Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

[quote name='Clak']Were those marines fighting other marines in the trailer?[/QUOTE]
Prolly just some good ol' TvT. With Raynor's crew, the Dominion, and the UED, there will probably be a lot of human infighting.

Sorry if this was on this thread or the main web site and I didn't see it but 3 questions.

1 I would imagine SC2 would have co-op during map battles again but does anyone know if it will have co-op for the main playthru of the story?

2 From what I read in this thread I should not need a physical copy of the game in my computer once installed. If me and my wife were to co-op the game either in playthru or map battles would I need 2 unique copies of the game?

3 I should easily surpass most required specs but my motherboard is a EVGA-7150/630i and it has the vid card built in. I know it has 512mb dedicated to it and it says NVIDIA GeForce 7 series on the box. I have not been able to find much info on how that translates into video card compatibility jargon. I can output at 1080p from my CPU to my tv with very few issues. Planing on picking up at midnight launch and didn't want to get it home and not be able to play it...

Core 2 duo 2.66
4096k ram
Win XP
realtek compatible sound
empty pci-e 1x16, 1x1 available if needed

Thanks for any and all help.

1) There is no co-op play in the campaign, it must be played solo. Custom maps or other official multiplayer maps can be played with "teams" or in "co-op" depending on how you see it.

2) You would need two separate copies because it goes through Battle.net (internet required) and doesn't allow the same key to connect at the same time. There may be ways around it in the future, but those are illegal.

3) Your CPU, RAM, OS, Sound are all fine. Your video card can probably run it on low end settings, but it would be recommended that you get a PCI-E x16 (1.0, it's not a 2.0 slot) card (that your power supply can handle) if you want to play it relatively well.

EDIT: I should probably fully note that while you can use many 2.0 PCI-E video cards in a 1.0 slot (but not all), it won't run faster than the 1.0 slot allows which is half the speed of 2.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
One question I haven't really been into an RTS since DUNE (CC basically skinned LOL I know), but I am considering getting SC2 how else will I spend my 25$ gc for Gamespot... anyway being such a Noob wondering if any other CAG noobs will be picking up the game and/or playing online perhaps using Ventrillo as live chat and teach/learn from one another?

[quote name='mercilessming']anyway being such a Noob wondering if any other CAG noobs will be picking up the game and/or playing online perhaps using Ventrillo as live chat and teach/learn from one another?[/QUOTE]

I'm a definite RTS noob and I'm picking up SCII. I'd definitely be up for playing with other noobs.

[quote name='Draekon']1) There is no co-op play in the campaign, it must be played solo. Custom maps or other official multiplayer maps can be played with "teams" or in "co-op" depending on how you see it.

2) You would need two separate copies because it goes through Battle.net (internet required) and doesn't allow the same key to connect at the same time. There may be ways around it in the future, but those are illegal.

3) Your CPU, RAM, OS, Sound are all fine. Your video card can probably run it on low end settings, but it would be recommended that you get a PCI-E x16 (1.0, it's not a 2.0 slot) card (that your power supply can handle) if you want to play it relatively well.

EDIT: I should probably fully note that while you can use many 2.0 PCI-E video cards in a 1.0 slot (but not all), it won't run faster than the 1.0 slot allows which is half the speed of 2.0.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for the replies. That extra note at the end was another question I had as well since I was just considering getting a 2.0 card if it would work so I could just transfer it to my next board. I have a antec 650 earthwatts power supply. Am I likely to run into problems with a new video card with this supply? FYI I would not want to spent more than $200 on a vid card if at all possible and much less than that as possible. (HDMI out 1784x1004 i think. when I use 1920x1080 on my tv it goes off the screen.. wasn't able to play red alert on my tv because of this...)

Basically I am just looking to play SC2 fairly well, not crysis or something. Again thanks for any and all help.

I called WalMart and they said they will be doing some sort of promotion for the game on Tuesday but didn't specify what when I asked. Anyone know anything about this because the Kmart around me doesn't carry PC Games and I heard a rumor they're doing a $20 VGC promotion.

