Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

So this is interesting....

PATCH 16!!! I guess this means beta is coming back soon?

Details:

StarCraft II Beta – Patch 16 (version 0.19.0.15976)

• General
    • Rally points now behave as a move command, instead of an attack move command.
    • Enabled the ability to manually add a StarCraft II character friend using the player's character code. Character code is a server-assigned numerical code that is displayed within the Add Friend panel.
    • Battle.net Achievements & Rewards have been updated.
    • All Quick Match modes are now available: 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, and Free For All.
    • All A.I. difficulties are now available for play.
    • Cooperative matchmaking versus A.I. players is now available as a play mode.
    • Enabled cross-game social features between World of Warcraft and StarCraft II.
  • Balance Changes
    • ZERG
      • Infestor
        • Frenzy spell removed.
        • Infested Terran spell added.
      • Overseer
        • Infested Terran spell removed.
      • Ultralisk
        • Now immune to stuns and mind control.

[quote name='Strell']wat (as in, why, not as in "what does this mean")[/QUOTE]
I was wondering the same thing. I think I like it the other way better. Is there a way to choose what the default is? That would be ideal.

I don't see why most people here are cool with this forum thing, ActiBliz is clearly killing all community aspects of SC2

Discouraging forum use
Region locking
No chat channels
Map ranking system instead of old custom game system

I definitely won't be buying at release.

Just use a different forum. A billion exist that will allow you to be anon. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just not gunna use the forum. I can't see why you are letting it upset you so much.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Just use a different forum. A billion exist that will allow you to be anon. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just not gunna use the forum. I can't see why you are letting it upset you so much.[/QUOTE]

It's the slippery slope. Activision seems to have a hard on for breaking game communities, look at Modern Warfare 2.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun had a really good editorial about the whole thing: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/07/07/broken-armour-blizzards-forum-folly/

While privacy online is to a very large degree a complete illusion, forcing one to use their real identity to participate in forums means that that person's hobbies are a Google search away.

I imagine someone being unemployed, and spending a lot of time playing WoW - if you're unemployed, you have a LOT of time. Lets say they get really passionate about rogue DPS changes after a patch and they post a topic about it on the forum. Lets then say a HR rep with a company Bob applied to uses the Google to do research on their candidates, and that forum post comes up in the search, and they decide that Bob's addiction (whether he has one or not) to WoW makes him a bad candidate for the job.

Companies are more and more using the internet to investigate candidates. People are fired for things they post on Facebook.. why? Because their data is right out in the open for anyone to see* and all it takes is a browser and curiosity to see everything that person has ever put out there.

Facebook is a different animal than a game forum, absolutely.. but the principal seems the same to me - you put things you have to say out there for anyone anywhere to read, and there can be repercussions for having a passion for a thing. I don't think a game forum is serious-business enough to warrant tying your name to it.

They obviously didn't think this through. I'm hoping they reconsider this whole realID thing, otherwise I don't think I'll be giving ActiBlizz any of my money.

Shame, I was looking forward to SC2, Diablo 3 and Cataclysm...

It's not going to stop me from buying the game, but for fuck sake why would they make a feature like that? It's so unbelievably fucking stupid. Don't care if petitions don't work, I would participate in a phone bitching sit in just to make at least someone in their customer service center to come to the realization that someone in Blizzard is fucking stupid.

It wouldn't surprise me if the guy who thought up this idea was a steve jobs and facebook/twitter whore. When you put those things together, they're usually fucking oblivious to anything not stupid.

Ok, yeah, short rant.

EDIT: Heh, my real name isn't even in my currently Battle.net account details that would end up being used in Starcraft 2. Apparently I used my normal online alias, so I guess there's little ability to stop people from changing their names at will? Either that or it's permanently engraved, not that I mind having my online alias stuck as my "Real Name" in this Blizzard fuck up.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Well if this does actually come out, I'll be calling bliz up and changing my name.

