CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
pc.gif
Star Trek Online Collectors Edition $9.99

via the CAG Price Tracker

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']wow now thats a price drop, is the game that bad?[/QUOTE]

Whenever I see "Online" in the name, I assume it's a fee based MMO competing with WoW. I have no clue if this game really is an MMO but since I assume it is, I'm sure many others do as well. Given that all MMO's except for WoW fail, it's no wonder this one is failing.

[quote name='typical guy']Whenever I see "Online" in the name, I assume it's a fee based MMO competing with WoW. I have no clue if this game really is an MMO but since I assume it is, I'm sure many others do as well. Given that all MMO's except for WoW fail, it's no wonder this one is failing.[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of mmos that have and still succeed. Just because a mmo does not cater to 10 year olds pressing 1 to win doesn't make it a fail mmo ;)

Anyways, STO got off to a rough start and still working on gaining potential. I got back into it after gf basically forced me into it and it is a lot lot better than it was at launch. By no means anywhere near a great revolutionary mmo (and mmo is loosely said for this game), but its actually pretty enjoyable now with weekly episodic contents and regular content/bug fix updates.

Got this from amazon for the same price a month ago. Still hearing rumors that it will go free to play. Cryptic's other mmo, Champions Online, will be going free to play soon, so many assume star trek online will as well.

Also bought this from Amazon the last time it was on sale, I'm not a MMO person but I think this was totally worth it. Actually considering continuing my subscription just to play the weekly episodic content (currently featuring the Devidians and hopefully time travel back to the time of TOS.)

Just to note about these f2p models...they are actually a bit of a hybrid model to be realistic. A free membership will give you enough content for a little good while, but then again will have certain basic things locked out that requires a paid membership or one time paid unlocks. More or less they are extended free trials more than anything since you will end up paying big bucks for one time unlocks (they add up quickly) or eventually going to a monthly if you find that you like the game so much. This is how LOTRO is now set up, and judging from the membership matrix chart for champs online, they are following suit.

Still, its proven to be a successful business model so that can only mean good things for champs online since last time i checked it was on its death bed pretty much lol.

A couple of friends have it, and I wasn't overly impressed. Graphics were OK, but not amazing. Missions were pretty repetitive and honestly, I don't think they hold well with the Star Trek universe. Since when was ST about killing everything you came across? Kinda like they just slapped a Star Trek theme over a generic MMO set in space. For $10 it might be worth a check out if you're interested, but I wouldn't be interested unless it goes F2P - assuming it would be well designed model.

Edit: A note about the LotRO F2P model... It actually seems to be a pretty good deal unless you are hardcore about it and have several toons. Buying everything you need for a couple of toons is cheaper than a years membership cost was before the change. I was kinda nervous about the change, but overall I can't find very much to complain about. I play on Windfola.

this game isn't even worth a f2p model...they took a cheese grater to Anarchy Online and EVE Online and took those shavings and melted it into a crayon of suck, then drew the startrek logo with said crayon.

it makes me long for the days of Enterprise reruns...

[quote name='kosmos13x']Just to note about these f2p models...they are actually a bit of a hybrid model to be realistic. A free membership will give you enough content for a little good while, but then again will have certain basic things locked out that requires a paid membership or one time paid unlocks. More or less they are extended free trials more than anything since you will end up paying big bucks for one time unlocks (they add up quickly) or eventually going to a monthly if you find that you like the game so much. This is how LOTRO is now set up, and judging from the membership matrix chart for champs online, they are following suit.

Still, its proven to be a successful business model so that can only mean good things for champs online since last time i checked it was on its death bed pretty much lol.[/QUOTE]

I really disagree with this. It's a common criticism levelled against F2P MMOs and it may be true of some, but I really don't see it for LOTRO. In fairness, I am not "starting from zero" because I didn't start an account without having any paid content: I bought Shadows of Angmar and Mines of Moria long before the F2P announcement was made, although it was that development which prompted me to install SoA. However, what I've seen is that there are hundreds of hours of free content available. The epic storyline content does not require any payment, and I've been going through quests with a single character, an elven champion, and I'm still doing "prologue" quests after putting 50-odd hours into the game over the course of several months. Maybe I'm not as obsessive as the average MMO player, but I find that an excellent value and I wouldn't consider it to be an "extended trial".

