Star Ocean, discs help!

davelin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just bought two copies of star ocean: the second story (one from EB, one from GameStop). I noticed the discs look quite different. They both are black discs, but on one set, the art side feels smooth, with the colors somewhat darker. The other set, the art side of the discs has a more grainy texture to it (like many tiny bumps to the surface), and the colors are brighter. I am wondering if one set is actually a pirated copy. Anyone know how to tell the difference? And for people who have this game, can you check your discs and tell me what you have, especially if you have bought it brand new from a reputable store. Thanks in advance. :?

My copy is at my home, and I am away at college. I remember that one disc was a bluish-green, and one was purple. That's all I can remember, sorry.

Thanks for those who have responded.
I don't have the game with me right now, so I'll check it when I get home tonight.
When I said "black discs", I meant the side of the disc that does not have the arts is black. The color of the arts side of the two sets are the same, just one is brighter and the other is darker but sharper. The difference in texture is what makes me confused the most. The brighter set, if you run your finger through the surface of the arts side, it feels grainy and bumpy all over the disc. The darker set, when you do the same thing, the surface feels very smooth, with only some lettering (I think it's the sony or Square/Enix logo/copyright, but not 100% sure) on the right hand side protruding out of the surface.

The game was made by Enix so if it says Working Designs it's a pirated copy for sure :wink: . I have nothing to compare them to, but my discs are completely smooth to the touch on the art side and don't appear grainy at all. Of course I bought mine off Ebay awhile ago so I can't really confirm that my set aren't pirated discs, but i'm pretty sure they aren't.

[quote name='Levizk']The game was made by Enix so if it says Working Designs it's a pirated copy for sure :wink: . [/quote]

Thanks, changed my post.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']If they work on your non-modded playstation.. then they aren't pirated copies....[/quote]

Thats what I was thinking. I hadnt heard about anycompanies copying discs that were playable in normal psx's

I played the "smooth" set on my unmodded PS2 for about 5 minutes, and it played fine. I haven't try the other set, because I didn't want to open the EB sticker, in case I want to return it. (I noticed the grainy texture when I picked up the game, but I still bought it anyway, because the discs were in pretty good condition, almost scratch-free)
I was just curious, because the arts side of the discs do look and feel very differently. So I want to see if anyone has gotten these grainy discs set, also.

[quote name='davelin']I played the "smooth" set on my unmodded PS2 for about 5 minutes, and it played fine. I haven't try the other set, because I didn't want to open the EB sticker, in case I want to return it. (I noticed the grainy texture when I picked up the game, but I still bought it anyway, because the discs were in pretty good condition, almost scratch-free)
I was just curious, because the arts side of the discs do look and feel very differently. So I want to see if anyone has gotten these grainy discs set, also.[/quote]

I'm curious why you bought two copies of the game.. but thats beside the point. Take the game in question back to the EB you bought it from, tell them you got a second copy and you noticed the second set of discs you got had a different texture. Tell them you want them to break the seal there and try the games out. Then if there is a problem they know you aren't playing any games with them.

Only problem with this now that I thought about it.. I don't think Star Ocean 2 plays on a PS2, they may need to have a PSX or PSone in stock to be able to try it out.

edit - Hey, 2000 posts.. yay for me.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='davelin']I played the "smooth" set on my unmodded PS2 for about 5 minutes, and it played fine. I haven't try the other set, because I didn't want to open the EB sticker, in case I want to return it. (I noticed the grainy texture when I picked up the game, but I still bought it anyway, because the discs were in pretty good condition, almost scratch-free)
I was just curious, because the arts side of the discs do look and feel very differently. So I want to see if anyone has gotten these grainy discs set, also.[/quote]

I'm curious why you bought two copies of the game.. but thats beside the point. Take the game in question back to the EB you bought it from, tell them you got a second copy and you noticed the second set of discs you got had a different texture. Tell them you want them to break the seal there and try the games out. Then if there is a problem they know you aren't playing any games with them.

Only problem with this now that I thought about it.. I don't think Star Ocean 2 plays on a PS2, they may need to have a PSX or PSone in stock to be able to try it out.

edit - Hey, 2000 posts.. yay for me.[/quote]

Congrats on 2000 posts, I am working toward 1/40 of that. :)

I bought the "smooth set" first from GameStop, but it has more than a few scratches on both discs. When I found the EB set, the discs were in almost scratch-free condition, so I was going to keep that one and sell or return the other set. But after I got home, I thought about the grainy texture and it makes me feel a little hesitant about doing that before making sure it it a good set. (maybe just a different print?)
That's when I came to here to see if anyone has some information on this.

I would guess that the difference in texture is just due to how much paint was shooting out of the machine at the time your disc had its turn getting painted. The difference is probably within their quality standards. It's just paint on a label, not anything that they need to hold to a tight tolerance. I wouldn't worry about it.

[quote="Cornfedwb"
Only problem with this now that I thought about it.. I don't think Star Ocean 2 plays on a PS2.[/quote]

Just wondering, but why wouldn't it play on a PS2?

[quote name='jimbodan']
"Cornfedwb" Only problem with this now that I thought about it.. I don't think Star Ocean 2 plays on a PS2.[/quote] Just wondering said:
There are just some compatibility issues

[quote name='hutno'][quote name='jimbodan']
"Cornfedwb" Only problem with this now that I thought about it.. I don't think Star Ocean 2 plays on a PS2.[/quote] Just wondering said:

First time I've ever heard of this, is it confirmed anywhere?

