Starwars series on Blu confirmed

[quote name='karkyco']Cool, hopefully it'll be the original theatrical cuts of Ep IV-VI not with the Lucas 20 year later retcons...[/QUOTE]

Give me some of that crack you are smoking, please.

[quote name='karkyco']Cool, hopefully it'll be the original theatrical cuts of Ep IV-VI not with the Lucas 20 year later retcons...[/QUOTE]

Yea I don't want any of that extra shit either. Hopefully they include it in the extras so you can watch the different cuts pick what you want to watch.

114222-EDQGJ7A.gif

I don't see why they couldn't offer the original cut via branching. With all this goofy shit Blu-Ray can do, I assume they could even just use a method not too different from a music playlist for patching the chapters together in a way where the original scenes (Han shooting first, Shaw's Anakin ghost etc.) are intact. Much more subtly than what DVD does using the same method (a la the old X-Men DVDs that let you splice in deleted scenes).

I think the problem is not the technology, but Lucas himself. I'm pretty sure that he has stated many times that he was not happy with the original cuts of the movies and the 'newer' ones are the true versions of the films. He is not going to put out what he feels is the worse of the two versions regarless of how many mouth breathers living in their mom's basement complain about Han shooting first.

Fine a fucking lee. Who else is ready to get ass raped by Lucas and his plethora of cuts. Do us a favor and give us everything in one box please!

[quote name='Mako1215']Yea I don't want any of that extra shit either. Hopefully they include it in the extras so you can watch the different cuts pick what you want to watch.[/QUOTE]

No, that will be in version 2 of the blu-rays but they will forget to add in the extras. Version 3 of the blu-rays will have both movies and the extras.

Not like anyone else is doing that with their blu-rays :roll: ahem Avatar and Lord of the Rings.

[quote name='WormFOODx']No, that will be in version 2 of the blu-rays but they will forget to add in the extras. Version 3 of the blu-rays will have both movies and the extras.

Not like anyone else is doing that with their blu-rays :roll: ahem Avatar and Lord of the Rings.[/QUOTE]

You're reading my mind:shock: or is this a jedi mind trick? I was thinking of the same thing with multiple versions coming out. I don't mind the wait, since i am satisfied with my LOTR extended cut on dvd and my VHS Star wars trilogy copy. Its just going to be hard to convince my friends not to buy these early versions is where the problem lies.

I hope they have the original 4-6 theatrical versions on there as well .

I never bought the DVD's so I'm stuck with the VHS widescreen hologram boxed set .

LOL! Those will never see the light of day again.

If they release the original cuts it had better not be in the shitty quality that they put on the DVDs. Watching those on my HDTV makes my eyes bleed. Pixilated mess, that might cover half of the screen space that it should. On BD there would be no excuse for that.

As far as I know the original theatrical version/original print of Empire no longer exists. (Lucas taped over that one like a dummy) So, unless they do a transfer from the laserdiscs ,..I wouldnt count on seeing those.(They did release a theatrical dvd/special edition box set a while back)

Anyways, I figured the blu-rays were on their way when that Star Wars in-concert tour kicked off last year (around Sept I think) They use this gigantic screen in the bg and show HD clips from the StarWars films along with the ochestra.Also - It was during this Concert series that they debuted the digital Yoda on Episode 1.
Good lord I hope theres no digital Yoda in Empire

For the BD version, Lucas is going to replace every puppet/rubber mask in the series with a digital version so their faces are more true to his original hallucinations.

George thought Han was too much of a bastard, and not family friendly enough. That's why they changed it. The only problem is that Han was very much a bastard. He didn't change until way later. But the retcon has him being more like Indiana Jones than Han Solo.

I think im one of the few people who love the original cuts, but the new remastered ones with han not shooting first and such are great.

I still cant believe people bitch about who shoots first in a gun fight that last 3 seconds.

Did anyone actually think these weren't coming out on bluray eventually?

As mentioned previous, Lucas is a whore and will release starwars until the end of time on different formats for more money.

You just know he's going to release these, but you can only purchase them by buying a Star Wars super set with all 6 movies in it for 190 dollars.