From here on out, I'm Turd Ferguson.[/QUOTE]

The impression has arisen that changing your registered name is not currently possible.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']The impression has arisen that changing your registered name is not currently possible.[/QUOTE]

Then my real name is never going to be shown, nice. Can't wait to see these new forums with names that are clearly not real like mine on their battle.net accounts. Wonder how many people will whine saying it's not fair that their name is displayed but not people using faux names. It's not like Blizzard is going to confirm the identity of everybody.

Man patch 16 is depressing. Rally point movements set to move instead of move-attack? Nooooooo!! :cry:
And it looks like they're flip-flopping with the Infested terran skill.

GG Real ID.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I cancelled my queue and now the game won't let me requeue because it thinks I'm still queued. Restarting the game hasn't helped, others are having the same problem. I just thought I'd let everyone know.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25626581025&sid=3000[/QUOTE]

I couldn't join any games either until probably an hour ago. Should be more or less fixed now.

[quote name='Strell']Even The Flash can't defeat that.[/QUOTE]

That is disturbing and yet mind numbingly awesome at the same time.

[quote name='Clak']What is the point of this? Years of warnings about using names online and they act like it's fine.[/QUOTE]

All it is is your name. They even said you dont have to use your real one and no one is forcing anyone to post on the forums. Its the players choice. They can use a fake name or not post. I dont see the problem.

Besides it all comes down to the fact no one cares what your name is. Just like no one cares whats in your sig, what your avatar is, what your trophy list is. Our of millions on a forum I dont think anyone is going to see a name on there that doesnt already know you and make a big deal out of it. Besides its like they are asking you to put your name, social security number, address, blood type, phone number, favorite color and such on there also. hell I looked and there are 5 people in my city which isnt very big with the same name as me and I didnt know till now.

As much as the Real ID stuff and so forth doesn't really bother me, I must admit that this article is a fairly even headed argument against it.

In short: We're just going to encourage trolls/idiots/griefers to continue on with their shenanigans, and are only giving them more ammo to work with to penalize the people who were playing by the rules.

Hmm, where have I heard this exact same argument before?

I just foresee it causing more problems than positing with an alias. There are too many assholes out there who can't control themselves and the internet just makes it too easy for them to be dicks. There's more to it than just that, but I just don't think people realize the full extent of what this does (and believe me there are absolutely no positives to it).

Personally I can't wait to see the outcry of people who use their real name when people, like myself, show up on the forums with fake names. It wouldn't surprise me if Blizzard banned me from the forums because of it.

[quote name='Strell']Hmm, where have I heard this exact same argument before?[/QUOTE]

Nintendo's explanation for the reason they use friend codes? :p

[quote name='Draekon']
Nintendo's explanation for the reason they use friend codes? :p[/QUOTE]

I wasn't thinking of this, but yeah, you could apply it there too.

Meh.. I played three games last night while BattleChicken Jr. was sleeping. I thought my placement matches would have ended a lot different. Of 3 games, I only won one of them. Irritating..

I drew the short straw for a partner in game 1, while I could have played better, both of the enemies were decent and circumvented my defense at two separate points, splitting my forces, after the other guy was done. Game two, I played much, much better. I went for tanks, but the enemy seemed to have unnatural clairvoyance and hit me at the worst time possible with the best possible units; The enemy hit the second my first tank came into view with banelings and zealots. I didn't have time to seige it before they broke through my walls so I lost that one. I only had one hellion and they blew it when they took out the depot.

Massive bitching wins again: http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25968837163&sid=3000

Hello everyone,

I'd like to take some time to speak with all of you regarding our desire to make the Blizzard forums a better place for players to discuss our games. We've been constantly monitoring the feedback you've given us, as well as internally discussing your concerns about the use of real names on our forums. As a result of those discussions, we've decided at this time that real names will not be required for posting on official Blizzard forums.

