepground organization. An unrelenting chain of events leads Vincent to the truth behind his past -- and forces him once again to be the key player in a battle for the planet itself and all those living on it. The game will be released in summer 2006.

Final Fantasy XII (PS2)

Two years after the fall of Dalmasca, the citizens are without guidance and direction. In the capital city of Rabanastre, the denizens gather and await the introduction of Archadia's new consul. To Vaan, a young man living on the streets of Rabanastre, the Empire is a hated enemy who took the life of his brother, the only family he had left. In an effort to exact revenge, Vaan hatches a plot to break into the palace and steal from the occupying imperials. There, he gets more than he bargained for as he runs into Princess Ashe, the sole surviving heir to the Dalmascan throne. Together, the two will embark on an incredible journey through Ivalice, tracing the mysteries behind the Archadian Empire's invasion. The choices they make will determine the very fate of the world. The game will feature an all-new comabt system, and an Active Dimension Battle (ADB) system that enables players to move seamlessly between exploration and combat. The game will be released in fall 2006.

Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria (PS2)

Hundreds of years before Lenneth's tale, another saga lies concealed by the gods. The valkyrie Silmeria once served Odin loyally, but after an incident ignited a conflict between them, Odin forcefully reincarnated her as a human. The human soul that would carry her spirit was that of Alicia, Princess of Dipan. Ordinarily, Silmeria's consciousness would have been sealed, her spirit dormant until she was next summoned. However, the forced transmigration causes Silmeria's spirit to awaken within Alicia, leaving two souls to inhabit a single body. The spirit that should have been sealed has awakened -- a situation Odin will not ignore for long. This installment introduces the new Photon Action System to the classic side-scrolling action format found in the original. Projecting photons grants players more freedom to explore and expands the action, resulting in challenging puzzles with clever solutions. Add to that "sealstones" that affect the laws of nature in dungeons, launching strategy to new heights. The game will be released in 2006.

Final Fantasy V and VI Advance (GBA)

The classic FF games from the SNES are coming to the GBA. However, these titles are more than simple ports -- every aspect of the games has been reviewed and enhanced. Additionally, a host of brand-new elements have been seamlessly merged with the original games, providing unexpected surprises for longtime fans. With new dungeons, new job classes, and other exciting features, both old-school players and newcomers can enjoy these genre-defining Final Fantasy titles in a portable format. Both will be released in 2006.

Children of Mana (DS)

In ages past, an island called Illusia floated at the center of the world. At the heart of the island towered an ancient, enormous tree that stretched up to the very heavens. For ages past, chaos and sorrow had engulfed the world until at last its salvation appeared in the form of a boy, a girl, and a holy sword. Time flowed on and peace returned. The sword and the tree remained, and they soon came to be known as the Sword of Mana and the Mana Tree. Followers of the Mana Tree returned to Illusia as the world started slowly but surely down the path to recovery. The game will see the return of the eight elemental spirits that are a staple of the Mana series. The greatest innovation of this installment of the Mana series is allowing four players to advance the story and solve quests together while maintaining the feel of an action RPG. The game will ship in 2006.

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS)

The latest game from the creative minds behind the 2005 RPG classic, Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King is set for the DS. The hero of this brand-new action-adventure is a slime -- one of the most popular monsters from the Dragon Quest series. The game is set in the kingdom of Slimenia, a peaceful land that is suddenly invaded by a mysterious cartel called "the Plob," who then proceed to kidnap all the slimes in the capital city of Boingburg. Our protagonist, Rocket, is the only slime left behind, and must embark on a journey throughout Slimenia to save his friends and uncover the Plob's nefarious plot.

The adventure stages consist of our hero bouncing and stretching, as well as carrying various objects on his head, while solving the mysteries behind each area, and rescuing his captured slime friends along the way. Simple, streamlined controls allow players of all ages and skill levels to take part in the action with ease. Each adventure stage culminates in Rocket hopping aboard a colossal slime-shaped war machine called the Schleiman Tank and battling it out with the enemy's Monster Tanks. Customize tanks by collecting a vast array of weapons and items. Call upon allies, each with their own individual personality and abilities, to aid in the heated tank battles. Even shoot your fellow slimes so they can infiltrate and sabotage the enemy's Monster Tank. Pit tanks against a friend's in exciting player-vs.-player action, using the Nintendo DS wireless multiplayer game feature. The game will ship in 2006.