(This is somewhat OT, but I expect that if STO ends up converting to F2P, it may be a similar model. I don't know much about it, but if there are really weekly updates right now, Cryptic will probably slow the rate of expansion content production and produce episode packs or something similar.)

I think there's a lot of value to be had from DDO as well, although I found I wasn't as interested in the fiction once I got out of the base area as I was in LOTRO. That may just be a personal preference.

How long did this CE stay at the $9.99 price a month ago before it went back up? I want to buy this but I don't get paid until tomorrow and I'm wondering if this sale will only last for today.

[quote name='warreni']I really disagree with this. It's a common criticism levelled against F2P MMOs and it may be true of some, but I really don't see it for LOTRO. In fairness, I am not "starting from zero" because I didn't start an account without having any paid content: I bought Shadows of Angmar and Mines of Moria long before the F2P announcement was made, although it was that development which prompted me to install SoA. However, what I've seen is that there are hundreds of hours of free content available. The epic storyline content does not require any payment, and I've been going through quests with a single character, an elven champion, and I'm still doing "prologue" quests after putting 50-odd hours into the game over the course of several months. Maybe I'm not as obsessive as the average MMO player, but I find that an excellent value and I wouldn't consider it to be an "extended trial".

(This is somewhat OT, but I expect that if STO ends up converting to F2P, it may be a similar model. I don't know much about it, but if there are really weekly updates right now, Cryptic will probably slow the rate of expansion content production and produce episode packs or something similar.)

I think there's a lot of value to be had from DDO as well, although I found I wasn't as interested in the fiction once I got out of the base area as I was in LOTRO. That may just be a personal preference.[/QUOTE]

Not sure why it took you 50 hours to do what takes a couple of days on average. The point is that stuff past lvl 20ish (aka lone lands which is the first none noobie zone) costs money to unlock the quest pack. Also someone did some studies and for all quests and unlocks for mines of moria itself, it costs about 150 dollars under a f2p sub.

I'm not saying or referencing what is right or wrong, there really no reason to say that lotro is free when it really isnt. For those who wonder what you get for a f2p sub please refer to this link: http://www.lotro.com/free.php?

[quote name='kosmos13x']Not sure why it took you 50 hours to do what takes a couple of days on average. The point is that stuff past lvl 20ish (aka lone lands which is the first none noobie zone) costs money to unlock the quest pack. Also someone did some studies and for all quests and unlocks for mines of moria itself, it costs about 150 dollars under a f2p sub.

I'm not saying or referencing what is right or wrong, there really no reason to say that lotro is free when it really isnt. For those who wonder what you get for a f2p sub please refer to this link: http://www.lotro.com/free.php?[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is under any illusion that F2P games are 100% free, the company has to make money somehow to support it. If you put the money that would normally be spend on monthly subscription costs toward contents, it works out well. If it costs $150 for all of the content in the game, than that's less than a years subscription - I have spent a fair amount more than that. Content carries over to every character on the account, so you buy it once and you're done. There's more reasons to go into the different starting areas and finish deeds and do tho content that would normally be skipped over because you earn Turbine points as you go. Turbine also seems to have a lot of sales on quest packs, a few days ago the Lone Lands was on sale for 50 points. F2P can be a good thing as long as it's done right, and I think Turbine has done it pretty well. If ST were to do something similar, I would probably buy the game.

[quote name='monoxide101']I don't think anyone is under any illusion that F2P games are 100% free, the company has to make money somehow to support it. If you put the money that would normally be spend on monthly subscription costs toward contents, it works out well. If it costs $150 for all of the content in the game, than that's less than a years subscription - I have spent a fair amount more than that. Content carries over to every character on the account, so you buy it once and you're done. There's more reasons to go into the different starting areas and finish deeds and do tho content that would normally be skipped over because you earn Turbine points as you go. Turbine also seems to have a lot of sales on quest packs, a few days ago the Lone Lands was on sale for 50 points. F2P can be a good thing as long as it's done right, and I think Turbine has done it pretty well. If ST were to do something similar, I would probably buy the game.[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly my point reworded. Ive seen a LOT of people (in the past on this board and on other boards) came into lotro thinking that its all free with just some cosmetic micro-transactions...thats not the case at all (and why most f2p mmos fail under this model). Again, lotro is set up to be an extended trial, opening up the game to a certain point for players, in which they can have several options on how to unlock content (via a vip sub or microtransactions one time unlocks...that add up). 150 dollar Moria reference is actually just a 1/3 part of the game so unlocking everything would be very expensive...but there are people who that and definitely isn't a bad idea either in the long run.

