SSX - Demo out now! Game releases 2/28/12 :: IGN Review 9.0

I just spent 320 MS points on 1M credits and I immediately regretted it. Agh. I got that last ME3 board, though, so whatevah. I really wish there was some element of real-time multiplayer in this, it'd be cool to be able to grab 5 buddies or so and all compete in one race. Game's still very cool, though, I'm enjoyin it.

Edit: Just realized that the boards are only bought for Zoe. ...Ah. I thought it was just in general. I don't like Zoe. Well now I feel stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do have a kind of real time mutiplayer in global events. However everybody starts whenever they want to and it's timed, not all at the same time. If you just stay in the copter you'll see people jumping out endlessly. So you could get your friends together and have everybody jump out at the same time. That's the closest thing we've got to a real online race, as opposed to just timed. So I wish it had starting line races. You do have them in the single player, which is weird, then, to not have them in online. Still an excellent game, but yes I think it would be all the better with true starting line online multiplayer.

Just purchased this from Gamestop. I never played the old games or at least I dont remember playing them...didnt think much of this until it was on sale and d/l the demo and wow...I wasen't expecting much but it was really fun. I'll be playing this most of the weekend.

Snagged this at GS today. Traded a few games I had recently finished or that were just taking up shelf space. Excited to try this out over the weekend. :D

Also got it from GS and this is honestly one of the biggest disappointmets ever for me. Liked Tricky and enjoyed the demo but the full game is awful. Too much worrying about control and flying off the mountain, just not fun at all. The Deadly Descent stuff was a terrible idea. Will be dumping this very soon.

It is a bit of a change when you hit the tracks that involve cliffs and all that, I went from doing JT2 to Zombies with Jetpacks or whatever it was, and spent a huge majority of time having to rewind and not fall off the cliff. Didn't expect that at all. Not nearly as fun, but I'm still enjoying the game.

When I got the game, I misunderstood a bit and thought there was actually real-time multiplayer in there. It only really seemed natural for them to include that...it's still fun to try to beat all your scores, but i'm not playing the game nearly as much as I would if real races were included.

I don't like the falling of cliffs stuff either, but the ones that don't have that (or not so much) are fun. I like the geotags feature. It *is* fun grabbing a geotag down some cliff, then rewinding back out and continuing, so that bit I like about it. :) I wish it had real online races too. So, a little disappointing in that sense, but still a fun game overall. Hopefully it does well enough to result in a sequel that will improve upon it.

I don't know why people are so wrapped up in real-time races. This is essentially the same thing, and you don't have to wait around for enough people to get a race going.

Because when a race is close and your are gaining on somebody who's getting close to the finish line, that's exciting stuff. In this game you could seem to be doing that, but actually be far behind (or ahead for that matter). Having starting gate races would definitely be a valuable addition to the game and it's a shame they didn't include it.

[quote name='bs000']You can unlock level 11 with 1 million credits now. It's like another 2 million xp to get from 10 to 11.[/QUOTE]

Ha just got 10 yesterday thought that was the highest.

[quote name='DestroVega']I don't know why people are so wrapped up in real-time races. This is essentially the same thing, and you don't have to wait around for enough people to get a race going.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? It's not even close to the same thing. I for one am not buying it specifically for the lack of multiplayer. This is god damn SSX and the fact they didn't include real multiplayer, online or same console, is inexcusable. I play a lot of games, especially sports ones, with my group of friends. We play four player NBA Jam, Halo: Reach, NFL Blitz, Raccoon City, etc. It's a pretty big deal to the people that are constantly playing games with real life friends.

What makes it even more annoying is how fun the fucking game is! I loved the demo, and all the reviews are saying the final product is just as good. What a shame...

[quote name='Nealocus123']Are you kidding? It's not even close to the same thing. I for one am not buying it specifically for the lack of multiplayer. This is god damn SSX and the fact they didn't include real multiplayer, online or same console, is inexcusable. I play a lot of games, especially sports ones, with my group of friends. We play four player NBA Jam, Halo: Reach, NFL Blitz, Raccoon City, etc. It's a pretty big deal to the people that are constantly playing games with real life friends.

What makes it even more annoying is how fun the fucking game is! I loved the demo, and all the reviews are saying the final product is just as good. What a shame...[/QUOTE]

It's not the same but skiing and snowboarding races aren't all at once anyway. So the game is actually true to the sport.

Picked up the game finally, enjoying it a lot. I had to try the Trick It event 4 or 5 times before I nailed a domination score but after that I really felt satisfied. I've tried a global challenge as well, lol noob mistake. So are the ME3 boards still in the store?

The ME3 boards are loooong gone, unfortunately. I nabbed a couple of em before realizing that it wasn't a universal buy, was just specific to the character, so I wasted 3 boards worth of credit on Zoe who I don't play. :/

I have to get back into this game, I played it for a little bit, but then Battlefield 3 took my soul again.

Destro - Use the right character for the run (some are better at trick, speed, etc.) Build your character up, use Mods, and upgraded equipment. They can make a huge difference in your final score. Finding a good line down a mountain is also crucial. I like to do a couple of runs down a mountain to see where some of the good jumps are located.

I'm certainly not great at this game, but I have been going back and replaying some of the areas. I found doing the things listed above my scores have tended to jump. I know that you probably do most of those things already, but it is what helped me to improve my scores.

[quote name='DestroVega']Any tips for trick it? On my best runs I'm only middle of the pack.[/QUOTE]

• Don't rewind. It kills your score hard.
  • Flips are worth more points than spins.
  • Pre-wind for more flips.
  • Do two button tricks.
  • Tweak all your tricks. It's worth more points.
  • Hold one trick through the whole jump. It's worth more points.
  • Don't lose your combo. Do ground tricks or do little jumps with 1-2 flips between big jumps to keep your combo going.
  • Don't use your signature trick. Weird as it sounds, it's worth a little less points compared to regular 2 button super ubers.

bread's done
Back