Final Fantasy III (DS)

The only Final Fantasy that was never localized -- the third installment of the original series -- will finally reach North American shores! Lauded as "legendary" by the Japanese fan base, Final Fantasy III has been reborn, incorporating the latest in portable gaming technology. Using the features of the Nintendo DS to their fullest, Final Fantasy III features graphics that have been reworked and remodeled in 3D, while maintaining the mythical Final Fantasy look and feel. The game will ship in 2006.

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (PSP)

Asgard, the realm of the gods, remains locked in an eternal struggle between the benevolent Aesir and the demonic Vanir. With the end of the world approaching, Odin, Lord of Asgard, summons Lenneth Valkyrie to his side. Possessing the ability to hear the thoughts and feelings of men and women in their dying moments, he charges Valkyrie to search Midgard, the world of mortals, to recruit and train the souls of worthy warriors to join the ranks of the Aesir in the Sacred War. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth brings the classic PlayStation title, originally released in 2000, to the PSP system with completely new CG cut scenes. tri-Ace, the developers behind the acclaimed Star Ocean series and Radiata Stories, introduce new fans to the spectacular combo attacks, unique side-scrolling environment, and gripping storyline that first captivated players six years ago. The game will ship in 2006.

Other releases expected for the show floor include mobile titles such as Chase H.Q. 3D, 3D Space Invaders, Final Fantasy I, and Before Crisis-Final Fantasy VII.
So Square is going pretty big on E3 this year, I'm pretty impressed. I hope they might have one or two more surprises up their sleeves though.

Dawn of Mana
This title has not yet been concept approved by Sony Computer Entertainment America.
? Meaning they haven't approved that it will even release in America? I thought they only hated 2D games? ;)

Can't wait to play it, that's one title I will import day 1, other being Gitarooman Live.

I really hope FF6 keeps it's portrait design, or at least the same artist. I'm very curious as to what they are going to add to FF6. Also, we are getting both Valkyrie Profiles?! Excellent, now I can finally play it and see what the fuss is about! Good to know for sure Children of Mana is coming as well.

As for a surprise, here's hoping for a new Chrono!

[quote name='guyver2077']damn i wish they would support microsoft already..(no ff11 please)[/QUOTE]

Well, they announced that shooter for the 360. I'm kind of surprised it wasn't on the list.

I'd be absolutely amazed if all these games came out in 2006 like they are claiming though.

As much as I'm looking forward to the handheld stuff, am I the only one wishing for a new series by Square? Everything on that list, arguably, has "been done" by them before... and to death, no less.

well, that about covers all possible remakes. up next year: FFVII.

unless they skip it and remake 8 and 9. Definitely looking forward to the new VP game... :pray: please don't fuck it up squeenix

Wow!!!
A solid line up for Square Enix. I'm going to broke just trying to buy all these games from SquareSoft (I like that term more than the correct term, Square Enix) but it is all worth it. Finally, I'm going to get a chance to play Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth.

A lot of these lists they releases are not always complete. Some games they might end up showing in just video form. Also games that have not been offically announced and they are waiting for E3 to do it, won't be on that list.

wow, nice.

i'm a huge mana fan (loved legend, didn't really like sword, still love the original as well as sd3) so this is all good news, i'm looking forward to the DS one more, though =P

all new VPs as well i loved VP even with the pokemon VAs. i'm additionally hyped for ff12 (haven't been this excited since snes FFs). FF3 DS looks interesting, but I'm not so interested for FF5 and FF6 on the GBA, nor Dirge, nor DQ Slime Heroes. I'm a big DQ fan but that doesn't really strike me as interesting...

Out of all of these, I'm really only interested in FFVI (since I love that game and love my GBA, it's a perfect match).

Otherwise...meh.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Out of all of these, I'm really only interested in FFVI (since I love that game and love my GBA, it's a perfect match).

Otherwise...meh.[/QUOTE]
But FFV is like FFVI with a main character named Butz... you don't like this how?

[quote name='Genocidal']As much as I'm looking forward to the handheld stuff, am I the only one wishing for a new series by Square? Everything on that list, arguably, has "been done" by them before... and to death, no less.[/QUOTE]

I feel ya. I'm not that impressed by the list at all.

[quote name='Strell']Rocket slime sounds like what I do to your mom.[/QUOTE]

"The adventure stages consist of our hero bouncing and stretching, as well as carrying various objects on his head, while solving your mom."

[quote name='Apossum']"The adventure stages consist of our hero bouncing and stretching, as well as carrying various objects on his head, while solving your mom."[/quote]

:lol: Haha, nice!

sign me up for FF 5 and 6.. all the FF ports on GameBoy have been excellent so far.

Man, I'm excited about the portables, but WHERE THE HELL IS MY PORTABLE CHRONO TRIGGER!!!! Also, I wonder if the porting to portable trend of the FF series will continue with porting the PS1 games onto the PSP.

