SSBM Training day 1

gamemasterjd

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do for a SSBM (super smash bros melee n00bs) tourney me and my friends are havin? its a 20 person single elimination tourney, no kirby no yoshi, $10 a person. i have been playin 2 lv 9s at a time and 3 8s. any suggestions?

[quote name='gamemasterjd']Does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do for a SSBM (super smash bros melee n00bs) tourney me and my friends are havin? its a 20 person single elimination tourney, no kirby no yoshi, $10 a person. i have been playin 2 lv 9s at a time and 3 8s. any suggestions?[/quote]

What's the matter? Afraid to take on Yoshii and Kirby?

Why no Kirby, no Yoshi? They're just as beatable as any other character in the game.

edit - If I were to kick any character out of the tourney.. it'd be damn Jigglypuff, damn float move makes him a pain in the neck to finish. But still, if I'm having a tournament for cash.. I'd leave it 100% open for characters. Of course it'd also be round robin, double elimination, 3 falls. But that's just me.

I would play with your friends rather than computers. You don't improve as much with computers unless your friends aren't good at all. The comp gets a little predictable. Also, if the tournament's 1 on 1 battles, I would practice 1 on 1. It plays a lot differently than 4 player melee or team.

The first thing you have to do is find the character who's right for you. Once you find your character, then you can start honing your skills. Familiarize yourself with all of the moves, learn when to use them, and take advantage of your character's strengths. One more thing - master the triple jump. It is probably the most important skill to have in the game.

And since this is Melee we are talking about, make sure to master the c-stick. And rolling is always key. Know what all the items do and know the rate of descent for all of the items and characters. My friends hate me for it, but I can peg most of them with capsules from across the stage and if you can stay away from them but still hurt them you have a real advantage.

[quote name='Tromack']And since this is Melee we are talking about, make sure to master the c-stick.[/quote]
ewww...I hate the c-stick.

basic:
- triple jump (Y, Y, up+B?)
- roll (R + left/right)
- strong attack juggles (slightly tilt joystick + A)
- throw setups
- air dodge (R in air)
- ground dodge (R+down)
- grab (Z)
- defensive grab (hold R, wait for attack, press A)
- ledge guard (spike? depending on character)
- get around a ledge guarder
- short jump (tap Y)

Tell me what character you're using, and I'll elaborate

Oddly enough, I've never used the Y button for jumping. It just doesn't feel right to me for some reason. X also jumps, by the way.

I only play as Kirby because when I was new to it I figured out how to fly to save my self, onlike the other ones. Kirby is so light weight that DK or Bowser can kill him when he's only at 60% damage. I really don't see why you banned him...

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Why no Kirby, no Yoshi? They're just as beatable as any other character in the game.

edit - If I were to kick any character out of the tourney.. it'd be damn Jigglypuff, damn float move makes him a pain in the neck to finish. But still, if I'm having a tournament for cash.. I'd leave it 100% open for characters. Of course it'd also be round robin, double elimination, 3 falls. But that's just me.[/quote]

I like your style. If I was going to set up a tourney, I'd do it the same way.

[quote name='Battousai1002'][quote name='Tromack']And since this is Melee we are talking about, make sure to master the c-stick.[/quote]

basic:
- roll (R + left/right)
- throw setups
- air dodge (R in air)
- ground dodge (R+down)
- grab (Z)
- short jump (tap Y)

Tell me what character you're using, and I'll elaborate[/quote]

What do you have against the c-stick. Sure it lacks the finesse of a real smash attack, but it allows for faster reactions.

I would kick out Jigglypuff. Anyone who figures out how to exploit the Sleep move will dominate the tourney. Unless you want to use JP...

