Steam: Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 - $4.99! (Update: Multiplayer Added)

SmileyMcSmiles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Just released on Steam. Basically it's AvP Gold and the Millennium Expansion Pack updated to run on modern PC's (and includes 360 controller support). While not a "deal" per say, it's a great game at a dirt cheap price for AvP fans. It doesn't currently have multiplayer support, but it's been confirmed that Rebellion will add MP via a patch in the future for free.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/3730/

Update: Rebellion has released a patch to add the multiplayer component of the game. So if you haven't bought it already, now the value of this game has at least doubled.

In case some people are weary, here's what the game plays like. Sure the graphics are dated...but the game is still awesome with outstanding atmosphere. Something most games of today still fail at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIYfU-j-gf4

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='fart_bubble']just wonder when the multiplayer patch will be released[/QUOTE]

Same. I remember getting on to Gamespy, joining up with 3-4 other people, running into a bunker and barricade ourselves inside while the aliens tried to get in. Good times.

I remember loving to play Skirmish mode in this multiplayer. It was pretty badass to take on endless swarms of aliens as marines and predators with some friends. Still have this on disc, but it doesn't seem to get along with new operating systems.

[quote name='TheRock88']Same. I remember getting on to Gamespy, joining up with 3-4 other people, running into a bunker and barricade ourselves inside while the aliens tried to get in. Good times.[/QUOTE]

That was the map me and my friends all played as well.

Bunker at the end of this long alien infested valley.

My friends would all play marines and I'd play Predator....they'd get so pissed off when they got in the way of the disc. Good times, good times.

[quote name='fart_bubble']just wonder when the multiplayer patch will be released[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they are simply rebuilding the netcode for modern machines/connections, along with Steam network applications. I assume it shouldn't take more than 1-2 months (given that they are finishing up work on AvP3).

I was going to bite on a couple things I really didn't need on GoGamer...after seeing this...Steam has just stolen my monies once again.

bought it earlier, never played before, stopped when i was stuck on the first alien level for 30 minutes trying to figure out where to go. terrible level design lol. will try a different campaign tomorrow!

[quote name='eastx']This is awesome; I shall have to get it soon. Are there any mods for it? I'm guessing maybe not...[/QUOTE]

there were a whole crapload of them, dunno if they work on this

I may end up picking this up when the netcode gets fixed. I am totally buying the 360 one when it comes out. Such a huge Alien fan.

I was gonna post this yesterday, but i assumed all the comments would be complaining of the nondealness, so i posted it under the pc section... Cag, I will never understand...

[quote name='Chuplayer']How does this compare to the Atari Jaguar version? I heard that version was awesome.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing. The Jaguar version WAS AWESOME.
Im stoked for the new one coming out for xbox 360 in a few weeks.

If my Graphics card is Intel 82852/92955 GM/GME, you think I can still run this? It's an older Toshiba MX laptop. 2GB of RAM.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']No comparison. The PC version destroys the Atari Jaguar version, hands down. Compare the above PC version video to the Jaguar version here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtN9l2quujo[/QUOTE]

Considering the Atari Jaguar version was out Mid 1990's, and the PC version was out 5 years later on a PC, I would hope to God it looked a little better.

The Arari Jaguar version was HANDS DOWN the best looking AVP on any console of games that were of that type. I remember playing a few Alien type games for the Playstation and the Sega Saturn that just reeked in comparison. I know I know they werent "Alien vs Predator" but they were very similar, I cant even remember their names, but I will ALWAYS remember AVP for the Jaguar.

Excellent. I lost one of my AvP Gold discs somewhere. I may have to be super cheap and wait for the 2010 holiday sale or something though.

I'm playing the game for the first time, and I've been blown away.

For a game released a decade ago, the visuals are FANTASTIC. The lighting, in particular, is insanely good. I've only played about 20 minutes, but despite its age it's freaking INTENSE. The way the lighting is set up and the way your character moves, it feels like I'm hallucinating as I run through the corridors. I can't really explain it, but it's something no other game has done to me. And the aliens are insanely fast, so you have to be on your toes at all times. This game really caught me by surprise, holy crap.

I think i like the way the aliens look in the jaguar better though, anyone think the aliens look wierd when standing upright coming towards u?

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']
EDIT: In case some people are weary, here's what the game plays like.[/QUOTE]

I think you mean "wary".

[quote name='destro4eva']If my Graphics card is Intel 82852/92955 GM/GME, you think I can still run this? It's an older Toshiba MX laptop. 2GB of RAM.[/QUOTE]

If you can't run a game from 1999, go buy a new computer :p

[quote name='ster']oh man, just hearing the sounds from the youtube video made me all nostalgic

consider it bought[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what struck me. The pulse rifle and motion sensor sounds are dead fucking on.

