Star Trek (JJ Abrams) Out Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronodev

CAGiversary!
The new Star Trek Movie is coming out this friday.

I am seeing it tomorrow on Imax :)

I've seen many trailers and photos, looks like it will be a great movie.

It looks incredible from the trailers. Even if it didn't look so good, I'd be interested for three reasons- I was a huge fan of TNG, so I have some history of Trek fandom, it has Zachary Quinto in it, and Uhura is hot as fuck.

EDIT: 4. JJ Abrams is a god.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kind of surprised at all the ignorant news reports. They all make it sound like Star Trek was some show in the 60s that Hollywood decided to reinvent. IIRC ST:TNG was fairly popular and the movies were going strong until 5 or 7 years ago. Alot of the movies have action scenes, that with the Borg plays more like an action movie then your average sci-fi flick. What next, is LOTR going to be something only your grandpa knows about? When were you kids born - 2002? And get off my damn lawn!

PS Please don't respond with the Onion vid again - yes we've all seen it, yes it's hilarious, yes I know it's a parody.

I saw a press screening about a week and a half ago. I'm not a Trek fan but I really enjoyed it. Nice special effects, lots of action, decent story (despite the villian being basically a placeholder), some funny moments, good cast and the Trek fans will love all the fan service in the movie.....seeing all the old Star Trek cliches again.

I won't spoil any plot details but there are some story elements that the diehard Trekkies probably won't like but all in all it is a very sold summer action flick.

[quote name='BillyBob29']I saw a press screening about a week and a half ago. I'm not a Trek fan but I really enjoyed it. Nice special effects, lots of action, decent story (despite the villian being basically a placeholder), some funny moments, good cast and the Trek fans will love all the fan service in the movie.....seeing all the old Star Trek cliches again.

I won't spoil any plot details but there are some story elements that the diehard Trekkies probably won't like but all in all it is a very sold summer action flick.[/QUOTE]

Saw it for the second time last night and this pretty much sums it up for me. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to see where they go with the sequels.

Got tickets to the first showing at the Imax today. I'm not a big Trek fan (though when I was younger I was abit jealous of Welsely Crusher, I wanna stop time too!!)and my wife has never seen it. We're just hoping to see some people dressed up and enjoy the fun vibe I'm sure will be there. Its a sold out show so chances of seeing people dressed up seems high.

[quote name='JolietJake']So how much did they screw with the established history? I know they must have a little at least.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen it yet but from what I've read in spoilers:

it establishes 2 different alternate universes ala TNG's "Parallels"

I've got tickets to go on saturday night, can not wait.

And actually it doesn't open "in 2 days" it opens tonight at 7:00 PM.

I really want to see this movie, but I don't have anyone to go with. All my friends think Star Trek is too boring and refuse to watch the movie with me.

Taking my 3 boys tonight. 10:15 showing.
(One in college, other two in high school)

Wife said no way. Too nerdy for her.

They've never watched any Trek, but want to see it any way.
Just looks like a good scifi movie to them.

Ya I'm going saturday night, and then going again with my Dad and Brother probably in a week or two when it's not packed, my Dad is a huge Trek fan and can't wait, and my brother is not a Trek fan but thinks this movie looks awesome.

I seent tit on Tuesday.

I liked it, but my dad (the actual Star Trek fan) thought it was mediocre.

Spoilers:

The whole time travel plot was too much for him. He just wanted a badass reboot, not some convoluted tie-in with past and present.

About the only Star Trek thing I'm a fan of is the ytmnd of Captain Picard, so take my words with a grain of salt.

[quote name='ananag112']I really want to see this movie, but I don't have anyone to go with. All my friends think Star Trek is too boring and refuse to watch the movie with me.[/quote]

Get better friends :D

[quote name='Dead of Knight']My fiance loves Star Trek but really doesn't want to see this one. He thinks it looks like shit. That's why I love him.[/quote]

Um, ok.

I saw the IMAX screening last night. The movie is pretty much an action flick and goes pretty much non-stop.

I like the movie, but it feels a lack of epic-ness to it (like LotR or something). I don't think the film nerdy.

Meh, I'll see it, but probably not in theaters. I have the feeling it'll be a decent action movie set in the Star Trek universe, but not really a Star Trek movie. Which is probably exactly what they're going for.

wtf when was the release moved from the 8th to the 7th? I was going to go to a midnight show with friends tonight and then I find out it's been playing all day!?

So long as Simon Pegg doesn't screw up Scotty, it will be at least passable. His accent in the preview seems kinda cheesy.

[quote name='Scorch']wtf when was the release moved from the 8th to the 7th? I was going to go to a midnight show with friends tonight and then I find out it's been playing all day!?[/QUOTE]

They moved the opening to 7 PM about 2-3 weeks ago.