[quote name='Tromack'][quote name='Battousai1002'][quote name='Tromack']And since this is Melee we are talking about, make sure to master the c-stick.[/quote]

basic:
- roll (R + left/right)
- throw setups
- air dodge (R in air)
- ground dodge (R+down)
- grab (Z)
- short jump (tap Y)

What do you have against the c-stick. Sure it lacks the finesse of a real smash attack, but it allows for faster reactions.[/quote]
I have a few friends that ONLY use the c-stick. Because of it, they never use a neutral A or strong attacks. I tell them that strong attacks can rack up a lot of percentage when the enemy's at a low percentage, but they don't really listen.

[quote name='Battousai1002'][quote name='Tromack'][quote name='Battousai1002'][quote name='Tromack']And since this is Melee we are talking about, make sure to master the c-stick.[/quote]

basic:
- roll (R + left/right)
- throw setups
- air dodge (R in air)
- ground dodge (R+down)
- grab (Z)
- short jump (tap Y)

What do you have against the c-stick. Sure it lacks the finesse of a real smash attack, but it allows for faster reactions.[/quote]
I have a few friends that ONLY use the c-stick. Because of it, they never use a neutral A or strong attacks. I tell them that strong attacks can rack up a lot of percentage when the enemy's at a low percentage, but they don't really listen.[/quote]

Ok, I agree with that. But I still believe that proper use of the c-stick is key to success in the game.

[quote name='Mouse']I would kick out Jigglypuff. Anyone who figures out how to exploit the Sleep move will dominate the tourney. Unless you want to use JP...[/quote]

No character is dominating.. SSBM is very balanced and that's a good part of what makes the game so enjoyable. I honestly believe I could beat any character with any character in the game.

And Jigglypuff actually being able to KO someone through heavy use of the sleep move.. I sure hope people are slightly better than that if they're joining a cash tournament.

If you you're having trouble with someone abusing Jigglypuff's sleep move what about Luigi? I never had a problem with that, I'd just wait till they messed up and pounded on her.

I'd say everyone can use every charcter. It's fairly balanced, but that's because it's not that technical. Everyone basicly plays the same.

When I was in collage my dorm held a 2 Team double elimination. And I went to an Art School so their were alot of video game freaks, but me and my friend rocked, him using Link and I used power house Gannondorf.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='Mouse']I would kick out Jigglypuff. Anyone who figures out how to exploit the Sleep move will dominate the tourney. Unless you want to use JP...[/quote]

No character is dominating.. SSBM is very balanced and that's a good part of what makes the game so enjoyable. I honestly believe I could beat any character with any character in the game.

And Jigglypuff actually being able to KO someone through heavy use of the sleep move.. I sure hope people are slightly better than that if they're joining a cash tournament.[/quote]
I have a lot of trouble beating anyone with Pichu. As for the other characters, I pretty much agree. And I agree with the Jigglypuff thing. I've only seen sleep work in a 4 player mayhem, where people are distracted. Never a 1 on 1 fight.

For an amusing read, read Dabid!'s faqs on gamefaqs.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/game/32502.html

Here's an excerpt from the Kirby one...I especially like the last sentence.

Finally, we have the Stone. This was Kirby's best move in the original,
and it still is. You can float over someone or even a group of people,
then drop on them as the Stone to cause damage (less now than the
original) and kill opponents with a lot of damage. Kirby is
invulnerable while doing the Stone, though he can be thrown as a Stone.
If someone is throwing a Bob-Omb at you, you want to destroy a mine, or
you want to knock someone with the Hammer off the level, use the Stone.
This move is Kirby's best, and should be mastered and used as often as
possible.

ok ok, i lied a little...well a lot. this tourney is actually a gamecrazy tourney. no cash but i did do sumthin similar to this a while ago. anyhows, they say that you can cheat with kirby and yoshi. my best guesses are:
Kirby-can fly
Yoshi- suck up and move to edge then put in egg on the edge.

