Star Wars Prequel [I-III] or Original [IV-VI] Trilogy - $29.99 at TRU 9/11-9/17

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Update: It now appears that the Prequel trilogy will also be $29.99 starting on Friday:

http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/med...6327&camp=CME:20110915_Em_TRU_Roto%20Reminder

starwarsi.png

I saw this in the VG section and figured it was worth mentioning here. In next week's TRU ad (9/11-9/17) they will have Star Wars the Original trilogy (eps IV-VI) on Blu for $29.99. That's a $40 savings over the MSRP, and $10 cheaper than Amazon.

The set officially comes out on 9/16

You can now order it at TRU:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11904783

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's pretty bad :/

The main deal breaker for me are all the extras and documentaries this set won't have compared to the complete set. I just know I'd regret not owning those. It's too bad they don't have the complete set for $59.99

[quote name='ssjmichael']Yeah it's pretty bad :/

The main deal breaker for me are all the extras and documentaries this set won't have compared to the complete set. I just know I'd regret not owning those. It's too bad they don't have the complete set for $59.99[/QUOTE]

what do you think the price for the complete set will be?

I can't imagine amazon's $89.99 price holding, even since 1-3 and 4-6 are $40 each on amazon.

I guess we'll find out soon enough

On one hand it seems silly to me to deny myself three movies I love in hi-def just because of a small addition to the audio. On the other hand it just seems like Lucas is just making unnecessary changes to piss people off at this point and I hate the idea of buying it just to support that asshole.

At this point I guess I'm just curious to read reviews on the actual transfers themselves but I'll have a hard time not biting at this deal either way.

I am going to bite. I don't understand why they couldn't just throw the original release in the Bluray and satisfy some of us. It makes me even more mad since they are going to release them at some point and I am going to bite again... They should have just not released the first three episodes and spent that money on the transfers for the originals.

I'm one of those people who want the originals remastered and at this point I can wait until the version I want comes out. If I'm dying to see it in high def I'll just redbox them, and if the transfer is absolutely amazing and I need to buy them I'll still wait for them to drop even further in price or just request them as a gift.

I will say though this price is still tempting, but just not enough for me.

Unless there is something specific to the complete box set (like an extra disc/dvd copies), then this *might* actually be a better deal. To have them separated like that may make them easy to loan out, rather than have all movies go out. :(

[quote name='ITDEFX']Unless there is something specific to the complete box set (like an extra disc/dvd copies), then this *might* actually be a better deal. To have them separated like that may make them easy to loan out, rather than have all movies go out. :([/QUOTE]

there's 3 extra discs with the complete saga

[quote name='ITDEFX']Unless there is something specific to the complete box set (like an extra disc/dvd copies), then this *might* actually be a better deal. To have them separated like that may make them easy to loan out, rather than have all movies go out. :([/QUOTE]

There's 3 more discs of extras in the complete set.

EDIT: Beat by 4 minutes, damn.

It's not even tempting anymore. If you told me I could have to blu ray set for $10 I wouldn't take it. I'm not interested in those movies in their butchered condition.

When they release the second version of these in 9-12 months...and they will...I'll consider it.

I wonder why hasn't any of the BR review sites gotten their hands on this collection by now?? Is Lucasfilm doing a no review embargo on the set until the discs come out next week?

[quote name='ZForce915']When they release the second version of these in 9-12 months...and they will...I'll consider it.[/QUOTE]

Yep, they'll totally release the originals in full HD. They won't rehash the THX laserdiscs again at all!

[quote name='ZForce915']

When they release the second version of these in 9-12 months...and they will...I'll consider it.[/QUOTE]

I wish to God this was somehow true. I'd buy both versions and sell off the butchered ones.

They're not going to release the original theatrical films on blu ray for a long long long ass time.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']They're not going to release the original theatrical films on blu ray for a long long long ass time.[/QUOTE]

It is just never going to happen. I wish they would come out but I'm still going to buy this new set (all 6). The changes mostly suck but they aren't enough to completely ruin them for me. Plus, my kids are almost at the age where we can sit down and watch them together which is going to be awesome. It's funny to me that my kids know all of the characters and have the toys and video games and stuff but they have never seen the source material.

FXHD was showing them this weekend and they looked great.

I wonder how long until the 3D versions come out. I know they start showing in theaters next year. Perhaps not until 2013, or maybe later depending on how long it'll be till all six have had theater runs

[quote name='ssjmichael']I wonder how long until the 3D versions come out. I know they start showing in theaters next year. Perhaps not until 2013, or maybe later depending on how long it'll be till all six have had theater runs[/QUOTE]

I thought it was one per year....so, 6+ years?!

[quote name='doubledown']I thought it was one per year....so, 6+ years?![/QUOTE]

Wow really? That would be crazy if that's how they plan to release them. At the very least they should do 3 per year

[quote name='ssjmichael']Wow really? That would be crazy if that's how they plan to release them. At the very least they should do 3 per year[/QUOTE]

ummm converting a 2d movie to 3d is no easy task... with the entire movie not meant for 3d, a few select scenes like the space battles or the duel battle with Maul it will still take MONTHS....... and knowing Lucas he will go back and TWEAK the movie AGAIN!....*sigh*

The guy will keep on tweaking the movie on his death bed using a laptop connected to ILM.

By the time all 6 movies have been converted and shown in 3d, 7.1 audio will be the norm for home audio...which means he's going to tweet the audio AGAIN....geez.

With all the tweaks that Lucas has made, why hasn't he removed the (now) creepy kiss between brother and sister in "Empire"? I would be less creeped out if Leia kissed a Wookie (Han can arrange that - she could use a good kiss ;) )...

