start with Yakuza 3 or Yakuza 1 ?

AzGoat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I played Yakuza for a bit at my brothers place and enjoyed it very much. Now my question is should i start with the first one or just jump in at the thired one?

If you enjoyed the first game I suggest starting with it. The newer games look much better but the engine is still very similar. Getting the whole story will make you appreciate the sequels more and each game is exciting.

I started with Yakuza 1 a year ago and now I am playing Yakuza 4. Every game has been great with Yakuza 2 being my favorite so far. I definitely suggest starting from part one and working your way up.

I agree. I loved the two PS2 versions, but I imagine it would be hard to go back to them after playing the PS3 editions. Doing so will also make you appreciate how far the series has come. That said, I always forget who some of the characters are in between games, fortunately each of the newer games has a recap of what has happened in the previous titles.

Having finished Yakuza 1,2, and 3 I'd say go in order. If you don't have access to Yakuza 1 or 2 go with 3.

There are little references to previous games in each of the sequels, but you can see the previous games explained with the sequels.

It's worth pointing out that the sequels have a literal recap of previous games in the series, so if you can't get your hands on a copy of the first two, you'd be fine to start with 3 or 4.

Also- if you are playing these on your PS3, it's worth noting that some models of the PS3 have problems with this game around the 3/4 mark. I never attempted to play the 2nd one, but I believe that it also had some problems. May be wrong though.

I really enjoyed playing 1 but haven't been able to get back into the series (though I did buy 2-4). Like the previous poster said though, there is a really in depth breakdown at the beginning of 3, but 3 starts out super slow, so unless you already love the character it might be a bit of a grind.

The first game is still my favorite... the combat felt kinda cheap at times for tougher enemies/bosses (it might have been due to inexperience with the series) but the story is the best in the series. And since each game is a continuing story, you'll enjoy the series more if you play it in order.

Word of caution, the first game is the only one that's subbed in English. When I started the second one, I really missed the subbing (since it was very well done). But I got over it after a few hours and hasn't bothered me since.

[quote name='nbballard']Also- if you are playing these on your PS3, it's worth noting that some models of the PS3 have problems with this game around the 3/4 mark. I never attempted to play the 2nd one, but I believe that it also had some problems. May be wrong though.

I really enjoyed playing 1 but haven't been able to get back into the series (though I did buy 2-4). Like the previous poster said though, there is a really in depth breakdown at the beginning of 3, but 3 starts out super slow, so unless you already love the character it might be a bit of a grind.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is worth noting. Yakuza on my 80G MGS4 bundle PS3 locked up at many points so I had to play it on my PS2. I can't remember any issues with Yakuza 2 though. See this list for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ompatible_PlayStation_2_and_PlayStation_games

It really all depends on your tolerance for terrible combat and long load times. The first Yakuza had some of the worst load times on the PS2, and since the game uses random encounters, this is a huge problem. The combat also feels very unsatisfying as you'll be hitting air most of the time as the lock-on system is completely broken (maybe it was never meant to be a lock-on system and was instead a strafing system -- I dunno...). All of this was fixed in Yakuza 2, however, which is my favorite out of the first 3 numbered games.

Not sure why so many people suggest you play them in order though as the stories are all pretty self-contained, and if you absolutely must know what happened in the previous games, there's the recap trailer feature as others have mentioned.

Anyway, regardless of where you decide to start, here's a few tips for the entire series:

In the first game, make sure to get a Kevlar Vest as soon as possible (just look it up in a guide) to protect yourself from being knocked down by bullets, otherwise you're gonna have a very hard time with one of the bosses. I managed to take him down on first try, but I only had one hit left on my health bar and had used up all my energy drinks. You don't have to worry about it in subsequent games though as bullets don't have the ability to knock you down anymore.

Never play a Yakuza game on Hard Mode. It makes the combat a complete chore as enemies will be turtling all the time and have significantly increased health bars. It doesn't actually increase the difficulty of the game, however, as you can just fill your entire inventory with energy drinks and power through anything the game throws at you.

Whenever starting a new Yakuza game, I suggest checking a guide to see where all the move tutors are. I always seem to miss these and then don't unlock the coolest moves until the very end of the game.

And finally, if you do decide start at the very beginning of the series, make sure to space them out a bit as they're all very, very similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks everyone but i think i'm going to start with the third only because i came across a copy for trade. looking forward to the game :D

I started with 3 and have played 4 also. Haven't played 1 or 2 but the videos tell enough to understand the story.

[quote name='Axersia']
And finally, if you do decide start at the very beginning of the series, make sure to space them out a bit as they're all very, very similar.[/QUOTE]

I very much agree with this. I just played 3 and now I don't feel like playing another Yakuza game for a year.

thanks everyone but i think i'm going to start with the third only because i came across a copy for trade. looking forward to the game
Try hard to persevere through the snoozetastic Okinawan orphanage period in the beginning of 3. I played Yakuza 1 so I knew it had to get better eventually, but if I hadn't I probably would've quit the game early on.

Start with 4, watch all the recaps and remember that 4 has the most beautiful song ever made.

bread's done
Back