besides that i have no clue. I pesonally like either marth or roy because they have the strongest a+> same time or smash attacks. i also use samus, and falco or fox. none of my friends nor my brother can stop me so i am reduced to playin comps. i usually train wit 3 lv 9ines all against me. last time i think i killed 2 and got one down to 5 (stock of 20). the tourny is on the 31th, and there not acceptin anymore entries. they have tourneys on the last saturday of each month and is sponsered by the big N (nintendo, dolts). well any more training suggestions?

oh,btw guys and gals, i have no idea about the items nor the setup.oh and i case some of you didnt know, ther is a fourth+ jump. i discovered this when my friend was playin as luigi. it is < or > + b for marth. he does like a slash attack that moves him about 2in closer, and doesnt make him volnerable. i also know that luigi's is v+b and he explodes. ^.^ they dont call me the gamemaster for nothin...

[quote name='gamemasterjd']ok ok, i lied a little...well a lot. this tourney is actually a gamecrazy tourney. no cash but i did do sumthin similar to this a while ago. anyhows, they say that you can cheat with kirby and yoshi. my best guesses are:
Kirby-can fly
Yoshi- suck up and move to edge then put in egg on the edge.[/quote]

That's hilarious.

[quote name='gamemasterjd']ok ok, i lied a little...well a lot. this tourney is actually a gamecrazy tourney. no cash but i did do sumthin similar to this a while ago. anyhows, they say that you can cheat with kirby and yoshi. my best guesses are:
Kirby-can fly
Yoshi- suck up and move to edge then put in egg on the edge.

besides that i have no clue. I pesonally like either marth or roy because they have the strongest a+> same time or smash attacks. i also use samus, and falco or fox. none of my friends nor my brother can stop me so i am reduced to playin comps. i usually train wit 3 lv 9ines all against me. last time i think i killed 2 and got one down to 5 (stock of 20). the tourny is on the 31th, and there not acceptin anymore entries. they have tourneys on the last saturday of each month and is sponsered by the big N (nintendo, dolts). well any more training suggestions?

oh,btw guys and gals, i have no idea about the items nor the setup.oh and i case some of you didnt know, ther is a fourth+ jump. i discovered this when my friend was playin as luigi. it is < or > + b for marth. he does like a slash attack that moves him about 2in closer, and doesnt make him volnerable. i also know that luigi's is v+b and he explodes. ^.^ they dont call me the gamemaster for nothin...[/quote]
The foward B for marth is really good as recovery. For people that don't know, you can keep pressing foward B and recover from almost anything. Don't complete his combo though. Just keep doing the first part of the 4. Another cool one is Samus's bombs. She can bounce off her own bomb explosions to move far laterally. After the bombs you still have your second jump and up+B (or R+A).

I suggest you learn the Samus bomb recovery if you don't know it yet. Also get good at spiking with Falco and Marth. I think they have the best spikes in the game. The short jump might help.

[quote name='gamemasterjd']Does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do for a SSBM (super smash bros melee n00bs) tourney me and my friends are havin? its a 20 person single elimination tourney, no kirby no yoshi, $10 a person. i have been playin 2 lv 9s at a time and 3 8s. any suggestions?[/quote]

No reason to have no Kirby and Yoshi. They aren't even close to the best characters. Actually, Kirby is very weak compared to the tower of strength he was in the original SSB.

As for practicing, what can I say, find good human players and play a lot. Computer players are fast and all, but they are stupid and play the game a lot differently than humans. I can take on 3 level 9 comps and kick their asses every time because of their predictability and stupidity. Good human players will never be predictable or stupid. Also you might want to concentrate on getting good with one character. Pick whoever you are good at and like their moves and practice up. Most characters have a good chance of winning if they are played correctly as SSBM is a very well balanced game, so pick who you feel good playing and have success with already.