[quote name='madcyantist']I called WalMart and they said they will be doing some sort of promotion for the game on Tuesday but didn't specify what when I asked. Anyone know anything about this because the Kmart around me doesn't carry PC Games and I heard a rumor they're doing a $20 VGC promotion.[/QUOTE]

look in the Deals section of CAG, it's right there

where do you guys think i'll have the best shot at getting the collector's edition tonight? i just stopped by at the san carlos best buy and they said they would only have between 3-15 of the collector's edition. that leaves frys in sunnyvale and all the gamestops.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']< 10 hours to go on the east coast! W00T![/QUOTE]
I know, right? Well, more like 24-26 hours for me. Amazon says I should get it tomorrow, but UPS shipments usually don't get here until the late afternoon.

Still, :bouncy:

Also, someone showed this to me today, hehe.

I can't wait to go pick it up tonight at...Walmart? Not one Gamestop of the 5-6 in my area are having a midnight launch.

Was just going to pay and unlock the download version after work, but I managed to not be scheduled tomorrow :)

Ergh, I dunno if I will get it at launch. $60 is a lot atm... and I generally will only play UMS games.

I wish they would track your UMS plays/wins ect. I've always hated playing 2 hours of a tower defense game, beating it and then everyone just quits and that's it. Now indays everything is tracked, so the lack of that in the custom games really stands out. I know that's shallow thinking, but even just a leaderboard or the ability to see if your friends played/finished certain game types would be nice.

I have two collectors editions preordered.. i suspected that Best Buy would screw me since they never earmark their stock for those who actually preordered said item... That wouldn't bother me all that much if not for the fact that I think the guy at Gamestop set me up with the wrong version of the game. I'm going to stop in tonight after work and verify at both places. I'll be right furious if I don't get my CE.

In any event, Ars has some good photos of the CE if anyone is curious: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...tarcraft-2-collectors-edition-in-pictures.ars

Does anyone know when gamestop.com sent off their orders? My understanding is that they charge once it's shipped. I got charged last week on...Tuesday or Wednesday, and my account online says it has shipped, but the tracking number doesn't pull anything up at all - it says it cannot be checked online.

So, if anyone knows when the official ship date was, that'd be great to know. For the record, I have the slowest free shipping (didn't bother to call them to upgrade to 3 day when that whole thing happened), so just trying to figure out when it might get here. I go out of town on Saturday and was hoping to at least have it before then.

Thanks.

This wait is intolerable, and I won't even have the thing until Thursday.

Ah well, won't have time to play until the weekend anyway.

[quote name='Strell']Does anyone know when gamestop.com sent off their orders? My understanding is that they charge once it's shipped. I got charged last week on...Tuesday or Wednesday, and my account online says it has shipped, but the tracking number doesn't pull anything up at all - it says it cannot be checked online.

So, if anyone knows when the official ship date was, that'd be great to know. For the record, I have the slowest free shipping (didn't bother to call them to upgrade to 3 day when that whole thing happened), so just trying to figure out when it might get here. I go out of town on Saturday and was hoping to at least have it before then.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Must've been shipped directly from Blizzard so your guess may be as good as anyone's as to when it will arrive, when GS ships items themselves with that shipping it usually takes 3-5 days. See if you can find someone who has bought an item directly from Blizzard. I would not be surprised if it also arrived in 3-5 days to you so there's a good chance you'll get it before Sat unless they have too many orders to process.

I'm going to try and pick up a copy tomorrow at Kmart, I just absolutely loved my limited time with the beta and I want moooooooore.

I was pretty surprised to see that my crappy vidjya card worked decently well with SC2. Go Blizzard!

I think I'm the only one waiting for a review before I buy.

I was so into Warcraft 2 (which got a 96/100 in PCGamer), that when Starcraft came out, it got a "measly" 92/100 from PCGamer... so I passed on Starcraft. I'm pretty sure I'm not making that mistake again... but it'd be nice to know it's worth full price.

