Star Ocean: Last Hope International Playstation3 Game SQUARE ENIX 15.99 @ NEWEGG

[quote name='roymustang']they also have the 360 version for $14.99[/QUOTE]

I'd avoid that version, unless you don't have a PS3. It is seriously annoying with all the backtracking and disc swapping

i would be in for this myself. but i got me about 10 games this past weekend so got a heafty back log for my newly aquired ps3 and i got a email for it so figured i share but its tempting still but gamestop still is holding my money.

Kind of an underrated game. The voice acting is atrocious, but anyone that enjoyed the other Star Ocean games has no reason not to pick this one up.

It is a good deal. I was only looking at NewEgg's sale selection and saw this. Definitely a good recommendation. I have the Xbox 360 version but because of console issues (scary RRODs) I will play this on my PS3. Definltey good cost! Plus Free Shipping and no tax!

[quote name='TraBuch']Kind of an underrated game. The voice acting is atrocious, but anyone that enjoyed the other Star Ocean games has no reason not to pick this one up.[/QUOTE]

It is. I tried playing the game in English and then quickly changed it to Japanese. At least then I can't tell if the voice acting is good or not :p

The problem with this game isn't really on the gameplay. In fact, the gameplay is full of very addictive, face-paced action.
Japanese RPGs emphasize their existent on the storyline or the universe in which this game fails to do along with some linear characters without development.

I'm temped to get this, but I honestly would never get around to it. I still have a used copy of Star Ocean 3 chilling in my cabinet.

[quote name='sherisdoppel']The problem with this game isn't really on the gameplay. In fact, the gameplay is full of very addictive, face-paced action.
Japanese RPGs emphasize their existent on the storyline or the universe in which this game fails to do along with some linear characters without development.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you're trying to be helpful, but I have no clue what you're saying.

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']is anyone able to get the code NEWCUSTOMER10 to work?[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing you didn't have $50 worth of stuff in your cart.

[quote name='CKEStriker']Is it a open ended world? Like, it's not as linear as FFXIII?[/QUOTE]

Final fantasy XIII was no more linear than any other JRPG. The only difference is they removed the Illusion of choice. In other JRPGs you felt like you really had choices since you had towns to visit and a world map at times, but the bottom line was if you were not going were you were supposed to go, you really had nothing to do anyway. For the most part at least.

:::Edit::: Submitted to amazon, I got promo credit expiring soon and not sure what else to get anyway. This would be a nice purchase from there.

[quote name='Greatwhitecoley']Final fantasy XIII was no more linear than any other JRPG. The only difference is they removed the Illusion of choice. In other JRPGs you felt like you really had choices since you had towns to visit and a world map at times, but the bottom line was if you were not going were you were supposed to go, you really had nothing to do anyway. For the most part at least.
[/QUOTE]

But you could raise chocobos and grind until you break the game!!!1

Used my 40-for-20 Google offers Newegg credit and the 10.00 new customer code to get this and Child of Eden (ps3) for 22.99 shipped (including the 20 I spent on the offer). Sweet deal for those who lucked into the Google offers promo.

I've never played a Star Ocean game or a JRPG like Final Fantasy, but I have friends who love this game. It is a good place to start? Would I be lost not playing the first ones?

[quote name='evfan_77']I've never played a Star Ocean game or a JRPG like Final Fantasy, but I have friends who love this game. It is a good place to start? Would I be lost not playing the first ones?[/QUOTE]

I think most would say a game like this is a poor introductory to JRPGs. Try Tales of Vesperia or Final Fantasy XIII.

[quote name='simmias']I'm guessing you didn't have $50 worth of stuff in your cart.[/QUOTE]
It's weird, I made an account and have $110 worth of stuff and it still says "Coupon is for specific programs only". =/

[quote name='panzerfaust']I think most would say a game like this is a poor introductory to JRPGs. Try Tales of Vesperia or Final Fantasy XIII.[/QUOTE]

Okay. Thank you! I've been looking for a good introduction to the genre so I'll look into FF XIII.