Just got back and was pretty damn good. Can't think of another series that needed and suceeded in pulling of a reboot like J.J just did. Even the wife loved it. The Imax though has made my head feel spinny.

going to see this tomorrow in imax....i can't say i seen a single star trek episode. im more of a star wars guy.
I didn't like cloverfield at all since JJ did such a poor job w/ the handycam(REC is far superior). Hopefully this is an enjoyable action movie for someone who isn't a hardcore fan of the IP.

Gonna go see it in the next week or two. I started on Star Trek with the Original Series and TNG. Loved it til Voyager got goofy but still enjoyed it more or less, but disappointed. Enterprise... UGH. Had some decent characters, NOT MANY, but that's it. Real damn shame of a show.

New movie looked bizarre at first... but hell, I'll go into it expecting nothing. Looks like a good popcorn movie if nothing else.

i am on the fence on seeing this in the theater. I may wait till BR or DVD to catch this flick. It looks like a fun movie to watch but since Jon Cho and Simon Peg are in the movie.....I almost want it to be funny and not serious.

Just got back from seeing the movie, and I have to say I was impressed. There are a couple nit pick issues, but overall they handled the reboot well. It was enjoyable watching it, with several references for trekkies and the non-trekkies I went with enjoyed it as well. It was an action movie, but not without thought and consideration for canon. The best I can relate it to is Batman Begins, it did a good reboot and I look forward to the sequel.

The few nitpicks
1) if you eject the cores, the ship is not longer at warp, causing it to fall into the event horizon
2) I am pretty sure it is against the rules to promote a cadet to first office of the flag ship
3) The Kelvin is a terrible design, no impulse engines except from the single nacelle.

Also, beware if you are wearing a red shirt. :)

I liked everything about this movie...except the story. Also, the projectionist screwed up with about 5 seconds left in the movie so the top fifth of the screen was now on the bottom. How do you screw it up with so little time left?

Also...(story stuff in this post)
this movie borrows quite a bit from the original Star Wars trilogy. You have the Death Star, the super laser, and the chase sequence on Hoth

[quote name='ananag112']I really want to see this movie, but I don't have anyone to go with. All my friends think Star Trek is too boring and refuse to watch the movie with me.[/QUOTE]

Go to a matinee alone. The first time I did this I thought I was a complete looser going to see a movie at an odd time that no one else wanted to see but me. I figured out after the second time I went solo to a matinee that it is very relaxing way to spend an afternoon.

I was going to take the wife to go see it tonight but we got into a little fight so we ended up not going. I'm going to make some time tomorrow afternoon and go see it solo.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']My fiance loves Star Trek but really doesn't want to see this one. He thinks it looks like shit. That's why I love him.[/quote]

Sucks for your fiance', this movie was fucking awesome.

My only nitpicks were three things that are meaningless. And they aren't spoilers but rather things I know from my Dad loving the show and movies and they altered.

The slug doesn't go in through that entrance.

The doors didn't make the old sound, kudos to having all the other old sounds though.

and don't change "No Man" to "No One" to be PC... corny.

[quote name='Over easy']I saw the IMAX screening last night. The movie is pretty much an action flick and goes pretty much non-stop.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my fiance will hate this. He said we'll probably redbox it.

[quote name='DestroVega']and don't change "No Man" to "No One" to be PC... corny.[/quote]

Been "No One" since TNG my friend. There's no reason to change it back. I swear to god, why everyone has to label everything as "PC" I'll never understand...

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yeah, my fiance will hate this. He said we'll probably redbox it.[/quote]

Ohh good, i was wondering what he thought?

I thought it was fun. I enjoyed it immensely and hope they make more.

I never watched Star Trek before, but it looks like nostalgia is preserving it rather than quality. It needed a reboot because the series was dead
(ratings and gross in theaters wise). Check it out.

[quote name='javeryh']I really want to see this and I can actually go tonight but my wife would kill me if I saw it without her.[/QUOTE]

Wow! I imagine it would be just the opposite for 99.9% of Americans.

[quote name='SpazX']Been "No One" since TNG my friend. There's no reason to change it back. I swear to god, why everyone has to label everything as "PC" I'll never understand...[/quote]

I'm not a huge fan... but I figured it was changed a while ago.

My dad is a huge fan, I grew up sorta watching the show, I love Wrath of Kahn and the third is ok too.

I loved the reboot, hope they make many more.

[quote name='javeryh']I really want to see this and I can actually go tonight but my wife would kill me if I saw it without her.[/quote]

yeah, my girlfriend LOVED it

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back