Good luck! :)

Play with Marth instead of Roy. Marth is top tier while Roy is only middle:

http://qwester.supersheep.org/TierFAQ.htm

I think Marth has better As, and Roy has Better Bs. As are more important. Don't disregard Marth's throw, just cuz it doesn't send them anywhere. His ridiculous grabbing range makes his throws valuable, and you can setup for something else after the throws too. Don't overuse his counterattack, since the enemy can easily mix up attacks, throws, or delayed attacks. I use it in the air more than the ground, because you don't have as many alternatives in the air...not to mention that the enemy is more predictable when they try to get you in air. On the ground, you can shield, do a ground dodge, roll, etc.

The biggest problem I have with playing computers is that since comps think the same way every time, it forces you into a pattern. Without enough exposure to playing with people, you become predictable. Try not to play in a pattern and try to adjust to the enemy. My friends hate me for anticipating their rolls rather than rolling with them.

Uhhh...I dunno what else to say. Good luck?

I think Marth has better As, and Roy has Better Bs. As are more important.

Argh, that's my main problem with Melee. In the original, it relied a lot more on the B-attacks and throws than the A-attacks. Those were more for just a little quick damage when your opponents were knocked out. The way they made the B attacks and throws useless pisses me off so much.

[quote name='Stargun007']
I think Marth has better As, and Roy has Better Bs. As are more important.

Argh, that's my main problem with Melee. In the original, it relied a lot more on the B-attacks and throws than the A-attacks. Those were more for just a little quick damage when your opponents were knocked out. The way they made the B attacks and throws useless pisses me off so much.[/quote]

Haha. Well, I got really sick of the overpowered throws in the original, so I guess I'm the opposite of your opinion here: I like the fact that they weakened throws quite a bit! :)

any one notice that Fox's sheild deflector thingy, got weaker in melee? it now absorbs the attacks. in the first one they bounced off always.shoot a laser against another fox and it would deflect all day!

you should contact me I am the SSBM god, i cant be beaten and anyone who wants too challenge me is more than welcome too, I can use any character and win hands down, my favorite types of matches are 3 on ones where I massacre 3 level 9ers or massacre 3 of my friends, so yea just play it alot and practice

[quote name='gamemasterjd']any one notice that Fox's sheild deflector thingy, got weaker in melee? it now absorbs the attacks. in the first one they bounced off always.shoot a laser against another fox and it would deflect all day![/quote]

if you mean bouncing a laser btwn 2 foxes the shield actually breaks in ssb and ssbm

[quote name='gamemasterjd']any one notice that Fox's sheild deflector thingy, got weaker in melee? it now absorbs the attacks. in the first one they bounced off always.shoot a laser against another fox and it would deflect all day![/quote]

Its a reflect, not an absorb... are you thinking of Ness.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']you should contact me I am the SSBM god, i cant be beaten and anyone who wants too challenge me is more than welcome too, I can use any character and win hands down, my favorite types of matches are 3 on ones where I massacre 3 level 9ers or massacre 3 of my friends, so yea just play it alot and practice[/quote]
You should probably just give him some advice... I think he was asking for miscellaneous tips.

I have NO idea what you're talking about. It still reflects attacks. You shoot a laser at it, and it'll reflect.

Fox and Marth in my opnion are the best players in the game, they easy for begginners and good enough for experts, if you are playing Fox remember C + up it is probably the best finisher in the entire game.

"This file is hosted by Tripod, a Lycos®Network Site, and is not available for download. Please check out Tripod's Help system for more information about Remote Loading and our Remote Loading policy. "

Try copying and pasting the file into your address bar. You can also right click the link and select "Save Target As" to save the file onto your harddrive. I just tried it, and it worked for me.

If all else fails, try to catch me on AIM: yellowaznboy316 and I'll send you the file.

Impressive, yellow. You're better than me (if you're fox). I like the short jump, drill kick, reflect, wave-dash thing. At least I think that's what you were doing... It's a little hard to see.

practice wiggling the 2nd player cord out of the 2nd port.

as soon as you can do this without being noticed, you are ready.

bread's done
Back