[quote name='evfan_77']I've never played a Star Ocean game or a JRPG like Final Fantasy, but I have friends who love this game. It is a good place to start? Would I be lost not playing the first ones?[/QUOTE]

Just save Disgaea and Agarest for once you become more seasoned.
Other good jrpgs are Valkyria Chronicles (

[quote name='evfan_77']Okay. Thank you! I've been looking for a good introduction to the genre so I'll look into FF XIII.[/QUOTE]

I also second that recommendation for Tales of Vesperia. It was a really fun game and I thought the character development was a bit better than some JRPGs.

[quote name='evfan_77']Okay. Thank you! I've been looking for a good introduction to the genre so I'll look into FF XIII.[/QUOTE]

FFXIII is a poor introduction, IMO.

I suggest Tales of Vesperia also.

ordered MW 3 and this both PS3 from newegg.com

51.99 +15.99 - 40 promo(google) - 10 promo(new customer)

TOTAL 17.98 mean 37.98

Bad thing is im live in CA... I have to pay TAX!!

good thing is.. the pakage will be here tomorrow!!

Grab Tales of Vesperia if you want to see what the genre can offer. That is a fantastic game, and Tales games are known for their very strong emphasis on character development.

This game, however, was also very enjoyable (though light years [pun] behind Vesperia). You should stay the hell away from FFXIII though. That is extremely atypical for a JRPG, and not really something to start out with.

[quote name='Zaku77']That is extremely atypical for a JRPG, and not really something to start out with.[/QUOTE]

I only recommended it to him because he has no allegiance to previous entries in the franchise, and the game is indeed marketed towards gamers new to the genre. It's a very polished, contemporary RPG, and it's only $15-20 -- deserves a recommendation as much as anything else.

Bought this + $1 (After MIR) Samsung Bluetooth Headset Bundle + I had the Free after rebate Portable Speaker in my cart, the total was like $52, tried to use the NEWCUSTOMER10 Coupon code, didn't work so I contacted Live Support and they were going to credit me $10 after my order was placed. Anyways the Speaker went OOS while the CSR was looking up the information so the total came to like $37 and she said she would credit me $10 anyways. I told her I was losing an extra $3 on top of that because I used my $20 for $40 giftcard code and she said she would credit me $13 back onto the Giftcard. So lets take a look at my savings now:

Game: $16
Headset Bundle: $21
SubTotal: $37
-$13
Total: $24

-$20 Rebate
= $4

-$20 Free Giftcard Credit
= -$16

So overall I got the Game for free, the headset bundle for free, $16 for free. Good deal :)

I hate to be that guy - but is there a subs only audio option?

I hated the hell out of the story in part three but the gameplay was awesome. I also have fond memories of part two on my PS1. Played it for an entire summer back in college. Didn't 100% the game but I came pretty close.

Regardless, I've been waiting for this one for awhile, thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Created a new account and tried to use NEWCUSTOMER10. It goes through fine until the final checkout screen, and then it says it's only available for specific programs.

[quote name='sayu']Created a new account and tried to use NEWCUSTOMER10. It goes through fine until the final checkout screen, and then it says it's only available for specific programs.[/QUOTE]

I had this problem too when I typed the code in lower-case. Make sure it is CAPITALIZED. For some reason that worked for me.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']FFXIII is a poor introduction, IMO.

I suggest Tales of Vesperia also.[/QUOTE]

Lost Odyssey...best JRPG on current gen consoles imo.

[quote name='Broseph']I hate to be that guy - but is there a subs only audio option?

I hated the hell out of the story in part three but the gameplay was awesome. I also have fond memories of part two on my PS1. Played it for an entire summer back in college. Didn't 100% the game but I came pretty close.

Regardless, I've been waiting for this one for awhile, thanks for the heads up![/QUOTE]

there is a japanese audio option at least with the ps3 version. I rather enjoyed the game, sadly a few of the battle trophies are ridiculous may go back and play it some more at some point.

[quote name='lassiterb']I had this problem too when I typed the code in lower-case. Make sure it is CAPITALIZED. For some reason that worked for me.[/QUOTE]

Actually, my problem was because I trying to get the MGS HD Collection. It wouldn't allow me to use for that game; I don't know why.

I ended up getting The First Templar, Fragile, and Star Ocean International for 97 cents + the $20 from the google deal. I've had these games on my list for a while, so I'm pretty happy.

bread's done
Back