Star Fox Assualt A lot better than reviews say (UPDATED IMPRESSIONS)

pumbaa

CAGiversary!
I just rented this (because I have no money and of the soso reviews...), and its awesome. I love it... the land missions take a little getting used to, but they are great once you do. The voices are pretty damn good... and I love the music. I'm not sure what game the reviews are looking at, but this one is defintely a buy for me. Hurray for Krystal becoming part of the team as well. Makes me wish Dinosaur Planet had turned out to be a better game. (Oddly enough, Starfox Adventures got a lot better reviews than SF:A so far on gamerankings. By a large margin as well.

EDIT: After some more play time, I truly do love this game. The first ground mission really blows compared to the other ones. They toss you into a base where everything looks similar... and the frustration is compounded by the fact that you don't know what the hell you are doing. Grit your teeth and get through that first mission and a helluva game waits for you. Other ground missions are challenging and exciting. The different guns are cool as well (Blaster, Machine Gun, Gatlin Gun, Rocket Launcher, Mines, and Remote Bombs so far) and the seemlessness between vehicle is awesome. You'll be on the ground and Slippy will need help (surprise, surprise)... you'll be able to jump into the Arwing, help him, grab some silver rings, and land right back where you were. Hell you can even jump out of the Arwinf in mid-flight on these ground missions. Don't believe the reviews, this game deserves at least an 8... if not an 8.5 in my book.

One final thing that stands out to me. The music is amazing, I love the new take on the old theme... and all the other music is outstanding to me. I don't think I've enjoyed music in a game more actually, its that good.

I'm hearing from CAGs that they like it. That's good. I'm one of the few who actually liked StarFox Adventures, hopefully I'll like this as well.

[quote name='Trakan']I'm hearing from CAGs that they like it. That's good. I'm one of the few who actually liked StarFox Adventures, hopefully I'll like this as well.[/quote]

SF:A was a cool game, but it was oddly boring. It should have been good, I just don't know why it wasn't good or why it was boring. Beautiful graphics, interesting story. I think what turned me off were the ridiculous puzzles. And Tricky... damn him.

From what I have heard it's the same thing as the past games with lame land mission.

If I can't fly around freely like I can in Star Wars games than it's just lame.

I wish it was all flying, where the series belongs. But I'll pick it up when it's on sale for sure. I'd get it now if I didn't have a few games to play.

This game is seriously kickass in multiplayer. Ive already had countless sessions with 4 of my pals on a projector screen.

Good stuff. SOme of the levels are a bit too spread out, but the mix of arwing/landmaster/on paws variety add alot.

Teamplay is great too. :3

I heard that there was some co-op action in the game (EB's preorder page mentioned it) but I haven't heard a thing since about it. Anybody know?

I'm getting really tired of the slightly improved franchise ports from N64 to Gamecube. I guess we can just add one more to the list. I really don't see much difference between generations here, especially in the graphics department. Multi-player? Sure, it's got multiplayer. It's got levels practically void of detail, depth, or textures. There's absolutely no way I would purchase this game until it becomes a PC title, there's just not much here. I'll call it Mario-Fox as Fox is now getting the milking that Mario has enjoyed for the last 15 years. I'm sure they can remake it yet again before the death of the Cube to be a "cartoony" version. They can call it StarFauxkker, ocarina of time and space. This is after Mario olympics and Mario synchronized swimming come out.

[quote name='bmulligan']I'll call it Mario-Fox as Fox is now getting the milking that Mario has enjoyed for the last 15 years. I'm sure they can remake it yet again before the death of the Cube to be a "cartoony" version. They can call it StarFauxkker, ocarina of time and space.[/quote]

I don't quite understand how StarFox has been "milked". There has only been one iteration of the game on each Nintendo console since it's inception.

