Star Wars: Battlefront ($19.99) - GameFly - PS4/X1 - Used - FS

this game is gonna end up like evolve as far as sales and pricing goes imo
Nah. The license is strong. Evolve fell right through the floor. Battlefront's been holding pretty strong at $40 new when on sale and still hasn't had an MSRP drop.

It's EA so there'll be a premium edition or something with season pass bundled, but that's a few months down the line.

The game is MUCH better now than it was at launch. The guns are more balanced, star cards have been toned down quite a bit, and there are three new large maps and some extra small maps available to all players (not tied to Season Pass), so a lot of the criticisms you see in launch window reviews don't hold now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pffftt.  I'm on a $1 promotional Gamefly month right now, and even though I ran out of good games to add to my queue, I still didn't add this one as a filler.

It's a little tempting at this price, but I felt I had a chance to experience 90% of the game back when I rented it for a few days at release. I just read that the new DLC is available today for non-season pass owners, which struck me as odd - I can't imagine that withholding content drives up sales that much, but I'm not a marketing expert, either.

I also wonder how many players are left at this point. Seems that most console games die out fairly quickly.

For X1 owners, the base version will probably be on EA Access within the next 2-3 months, if history is any indication.

$20 is so tempting but I have this feeling its going to get a GOTY edition with all the DLC. I think I can wait for another drop by the end of the year. 

Also...

Pffftt. I'm on a $1 promotional Gamefly month right now, and even though I ran out of good games to add to my queue, I still didn't add this one as a filler.
I have a few games I wanted to try, but Gamefly is dropping the ball yet again with my membership. It's probably due to the fact that I'm using the $1 promo, too, but it's been six days since I dropped off my games at the post office and they only just shipped one out to me, meaning it likely won't be here for another three or four days - and it was one at the very bottom of my queue, as always (i.e. something I didn't really want). I've only been able to play two games at this point, neither of which were even in the top half of my queue, and my membership ends in nine days.

A turnaround of 8-10 days and a very low chance of getting anything that's not an "Available Now" is why I stopped using them years ago, and it's good to see nothing's really changed.

A turnaround of 8-10 days and a very low chance of getting anything that's not an "Available Now" is why I stopped using them years ago, and it's good to see nothing's really changed.
It probably has to do with where you live and where your distribution center is. I personally have had great service from Gamefly. For me, it is always a 3 day gap between the email that they shipped a game and me actually receiving it in the mail. Plus I drop off my returns at the post office where they do some sort of scanning so Gamefly sends me the next one right away, before they even physically receive my returned game. The only reason I've stopped using them (aside from these $1 promotions) is because of lack of games that I want to play. There isn't that much out there for this gen of consoles. Everyone keeps making lame digital titles that don't interest me at all. I want more high production value, AAA disc titles.

Seems like I've been fortunate with Gamefly, but if you're seeing huge delays, then that definitely justifies your not using them. I wouldn't either if I wasn't getting my money's worth.

It probably has to do with where you live and where your distribution center is. I personally have had great service from Gamefly. For me, it is always a 3 day gap between the email that they shipped a game and me actually receiving it in the mail. Plus I drop off my returns at the post office where they do some sort of scanning so Gamefly sends me the next one right away, before they even physically receive my returned game.
See, they actually used to do the scanning thing for me, but it doesn't seem like they ever do it that way any more. I used to see much faster turnarounds, but it's been consistently slow for the past three or four years. I don't know what changed.

I have to +1 the improvements to battlefront since launch. Dice is well known for fixing and supporting their titles. In this case the free DLC available currently is better than the paid stuff and it's a much better game than launch reviews suggest.

I bought a season pass with the Sony 20% off coupon for $40 and did all sorts of CAG shenanigans (pm, return/rebuy) to bring my day one purchase cost under $20 all told and I'm 100% committed now to PS4 digital for about $60... It's a star wars FPS, of that's what you're after, you'll certainly get $20 worth of play out of it.

Comparing the community to evolve is dumb, games are never hard to find, I'm sure EA sold 50x the number of copies of battlefront to evolve. I believe matchmaking has improved as well, waits seem shorter than before.