It's not so much about the fact on who shoots first (although I do have strong opinions about it), it's about the fact that Lucas is being dishonest about the change of the scene. Lucas stated that the majority of changes in the movies were mainly due to technical limitations in the 70's and some changes due to in part the whole production/pace of putting the movie together to get it in the theater. In regards to the shooting scene, this is totally untrue. There was nothing in the 70's that technically held Lucas back from making Greedo shoot first. Also, production issues also wouldn't have prevented Greedo from shooting first. This change was made because Lucas didn't like the image it protrays Han in. As the series was developed, Han becomes a hero. (I could be wrong, but if memory serves me right, Star Wars really was not intended to have a sequel. They took a big risk and space/scifi movies weren't doing well at this time. They didn't know if it would flop or sell. Yes I know, it's episode 4 and Vader gets away. But if successful, then they would consider continuing the series. It was successful, and Lucas put together the next two in the series). Now as the next two are being produced/told Han become a hero in the Star Wars universe. This original image of Han as a brutal killer looks bad. Harrison Ford is hitting his peak in his career. Lucas is getting into a cuddly family friendly mindset (evidence: Ewoks not Wookies in Return Of the Jedi). My opinion on the shooting thing is that changing it does an injustice to the whole process that Han goes through as he becomes a good guy. We originally saw a selfish, brutal person who is not afraid to do anything immoral to protect his own skin. It was great that Greedo didn't even shoot in the original. We see Solo become the dangerous character to roguish smoozer to heroic leader. I like it that way and this little scene is important to the process. But like I said, what I'm really most bothered about is Lucas won't admit why he changed it. I wouldn't be surprised if one day we see the scene in Indiana Jones change when he is running through the street of the Egyptian city and comes across the man with the scimitar. Jones just shoots the guy. I wonder if Lucas feels this needs an update. I guess we'll have to wait until the Bluray to find out. Of course I could be wrong, who knows.

[quote name='dmdragon']Did anyone actually think these weren't coming out on bluray eventually?

As mentioned previous, Lucas is a whore and will release starwars until the end of time on different formats for more money.

You just know he's going to release these, but you can only purchase them by buying a Star Wars super set with all 6 movies in it for 190 dollars.[/QUOTE]

No one in the world was doubting them being released, just a matter of how long they were going to hold out. Didn't it take like 6 or 7 years for the original trilogy to come out on dvd?

[quote name='dmdragon']Did anyone actually think these weren't coming out on bluray eventually?

You just know he's going to release these, but you can only purchase them by buying a Star Wars super set with all 6 movies in it for 190 dollars.[/QUOTE]

3 of those discs would be some expensive coasters.

[quote name='genfuyung']3 of those discs would be some expensive coasters.[/QUOTE]
Well, 2 of them. No one can get enough Jar Jar and only in Ep. 1 do we get enough of him.
Actually I am a little serious about that. While Jar Jar was terrible 1 was the best of the 3. The lack of chemistry between Anakin and Amidala kills the second one (not to mention a just horrible script) and the let down of Darth Vader not hunting down the Jedis kills third. At least the first has some stupid fun.

I've already purchased these films on three previous formats, I think I'll pass on the fourth one. I have to hand it to Lucas though, as the most succesful filmmaker who can re-market the same films repeatedly and make more money. Unfortunately, the films haven't gotten any better (other than the effects).

I wish that Lucas would release the two trilogies separately on Blu-Ray, instead of all 6 together. I actually wouldn't even mind to double-dip and buy the originals again, because they're worth it. But I absolutely can't stand the newer trilogy. This will most likely come with a HUGE price tag too, so I'll probably pass. You can't really blame Lucas though, because you know people will fork over the cash in a heart-beat...

His kids is probably the true reason why he changed the Solo scene. As was said above, his admiration of Frank Oz caused him to implement the Ewoks. Who were initially loathed by fans as pandering to children...but later retroactively made acceptable because of the Jar Jar fiasco trumping the Ewoks. The character of Jar Jar was designed by his kids. He literally let his kids make a character. That's certainly why Solo was retroactively "softened," whereas Chewbacca maintains the same character development that Solo was stripped of.

It's incorrect to imply Solo was a bad guy. He wasn't bad, he was simply a smuggler. Basically a criminal as a result of his upbringing (essentially an intergalactic hoodrat) that did what he did to survive, not to be evil. Him shooting Greedo first just means he's trying to get a jump on a bounty hunter paid to deliver him to his doom. But having him dodge the shot and kill Greedo uses the "self defense" explanation, as well as linking into the rather shitty scene where Jabba is pussified in the same manner Solo was. (ie: when he steps on his tail in a messy slapstick CGI scene).

If Solo shot first, and that Mos Eisley hangar scene didn't exist, it would have better suited the whole criminal underworld element of Star Wars. Where Solo is a shady character and Jabba is to be feared. The retcon ruins Solo's character development that the core viewers grew up on, and Jabba ends up being nowhere near the intergalactic Don Corleone that Lucas seems to have originally implied.

