Square Enix finally commits to PS1 games on PSN

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
Thanks to duckroll at GAF for the news.
Square Enix has announced in this month's Dengeki Playstation due out on Friday that they are committing to releasing their classics on PSN. Starting TODAY (25th June), they will release Xenogears and Einhander on PSN, for 600yen each. There are 12 key titles that they plan on releasing on Game Archives, starting with Xenogears. There isn't a clean full scan of the interview yet, so this is all I know right now to be 100% accurate. Discuss. :D

Edit: The following titles are coming out TODAY, at 600yen each. They're all under the S-E label.

Xenogears (Square)
Einhander (Square)
Astronoka (Enix)
Rakugaki Showtime (Enix)
Raystorm (Taito)
Fighters Impact (Taito)

Square Enix did once say they were not going to release digital downloads since Japanese gamers do not want them: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158958

I am a bit surprised, but I do remember the news of a major Japanese publisher supporting PSN, and Sufergirl said Square Enix (although they were considered to be remakes).

I have a boner right now.

EDIT: Because I'll at least be able to buy them on the Japanese store. Lord only knows SCEA is too busy fucking off to release any PSX games in the USA, S-E or not.

I need to figure out how to make a Japanese PSN account and figure out how to buy stuff from the Japanese PS Store now.

fucking wow.

fuck you SCEA, I know you're never bringing this shit out.

Time to Be Like Myke and order Rakugaki Showtime and Einhander of JP PSN.

I'm hoping for Tobal 2, Vagrant Story, and Bushido Blade.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']What the fuck is Rakugaki Showtime?[/quote]
One of Treasure/Enix's best games ever.
And certainly one of the best made for PSX.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91SPUK_kfVk[/media]

[quote name='h. cornerstone'] Never played Xenogears, which is I hear one of the best RPG's of all time.[/quote]It's my favorite RPG of all time.

That's incredible news, and they couldn't have picked better titles to lead off with.

Unless they had picked Vagrant Story, of course.

Maybe one of these days I'll get to see if Soukaigi was really as bad as everyone says.

hmm...nice, but I have an original hard copy of Xenogears already. :p

Though I do only have a um...*cough* backup of Einhander. My friend happens to have both though. Original Einhander and greatest hits Xenogears.

I did hear that Soukaigi sucked some major ass, but I really loved the music.

If Star Ocean 2 was released on the psn I'd probably get that. I never did finish that game from *cough* another backup of mine...

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Never played Xenogears, which is I hear one of the best RPG's of all time.

PLEASE BRING IT OVER SCEA!!! DON"T BE STUPID!![/quote]
I can tell you, in my opinion, it's one of the most boring and long RPGs ever. Best? No. Worst? Close(r).

Anyway, there's no guarantee of what will happen stateside, since SCEA and Square Enix USA need to come to an agreement. This agreement is for SCEJ and Square Enix (SCEJ != SCEA, they pretty much separate themselves).

There are some Square Enix games I want as downloads (they are one of the only publishers games I'd buy), but we'll see if they ever come. All I know of is that I could careless about the Taito stuff (some is in Taito Legends 2).

[quote name='b3b0p']I can tell you, in my opinion, it's one of the most boring and long RPGs ever. Best? No. Worst? Close(r).[/QUOTE]
This from an Earthbound fan. Xenogears is great if you like a good story, and can deal with text that you can't speed up.

Definitely would buy Einhander if it came here. Played a lot of the demo on PS1 but never got around to it.

I still have my JP version of Einhander hanging around along with my US version of Xenogears but this remains potentially great news.

Xenogears has a great soundtrack and theme. Got it off amazon 2 years ago for 15 bucks. I must not have fully grasped the combat system because I just got out of the caves and get my ass handed to me during the next bossfight where you face off against like 5-6 badguys in mech suits.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Never played Xenogears, which is I hear one of the best RPG's of all time.

PLEASE BRING IT OVER SCEA!!! DON"T BE STUPID!![/quote]

[quote name='pete5883']This from an Earthbound fan. Xenogears is great if you like a good story, and can deal with text that you can't speed up.[/quote]

I still have my original copy of Xenogears. I don't think it's one of best of all time but it's a solid RPG with a good story.

Actually, I never even finished Xenogears. There is a part where there is a cut scene with alot of text (^which you can't speed up). I swear it was like 15-20 minutes long. Anyways, after I went through the cut scene, I had to leave quickly and turned the game off without saving. :shock: Needless to say, I didn't want to sit through that again so I never played it again.

They may matter, but I disagree! I really loved Xenogears, despite the last half or so of the game being pretty rushed. There's only like 3-4 parts where you cant skip text, so I don't know why people complain about it so much.

It also had one of the best battle systems ever.

A big chunk of the 2nd half was horrible when they took away control and went cutscene, battle, cutscene battle.

These were the fruits of Squaresoft's rushing the team to finish.

Otherwise it was great.