Point is, if you've been fence-sitting this one, $20 is a good deal.

Can you play this offline? Without having to download a patch/update like in Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2?
As much as like the multiplayer and the game as a whole, the single player offering is not worth $20. What you get are 5 training missions, a few Battle Missions versus AI opponents and and a few Survival Missions against AI. You can play split screen, which is nice, but not worth it on it's own. There's no campaign whatsoever.

Now if you're looking to play offline now, then someday in the future play online, then go for it. You can physically play the offline without an internet connection.

It's a decent super casual arcade shooter. I'd give it a 5/10.

If you're not playing it for the MP though, you're wasting your money and time. The single player modes are fucking trash.

As much as like the multiplayer and the game as a whole, the single player offering is not worth $20. What you get are 5 training missions, a few Battle Missions versus AI opponents and and a few Survival Missions against AI. You can play split screen, which is nice, but not worth it on it's own. There's no campaign whatsoever.

Now if you're looking to play offline now, then someday in the future play online, then go for it. You can physically play the offline without an internet connection.
The offline is really weak. Skip at any price if you won't be doing multiplayer. The MP isn't arcade casual, at least not when you're with competent people. Heroes vs Villains with a party is amaze-balls.

It's a little tempting at this price, but I felt I had a chance to experience 90% of the game back when I rented it for a few days at release. I just read that the new DLC is available today for non-season pass owners, which struck me as odd - I can't imagine that withholding content drives up sales that much, but I'm not a marketing expert, either.

I also wonder how many players are left at this point. Seems that most console games die out fairly quickly.
right now about 23,000 XB1 players, 30,000 PS4 players and 3,000 PC players according to the stats page. Looks to be about the same as BF4 on the consoles whereas BF4 has far more PC players at around 11,000.

Thanks for the information. I'll be playing online most of the time. I just wanted to make sure I could still play part of the game offline when my internet is down or really slow which has been happening a lot lately.

right now about 23,000 XB1 players, 30,000 PS4 players and 3,000 PC players according to the stats page. Looks to be about the same as BF4 on the consoles whereas BF4 has far more PC players at around 11,000.
DICE community manager has said that the public stats are wrong, but EA won't allow them to disclose actual numbers. Fair to assume more people online than showing there.

Doubt anyone has gotten their copy yet, but for anyone else that has Battlefront there's Double XP going on Friday and Saturday (ends Sunday 1am Pacific).

This is great for trophy and achievement hunters, and for those looking to get the Shadow Trooper (lv 50) and Weequay (lv 60) skins.

Looks like price is back at $49.99 for X1 at least. May have bit this morning otherwise

Actually looks like that's the new copy,and they are likely just out of used copies for now. Will keep my eyes on it for a restock

Looks like price is back at $49.99 for X1 at least. May have bit this morning otherwise

Actually looks like that's the new copy,and they are likely just out of used copies for now. Will keep my eyes on it for a restock
I'm able to add both to my cart with the links above. Gamefly usually doesn't let you add to cart if they are sold out if I recall.

As I posted in the other recent battlefront deal thread at $20 this is totally worth it. I absolutely love the game and I haven't yet picked up the expansion pass. The updates and free content dice has provided has been excellent and the game is wayyy better than it was at launch. They've improved the game in just about every way and added loads of new content for free. That said if you're not able to play online I'd say skip it. As others have said the sp is pathetic in this game. The mp is great though and if you're into star wars and somehow haven't picked this up yet you really should. The biggest reason I see people complaining about still is the lack of campaign, which is true, but it's also obvious they haven't tried or played the game. At this point it's a super solid mp game that is consistently fun and exciting to play

XB1 is back in stock at 19.99, so I ended up ordering one.  I know I'll get at least $20 of enjoyment out of it.

Any idea how long it should take for me to receive it? Game fly provided no info about shipping method or a tracking number.
They never provide me with tracking info when/if I buy games from them but it usually takes about a week.

Side note: I picked up the XB1 version. I figured i'll give this game another shot.

I read through this whole thread and there isn't one "It's a Trap" meme?! I am disappoint...

On topic, I enjoyed this game at launch and need to revisit it. That heroes vs villains mode is awesome.

bread's done
Back