SSD Deal?

thrifty1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm thinking about getting the 1tb 850 evo ssd for my ps4 since it got price cut down to $370.

$.37 per gb seems like it's one of the better deals on this brand of ssd but compared to mechanical 7200rpm drives priced as low as $.05 per gb they still have alot of room to drop.

Should I pull the trigger now or wait for a black friday type sale in the future when there will be possibly larger ssds. Basically how good of a deal is this relative to the eventual drop in SSD prices?

And yeah i know the PS4 is limited by the sata 2 which can only transfer 220mb/sec? But I looked up 7200 rpm drives and it seems they only transfer 80 or 90mb at best. So even if it's limited it will still be much faster. Hybrids had load times about on par with the 7200 drives so im not really interested in those either.

I'm mainly looking into this because bloodborne supposedly has up to 50 second load times if you die near the beginning of a level (before the day 1 patch which may improve load times).

And I  guess I could decide to put the default drive back in and use the ssd towards a future pc build.

I guess i'll wait and see how much the load times bother me first but im looking to get more input on this before i spend that much money.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only huge issue I would be concerned about with putting a SSD in a PS4 would be TRIM for cleanup of the drive.  If the OS doesn't support TRIM, then you could end up with a SSD over time that could be as slow as a mechanical hard drive. 

The price on that 850 EVO is a good price, yes, though again, if the PS4 doesn't support TRIM, you may have issues with a SSD in there.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i did my homework on this and read up on trim. But from messaging 3 people who have installed samsung ssds, none of them have noticed any degredation so i'm going to test my luck.

Pulled the trigger on the 850 evo 1tb for $370

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i did my homework on this and read up on trim. But from messaging 3 people who have installed samsung ssds, none of them have noticed any degredation so i'm going to test my luck.

Pulled the trigger on the 850 evo 1tb for $370
Degradation in performance can take some time to occur, if you don't have the drive 50% or more full with data. You may not see it happen for a while, though you'll see how it behaves over time.

I was thinking about getting one of those Seagate Solid State Hybrid 1 TB hard drives, but I heard they are coming out with a 2 TB in the late summer. The real solid state hard drives are out of my price range.

bread's done
Back