[quote name='MadChedar0']I think I'm the only one waiting for a review before I buy.

I was so into Warcraft 2 (which got a 96/100 in PCGamer), that when Starcraft came out, it got a "measly" 92/100 from PCGamer... so I passed on Starcraft. I'm pretty sure I'm not making that mistake again... but it'd be nice to know it's worth full price.[/QUOTE]

Joke post?

So had a question about if my video card can handle the game.

I did the SR test and passed the minimum part. But on the recommended part, I failed on the OS (XP instead of Vista/Win 7) and the video card. My card is a ATI MOBILITY FireGL V5250 and it says I passed the Video Ram and Hardware T&L but failed the Pixel Shader version (mine is 3.0 instead of 4.0) and Vertex Shader version (again mine is 3.0 instead of 4.0).

So you guys think I can run it with a decent framerate on low or maybe even on medium settings?

[quote name='TheRock88']So had a question about if my video card can handle the game.

I did the SR test and passed the minimum part. But on the recommended part, I failed on the OS (XP instead of Vista/Win 7) and the video card. My card is a ATI MOBILITY FireGL V5250 and it says I passed the Video Ram and Hardware T&L but failed the Pixel Shader version (mine is 3.0 instead of 4.0) and Vertex Shader version (again mine is 3.0 instead of 4.0).

So you guys think I can run it with a decent framerate on low or maybe even on medium settings?[/QUOTE]

SR test? whats that?

[quote name='TheRock88']So had a question about if my video card can handle the game.

So you guys think I can run it with a decent framerate on low or maybe even on medium settings?[/QUOTE]

You should be fine. The shader versions are just for advanced effects. You'll probably be able to run it at medium settings.

amusing fact about the installer ctrl+ m or +s toggles music

since my pre order of the collectors edition was canceled for some reason from gamestop.com (was a 25% off order from months ago) decided to go to the bestbuy midnight thingy downtown for fun pretty much just read while waiting in line. I feel the guess passes are a nice touch.

fyi

welp on a geforce 7 the game is nearly unplayable...

i had a better frame rate running doom on a 386 20 mhz...

just a fyi to any in my boat... off to by a new vid card tomorrow..... zzzzz...

[quote name='TheRock88']Awesome, thanks brownjohn[/QUOTE]
It might be worth seeing if someone here wants to give you one of their SC2 guest passes... that way you can at least see if it runs decently well before going out and buying the game. I think it's for 7 hours of game time?

UPS showed up, earlier than usual. Wooohoo...
Hell, it's about time.. Yeaahhh

[quote name='floormat']fyi

welp on a geforce 7 the game is nearly unplayable...

i had a better frame rate running doom on a 386 20 mhz...

just a fyi to any in my boat... off to by a new vid card tomorrow..... zzzzz...[/QUOTE]

just picked up a radeon hd 5450. should more than cover it...

Wish FedEx would arrive sooner. :cry:

[quote name='lmz00']The game is taking forever to download. :(

Still beats having to go to the store to buy it, though.[/QUOTE]

You should have pre-downloaded it if you knew you were going to buy it digitally.

[quote name='Draekon']Wish FedEx would arrive sooner. :cry:

You should have pre-downloaded it if you knew you were going to buy it digitally.[/QUOTE]
I didn't even know that you could download it until they mentioned it on CNBC a while ago. I was planning on buying a boxed regular edition and keeping my CE sealed.

Edit: Turns out disabling peer-to-peer networking makes it go much faster.

Did anyone preorder their game from Gamestop?
I preordered my copy back in April, now it says my order is backordered :cry:
I thought preorders meant they reserved copies

I managed to get both of my CEs.. which is nice because a friend really wanted it but didn't manage to get a preorder in early enough to secure one. The CE boxes are sexy as hell... they are sitting on my desk, staring at me.

Another 6 hours before I can open it up and play it.

bread's done
Back