[quote name='davelin'][quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='davelin']I played the "smooth" set on my unmodded PS2 for about 5 minutes, and it played fine. I haven't try the other set, because I didn't want to open the EB sticker, in case I want to return it. (I noticed the grainy texture when I picked up the game, but I still bought it anyway, because the discs were in pretty good condition, almost scratch-free)

I bought the "smooth set" first from GameStop, but it has more than a few scratches on both discs. When I found the EB set, the discs were in almost scratch-free condition, so I was going to keep that one and sell or return the other set. But after I got home, I thought about the grainy texture and it makes me feel a little hesitant about doing that before making sure it it a good set. (maybe just a different print?)
That's when I came to here to see if anyone has some information on this.[/quote]

I don't understand how you know that the disks on the EB set are scratch free. Didn't you say the reason you haven't tried those out are because you are afraid to break the EB seal just in case you want to return them? I might not understand this correctly, but I'm confused. :?:

[quote name='jimbodan'][quote name='hutno'][quote name='jimbodan']

First time I've ever heard of this, is it confirmed anywhere?[/quote]

no, im positive ive played my copies on PS2

[quote name='AlbinoNinja'][quote name='jimbodan'][quote name='hutno'][quote name='jimbodan']

First time I've ever heard of this, is it confirmed anywhere?[/quote]

no, im positive ive played my copies on PS2[/quote]

My buddy borrowed my copy and said it wouldn't even boot up.. haven't tried it myself. It could have just been a dirty disk.

edit - Sony's confirmed list of non compatible PS1 games are Arcade Party Pak, Atari Arcade Greatest Hits, Fighter Maker, Final Fantasy Anthology, International Track & Field, Judge Dredd, Monkey Hero, Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Tomba. So I suppose it should work, gonna have to check my discs out I guess.

[quote name='PapiChullo'][quote name='davelin'][quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='davelin']I played the "smooth" set on my unmodded PS2 for about 5 minutes, and it played fine. I haven't try the other set, because I didn't want to open the EB sticker, in case I want to return it. (I noticed the grainy texture when I picked up the game, but I still bought it anyway, because the discs were in pretty good condition, almost scratch-free)

That's when I came to here to see if anyone has some information on this.[/quote]

I don't understand how you know that the disks on the EB set are scratch free. Didn't you say the reason you haven't tried those out are because you are afraid to break the EB seal just in case you want to return them? I might not understand this correctly, but I'm confused. :?:[/quote]

Sorry about the confusion. When you buy stuff at EB or Gamestop used, you can always ask them that you want to see the disc conditions first. So that's what I did, the discs looked almost scratch-free while I was there at EB. But I couldn't try them out when I get home without breaking the seal sticker they put on. So that's why I came here to seek help.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']I believe the game was reprinted at some point in 2000 or 2001, so perhaps the smooth discs are the later version.[/quote]

That could be it, or something similar.
From people's responses, it seems that both kinds of discs have been found when purchased new.
Thanks for everyone who responded. I feel much better about both sets being good ones. I'll probably end up keeping both, since I got the Gamestop set for ~$13.5 and the EB set was ~ $17.5. I heard that this is a great game, so I wouldn't mind keeping two copies for now. :D

[quote name='davelin'][quote name='PapiChullo'][quote name='davelin'][quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='davelin']I played the "smooth" set on my unmodded PS2 for about 5 minutes, and it played fine. I haven't try the other set, because I didn't want to open the EB sticker, in case I want to return it. (I noticed the grainy texture when I picked up the game, but I still bought it anyway, because the discs were in pretty good condition, almost scratch-free)

I don't understand how you know that the disks on the EB set are scratch free. Didn't you say the reason you haven't tried those out are because you are afraid to break the EB seal just in case you want to return them? I might not understand this correctly, but I'm confused. :?:[/quote]

Sorry about the confusion. When you buy stuff at EB or Gamestop used, you can always ask them that you want to see the disc conditions first. So that's what I did, the discs looked almost scratch-free while I was there at EB. But I couldn't try them out when I get home without breaking the seal sticker they put on. So that's why I came here to seek help.[/quote]

Oh, I've never seen that. Then again, I don't really buy used games that often.

[quote name='davelin'][quote name='dental_regurgitation']I believe the game was reprinted at some point in 2000 or 2001, so perhaps the smooth discs are the later version.[/quote]

From people's responses, it seems that both kinds of discs have been found when purchased new.
Thanks for everyone who responded. I feel much better about both sets being good ones. I'll probably end up keeping both, since I got the Gamestop set for ~$13.5 and the EB set was ~ $17.5. I heard that this is a great game, so I wouldn't mind keeping two copies for now. :D[/quote]

How'd you get it for that cheap? :wink:

[quote name='Mishimaryu'][quote name='davelin'][quote name='dental_regurgitation']I believe the game was reprinted at some point in 2000 or 2001, so perhaps the smooth discs are the later version.[/quote]

Thanks for everyone who responded. I feel much better about both sets being good ones. I'll probably end up keeping both, since I got the Gamestop set for ~$13.5 and the EB set was ~ $17.5. I heard that this is a great game, so I wouldn't mind keeping two copies for now. :D[/quote]

How'd you get it for that cheap? :wink:[/quote]

Gamestop sells this game for $14.99, with the 10% off Gamestop card, it comes to $13.5. EB sells it for $24.99, with the 30% off coupon from playing that game on their web site, it comes to ~$17.5. 8)

I bought my copy brand new and sealed and I can verify that my copies have a "rough" texture to them. Barely rough, but definately not smooth.

bread's done
Back