[quote name='SteveMcQ'][quote name='bmulligan']I'll call it Mario-Fox as Fox is now getting the milking that Mario has enjoyed for the last 15 years. I'm sure they can remake it yet again before the death of the Cube to be a "cartoony" version. They can call it StarFauxkker, ocarina of time and space.[/quote]

I don't quite understand how StarFox has been "milked". There has only been one iteration of the game on each Nintendo console since it's inception.[/quote]

And if your beef with it is that its similar to the other Starfoxes, get another hobby. Sequel don't mess around with a good formula (see Halo, MGS, Metroid Prime, and GTA) just expand on it. They did just that with StarFox and Super Mario Sunshine for that matter.

I enjoyed the game but beat it in 3 hours. I was very disappointed that there are ONLY 3 standard "On Rail" Missions. The rest of the missions are standard open arenas where you can switch vehicles. Also, the game got rid of the multiple flight paths that you could take to the final goal. This game is not anywhere near the quality of Starfox64.

I played the demo today at Gamestop while my friend pre-ordered GT4. The on-foot controls were not bad and the Arwing missions were pretty fun. I'm still going to wait until it drops to around $20-30 since I was hoping it would be mostly on-rail missions.

[quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='SteveMcQ'][quote name='bmulligan']I'll call it Mario-Fox as Fox is now getting the milking that Mario has enjoyed for the last 15 years. I'm sure they can remake it yet again before the death of the Cube to be a "cartoony" version. They can call it StarFauxkker, ocarina of time and space.[/quote]

I don't quite understand how StarFox has been "milked". There has only been one iteration of the game on each Nintendo console since it's inception.[/quote]

And if your beef with it is that its similar to the other Starfoxes, get another hobby. Sequel don't mess around with a good formula (see Halo, MGS, Metroid Prime, and GTA) just expand on it. They did just that with StarFox and Super Mario Sunshine for that matter.[/quote]

Wow what I great agruement you have! :roll:

Halo was great, there was nothing that had to be changed, in Halo 3/4 they will most likely add things, plus they did add this little thing called online.

Metriod Prime, wow use a Nintendo game that proves his point that Nintendo is now just milking their "knewn" games to death.

MGS doesn't change, but it's a terrible game and more like a movie, movies never change.

Have you played GTA recently? They improved it greatly. I hate the series, but the newest one is like a Sims game, much improved.

So what's left in your agruement? Oh yeah that Star Fox and SMS doesn't suck because you say they don't.

:roll:

I like this game. I just started with it for a little bit last night. The flying missions are definitely awesome. Starfox at its best.

I think the land missions are good as well but I have to agree that Starfox to me is all about the flying missions. I feel as though the land missons are good because it is fast paced...fox can really move. The controls aren't perfect but a lot better than what I thought they were going to be.

I know a lot of people hate slightly updated games but if they stuck with the Starfox 64 way of things I would have been fine with that. One of the main reasons I still have my N64.

[quote name='David85'][quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='SteveMcQ'][quote name='bmulligan']I'll call it Mario-Fox as Fox is now getting the milking that Mario has enjoyed for the last 15 years. I'm sure they can remake it yet again before the death of the Cube to be a "cartoony" version. They can call it StarFauxkker, ocarina of time and space.[/quote]

And if your beef with it is that its similar to the other Starfoxes, get another hobby. Sequel don't mess around with a good formula (see Halo, MGS, Metroid Prime, and GTA) just expand on it. They did just that with StarFox and Super Mario Sunshine for that matter.[/quote]

Halo was great, there was nothing that had to be changed, in Halo 3/4 they will most likely add things, plus they did add this little thing called online.

Metriod Prime, wow use a Nintendo game that proves his point that Nintendo is now just milking their "knewn" games to death.

MGS doesn't change, but it's a terrible game and more like a movie, movies never change.

Have you played GTA recently? They improved it greatly. I hate the series, but the newest one is like a Sims game, much improved.

So what's left in your agruement? Oh yeah that Star Fox and SMS doesn't suck because you say they don't.

