Starting to Question my need for the 360

V

Virtua

I have been super hyped about the 360 since it was announced.. preordered and everything.. I have $150 down on it already at my work even.. I'll be saving for it so that i have enough by the time it comes out without breaking my bank, so cost isn't a worry..

it's just that I've noticed I play PSOne games even more than the current gen stuff, so I dunno if I even will really need a X360. I think there's some great games coming out and I am really excited about it though. I just think I could go the rest of my gaming days playing what systems I have now.

Regardless, once it launches and the hype is going, I will want one, so im not gonna cancel my preorder, it's just something odd I noticed.. anyone feel the same?

I don't really care for it now, but once it comes out I will want one due to the hype, and me being jealous :D

I'm probably going to wait for the PS3 though, because it has more games I'm interested in coming out for it.

you could always wait until the first price drop. by then, all the great games that peeps will be buying at launch will hopefully be "platinum hits" hehe.

no, i have been excited about it for awhile, and look forward to the launch. I wish they had let the current generation run awhile longer. Your just seeing games now, that look great. I would imagine they could pull out better looking games on current gen systems. It isn't just xbox either, as sony has been talking ps3 for awhile now as well.

A lot of the games coming out for it near launch are going to have an incarnation on the regular old Xbox as well, so...

MS better hope the 360 versions look a LOT better.

But I'll definitely want to get one of the upcoming systems. I might wait a year or two, but if I don't stop gaming altogether I'll pick one up. I've been an Xbox only gamer so far this gen, so I'm hoping to fill the year or two gap by picking up a GC or PS2 on the cheap. But I still have quite a few Xbox games to play. Haven't had a stretch since I got my Xbox (about a year and a half ago) where I haven't had at least a few games on deck to play.

I just sold my Xbox, 8 games, extra controller, and DVD remote for $139 to EBGames to put towards and Xbox 360 so this thing better be good.

Upwards of $300 for a graphics enhancement? No thanks. Not only that, generally, the first gen games for a new console are lack-luster, save for a few. I could always be proved wrong, but chances are, the games that are out for this generation such as RE4 or God of War are going to be much more fun than the first gen games on the 360. I never understood buying a new system as soon as it comes out, seems like it burns you more often than not.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I just sold my Xbox, 8 games, extra controller, and DVD remote for $139 to EBGames to put towards and Xbox 360 so this thing better be good.[/QUOTE]

Dang, you got ripped off bad. I probably would have paid at LEAST $200 for a bundle like that. Maybe higher, depending on the games.

Still, I guess $139 towards a 360 is better than nothing.

I'm super-hyped for the 360 too... but not for the same reason. I'll be looking into picking up an old-school XBox on the cheap when this thing hits stores.

[quote name='Maverick CRV']Dang, you got ripped off bad. I probably would have paid at LEAST $200 for a bundle like that. Maybe higher, depending on the games.

Still, I guess $139 towards a 360 is better than nothing.[/QUOTE]

Well, I tried to sell it elsewhere, but no one was going for it, and I quit Ebay because their sellers fees are ridiculous

I learned my lessons from the last launch year I'm deff waiting for a price drop or a really good killer app. I bought a ps2 on the launch day and all it was good for was to watch fight club and the matrix and an ocassinal game of madden

I don't question my need for it, cause I know I don't need it in the least ;-)

but I won't be spending more than a $100-125 on launch day(after credit), so it's not a problem. not worried about games either-- give me DoA 4 and I'll be set for months.

I'm questioning my need for it too. I put down $50 on the first shipment because I didn't have a Xbox at that time (I'm sharing one with my brother and I live away in college). But since I have picked up a Xbox for $50 from Compusa, I'm not so sure anymore. Plus the fact that if Sony drops the price for PS2 to $100 during the holidays, I'm more incline to pick up the PS2 for all the games I can't play this gen.

If I could save enough money, maybe I'll go for it...

I'm very intent on eliminating my debt load, so it's extremely unlikely I'll be in the market for a new game system until well after all three new entries are launched. My past enthusiasm for buying systems at launch (Saturn, Dreamcast, DS, PSP, Jaguar, N64, GameCube, Xbox, PS2) has rarely had any benefit beyond the transient thrill of being among the first to get a closeup examination of the new box. For instance, I had deep doubts about the Playstation when it first appeared and didn't end up getting one until the price was down to $150. I've since gotten vast use from the PS1 library on that machine and its successor. Putting off the purchase until the platform was well established save me money on the hardware and the software.