At last, at last, some real Nintendo support that won't suck.

Now we need the PSone games (well, not 8 because it's terrible) ported to DS and some home-console Chrono love.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Ugh. No Front Mission 5? If that game doesn't get localized I'll kill someone.[/QUOTE]
i am hoping that will get a US release. I guess FM4 didnt do too well. Also I hope FMA 3 can make it.

I want every single one of those titles except for Dirge of Cereberus which looks like a flaming pile of dog shit. But I do want to see a definitive version of Chrono Trigger on the DS or PSP or something... y'know, with the anime scenes, but without the ungodly load times of the PS1 version.

[quote name='Chacrana']I want every single one of those titles except for Dirge of Cereberus which looks like a flaming pile of dog shit. But I do want to see a definitive version of Chrono Trigger on the DS or PSP or something... y'know, with the anime scenes, but without the ungodly load times of the PS1 version.[/quote]

Agreed. Well, except for Dirge, which I'll probably buy 2 copies of...one to hold onto, and another to hold onto in case I somehow run through the entire backlog of games I have and have NOTHING else to play...and somehow, I lose all sense of "what is entertainment value"...

Now pardon me while I go grab my calendar and block myself out for the next year, thanks. :roll:

I hope these games aren't coming out this year, I'm saving for a house. I'm pretty much going to buy every game that was listed. Sad.

I hope they keep him Butz and not "Bartz" for the GBA version.

They thankfully got the names right for FFIV.

And maybe they can leave Faris a man.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Ugh. No Front Mission 5? If that game doesn't get localized I'll kill someone.[/QUOTE]

Heck yeah. Where's the FM5 love? 62t's hunch is probably right - FM4 was a bargain game all over the place, looks like stores were just trying to get rid of it. Not nearly as good a game as FM3 either, sadly. I'll import FM5 if I have to (just like I did with the PSX releases of FM1 and FM2), but I'd much rather have a US version.

I'd also like to see FMA3, but it's looking pretty grim these days. The improvement from FMA to FMA2 was huge, and I was interested in playing the final part of the trilogy.

But I am happy we're getting Slime MoriMori DQ 2! Great game, and I'll love to see it in English. Too bad we never got the first one on GBA.

there is also Front Mission Online. I know some people got in the beta but we havent heard anything since.

also missing Dragon Quest V remake, Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street

[quote name='62t']there is also Front Mission Online. I know some people got in the beta but we havent heard anything since.

also missing Dragon Quest V remake, Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street[/QUOTE]

Also Code Age Commander and that weird Heavy Metal game show game. I actually thought Code Age had a better chance than most of that "odd" stuff to make it to the US (though without the accompanying cell phone game and manga). Guess not. Not a big loss either though, the game isn't anything special.

Never knew there was a beta for FMO anywhere outside of Japan. Would have been cool, but chances seem slim for a US PS2 release. Maybe PC if anything, but still probably unlikely. I'd play it though...

Front Mission seems to be one of those series that they don't really think Americans want. Perhaps we proved them right with Front Mission 4. We've only seen two of the eight games in the US (FM3 and FM4 out of FM1-5, Gun Hazard, Alternative, Online). And that's not counting the PS2 and Wonderswan ports of FM1. It's really too bad, since FM5 looks quite good. There's always hope they just didn't announce it in the press release, as there are always games that just show up at E3 unannounced. And there's also the possiblilty of another publisher picking it up, much like Ubisoft and Drakengard 2. If S-E isn't releasing FM5, this just SCREAMS for XSeed, Mastiff, or Nippon Ichi to try to grab the rights.

And if not... I'll just have to import it and suffer through not understanding a lot of the story. Oh well, I did that with FM2 and enjoyed it just fine. But still... I'd rather get it here.

[quote name='jer7583']sign me up for FF 5 and 6.. all the FF ports on GameBoy have been excellent so far.[/QUOTE]

FF 4 was a total fuck up, in terms of the battle system... Square really did a great job destroying that one.

Missed turns, extra turns, slowdown where there should have been none... let's hope the next two games go through some pretty thorough quality control.

I'm jus excited that that the US will finally have every available Final Fantasy Title by years end. Been waiting for III for some time to come statesside.

[quote name='Madskills1182']A lot of these lists they releases are not always complete. Some games they might end up showing in just video form. Also games that have not been offically announced and they are waiting for E3 to do it, won't be on that list.[/QUOTE]
Only FF5 and 6 and Dawn of Mana are going to be shown just with trailers.

http://na.square-enix.com/e306/

bread's done
Back