:roll:[/quote]

Its really kind of funny Dave. MGS sucks because YOU say it sucks. (gamerankings.com thinks otherwise with it 93.4%) The core games of Halo, GTA, and MGS didn't change all that much and nothings wrong with that. Sequel are just that... they exist because the creator of the game wanted to EXPAND on the original ideas. Ass.

I have to disagree with the OP. I was really looking forward to playing Assault, becuase I love the Star Fox franchise. After playing through (nearly completed) the game, I must say I was very disappointed. The voices, IMO, were terrible. Painful to listen to. Hell, at first I thought they were funny, but 20 minutes into the game I wanted a damn mute button! The flight levels were fine and good, but the land missions were not something I enjoyed. I didn't like the camera angle, nor the shooting style. The Landmaster was good in Star Fox 64, if basically the same thing as the Arwing. But I don't like how it is used in this game. Of course, this is all IMO. I will be buying this after it drops in price. I just don't think it's worth much at full price...

Picked it up for 30 and im glad i didnt pay more.
The Arwing levels are great, except i wish more were on rails, and there were more of them.
On foot is allright, controls well.
Landmaster: only played one level with it, but i couldnt get used to the controls. I actually died once in it.

[quote name='Rig']I have to disagree with the OP. I was really looking forward to playing Assault, becuase I love the Star Fox franchise. After playing through (nearly completed) the game, I must say I was very disappointed. The voices, IMO, were terrible. Painful to listen to. Hell, at first I thought they were funny, but 20 minutes into the game I wanted a damn mute button! The flight levels were fine and good, but the land missions were not something I enjoyed. I didn't like the camera angle, nor the shooting style. The Landmaster was good in Star Fox 64, if basically the same thing as the Arwing. But I don't like how it is used in this game. Of course, this is all IMO. I will be buying this after it drops in price. I just don't think it's worth much at full price...[/quote]

I agree with you about the $49.99 price. I rented it, maybe thats why I wasn't disappointed with it. I'll wait until it becomes players choice before I buy it, but I did the same thing with PoP (I later bought it for Xbox). To each his own I suppose.

The on foot missions are what turned me off on this game. I think they should have just made it like Star Fox 64 with updated graphics. Not exactly the same, I mean like new levels and stuff, just with the same gameplay formula as Starfox 64.

What's the percentage of the on-rail missions Arwing or Landmaster?

I was really hoping it'd be only one or two missions that were free roaming or boss battles/Star Wolf (?) encounters like SF64.

The Landmaster levels in SF64 were pretty good as were the few in the ocean. From the sounds of it, they should have just stuck with that instead of the free-roaming aspect.

My wqhole point was that it's not much of an improvement over SF 64. I don't understand why they took so long to release/develop this one. It should have been a release title. But at least the on-foot missions were 1000X better than in Rebel Strike. That game REALLY pissed me off.

[quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='David85'][quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='SteveMcQ'][quote name='bmulligan']I'll call it Mario-Fox as Fox is now getting the milking that Mario has enjoyed for the last 15 years. I'm sure they can remake it yet again before the death of the Cube to be a "cartoony" version. They can call it StarFauxkker, ocarina of time and space.[/quote]

Its really kind of funny Dave. MGS sucks because YOU say it sucks. (gamerankings.com thinks otherwise with it 93.4%) The core games of Halo, GTA, and MGS didn't change all that much and nothings wrong with that. Sequel are just that... they exist because the creator of the game wanted to EXPAND on the original ideas. Ass.[/quote]

You are truely one of the dumbest fucks on this board.

No wonder why Nintendo fans get picked on, it's because of people like you.

You start a topic about how the reviews are wrong for Star Fox, based on YOUR opinion, yet use a review to say another game is good to counter my opinion, which is based on the fact that MGS2 is a movie and not a game.

What a dumbass fucking hypocrite.

What is wrong with you? So does that mean no one else should either agree or disagree with game reviews? Just because a game is getting bad reviews, doesn't mean a person can't like a game. Same goes the other away around. At least he was able to form his own opinion about the game by trying it. So crap all you want, it isn't like you are going to change his mind about the game he is playing.