A big factor for me is that I almost never buy full price software. Other than a few RPGs in the SNES era during a time when I was being extremely irresponsible, the only full price games I've bought in the last ten or so years have been a single launch title to go with each new machine. (Due to the EB/TRU trade-in deal I got a bunch of PSP launch titles and I got a lot of early first party Xbox software for free thanks to a friend whom Microsoft sends several of everything they make.) So the pleasure of that launch purchase is truly short-lived. The machine is likely to start collecting dust while waiting for early titles to get marked down.

On that basis, why bother? If I felt more secure in my finances I'd indulge myself but OTOH I've accumulated literally hundreds of games over the years and have only properly played a fraction of them. And there remain several dozen titles from this generation I'm still planning to acquire when the price is right. So I won't be lacking for games, just the thrill of the latest tech. All things considered, I think I'll hold out on the Xbox 360 and PS3 until I'm also shopping for my first HDTV display.

Launch Jaguar? :shock: No wonder you're hesitant.

If you don't want to drop a lot of money on the 360, you could always sign up in the CAG "free360xbox" conga line, and finish a pyramid scheme with 8 referrals.

[quote name='mykevermin']Launch Jaguar? :shock: No wonder you're hesitant.

If you don't want to drop a lot of money on the 360, you could always sign up in the CAG "free360xbox" conga line, and finish a pyramid scheme with 8 referrals.[/QUOTE]

I had high hopes for it then. I'd had some contact with the people behind the chipset and knew they were putting a lot in there. Unfortunately, it was never fully debugged, creating endless frustration for the few developers they had. But even so the potential was there. The few instances of mainstream companies doing titles showed that. Rayman originated on the Jaguar, for instance. Anything Capcom or Konami was doing on the SNES they could easily surpass on the Jaguar if that incarnation of Atari had posessed the capital needed to get the ball rolling. The Jaguar version of Doom was far and away the best console version of that generation and the only one produced by Id itself.

Anyways, my Jaguar, possibly the first one sold in LA County (it had a serial number under 4000 but had to be traded in for a later unit due to a chipset update needed for Doom) since I convinced TRU to let me have before they put out any floor display, was nowhere near full price. TRU had a much looser exchange policy then and I was very good at finding games on blowout that could be taken in for much more store credit (the old Geoffrey money) value than my cost. The Jaguar, and later the Saturn that I picked up on the way home from E3 where its surprise launch had been announced, were both purchased with Geoffrey money acquired at a very steep discount.

Later on, I had the TRU Visa card, which pays back 1% on all purchases outside TRU and 4% on purchase within TRU. At the time this generation was coming to market my job involved frequent purchases of equipment for clients and assorted travel expenses. So long as I was recompensed before the bill was due, I was, as you can imagine, more than happy to allow my TRU Visa to be used for this purpose. The entirety of my PS2 and most of my Xbox and GameCube cost were covered by this.

Even so, I could have used the credit for other things than launch price hardware and accompanying games that might have served me better in the long run. Since I no longer have the same work situation I would be covering more of any new machine out of pocket unless another scheme like the TRU/EB trade-in leading up to the PSP launch came about. That, along with the mountain of unplayed games I already own, makes me disinclined to jump in early on the next generation. The Jaguar's failure isn't a factor. It's still part of my collection along with other also-ran platforms like the 3DO and CD-i. The CD-i was a freebie, however.

i succumb to the hype, cause I know im gonna want one so much once it comes out. I still love my psone though.

I am more geeked in general that new consoles are coming out.
I will get a 360 at release. Just cause I guess. I feel or you could say I know that when it comes out I will have one or two games for it and then I will be playing all of my old box games.

I'm not thinking about getting any of the next gen consoles at launch. The 360 and PS3 don't have many games that interest me; many 360 games that I want will be out on the PC and I have yet to see a PS3 game that Sony will confirm is actual graphics (not projected crap, because Sony projected that the PS2 could do Toy Story quality graphics:lol:). Then there's the price issue.. the 360 is projected to be at least $300, possible more, and Sony even said that the PS3 will be expensive which makes me wonder how expensive exactly as all of their products seem overpriced. And then the software will probably be killer... I'm thinking we'll be lucky to get games for $50. Finally, MS and Sony products have crapped out on me more than once... and it's usually the first gen hardware that are the crappiest ones.