It's important to note that we still remain committed to improving our forums. Our efforts are driven 100% by the desire to find ways to make our community areas more welcoming for players and encourage more constructive conversations about our games. We will still move forward with new forum features such as the ability to rate posts up or down, post highlighting based on rating, improved search functionality, and more. However, when we launch the new StarCraft II forums that include these new features, you will be posting by your StarCraft II Battle.net character name + character code, not your real name. The upgraded World of Warcraft forums with these new features will launch close to the release of Cataclysm, and also will not require your real name.

I want to make sure it's clear that our plans for the forums are completely separate from our plans for the optional in-game Real ID system now live with World of Warcraft and launching soon with StarCraft II. We believe that the powerful communications functionality enabled by Real ID, such as cross-game and cross-realm chat, make Battle.net a great place for players to stay connected to real-life friends and family while playing Blizzard games. And of course, you'll still be able to keep your relationships at the anonymous, character level if you so choose when you communicate with other players in game. Over time, we will continue to evolve Real ID on Battle.net to add new and exciting functionality within our games for players who decide to use the feature.

In closing, I want to point out that our connection with our community has always been and will always be extremely important to us. We strongly believe that Every Voice Matters, ( http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/mission.html ) and we feel fortunate to have a community that cares so passionately about our games. We will always appreciate the feedback and support of our players, which has been a key to Blizzard's success from the beginning.

Mike Morhaime
CEO & Cofounder
Blizzard Entertainment

EDIT: They edited their post, so I edited mine to reflect any changes.

Glad they finally saw the light. With all the security issues they deal with accounts being stolen/hacked/whatnot, it surprises me that the real name thing got this far.

Back to buying Blizz games, I guess. :)

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Key words: "at this time."

Sooner or later, they're going to go through with this.[/QUOTE]
And if and when they do, I'll stop giving them my money. I have to think they have more sense than to ever implement it though. Unless their goal is to basically make their forums a ghost town.

Blizz usually has the pulse of their customers, they were way off the mark here.

If anyone wants to play some 1v1s later tonight I'll be on -- holdthephone is my handle. I just kind of wing strategies as I haven't been studying the game all that much, just trying to find some enjoyment in it, but I think might just hold out until the trilogy is fully released.

So... if anyone is buying the collectors edition and doesn't play WoW... I'm trying to get my hands on two of the pet codes for a family member and myself. Figured I'd poke my head in here... and I know The Crotch is probably lurking here.. I should wave at him... (btw crotch, if you want a better signature let me know.)

[quote name='georox']So... if anyone is buying the collectors edition and doesn't play WoW... I'm trying to get my hands on two of the pet codes for a family member and myself. Figured I'd poke my head in here... and I know The Crotch is probably lurking here.. I should wave at him... (btw crotch, if you want a better signature let me know.)[/QUOTE]

Except a while back he said that he'd be gone from the forums a few months if I remember right, along with changing his user title to "I'm gone". Plus:

Last Activity: 05-27-2010 03:53 PM

So the whole argument against Real ID is that it's not fair we can't be obnoxious dbags on the internet? It's just the Blizzard forums, not like it is on CAG or anything. On the battlenet forums you shouldn't be trolling anyways, you should be there asking technical questions or discussing certain game aspects. Save your racist rants for other outlets...

And it's not like it is so dangerous to have your real name on ONE forum when everybody is also doing it. And if someone really wanted to spy/steal/stalk Facebook is better than a game forum.

But I'm not really sure what they were trying to do, if they link your WoW character names to your RL name than I can see THAT being a problem.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']So the whole argument against Real ID is that it's not fair we can't be obnoxious dbags on the internet?[/quote]

No, there's plenty of other issues that arise. And really, it only helps people be obnoxious douchebags even more. Read the article I posted, or the one linked on Penny Arcade today.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Blizz usually has the pulse of their customers, they were way off the mark here.[/QUOTE]

What you have to understand is that despite the claims about them remaining largely independent and in control of themselves, Blizzard is run by Activision, now. Do I need to say anything more?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']So the whole argument against Real ID is that it's not fair we can't be obnoxious dbags on the internet?[/QUOTE]
Do you really not get it?

