[Steam] Civilization IV Complete for $10; Civ III for $1.25

Wow, that's really good. There's a lot there to ignore your social life with.

I definitely liked Civ 3 the least out of the four, but still played a lot of it in it's time. Civ 2 & 4 are tied for my favorites.

holy..! $1.25 for a game? never played a Civ game, doubt I'll play III but for that price, might as well grab it, you can't even get a 20oz soda at a gas station for that!!

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not, but Direct2Drive also has Civ 4 complete for the same price. Just for the people that don't like Steam as much I guess.

This is actually cheaper by a few dollars, I think. In for Civ 3, it's a no brainer at that price for my laptop (which doesn't run 4 very well)

[quote name='m_m23']Any opinions on how this game plays for a total newbie to simgames? Civ 4 would be my first intro to the series.[/QUOTE]

Same question.

[quote name='m_m23']Any opinions on how this game plays for a total newbie to simgames? Civ 4 would be my first intro to the series.[/QUOTE]

It is quote accessible, the game designers really know how to make it easy to pick up

the only downside is that it is a timesuck, you can easily lose several hours without even realizing it, the gamplay is incredibly addictive

Wow those are some great prices. I already have both those games and the expansions. Didn't really like Civ 3 that much. Civ 4 however is fantastic.
Damn, Civ IV:Colonization is included in that pack! It's tempting to grab the package just for that one.

Yeah I went ahead a purchased it after looking at the review on gamespot and some comments on the forum, also helps that nemoy is the man.

I grabbed IV during the Holiday Sale, and I've been enjoying it a lot, so it seems like I have to get III for $1.25...

What are the major differences between IV and III?

[quote name='vherub']the only downside is that it is a timesuck, you can easily lose several hours without even realizing it, the gamplay is incredibly addictive[/QUOTE]
I can't tell you how many times I've been rolling along and looked at the clock expecting an hour to have gone by and it's been 4 hours.

There is so much gaming in these 2 packages for 11.25 that it's disgusting. If you don't have one or both of the games and you like strategy gaming you absolutely owe it to yourself to get these packages. You won't regret it one bit.

[quote name='vherub']It is quote accessible, the game designers really know how to make it easy to pick up

the only downside is that it is a timesuck, you can easily lose several hours without even realizing it, the gamplay is incredibly addictive[/QUOTE]

this is true and I've only played Civ rev on PS3. I was cruising along playing it and it was like 3AM - 4 hours passed and I was like wtf??

anyway, how's the gameplay to the console experience? I enjoyed Civ Rev alot, but I understand it may be dumbed down some, but I kind of liked that since it wasn't too much to all swallow at a time. I felt CivRev was very casual friendly which got me playing it and ejoying it. can the same be said about Civ IV?

Wow, good deals! Steam's been on a roll! I've never played the Civ games, but I do enjoy some RTS every now and then (even though I suck at them).

[quote name='mokmoof']What are the major differences between IV and III?[/QUOTE]

Ditto to this.

I have all the Civ games individually except Colonization. Can anyone tell me if the steam and the individual games can be installed at the same time? (Probably will just uninstall the originals just want to know) Also do mods work well with the steam version? For 10 bucks this is acceptable backup to my hard copies and new purchase (colonization).

[quote name='Commander0Zero']I have all the Civ games individually except Colonization. Can anyone tell me if the steam and the individual games can be installed at the same time? (Probably will just uninstall the originals just want to know) Also do mods work well with the steam version? For 10 bucks this is acceptable backup to my hard copies and new purchase (colonization).[/QUOTE]

All mods should work with Civ IV, and I believe they can be installed at the same time as Steam has it's own folder.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Wow, good deals! Steam's been on a roll! I've never played the Civ games, but I do enjoy some RTS every now and then (even though I suck at them).[/QUOTE]

It's not an RTS, FYI. I have Civ IV but haven't played in a while - I think it's turn-based?

This deal teaches me not to ever buy "gold" or "complete" editions in store, because inevitably the digital version will be a fraction of the price.

Has anybody had to play CIV 3 on a Netbook/EEEPC? I have steam on there mostly for deals like this but I want to make sure it will play ok. Looking online it looks like you need to do a few hax to get it to work but I'm just curious if CAG's have any experience with CIV/EEE.

I'm going to spring anyway since it's so damn cheap but any experiences would be helpful.

[quote name='vanlandw']Has anybody had to play CIV 3 on a Netbook/EEEPC? I have steam on there mostly for deals like this but I want to make sure it will play ok. Looking online it looks like you need to do a few hax to get it to work but I'm just curious if CAG's have any experience with CIV/EEE.

I'm going to spring anyway since it's so damn cheap but any experiences would be helpful.[/QUOTE]

If memory serves the problems it has with netbooks is the screen resolution, the game has a mininum screen resolution of 1024x768, and many netbooks have lower lateral resolution than that and so it refuses to play.

If your netbook has a screen with higher res than that then you have nothing to worry about.

Wow, $1.25 for civ III? Looks like I am finally getting it :p. And I already had Civ IV complete from previous sales, wish I would have waited.

Bit on Civ III. Thanks, OP!

Seriously though, what should I expect? How is it different from Civ IV (other than the obvious graphical differences)?

[quote name='vherub']It is quote accessible, the game designers really know how to make it easy to pick up

the only downside is that it is a timesuck, you can easily lose several hours without even realizing it, the gamplay is incredibly addictive[/QUOTE]

I am going to pass. Thanks for reminding why stopped playing CIV games.

Civ 3 doesn't have as in-depth a religion system, no subterfuge and as far as I remember, not as in-depth a leveling system for your units.

It also is balanced for a far far longer game, Civ4 changed things towards speed drastically.

^ lol so true.. I've been guilty of this.. I gauge now if I can get 1hr/$1 then I'm solid, no regrets.. but still don't plan to get CivIII

*edit* would it be stupid to just get Civ IV vanilla? saves me $5 just in case I don't enjoy it lol. Also how does the expansions work? Are they "backwards compatible" meaning the new additions of say warlords or colonization are found in playing the vanilla? or is it all one game package? Sorry if this is confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to buy both and when I get my laptop this summer I can load it up with some simple games like Civ 3 that are not graphic heavy.

Really torn about this, since the retail Civ 4 complete has absolutely no DRM... I know Steam isn't bad but I'd prefer none... but it's taking waaay too long for the retail version to drop!

[quote name='Justin42']Really torn about this, since the retail Civ 4 complete has absolutely no DRM... I know Steam isn't bad but I'd prefer none... but it's taking waaay too long for the retail version to drop![/QUOTE]

does the Direct2Drive have DRM? If you don't want anything even no steam... that's also $10 for complete.

I'm definitely tempted to get Civ 4, but I only have a Mac. Anyone think it'll carry over when Steam comes to Mac next week?

^ I would not be surprised honestly. Could always wait for the next sale although it may be a while. Unless you don't mind $5-$10 and play the waiting game =)

[quote name='aznguyen316']^ lol so true.. I've been guilty of this.. I gauge now if I can get 1hr/$1 then I'm solid, no regrets.. but still don't plan to get CivIII

*edit* would it be stupid to just get Civ IV vanilla? saves me $5 just in case I don't enjoy it lol. Also how does the expansions work? Are they "backwards compatible" meaning the new additions of say warlords or colonization are found in playing the vanilla? or is it all one game package? Sorry if this is confusing.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering this too. I was thinking of just getting Civ IV and not the entire collection.

bread's done
Back