Star Ocean 4 (Updated 12/27/07; New Trailer)

Draekon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
12/27/07

New short CG trailer was released today.

Gamersyde (http://www.gamersyde.com/game_1362_en.html)
- Downloadable/Streamable in AVI/MP4/WMV format.

Youtube:
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=rwDoLUtM5ZU[/media]

--------

09/07/07

New Star Ocean Portal Site (Language: JP)

http://www.eternalsphere.com/index.html

--------

09/06/07

Ok, jacking neogaf posts for info since they have it compiled better and better links to scans. So all credit to them and who they credited themselves:

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187410
[quote name='soul']
Several new scans of Star Ocean I, Star Ocean II and Star Ocean IV from the latest issue of Famitsu have surfaced online. For those unaware, Square Enix has recently announced that Star Ocean I & II are to be remade for the Sony PSP.

New information regarding the new title of the franchise, Star Ocean IV, has also been revealed:

· There are two main characters called Edge Maverick and Reimi.
· Similar to Final Fantasy IX, you will now be able to fight with up to four characters.
· No platform has been announced for the game, but Famitsu says new information is to be revealed at Tokyo Game Show 2007.

» View Star Ocean I scans
» View Star Ocean II scans
» View Star Ocean IV scans

Creds to http://www.forever-fantasy.net for the story.
[/quote]

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187279&page=8
[quote name='Takuhi']
• The game "isn't that far off"
• Specific details on SO4's release will be available by the time people are done playing the SO1 and SO2 remakes
• In its current stage the battles are already playable, but full of placeholder elements
• The story is done, and while he can't talk about its setting yet, there might be some surprises related to that at the TGS. But it won't be so different that characters from other games in the series won't be able to return.
• He concedes that past Star Ocean games have not really felt like they were set in an ocean of stars. In this one you will be able to pilot a ship and travel to different worlds, and while it will retain fantasy elements, it will live up to the series' title more than the previous games in the series have.
• The man and woman in the screenshot are the hero and heroine of the game. As a teaser they placed figures of them in the display at the SE party and he was disappointed that almost no one noticed.
• The heroine's name is Reimi. The hero's name is... (cough) (sputter) EDGE MAVERICK! EDGE FRICKING MAVERICK! Bwahahaha! Seriously!
• There aren't just two or three planets in the galaxy this time. There are more. Sounds like a lot more.
• You can have four companions with you in battle this time. There are a lot of new elements and it doesn't really feel like the battle system of SO3.
• Private Actions will, of course, return.[/quote]

Are these joke screenshots? The games never actually take place in space, and seem to ignore as much science fiction as they can. That said I hope it's more like 2 and less like 3.

Well, even in Star Ocean 2 you had a CG or two of space and that's what that particular screen could be. Doesn't necessarily need to actually take place in space.

Anyways, yeah, I hope it's more like Star Ocean 2 than it is 3 as well. Though I hope we see some nice gameplay improvements over 3.

Hopefully itll be more streamlined than 3 and have a decent battle system this time... Oh, and 3 was in space for a little bit, though not long enough

big deal if it is in space the game is called " Star Ocean" and any change has got to redeem the steam pile the 3rd one was...

[quote name='Derrick1979']big deal if it is in space the game is called " Star Ocean" and any change has got to redeem the steam pile the 3rd one was...[/quote]

what he said.:applause:

I liked the third, the second was better, but I had a good time with the third. This is of course before PS2 started getting the abundance of excellent RPGs, so maybe if I went back now it may not seem as good.

I'd find it hard to believe that they would do this for 360 and not PS3. Presumably it will come out a bit after FFXIII when everyone has finally bought the PS3s and are dying for another big RPG.

[quote name='happy']
I'd find it hard to believe that they would do this for 360 and not PS3. Presumably it will come out a bit after FFXIII when everyone has finally bought the PS3s and are dying for another big RPG.[/quote]

Still, what point is there in hiding the fact that it's a PS3 exclusive? The series has been Sony exclusive ever since 2, so it would come as no surprise to anyone if it came out only on PS3. Now if it were 360 exclusive or multi-platform, that would be something actually worth waiting to announce.

I played the third one and I did enjoy it, but I just couldn't get into it for some reason, and stopped playing after several hours. I also own the second, but I haven't played it.

[quote name='pete5883']Are these joke screenshots? The games never actually take place in space, and seem to ignore as much science fiction as they can. That said I hope it's more like 2 and less like 3.[/quote]

I'm sorry but what the heck have you been smoking. They all involve space and science fiction ALOT. Hell 2 started off with you blasting off to investigate the planet.

3 had you being attacked in space several times, traveling between planets, etc. Sure the meat of the game doesn't take place in space but there is plenty of space based action. Also just because first 3 didnt have alot of emphasis on space doesnt mean 4th can't. I do agree and hope its more like 2 then 3, although i did like the inventing system in 3. Wouldnt mind seeing some sort of cross between 2 and 3 for crafting.

IGN mentioned in an the FF VII remake article that Square was going to announce a new game at TGS that was not FF XIII or Kingdom Hearts, is this it?

I'm too lazy to go find it again, but I read on neogaf last night that they acknowledged that the previous games didn't feel like you were in an "ocean of stars" so there was going to be more space. I believe you can fly a spaceship.

[quote name='pete5883']I'm too lazy to go find it again, but I read on neogaf last night that they acknowledged that the previous games didn't feel like you were in an "ocean of stars" so there was going to be more space. I believe you can fly a spaceship.[/quote]

Well the third game certainly gave more feeling towards the name with the amount of planet jumping compared to the previous two. Though actually flying a ship will seem a bit weird, especially if they plan to have real-time ship fighting like Rogue Squadron. I don't know though, just so long as it plays well and doesn't seem way out there in terms of the story.

Anyways, I updated the opening post with info from neogaf and accredited it to those who posted it there.

I love Star Ocean. I'll definitely be picking up the PSP remakes. I still have my SO2 save. I fucking love the campiness of the name Edge Maverick. The names are always entertaining ala Fayt Leingod :lol:

[quote name='Derrick1979']big deal if it is in space the game is called " Star Ocean" and any change has got to redeem the steam pile the 3rd one was...[/QUOTE]
Star Ocean 2 was the first RPG I ever beat, Star Ocean 3 was the first game to put me to sleep.

New Star Ocean Portal site up, but it's the japanese one of course:

http://www.eternalsphere.com/index.html

It shows that news of the game will be shown at TGS of this year, but I think that was pretty well known since the announcement of it. Hopefully we'll see some nice stuff come from TGS and I'll try and keep this post updated as info comes out.

[quote name='Gameboy415']Star Ocean 1 is the Super Famicom one, right?

I think I have a copy buried in my closet...[/quote]

Yeah it is.

Going through 2 copies of Star Ocean 2 it's safe to say that I name it one of my favorite games of all time. 3 was sort of disappointing to me but I did rough it out and finished all there was (except getting all thosed damned trophies).
But if this were to release on the PS3 I see my reasons for getting one are going to become greatly elevated...

I heard on neogaf that it is ps3 exclusive. Take it with a grain of salt as i havent heard anything yet.

Am I the only one that liked 3? I never played 1, 2 was ok, but 3 really hooked me. With that said unless SO4 is shorter than 2 & 3 (by 10 - 20 hrs.) I won't be playing it.

bread's done
Back