Plus, just because you don't like mgs2, doesn't mean others will too. Am I suppose to believe you when you say that mgs2 is only a movie? No. You act like you are constantly watching a cutscene at every second, which you don't. There is actual gameplay. So I don't see how you can call it a FACT that it is just a movie. :roll:

[quote name='David85']yet use a review to say another game is good to counter my opinion, which is based on the fact that MGS2 is a movie and not a game.[/quote]

You dislike MGS because of whatever, but certainly not because of facts. Xenosaga had a higher cutscene/gameplay ratio. Even with the large amount of cutscenes in all MGS games, the core gameplay was a lot of fun, and, although it took while to get to it (I "played" MGS3 for about the first 2 hours and only controlled Snake for about 10 minutes), gameplay wasn't interrupted often in the middle of the game. Yes, the beginning and end were largely dominated by cutscenes, but the game as a whole wasn't a movie.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']What's the percentage of the on-rail missions Arwing or Landmaster?

I was really hoping it'd be only one or two missions that were free roaming or boss battles/Star Wolf (?) encounters like SF64.

The Landmaster levels in SF64 were pretty good as were the few in the ocean. From the sounds of it, they should have just stuck with that instead of the free-roaming aspect.[/quote]

Truth be told, there aren't that many. Maybe about 33%. I thought the coolest parts were the parts where you were given the ability to chnage between on foot, landmaster, and arwing at any time. If you enjoyed Star Fox 64 (which I did immensely) you MIGHT NOT like this game. It is changed a bit, for better or for worse.

[quote name='David85'][quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='David85'][quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='SteveMcQ'][quote name='bmulligan']I'll call it Mario-Fox as Fox is now getting the milking that Mario has enjoyed for the last 15 years. I'm sure they can remake it yet again before the death of the Cube to be a "cartoony" version. They can call it StarFauxkker, ocarina of time and space.[/quote]

Its really kind of funny Dave. MGS sucks because YOU say it sucks. (gamerankings.com thinks otherwise with it 93.4%) The core games of Halo, GTA, and MGS didn't change all that much and nothings wrong with that. Sequel are just that... they exist because the creator of the game wanted to EXPAND on the original ideas. Ass.[/quote]

You are truely one of the dumbest shaq-fus on this board.

No wonder why Nintendo fans get picked on, it's because of people like you.

You start a topic about how the reviews are wrong for Star Fox, based on YOUR opinion, yet use a review to say another game is good to counter my opinion, which is based on the fact that MGS2 is a movie and not a game.

What a dumbass shaq-fuing hypocrite.[/quote]

In the end, reviews are opinions. I played Star Fox Assualt and disagreed with the professional opinions out there. Thats the great thing about the brain Dave, different people like different things. Thats why games on gamerankings aren't rated on 0% or 100%. there a whole wide variety of opinions about a variety of games. What a wonderful world we live in when we can use OUR MINDS to make up our own opinions about the experiences we have. That being said, I'm not argueing with you about a game that I've played and enjoyed... it just makes no sense because either A... you haven't played the said game or B... if you have we obviously experienced the said game in a different manner. Enjoy your games Dave, and enjoy the board.

[quote name='bmulligan']I'm getting really tired of the slightly improved franchise ports from N64 to Gamecube. I guess we can just add one more to the list. I really don't see much difference between generations here, especially in the graphics department. Multi-player? Sure, it's got multiplayer. It's got levels practically void of detail, depth, or textures. There's absolutely no way I would purchase this game until it becomes a PC title, there's just not much here. I'll call it Mario-Fox as Fox is now getting the milking that Mario has enjoyed for the last 15 years. I'm sure they can remake it yet again before the death of the Cube to be a "cartoony" version. They can call it StarFauxkker, ocarina of time and space. This is after Mario olympics and Mario synchronized swimming come out.[/quote]

Damn, looks like someone pissed in your cornflakes.

bread's done
Back