Steam: Copy Game Saves?

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
262 (100%)
How do I go about locating game saves for Steam games? I found a program called GameSave Manager that looks to do the work for you but I wouldn't mind grabbing them myself if it's not too hard. I'm running Windows 7 and looked in my user folder but didn't see any there. I have Steam installed to the D: drive though so I'm wondering if that is making the difference. Currently I'm looking for my Nyxquest save. Do all saves have a certain extension? Any and all help would be appreciated...thanks.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Just a warning, I used GSM a few weeks back and it deleted every fucking game save I had and the backup was corrupted.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up...glad I didn't use it. So I see all my folders but what are the extensions for game saves? Are they all different for each game? It seems like a guessing game from what I'm looking at.

It depends on the game. Most Valve games store in a saves folder inside the game folder. Most others seem to save into your Documents folder on the other hand.

[quote name='jkam']Thanks for the heads up...glad I didn't use it. So I see all my folders but what are the extensions for game saves? Are they all different for each game? It seems like a guessing game from what I'm looking at.[/QUOTE]

Games differ but for the most part they usually have a folder devoted to saved games.

.sav and .dat are some often used formats.

What I have done over the years is I have made a folder in my 'My Documents' folder to the save folders/files for each game that I play that have a save file system. Every Friday (of a week in which I played a game that uses those folders) I email myself my saves...in the event of a HD crash or to continue playing the game from where I left off on another machine elsewhere or my laptop/netbook.

Requires a little work to get up and running but it's a click after that .

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Just a warning, I used GSM a few weeks back and it deleted every fucking game save I had and the backup was corrupted.[/QUOTE]

I've used GSM and it's worked great every time. Really handy for keeping Vent info and NBA 2K11 saves.

[quote name='SEH']I've used GSM and it's worked great every time. Really handy for keeping Vent info and NBA 2K11 saves.[/QUOTE]

I've no clue what happened, I did a backup before dropbox syncing. The dropbox sync said it was so many megabytes but had zero data in it, and the back up was a 72kb dud. Many games died that day...

Also check out the new Steam "cloud sync" option. Very cool when fully implemented. Its game by game, but if your game utilizes it to sync saves, it makes things incredibly easy.

bread's done
Back