State of the Union? Anyone watching/watched?

sarausagi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I am watching the democratic response right now: honestly, he's sounding like a fucking communist right now.

As for the state of the union itself, if some of it were true, I'd appreciate it for my own family [the tax benefit would really help us with our $400 monthly health insurance]

As for Iraq, I don't really care anymore, get it over with, just don't screw us up anymore, hustle down, finish whatever it is you need to do, and get out.

I liked the speech though, most people here hate Bush, and while much of what he says is not exactly true, his intent seems rather genuine.

Anyone notice someone waving a Mexican flag for like half a second in the middle section of the upper seating?

I watched. It was my first time watching one all the way through, and damn do they clap A LOT.
I had to keep track for my AP Government class, and there were 25+ standing ovations.

[quote name='LiquidNight']I watched. It was my first time watching one all the way through, and damn do they clap A LOT.
I had to keep track for my AP Government class, and there were 25+ standing ovations.[/QUOTE]

If you're recording the number of ovations for your AP Government class, I guarantee that you will absolutely fail the fuck out of the AP test come may. :lol:

[quote name='sarausagi']I am watching the democratic response right now: honestly, he's sounding like a fucking communist right now.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Jim Webb is a total left-wing nutjob.

You're right on the fucking mark.

They showed the SotUA here in Indonesia on CNN International. I missed most of it because I was too busy watching Emperor's New Groove on DVD. I had to sit through WAY too many of those when I lived in DC. As some of you have mentioned, it's nothing more than a dick sucking clap fest.

[quote name='kennistond']I figured
one of the four remaining suitcase nukes would hit
during the speech so I went to the basement.:cool:[/QUOTE]

Don't worry....

Jack Bauer was in DC during the speech just to prevent that from happening. So you were safe the whole time.

Fool me once shame on you.

Fool me twise shame on you.

Fool me 3 times shame on you.

Fool me 4 times shame on you.

Fool me 5 times shame on you.

Can't fool me 6 times because I didn't listen to the lies.

The state of our union is strong!!! No shit you are going to say that, but once North Korea or Iran give nukes to the terrorist he won't have to worry about it, he won't be in office.

EDIT - Anyone know who was the one person in the line of command that had to stay home just in case?

I grabbed a transcript of the speech and ran it through the autosummarize function on Word. This is the speech in 100 words.
==============================
America rejects the false comfort of isolationism. I urge members of Congress to serve the interests of America by showing the compassion of America.

It remains essential to the security of America. Keeping America competitive begins with keeping our economy growing. Keeping America competitive requires affordable health care. Keeping America competitive requires affordable energy. If we ensure that America's children succeed in life, they will ensure that America succeeds in the world.

America is a great force for freedom and prosperity. In recent years, America has become a more hopeful nation. May God bless America.
=================

And to think, this 40 minute speech used to be a two page letter sent by the president to congress with no grandstanding at all.
I used to lean very left politically until I hit the age of 25 and started making enough money to have taxes begin to be a burden. Even with my tendencies towards the conservative side (at least in terms of economics) I still think Bush is just a propped up clown who has no idea how to do anything.

I missed it. I watched the aftermath though. The Democrates weren't too happy about the idea of sending more troops in.

[quote name='ChubbyChase']I missed it. I watched the aftermath though. The Democrates weren't too happy about the idea of sending more troops in.[/QUOTE]

WOW! THAT'S fuckNIG BREAKING NEW!!!

Democrats, several top gerenals who lost their jobs for not backing the troop increase, many Republicans and 70% of the country agrees. Truely shocking info through!!!

:roll:

[quote name='sarausagi']I am watching the democratic response right now: honestly, he's sounding like a fucking communist right now.

[/QUOTE]

Jim Webb, Webb's father and now his son (and all the other brave men and women in the U.S. military) put ther lives on the line every day they serve(d) so you have the freedom to say bullshit like that.

If you think his response sounded 'communist' (timely reference by the way... nice) then maybe you should go live somewhere besides the U.S.A. home of brave heroes like Jim Webb.

Just a thought. ;)

I want to share with all of you a picture that I have carried with me for more than 50 years. This is my father, when he was a young Air Force captain, flying cargo planes during the Berlin Airlift. He sent us the picture from Germany, as we waited for him, back here at home. When I was a small boy, I used to take the picture to bed with me every night, because for more than three years my father was deployed, unable to live with us full-time, serving overseas or in bases where there was no family housing. I still keep it, to remind me of the sacrifices that my mother and others had to make, over and over again, as my father gladly served our country. I was proud to follow in his footsteps, serving as a Marine in Vietnam. My brother did as well, serving as a Marine helicopter pilot. My son has joined the tradition, now serving as an infantry Marine in Iraq.

Like so many other Americans, today and throughout our history, we serve and have served, not for political reasons, but because we love our country. On the political issues -- those matters of war and peace, and in some cases of life and death -- we trusted the judgment of our national leaders. We hoped that they would be right, that they would measure with accuracy the value of our lives against the enormity of the national interest that might call upon us to go into harm's way.

We owed them our loyalty, as Americans, and we gave it. But they owed us -- sound judgment, clear thinking, concern for our welfare, a guarantee that the threat to our country was equal to the price we might be called upon to pay in defending it.

The president took us into this war recklessly. He disregarded warnings from the national security adviser during the first Gulf War, the chief of staff of the Army, two former commanding generals of the Central Command, whose jurisdiction includes Iraq, the director of operations on the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and many, many others with great integrity and long experience in national security affairs. We are now, as a nation, held hostage to the predictable -- and predicted -- disarray that has followed.

The war's costs to our nation have been staggering.

Financially.

The damage to our reputation around the world.

The lost opportunities to defeat the forces of international terrorism.

And especially the precious blood of our citizens who have stepped forward to serve.

The majority of the nation no longer supports the way this war is being fought; nor does the majority of our military. We need a new direction. Not one step back from the war against international terrorism. Not a precipitous withdrawal that ignores the possibility of further chaos. But an immediate shift toward strong regionally based diplomacy, a policy that takes our soldiers off the streets of Iraq's cities, and a formula that will in short order allow our combat forces to leave Iraq.

- from Webb's response to the SOTU

bush's speeches are always awfully redundant and fluffy. and his arguments to support the stupid shit he does are always the same-- we're fighting for freedom and democracy, you're with us or against us etc. etc.

he's been saying the same damn thing for years...we need a fresh face with fresh ideas in office.

bread's done
Back