Rather than linking you to some article, let me put this real short, real quick for you. RealID would have displayed everyone's names: potential troublemakers, AND their potential victims. If you aren't putting two and two together, giving trolls access to people's real names is a bad idea. That's a sure-fire way to move trolling and abuse of victims to a whole other level, beyond just a single forum, really really fast.

Are you getting this, now?

Hey guys, let's play some StarCraft sometime, I feel like I've come a long way from having no idea what the fuck do do, lol. :D

My SCII username is Zaskull and I (believe) my character code is 363.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
Do you really not get it?

Rather than linking you to some article, let me put this real short, real quick for you. RealID would have displayed everyone's names: potential troublemakers, AND their potential victims. If you aren't putting two and two together, giving trolls access to people's real names is a bad idea. That's a sure-fire way to move trolling and abuse of victims to a whole other level, beyond just a single forum, really really fast.

Are you getting this, now?[/QUOTE]

I understand, I know your shtick is that you're a dbag but don't worry I understand. BUT it's the BATTLENET forums, if you really want to post as an anon join something else to talk about whatever you like. There is no reason to have that many problems on an official game forum. I think it's a dumb idea to implement that feature, but it's not THAT big of a deal on the place they were implementing it.

I understand the value of anonymity, I would never want trolls like you to get a hold of peoples real information.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']BUT it's the BATTLENET forums, if you really want to post as an anon join something else to talk about whatever you like.[/quote]
God, it just sailed right over your head...

I understand the value of anonymity, I would never want trolls like you to get a hold of peoples real information.
Then why don't you seem to understand that the uproar isn't about people not being able to be trolls, but about how this would be giving trolls the exact sort of info they want about their potential victims, who would have no way of keeping their info private (aside from not using the forums, which they shouldn't have to choose not to do)?

The anger is about how vulnerable this makes people to trolls, not about trolls being oppressed or whatever.

I agree, I don't want trolls getting ahold of people's info, either, and people are already dumb enough giving it out all over the internet on their own (hell, I found your name, phone number, and parents' names within 3 minutes using Google; and NO, this isn't a threat or anything, I'm just demonstrating how easy this stuff is), without being forced to give it out by companies like Blizzard.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']. There is no reason to have that many problems on an official game forum.
[/QUOTE]

There shouldn't be, and Blizzard really dropped the ball on letting it become such a cesspool... those forums should have been dealt with years ago. It's a good lesson on what happens when you have a lazy and non-existent moderation team.

Unfortunately, those forums are also the official tech support forums, and it's much quicker to get a reply to problems there then it is through e-mail, which is the only reason I ever had to use them.

[quote name='animalspinners']There shouldn't be, and Blizzard really dropped the ball on letting it become such a cesspool... those forums should have been dealt with years ago. It's a good lesson on what happens when you have a lazy and non-existent moderation team.

Unfortunately, those forums are also the official tech support forums, and it's much quicker to get a reply to problems there then it is through e-mail, which is the only reason I ever had to use them.[/QUOTE]
Yea pretty much, thus why drastic measures are worth a try for that forum in particular. And now I get CoffeeEdge coming to my house with his love knife... fuck!

Anyways, enough of taking up this thread with that talk.

Beta is back! I don't know what name I give now but: Darknessbear is my id. Who's up for some nexus wars or some other map setting games? It's been too long now and I think if I play the regular way I'll get murdered.

Why are you treating me like I'm trolling? All I'm doing is saying that believing that the threat of having their real name displayed isn't going to stop trolls, whereas it gives them a massive weapon against their victims. That's all.

Blizzard: "I KNOW HOW WE'LL STOP THE TROLLS: WE'LL GIVE THEM EVERYONE'S REAL NAME HURRR DURRR."

Just because someone is an idiot and posts it on youtube, doesn't make it true. Here's plain and simple why Real ID failed for anything relating to trolls:

http://images.draekon.com/realid.jpg

That image there displays my Real ID. Think it was my real name? What if trolls all did the same thing that I did a long time ago to my account with theirs?

bread's done
Back