Now, in regards to the Shaw ghost, that retcon makes sense. Anakin was disfigured as a young man. So seeing a ghost that is free of disfiguration but at the older age that he died is illogical. It still irks me, but I can accept that. Making Solo a pussy is unacceptable. He was the penultimate sci-fi film badass. As evidenced here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-lJl_oXNN4

[quote name='heartagram311']I still cant believe people bitch about who shoots first in a gun fight that last 3 seconds.[/QUOTE]

sigh... You really don't know anything about the internet, do you?

LOL

[quote name='heartagram311']I think im one of the few people who love the original cuts, but the new remastered ones with han not shooting first and such are great.

I still cant believe people bitch about who shoots first in a gun fight that last 3 seconds.[/QUOTE]
because it doesn't make sense that Greedo shoots first and misses. Freaking stupid.

I wont believe this when I have the BluRays in hand. I have read about and wanted this from the day BluRay won the format war. I'm surprised Lucas didn't see that HD was losing it and did a rush to put them on HD DVD just to make a quick buck. Hell as long as it was just the movies and no extras it would have sold.

just what CAG needs moar of, every fan boy coming out of the closet! Star Wars is the ultimate topic, I'm sure this will eventually blow up over 5 pages once more info is released.

A lot seems positive, but all I can say is thank god these are coming out! Give me any version you want. I don't see why people want the original theatrical when all the additional footage adds for more story, closes some gaps, and explains some miniscule detail in brief glimpses.

You guys cry foul b/c LOTR BD wasn't packed with the extended editions, now, you are saying you won't buy Star Wars if it has the extended footage!? :roll: :lol: This will be a day one purchase for me, no matter what the content or price.

Lol. The whole greedo shooting first thing imo isnt that big of a deal. I mean, yes, i get that if lucas wanted greedo shooting 1st in the original cut, he certainly had no technical limitations preventing him from doing so. But lets go back to the theory that han is supposed to be this ruthless bad guy. Maybe at that time, lucas never thought that empire and jedi would ever be made, so he went with han being just this killer who has no regard to others.

Now lets flash forward to the late 90's and lucas has the opportunity to add and adjust this to his original films. Maybe, just looking at han in the first film and then looking at his character in the sequels showed that han shooting first made him look too cut throat. So he changed it. I look at that scene now as everyone on tattooine thinks everyone is out to get them, but han, while still a smuggler, isnt as cut throat as everyone thinks he is.

By having him not shoot first, you get the idea early on that han is gonna stick around, despite his attitude toward everyone initally.

It isn't about the footage being extended. What people have an issue with is some of the stuff that was changed and episodes 1-3 when george was going insane.

I wouldn't necessarily mind tolerating the 90s re-release edits, but I hope I can avoid things like Young Anakin at the end of Jedi. I figure I'll have no such luck, well on the first version anyway.

[quote name='WormFOODx']No, that will be in version 2 of the blu-rays but they will forget to add in the extras. Version 3 of the blu-rays will have both movies and the extras.

Not like anyone else is doing that with their blu-rays :roll: ahem Avatar and Lord of the Rings.[/QUOTE]

And the fourth edition will include the 3D versions of the films.

I think you guys are thinking of The Lord of the Rings. If you remember, they only released Star Wars once on DVD. It had a wide screen and a full screen version and that was all. I don't think Lucas wanted to dilute the thing by releasing so many times. Plus it took him a long time to do it.

[quote name='typical guy']I think you guys are thinking of The Lord of the Rings. If you remember, they only released Star Wars once on DVD. It had a wide screen and a full screen version and that was all. I don't think Lucas wanted to dilute the thing by releasing so many times. Plus it took him a long time to do it.[/QUOTE]

There were the 2004 widescreen and full screen trilogy releases, the 2005 widescreen and full screen trilogy releases, the 2006 individual theatrical/new version releases of episodes IV, V, and VI, and the 2008 repackaging of the trilogy.

And that's just what I found on Amazon. ;)

Over/ under on how many versions are released?

I'll go with three first one the saga with similar extras to the last release on DVD. Second the saga with even more extras than you can stand. The third will have 3D versions of the movies.

I keep seeing people complaining about wanting the original release(s) only. Are there even many differences? The only ones I can think of is Han shoots first in IV and Anakin's ghost in VI. If those are the only changes, I can't see what the fuss is about...

[quote name='Luigi01']I keep seeing people complaining about wanting the original release(s) only. Are there even many differences? The only ones I can think of is Han shoots first in IV and Anakin's ghost in VI. If those are the only changes, I can't see what the fuss is about...[/QUOTE]

I want both. I remember and love the original. I have never seen it with the extra hoopla added, but it might taint it for me. I just want the oldschool star wars. The main that worries me with the added crap is if i can tell it's added.

There's no fucking way the original cuts of the first 3 movies are going to be the ones released. not a chance in hell.

bread's done
Back