Star Wars The Best of PC (5 Games) - $30 YMMV

Shimrra

CAGiversary!
Feedback
55 (100%)
Just got back from my local Target and picked this up for $30. I normally see this at Best Buy for $40.

The 5 games that it comes with are:

SW Empire at War
SW Knights of the Old Republic
SW Battlefront
SW Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
SW Republic Commando

And a 14 day trial of SW Galaxies.

[quote name='SDC']How can a Star Wars "best of" not include X-Wing and Tie Fighter?[/quote]

THAT...is a very good point. I suppose maybe they are thinking "The Best PC Star Wars games that didn't need DOS to run."

Still, X-Wing and TIE fighter need to be included with those 5 games.

Republic Commando, KotoR, and SW:EAW are very good games. There is rumor going around that we might see a sequel to RC soon :)

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']THAT...is a very good point. I suppose maybe they are thinking "The Best PC Star Wars games that didn't need DOS to run."
[/quote]

In which case they should also have included Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, which is definitely near the top of my list of any PC games.

We are WAYYY over due for a Jedi Knight game since the last one was like 5 years ago? I know The Force Unleash is coming, but it won't be the same without Kyle Katarn :( Maybe they should call it
Jedi Knight 3: The Force Unleashed :)

This is a good deal, saw it at my Target in Chesapeake as well. I believe this is a universal temporary price cut.

[quote name='SDC']How can a Star Wars "best of" not include X-Wing and Tie Fighter?[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was thinking.

Sith Lords was not panned and still holds it ground, despite its VAST flaws, mainly due to it being rushed out the door. That being said, if you're going to have one of them on a "best of" set, KotOR is the clear, clear choice.

[quote name='ITDEFX']We are WAYYY over due for a Jedi Knight game since the last one was like 5 years ago? I know The Force Unleash is coming, but it won't be the same without Kyle Katarn :( Maybe they should call it
Jedi Knight 3: The Force Unleashed :)[/QUOTE]

Jedi Academy was Jedi Knight 3. The videos I've watched of The Force Unleashed definitely look very similar to a Jedi Knight game though, I consider it the 4th Jedi Knight.

[quote name='AwRy108']...odd that it doesn't include KotOR II.[/QUOTE]

Most of the games in the collection have sequels; they hope you'll go out and buy KotOR II, Jedi Academy, and Battlefront 2 after you buy this collection.

That's a little unfair. Half-finished? Let's not exaggerate. Want to see a half-finished game? Go play Big Rigs. Sith Lords was rushed. We all know this. It was still a good game.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']That's a little unfair. Half-finished? Let's not exaggerate. Want to see a half-finished game? Go play Big Rigs. Sith Lords was rushed. We all know this. It was still a good game.[/quote]
Very true. They had little more then a year and were able to deliver a high quality game with what little time they had.

it's 35 at amazon which is pretty good... can anyone confirm that it is actually cheaper at target?
And how did i not know about this bundle, i have been wanting to get kotor (for the PC) and empire at war for a while now. the other games are just a bonus i guess.

[quote name='Omniscia']In which case they should also have included Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, which is definitely near the top of my list of any PC games.[/quote]

I concur.

Anyone know how the games are organized? Is it a couple of DVDs for everything, or did they just repack a shitload of CDs?

[quote name='Skexis']Anyone know how the games are organized? Is it a couple of DVDs for everything, or did they just repack a shitload of CDs?[/quote]

DVD

I got work tomorrow(Tuesday) at....you guessed it Target. So I'll check the price on break to see if it's $30 at my store (Newbury Park, CA)

EDIT: even if it is $35 if you get a nice cashier, you could use the $5 off $25 coupon to make it $30....and if it is $30 now its $25, pretty good deal if ya ask me.

I've VERY skeptical of Force Unleashed, as IMO most Star Wars games are atrocious. I don't see how it has anything to do with the Jedi Knight series.

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']all good games. too bad I am on an evil mac nowadays. I loved those when they originally came out...[/QUOTE]

If it's an Intel Mac you can dual boot to Windows.

[quote name='Burchamj']too bad i only need empire at war..[/quote]

I think you can find Empire and the expansion pack at best buy for $30.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I've VERY skeptical of Force Unleashed, as IMO most Star Wars games are atrocious. I don't see how it has anything to do with the Jedi Knight series.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't, other than the fact that the player character's a Jedi. They're set in completely different timeframes (post-original trilogy for JK, and between movies three and four for FU) and you're a dark Jedi in FU, so I'm not sure where the comparisons are coming from. :whistle2:s

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'll probably be flamed for this but isn't he a Sith?[/quote]

If you mean the main character in Force Unleashed then I believe you are right. You play the apprentice to Darth Vader I believe. I am a little skeptical of Star Wars games as well but I believe the draw to this game for me will be too great...

Too bad both KOTOR games for PC had a ton of bugs. I can't even tell you how many times I set commands for my teammates and when I unpaused they stood there with their thumbs in each other's asses.

For those that are saying that XWing,Tie Fighter, and Dark Forces ought to be in there should realize that this is the SECOND Star Wars PC compilation put out by Lucas Arts. I distinctly remember there being a compilation a few years ago that included the aforementioned titles. I'll see if I can hunt something up on it.

Regardless, this is a good compilation for only $30.

Edit: This must be what I saw, I was mistaken about Dark Forces:XWing Space Combat Compilation

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']For those that are saying that XWing,Tie Fighter, and Dark Forces ought to be in there should realize that this is the SECOND Star Wars PC compilation put out by Lucas Arts. I distinctly remember there being a compilation a few years ago that included the aforementioned titles. I'll see if I can hunt something up on it.

Regardless, this is a good compilation for only $30.

Edit: This must be what I saw, I was mistaken about Dark Forces:XWing Space Combat Compilation[/quote]

This is the one you were thinking of, I believe:
[quote name='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LucasArts_Archives'][/quote]

[quote name='Omniscia']In which case they should also have included Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, which is definitely near the top of my list of any PC games.[/QUOTE]

this is completely true.. near perfect game IMO even today

Personally I ultimately didn't like Jedi Knight 1 (Dark Forces 2!) I loved it at first, but got frustrated later on, and disliked the way you had to find hidden areas to get Jedi powers. That made no sense to me, and made me have to resort to using a walk through.

[quote name='sp00ge']This is the one you were thinking of, I believe:[/QUOTE]

I have that one. This thread makes me want to go back and play them. I wonder if it will run on xp...

edit: actually, I don't think I have that one. I think mine was the first collection, with tie fighter, rebel strike, and some other versions. So there were at least 3 star wars collections.

Target has KTOR II The Sith Lords on sale for $17.99 as well for those of you wishing it was in the best of set.

bread's done
Back