Point is, if and when sto goes f2p hybrid, and if it follows the model that champs and lotro is doing, expect basic features open, but you will have to still pay if you want to get far into the game. It is a successful model so I do think also that it will be a good idea for STO.

[quote name='kosmos13x']Not sure why it took you 50 hours to do what takes a couple of days on average. The point is that stuff past lvl 20ish (aka lone lands which is the first none noobie zone) costs money to unlock the quest pack. Also someone did some studies and for all quests and unlocks for mines of moria itself, it costs about 150 dollars under a f2p sub.

I'm not saying or referencing what is right or wrong, there really no reason to say that lotro is free when it really isnt. For those who wonder what you get for a f2p sub please refer to this link: http://www.lotro.com/free.php?[/QUOTE]

I don't have a good answer for that. Maybe 50 hours was somewhat of an exaggeration, maybe I'm just slow, maybe it's because I've bounced around doing starting quests in the elf areas, Thorin's Hall, and (this week) in Bree and the Shire for the festival.

However, I don't understand why you say that > 20 content is unavailable without buying quest packs. Maybe I'm missing something but the level cap for everyone is 50 and it was my understanding that the epic story takes you up to that. I know there are numerous areas with content designed for characters and fellowships well over 20.

It seems to me that it is free, based on the quantity of content that you don't have to pay for, which appears to be quite substantial, unless I'm missing something.

[quote name='warreni']I don't have a good answer for that. Maybe 50 hours was somewhat of an exaggeration, maybe I'm just slow, maybe it's because I've bounced around doing starting quests in the elf areas, Thorin's Hall, and (this week) in Bree and the Shire for the festival.

However, I don't understand why you say that > 20 content is unavailable without buying quest packs. Maybe I'm missing something but the level cap for everyone is 50 and it was my understanding that the epic story takes you up to that. I know there are numerous areas with content designed for characters and fellowships well over 20.

It seems to me that it is free, based on the quantity of content that you don't have to pay for, which appears to be quite substantial, unless I'm missing something.[/QUOTE]

To answer your question, the epic story line is actually just a single quest line through the game, and in reality only makes up about 5% of the content (if that) of the total game. The story quest line actually goes to lvl 65, but in reality is hard locked at around lvl 20 where you will run out of free regular quest content (aka a lvl 20 champ isnt gonna be able to do a lvl 25 storyline quest as he is gonna get wiped out easily). The only way to continue on the story epic arc is to either mindlessly grind for hours upon hours just to gain a couple of levels to reach the next storyline quest (which to me will get dry and boring quickly), or as turbine intends players to do is to buy quest packs which unlock the quests for zones past lvl 20 (aka out of newbie zones as people call them). You have an option to either do micro transaction unlocks or do their VIP program which is 15 a month.

Again http://www.lotro.com/free.php? is a good official chart of your options and how turbine has the game set up. They did not try to hide anything, but there is a money investment if you plan on playing into the game past 20ish.

[quote name='kosmos13x']To answer your question, the epic story line is actually just a single quest line through the game, and in reality only makes up about 5% of the content (if that) of the total game. The story quest line actually goes to lvl 65, but in reality is hard locked at around lvl 20 where you will run out of free regular quest content (aka a lvl 20 champ isnt gonna be able to do a lvl 25 storyline quest as he is gonna get wiped out easily). The only way to continue on the story epic arc is to either mindlessly grind for hours upon hours just to gain a couple of levels to reach the next storyline quest (which to me will get dry and boring quickly), or as turbine intends players to do is to buy quest packs which unlock the quests for zones past lvl 20 (aka out of newbie zones as people call them). You have an option to either do micro transaction unlocks or do their VIP program which is 15 a month.

