Steam Code Drop ~ NO BEGGING! NO TRADING!

The point to "crying" is two-fold. One is to let everyone know how unlucky they are that they were minutes or hours late on a code drop (whatever the game is doesn't really matter to this person) when everyone knows codes are scooped up in seconds.

Typically, there really is no point in announcing to the thread you were a little bit late or waaaaaaay late in grabbing a code EXCEPT for the hope that someone saw your declaration of how unlucky you are, that person happened to have the code (again, whatever the game is doesn't really matter), and decided to give it to the crier to reward them for being late and letting the thread know it.

It works so can't blame them for doing it all the time. But like you said, it doesn't matter that they get a key, since they'll be right back at the next key drop announcing to the thread they were late and are so unlucky.
That is pretty pessimistic. Although, i'm sure some people do that, that is to assume the worst in people. I like to stay engaged in the discussion, let people know it's gone and say "thank you for the chance" to the gifters even if lurkers haven't. But according to you, i'm more likely looking for pity handouts?

I think thanking gifters encourages them to keep giving (especially when lurkers can't be bothered with it) even if it wasn't me that got their gifts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand completely Devilman.  I've had that very issue with them before, and fortunately they didn't suspend/ban me (although I've been suspended multiple times because their mods are a bit on the power mad side).

I agree with what you said about the lurkers/hoarders.  That's why when I go into a thread I try to find someone I know in there and then I'll PM them and ask who in there routinely gets all the codes, and who in there almost never gets the codes.

And then I'll send the codes I have to those who don't get the codes all the time.  I agree that everyone can do with their codes what they like.  It's a blessing to be given the codes, and hey, the more the merrier.  I think some people also just don't want the hassle of checking messages and whatnot, they just wanna drop the code in the box, hit send and that's that, let everyone fight it out amongs themselves.

I just think that it's unfortunate that a select few people seem to get 90% of the codes, simply because they lurk the thread constantly refreshing.  Not referring to THIS site (I just joined, I don't know that much about how things work here) but over at that other site there's like one or two guys who get almost every code. 

That doesn't seem right, but then again...it's that person's codes, they can give them out anyway they see fit. And since the site doesn't seem to smile on anyone deviating from those rules, it leaves little room for options. 

I just do it on the low and figure out who hasn't gotten codes and send them their way.  That's what I did with Devilman over there, especially after hearing his story about losing his movies. 

Um this is weird, I keep trying to redeem these walls of texts which are presumably Steam codes since this is the Steam code drop thread, but it's giving me invalid code messages. Someone want to try giving away a valid Steam code instead of recycled banter? :razz:

Personally I like when people let me know that they appreciate the codes I very rarely drop in this or the Xbox thread, whether they get them or not. I also go out of my way to find people in these thread and PM them codes without actually posting in the thread because they posted they missed something they actually wanted. I know theDevilman can personally attest to this. I gave him a ton of codes because I now he was actually looking for them.

Honestly, it's the nature of the beast. If you can get something for free and all you have to do is be the fastest, you'll get people that subscribe to forums and check in often. (Maybe a LOT.) With smart phones, it only compounds things. I, myself admit that i try to get a lot of these codes for my Kids, Nephews and Nieces. Sometimes i get lucky, usually not so much.

When it's free, though, i'm not sure why anyone complains. If you miss out... well it's not like you had it before so nothing has changed and it's not like you traded or paid anything. You'll never see me complain if i miss something that was free.

However... For my own giveaways i personally like to throw in a few extra rules to ward off lurkers, stalkers, hoarders, etc... and so i might also occasionally "suggest" or "encourage" ;) other methods of giveaways throughout the forums... But really, it's up to each person to give away their own stuff the way they want to. It's theirs to give and not everyone want's to put in all that extra time. The mentality being, "i'm not going to use it, maybe someone else can but i don't want to put a whole lot of time into it." And quite frankly, good for them! They don't have to share at all! It's great of them to do so in any form!

All that being said, if anyone with giveaways has a few minutes, check out my giveaway ideas linked to in my signature. I offer at least a few fairly hassle free ideas that really should help with the problem. :)

But please... let's try to avoid getting angry or complaining about who wins what. People don't have to give anything away to anyone. It is great that they do at all. And it could be FAR worse. Over at Blu-ray.com, they are not even allowed to use ANY other form of giveaway other than the "first come, first serve" method. I got in a small debate with one of the moderators over there about how i would give away my own gifts and got banned for a seven full days over it. No warning, nothing. Just a seven day suspension for trying to make it more fair for MY OWN giveaways! So i guess over there, you're not even allowed to debate the issue. The moderator got whiney about it and closed the thread. I called him out on it and reported him as "abusing his power" and they saw it as pushing things too far. Hence my ban. Good for them, though. They can keep their forum for a***oles. I'm good staying away from that. ;)

I'm just glad we have more options here. But not everyone is going to do it that way.

Anyway, now i'm going way off topic and starting to sound like i'm whining myself. Time to put the soapbox away... lol ;)
I understand completely Devilman. I've had that very issue with them before, and fortunately they didn't suspend/ban me (although I've been suspended multiple times because their mods are a bit on the power mad side).

I agree with what you said about the lurkers/hoarders. That's why when I go into a thread I try to find someone I know in there and then I'll PM them and ask who in there routinely gets all the codes, and who in there almost never gets the codes.

And then I'll send the codes I have to those who don't get the codes all the time. I agree that everyone can do with their codes what they like. It's a blessing to be given the codes, and hey, the more the merrier. I think some people also just don't want the hassle of checking messages and whatnot, they just wanna drop the code in the box, hit send and that's that, let everyone fight it out amongs themselves.

I just think that it's unfortunate that a select few people seem to get 90% of the codes, simply because they lurk the thread constantly refreshing. Not referring to THIS site (I just joined, I don't know that much about how things work here) but over at that other site there's like one or two guys who get almost every code.

That doesn't seem right, but then again...it's that person's codes, they can give them out anyway they see fit. And since the site doesn't seem to smile on anyone deviating from those rules, it leaves little room for options.

I just do it on the low and figure out who hasn't gotten codes and send them their way. That's what I did with Devilman over there, especially after hearing his story about losing his movies.
Yeah, those BR mods are a bit thin skinned, lol. When my seven day ban is lifted at BR, not even sure i'll go back. It's a primal feeding frenzy over there, lol. And by no means should you say so, lol.

Just a tip for those that can't sign up for Steamgifts due to the account value issue, You should try signing up during one of those free weekends on steam since that game counts towards your account value. Call of Duty free weekends usually help since they add ~$60 in value.

doom and destiny for desura 

who wants it? and tell me if the code worked or not 

also if you have some steam games that you want to trade pm me please

doom and destiny for desura

who wants it? and tell me if the code worked or not

also if you have some steam games that you want to trade pm me please
any drifter want the code

edit :i guess epicgilgameesh is the only 1 who wants the code .

first to comment with a gif of batman running with a bomb wins fortix 2

EDIT: to prevent someone selling it I will paste the code here 1 hour later

first to comment with a gif of batman running with a bomb wins fortix 2
batman-bomb-run-o.gif

First person to post a gif of a similar scene that is in all of edgar wright's movies starring simon pegg and nick frost gets Dead Space (steam or origin).

Thank you very much!  I really appreciate it!

In the spirit of giving and paying it forward, I found I have a code for a copy of a game called "Chester" on Desura.  I'm not sure what this game is, but if someone would like it they are welcome to it.

The first person to post a humorous "batman horrified" picture with funny caption can have it.

bread's done
Back