Am I the only one slightly disappointed in this news? Seems to me that this will kill any chances of remakes/enhancements for PSP/PS3, ala FF:Tactics and Valkyrie Profile. I can still see them doing full on remakes, like possibly for FF7, but I would have liked updates to Xenogears and Vagrant Story, etc.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Am I the only one slightly disappointed in this news? Seems to me that this will kill any chances of remakes/enhancements for PSP/PS3, ala FF:Tactics and Valkyrie Profile. I can still see them doing full on remakes, like possibly for FF7, but I would have liked updates to Xenogears and Vagrant Story, etc.[/QUOTE]

$5.50, dude.

$5.50.

[quote name='mykevermin']Having fewer than 25 PSX classics on the US PSN compared to ~210 on the JPN PSN is more or less skull fucking us.[/quote]

wow their is 25 games on PSN? I never noticed that honesty most be because half of them are worthless lol except Wild Arms, hmm I wonder how much that cost? and how do you go about buying it

[quote name='Poor2More']wow their is 25 games on PSN?[/quote]

No. There *are* 25 games on PSN, though.

I never noticed that honesty most be because half of them are worthless lol except Wild Arms, hmm I wonder how much that cost? and how do you go about buying it

Oh my.

[quote name='mykevermin']

Oh my.[/quote]What do you have against Wild Arms? It's unique setting? The great runes/character customization? The excellent soundtrack? The huge overworld to explore?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']What do you have against Wild Arms? It's unique setting? The great runes/character customization? The excellent soundtrack? The huge overworld to explore?[/quote]

I agree, Wild Arms was so awesome when it came out

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']What do you have against Wild Arms? It's unique setting? The great runes/character customization? The excellent soundtrack? The huge overworld to explore?[/QUOTE]
I don't think it was the "Wild Arms" part he was referring to.

Well since Xenogears = RPG, i'm guessing i wouldn't be able to understand most of it in japanese. I can always buy yen cards from play-asia.com if need be (idk if these will ever make it stateside), but are any of these games playable w/o knowledge in japanese?

I WANT XENOGEARS :cry:

[quote name='the_punisher']Well since Xenogears = RPG, i'm guessing i wouldn't be able to understand most of it in japanese. I can always buy yen cards from play-asia.com if need be (idk if these will ever make it stateside), but are any of these games playable w/o knowledge in japanese?:cry:[/quote]

Einh&aulm;nder should be pretty playable regardless of the language. I think they actually tweaked the Western version to make it a little easier, so maybe that's even a reason for fans to try the Japanese one.

I wouldn't bother with Xenogears if you won't be able to understand the story. (Those in the anti-Xenogears camp can go ahead and have a field day with that line.) It's got a fantastic soundtrack and a really fun battle system, but playing it without being able to read anything seems pointless to me.

These should be in the hong kong store in about a week or two if luck is with us. I'll buy it from there. At least for Rakugaki and Einhander.

I'm not even going to crack a smile for this shit if it isn't coming to America. Unless one day the PSN (US) store just bursts with a slew of PS1 titles. I'm tired of this.. I want to play PS1 games, not all of them, but I'd love to play them via PSP... oh well guess we have to wait another year for this too.

[quote name='mykevermin']Having fewer than 25 PSX classics on the US PSN compared to ~210 on the JPN PSN is more or less skull fucking us.[/QUOTE]

I think the guys who run this stuff hook up with the guys that run the VC releases and discuss ways to piss off their respective users. Like they all sit at the same lunch table in the cafeteria, high fiving each other when new devious schemes are invented, highlighted with posts from various forums. Probably have a scale to rank everything on.

Not unlike the MOD Square from Thank You For Smoking.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Am I the only one slightly disappointed in this news? Seems to me that this will kill any chances of remakes/enhancements for PSP/PS3, ala FF:Tactics and Valkyrie Profile. I can still see them doing full on remakes, like possibly for FF7, but I would have liked updates to Xenogears and Vagrant Story, etc.[/quote]

It also has the potential to renew interest in lesser known IPs and spawn possible sequels to them. Of course, that doesn't mean they would be good... but I'd love to see them pick up older franchises that aren't plastered with 'Final Fantasy' (although I love the series).

[quote name='Strell']I think the guys who run this stuff hook up with the guys that run the VC releases and discuss ways to piss off their respective users. Like they all sit at the same lunch table in the cafeteria, high fiving each other when new devious schemes are invented, highlighted with posts from various forums. Probably have a scale to rank everything on.

Not unlike the MOD Square from Thank You For Smoking.[/QUOTE]

P'raps we could debate on whether or not it is worse to get nothing at all, or to get Burning Fight, or Urban Champion, or whatever VC tripe is trotted out each Monday that can commonly be referred to by their common subtitle of "not Earthbound."

I figure they'd make a pretty good amount of cash releasing their PS1 games on the PSN...as opposed to re-making a fucking Final Fantasy game for the 32549th time. I know I'd definitely pick up some of the games I don't have and probably a few I do.

[quote name='HustlerKid']Was that Maria from Mischief Makers in that vid? [/quote]

That is exactly what game I thought of when I saw that character!

bread's done
Back