The only console I might get on launch is the Rev... it'll be reliable and cheaper than the competitors, I know that much at least. But I hope the system will be able to impress me with audio/visuals (though that sounds doubtful at the moment) but at least that means the games won't be as expensive. My only problem with it is if it'll alienate 3rd parties due to the controller, which better be damn revolutionary.

But by far, the biggest reason why I'm not looking forward to next gen consoles is because I have plenty of current gen and old school games to finish.:D

I am gonna get a 360 if they have a special edition version like the halo xbox mainly for the fact if i get sick of it i can resell it for more. After i played my halo xbox for a year i sold it for 260 with no games. :)

I'm still hyped about it. I have close to $200 credit at GameRush, so I'm hoping to get it there with little to no cost to me (since I still have 10 pre-orders paid in full there....I could technically cancel all of them and have enough for a 360 and a few games)

I've got about $250 down so far on the 360, but I'm on the second shipment, whenever that comes in, and yes im very excited about the next gen systems, but I hardly doubt it will take place as my favorite seeing as dreamcast is the greatest system ever invented

Yeah I feel the same way too. I really want a xbox 360 but now I really want a ps3, sad considering I'm a hugh x-box fan boy.

Well I guess this really is the cheapass gamer community lol. I'm a huge fan of whats happening with the new system. The way there taking EVREYTHING online is great. I'm also a Huge fan of the Project Gotham series and the developer. I'm also very excited about the Perfect Dark game and the fact it's being done by the Goldeneye guys has me pumped. They have been hard at work on this game for a long time and I'm betting it's going to be HUGE like Halo sized huge. Were just in that lul peroid where some information has been released but not all and there holding back. Here in a couple of weeks we will see some price anouncements and start seeing a flood of information on the games and the system. The current word on the street is November 2 and a price of 299.

If you have any doubts at all about the purchase, then simply wait and enjoy the stuff you already have or any more software that comes up cheap.

Remember, it is Microsoft's job to sell you on the product. You are not obligated to do anything until they've made a sufficiently strong case for their product. If it takes a certain number of desirable games and/or a major price drop, then so be it. There is no sin about to being absolutely sure of a product's value, especially a luxury item, before you make a financial commitment.

I've completely flip flopped-- i'm selling it the day I get it(since it's already paid) and waiting for them to REALLY convince me to buy it (Ninja Gaiden 2? Price drop? Mizuguchi games being as good as they seem? I dunno but it'll take more.) The only problem will be not being able to review 360 games for awhile. oh well.

I sold my X-box a while ago but there are still some games I want to play. I will by no means buy it right at launch but if it is backward capable to enough games that I missed for the box I will get it within the year probably

yea i agree with most of you guys i think once the hype kicks in most people will get one at launch and then regret it.thank god i dont work at gamestop anymore if not that would have been me falling into that category.i just got rid of my dreamcast.nes,xbox and now i only own a gamecube and ps2 and psone portable.i have atleast 5-7 rpgs for my ps1 not counting the fact im waiting for some games on ps2 to drop and waiting for zelda for gamecube so i think i will be fine till the first price drop comes along.also since i used to work at gamestop every single time a system launches they have problems so i will want to avoid that hastle and just wait till probably next spring or summer till i get one.
but i definetly am looking forward to one sooner or later.

With a launch involving Oblivion, a 360 preorder is impossible to refuse. Condemned, Gears of War, 2 Rare games that might actually be worth playing... I have a hard time trying to talk my way out of buying it at launch.

I've got so many games in backlog, i'm not even thinking about the 360 until at least Christmas of '06. At least unless my girl gets me one because she can't think of anything else to get me. I've decided to tackle and Final Fantasy series, and continue Brothers in Arms on Live. The one machine that looks like it might have some promise is the Revolution. The cheaper price and portability makes it very attractive. Goldeneye will definately be the first game I download. No question. I can already imagine an old school game of Goldeneye on the TV at work. Hope I don't get caught.

It's a great time to be a cheap ass gamer.

bread's done
Back