If I had a computer that could run Steam I'd be all over this. Hopefully it stays up (and relatively cheap) until I get a new PC.

[quote name='MrKing']Considering the Atari Jaguar version was out Mid 1990's, and the PC version was out 5 years later on a PC, I would hope to God it looked a little better.[/QUOTE]

Well, he was answering someone's question. Doesn't really matter when they came out. What does matter is that the other guy wanted to know which version was better.

[quote name='the_punisher']If you can't run a game from 1999, go buy a new computer :p[/QUOTE]

If u can't answer the question, then please, be quiet.

[quote name='destro4eva']If u can't answer the question, then please, be quiet.[/QUOTE]

No, I agree with the Punisher.

Halo05, you don't have a Windows PC?

[quote name='destro4eva']If u can't answer the question, then please, be quiet.[/QUOTE]

Well...it seems like your integrated board either has 32 or 64 MB of video memory. Honestly, I do think it's enough, and possibly more than enough to run this game. I mean, this game requires a really old proc: Pentium II 400 MMX.

Make sure you have the lastest drivers, version PV14.19.50.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...Intel®+82852/82855+Graphics+Controller+Family

I'm confident you should be good to go for this game.

This is a fantastic deal, and definitely a walk down memory lane.

However, being the CheapAssGamer that I am, I refuse to buy this UNTIL they release the free multiplayer add-on that is missing in action (still baffled).

OK, dumb question, but I know this supports XB360 controllers, but how about a Logitech Rumblepad 2 PC controller? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or it's just not supported for some dumb reason, but I am unable to get this controller to work

The only reason i hesitate on buying it is because i KNOW it'll be $2.50 during some Steam sale, and i'll want my $2.50 back. Should i suck it up and buy it anyway?

Hmm...

[quote name='the_punisher']The only reason i hesitate on buying it is because i KNOW it'll be $2.50 during some Steam sale, and i'll want my $2.50 back. Should i suck it up and buy it anyway?

Hmm...[/QUOTE]

no, i think you should wait until they have a 'pay what you want' sale and give them a penny!

[quote name='the_punisher']The only reason i hesitate on buying it is because i KNOW it'll be $2.50 during some Steam sale, and i'll want my $2.50 back. Should i suck it up and buy it anyway?

Hmm...[/QUOTE]

I probably will wait. I've got a backlog and college to worry about. :lol:

[quote name='qwerty1']no, i think you should wait until they have a 'pay what you want' sale and give them a penny![/QUOTE]

Steam doesn't do that. :whistle2:s

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']This game was/is great although I wonder why they choose this version and not the superior AVP2.[/QUOTE]

cheap promotion for the new game (both Rebellion games) and the second one was from Monolith and except for the FEAR games, I've never any of their older games hit any of the online marketplaces

[quote name='fart_bubble']cheap promotion for the new game (both Rebellion games) and the second one was from Monolith and except for the FEAR games, I've never any of their older games hit any of the online marketplaces[/QUOTE]

That sucks to hear because I'd love to check out AvP2 and revisit NOLF 1&2 and Tron 2.0. I wonder what's keeping them from releasing those older titles on Steam?

I picked it up last night. Not exactly digging it, but I haven't given it much time yet. Dirt 2 is so much more fun right now.

EastX - Nope, I do not have a windows-based PC. I've actually bought Steam games in the past in anticipation for my next computer but like someone else said, this'll probably have at least a sale price at some point. Given the fact that I can't even play it at the moment, I think I'll just wait for either a sale or my eventual new computer.

Halo05 that makes sense. No need to rush if you really can't play the game yet. Good luck with the new PC plans!

[quote name='fart_bubble']cheap promotion for the new game (both Rebellion games) and the second one was from Monolith and except for the FEAR games, I've never any of their older games hit any of the online marketplaces[/QUOTE]

Ah.

I forgot that Rebellion only did part 1 and not 2.

Both were good though so its mainly IMHO down to graphics and such.

So those getting AVP1 through this deal are getting a great game.

[quote name='PikaPichu']That sucks to hear because I'd love to check out AvP2 and revisit NOLF 1&2 and Tron 2.0. I wonder what's keeping them from releasing those older titles on Steam?[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt mind going through the blood games.. I think i only ever played the shareware of that... it was pretty sweet though. Shooting the flare gun.. excellent memories...

[quote name='Chuplayer']How does this compare to the Atari Jaguar version? I heard that version was awesome.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']No comparison. The PC version destroys the Atari Jaguar version, hands down.[/QUOTE]

They aren't "versions" of each other; they're entirely different and separate games.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']No comparison. The PC version destroys the Atari Jaguar version, hands down.[/QUOTE]

Well, they aren't "versions" of each other; they're entirely different and separate games. If I could only have one or the other, I'd take the PC game (multiplayer!!), but the Jag version is a really terrific game, for that platform/era.

bread's done
Back