Again http://www.lotro.com/free.php? is a good official chart of your options and how turbine has the game set up. They did not try to hide anything, but there is a money investment if you plan on playing into the game past 20ish.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it seems as though I'm being argumentative, but this still doesn't seem right to me. If the epic story does take one through level 50 (assuming that you don't own Mines of Moria or Siege of Mirkwood), but you're ostensibly blocked because the quests jump from level 20 to level 25, couldn't you just get a fellowship together to do one or two or the quests that are above your current level? Are the quests listed as "solo" locked in some way so that you can't complete them with a fellowship?

The table you link to doesn't really include much detail about quest content (I've seen it many times)--mostly it talks about some of the limitations of the premium and free accounts relative to VIP (subscriber) accounts. Just looking at it, without supplemental information, reading that Ered Luin, Bree, and the Shire are available as "quest packs" versus "Eriador" for the VIPs doesn't really provide that much information.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='warreni']Maybe it seems as though I'm being argumentative, but this still doesn't seem right to me. If the epic story does take one through level 50 (assuming that you don't own Mines of Moria or Siege of Mirkwood), but you're ostensibly blocked because the quests jump from level 20 to level 25, couldn't you just get a fellowship together to do one or two or the quests that are above your current level? Are the quests listed as "solo" locked in some way so that you can't complete them with a fellowship?

The table you link to doesn't really include much detail about quest content (I've seen it many times)--mostly it talks about some of the limitations of the premium and free accounts relative to VIP (subscriber) accounts. Just looking at it, without supplemental information, reading that Ered Luin, Bree, and the Shire are available as "quest packs" versus "Eriador" for the VIPs doesn't really provide that much information.[/QUOTE]

I guess if you get high levels such as a bunch of lvl 30-50s to powerlevel you through the main quest line, but again, most people dont really find that fun and rather experience and earn quest completion themselves as turbine intended. Also let me again stress that that the main quest line is really only 5% of the total game, so again if you actually want to access the meat of the game (actual zone quests, instances, skirms, expansion content, etc) you will have to pay for it one way or another.

Im really running out of ways to reword how this all works, no offense. Lotro forums is a great place for further information of how everything works. I'm just giving out the details (and nothing more) as a 3 year vet since beta and multiple longtime lotro friends giving me how the f2p hybrid model actually played out from actual experience.

Good luck!

Back on topic...

Just ordered the CE for myself (thanks TC) as I read that different versions of sto stack on both 30 days and promo items. So I actually saved myself 5 dollars on my next monthly sub and got a bunch of cool extras in the process! :D

Thanks again TC

Thanks for the head's up. I'm a lifetime subscriber to Star Trek Online (and don't regret it!) but getting the extras from the Collector's edition for $10 is nice!

Still wondering if anyone knows how long this sale will last, based on the last time it was at this price over a month ago. Hoping that it will still be $9.99 tomorrow when I get paid.

Could very easily be F2P-bound:

From Eurogamer:

"I'm sure people are wondering whether we'll do it with Star Trek and the question is really how well it does for Champions," explained Emmert. "Does it work or doesn't it?"

"We're not sold one way or the other with Star Trek yet. If people want Star Trek to go free-to-play then get in and play Champions and help make it a great success, because that would send a strong message."

STO calls its updates "Seasons" and season 3 will be out mid December. Its supposed to revamp a lot of the games to give it more "polish" and it will include the tools to let the community create their own missions.

And if you see how hard core some of the STO lifers are there sure is to steady stream of excellent user generated content to keep most folks busy.

I'd love it if STO went F2P. If it'd be anything like LotRO I'd give it a try.

By the way, totally with warreni regarding LotRO.

I'd not consider it an extended trial. You get all of the main (epic) quest line for free. You can go anywhere even if you haven't bought the packs. The NPCs outside of the starter areas that usually have quests just won't show as having quests unless you buy the quest packs. (Which you can buy with Turbine points earned while you play and pick up when they're on sale) You could always grind mobs to get xp instead of questing, not that I'd want to do that.

Technically the whole game will be opened up with the patch due out this month.

They're taking the level cap all the way to 65 and allowing F2P players to follow the Epic Storyline into Moria and Mirkwood with the patch.

Sure at some point you will probably end up spending some money, but you sure get a heck of a lot for free. Definitely not what I'd call just an extended trial.

bread's done
Back