[quote name='crazedracerguy']With all the tweaks that Lucas has made, why hasn't he removed the (now) creepy kiss between brother and sister in "Empire"? I would be less creeped out if Leia kissed a Wookie (Han can arrange that - she could use a good kiss ;) )...[/QUOTE]

don't give him any new ideas..

[quote name='ITDEFX']ummm converting a 2d movie to 3d is no easy task....[/QUOTE]

For you or I, I would agree, but if this were really true, why is every single movie being released in 3D now, even though not a single one of them are being filmed in 3D, instead having it tacked on in post-production? I'm sure there's a "right" way to do it, and then a "cash-in" way to do it, but let's be real here, all this franchise has become is a giant cash-in. Hell, Lucas himself is making changes just DESPITE people at this point, just so he can say that no matter what he does, and no matter how much people complain about what he does, it will never ever stop everyone from buying it. I feel like this guy could literally take a shit right on the film print itself, and everyone would rush out to buy the new fesces edition. This from a guy who stood up in front of congress to object to Turners colorization of classics, because it was ruining art. I really think the only way we will ever see an HD 7.1 fully restored original version of these films will not come until the man dies and someone else takes over this legacy. Then again, I see him being buried with the original prints, so that way the only way they will be seen again is by taking them from his cold dead hands. End rant. :cry:

[quote name='mrosnwo']For you or I, I would agree, but if this were really true, why is every single movie being released in 3D now, even though not a single one of them are being filmed in 3D, instead having it tacked on in post-production? I'm sure there's a "right" way to do it, and then a "cash-in" way to do it, but let's be real here, all this franchise has become is a giant cash-in. Hell, Lucas himself is making changes just DESPITE people at this point, just so he can say that no matter what he does, and no matter how much people complain about what he does, it will never ever stop everyone from buying it. I feel like this guy could literally take a shit right on the film print itself, and everyone would rush out to buy the new fesces edition. This from a guy who stood up in front of congress to object to Turners colorization of classics, because it was ruining art. I really think the only way we will ever see an HD 7.1 fully restored original version of these films will not come until the man dies and someone else takes over this legacy. Then again, I see him being buried with the original prints, so that way the only way they will be seen again is by taking them from his cold dead hands. End rant. :cry:[/QUOTE]

lol Not every movie that's come out has been in 3-d...feels like it but it's mostly anything action related or CG... I agree with you..with the money he has and the support of the studio(s), he can do whatever the fuck he wants and get away with it. The OT has been restored and it's probably locked away on some mega servers below Mount Lucas where it can withstand the test of time, Nuclear Armageddon or the end of days. He probably has it in his will that the OT restored prints will be destroyed upon his death and that's how it is.

The Classic OT is gone...all we have left is the buchard versions. As long as people keep on buying lightsabers and toys for their kids, he will have a great source of income.... Spielberg should just come over and just shoot him in the head already.

I'll probably have to get this. I don't like Episodes 1&2, 3 was alright. Love the others, I know they're not the "original" ones I had on vhs that I loaned out to an ex of mine and never got back. And I don't have SW on any format.

So for only $30 I guess I'll join the dark side :/

[quote name='mrosnwo']I feel like this guy could literally take a shit right on the film print itself, and everyone would rush out to buy the new fesces edition. [/QUOTE]

OMG, I would totally buy the feces edition.

[quote name='Javery']OMG, I would totally buy the feces edition.[/QUOTE]

I would too, as long as it had a certificate of authenticity.

Made this past weekend hunt for 2 disc edition dvd star-wars weekend. That was even before I looked online at the amazon/cag reviews/feedback on the blu. Lucas has destroyed this franchise. FYI had buy two get 1 free(Snagged Return of Jedi & Empire Strikes Back) and picked up New Hope at Packards...all in all 30 bucks for all three. used but mint condition. Have you seen the oop prices at amazon? That is bad when people revert back to dvd's to avoid a crappy blu release. The only thing redeeming is the original trilogy boxart is kickass. Sorry for the off topic but I would buy the box, not the blus. Lucas, try again....you may get my money on release day one of these days.

[quote name='Yanksfan']The changes do not bother me at all. I will be picking the complete saga up for my son and myself on Day 1.[/QUOTE]
Your name is Yanksfan, you opinion does not matter. You are the Evil Empire. The SEs are blasphemy.

i know im in the minority here, but the reason i never liked these movies and think they are crapy is that you can make those changes like he does, and still the movie doesn't change. To me a good movie should be perfectly crafted, shot by shot. not many out there, but yeah...

Even though I'm not a fan of these movies, I think it's insane what he keeps doing to them.

I still have them all on DVD, I wanted the Blu, but maybe I will wait. I have the Silver Boxset with Darth's head on it and then the EpI-III by itself.

[quote name='doubledown']I still have them all on DVD, I wanted the Blu, but maybe I will wait. I have the Silver Boxset with Darth's head on it and then the EpI-III by itself.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure 90% of the people in this topic already have them on dvd. lol.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']I'm sure 90% of the people in this topic already have them on dvd. lol.[/QUOTE]

Yup. VHS too. *sigh*

[quote name='doubledown']I still have them all on DVD, I wanted the Blu, but maybe I will wait. I have the Silver Boxset with Darth's head on it and then the EpI-III by itself.[/QUOTE]

I sold that same set for like $20-something in anticipation of this but now I think I'm just going to wait till it gets to $50 or less.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']I'm sure 90% of the people in this topic already have them on dvd. lol.[/QUOTE]

I've got VHS, laserdisc, and two copies on DVD (The original box set, and the re-releases with the laserdisc rips.)

Star Wars fans aren't known for being sane, after all.

a steelbook collection exclusive to a store would have made this a sweet deal. :(

btw, what's going on with the BB ad? Also where are the reviews?!?!?!?

bread's done
Back