Steam Deal this weekend: Red Orchestra $5

i think i heard it's supposed to be super realistic by only having iron sights and no notifications for when you kill somebody. also, there are 44 new achievements and a new map called 'fallen heroes.'

Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome game.

It is highly realistic, but super fun once you get the hang of it. Anybody who likes realistic shooters should buy this.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning they're doing another free Unreal Tournament Weekend. You can play for free this weekend and/or buy it for $11.99. Price ends March 22.

[quote name='banzaiwolfe']This probably isn't the weekend deal, just like the UT3 sale wasn't the weekend deal.[/quote]

[quote name='Steam'] Red Orchestra Update Released and Weekend Deal

March 12, 2009, 11:40 am - Valve - Press Release

A major update is now available for Tripwire Interactive's Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45, adding in all new Steam Achievements and the new "Fallen Heroes" map. As always, if you already own the game, your copy will update automatically through Steam, for free.

To celebrate, Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 is Steam's Weekend Deal at 66% off until Monday, March 16.

For more information about Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 and Steam, please visit www.steamgames.com.

[/quote]

Hmmm... Anyway, love the price but I've never heard of this game before. Do many people even play this?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TruthinessFC']http://store.steampowered.com/news/2339/

Hmmm... Anyway, love the price but I've never heard of this game before. Do many people even play this?[/quote]

According to Steam's stats, it regularly peaks around 1100 players/day. While many of the players are in Europe, you can still find some good US servers. I haven't played it since the last Steam sale, but it was pretty fun, provided you're not expecting a run-and-gun game (and have some patience...cover is key).

I will probably bite on this. I have a hard time saying no to just about any steam game at five bucks. (btw World of goo is a blast!)

Steams weekend deals don't normally get posted until 10am-12pm PST. if this is available now, it may be a weekend deal but it's not THE weekend deal. They have another game on sale this weekend too, Project Aftermath. Also recently updated with Steamworks. I doubt that's the deal as well...and it also went on sale yesterday.

Steams popular weekend deal's come on Friday, not Thursday (so even the timing is wrong).

[quote name='Vegan']MP-only = no sale[/quote] Same for me, I like mp games but I need a single player game to make it worth buying.

[quote name='Vegan']MP-only = no sale[/QUOTE]

That's all I needed to say. At best I'll fire up an FPS' multiplayer after finishing the game. Play it for 20 minutes or something, and go "Yep, still hate this".

MP only? I bought it and didnt see that :( I love my MP FPS, but like some single player too. Oh well $5 is like a penny nowdays... err.. ok with the economy the way it is, maybe not...
Clok

I have been playing the red orchestra games since it was originally a mod for UT2004
and i personally love it, i just wish more people played it though...hopefully steam offering this deal along with a new map and achievements will get more people on board.
It is ultra realistic so it has a learning curve but after that period of time its a lot of fun ^___^

[quote name='Nameless One']Steams weekend deals don't normally get posted until 10am-12pm PST. if this is available now, it may be a weekend deal but it's not THE weekend deal. They have another game on sale this weekend too, Project Aftermath. Also recently updated with Steamworks. I doubt that's the deal as well...and it also went on sale yesterday.

Steams popular weekend deal's come on Friday, not Thursday (so even the timing is wrong).[/QUOTE]

I feel dejected now that I see it is in fact what they're considering the weekend deal. (advertised within steam where they normally put these deals). This has got to be the worst weekend deal I've seen in a long while. Oh well, can't like and want everything they sell.

[quote name='Nameless One']I feel dejected now that I see it is in fact what they're considering the weekend deal. (advertised within steam where they normally put these deals). This has got to be the worst weekend deal I've seen in a long while. Oh well, can't like and want everything they sell.[/quote]

A $15 online game on sale for $5, that was just updated with a new map and steam a achievements. Sounds like a terrible deal :roll: The game has pretty decent ratings, so I don't see why everyone is hating on the deal. Steam can't match every deal to $5 Bioshock.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']A $15 online game on sale for $5, that was just updated with a new map and steam a achievements. Sounds like a terrible deal :roll: The game has pretty decent ratings, so I don't see why everyone is hating on the deal. Steam can't match every deal to $5 Bioshock.[/QUOTE]

I don't want $5 Bioshock either, I want a game that's not less than 20 dollars being the weekend deal. I like it better when a 50 dollar game is 35 dollars personally. Or a 30 dollar game 20. It's not a deal because 15 dollars is already dirt cheap. And for a game of this caliber, it's just not gonna get played. I got TF2, UT3, DoD, Q3, and UrT that I play online. I don't really want to even try to find a place for this game in my online play time.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Hate to be a vanity freak but does this game look good (Is it pretty?) or is it just your average source mod but costs money.[/quote]

Its an UT2k4 total conversion mod that costs money.

Its definitely a niche game requiring patiance and tactics. If you enjoy strategy games, you'll probably find it fun. If you enjoy unrealistic hip shooting run and gun type games such as UT or COD, forget it.

The game itself is running a nearly 6 year old graphics engine but it does a superb job of placing the player into a depressing brutal war in the East. The art direction is superb and the map designers went into great detail to make each area look the part. Dont expect superb poly counts and amazing facial animation with next gen textures, you wont find it here. What you will find is a boat load of atmosphere and massive staged maps.

Its very much like the insurgency mod, or if you prefer COD4/5 HC Tactical MP servers, you'll feel right at home.

[quote name='scagnetti']this game is super lame.
pixel.gif

[/quote]

Such an inciteful quote there Mr Scagnetti! Its beyond lame really...

Don't forget: If you do get this game, you can also download the Mare Nostrum mod for free. It doesn't really expand on the gameplay, but it does provide several different maps and vehicles.

[quote name='Vegan']MP-only = no sale[/QUOTE]

Well, you can play with bots, but they are the most incredibly stupid bots I've ever encountered in a game like this.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I hear this game is like the Insurgency mod for Source. you sit and a corner and one-shot people. Pass.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's my fear. Pass on this one. Hope some CAG finds the game fun.

[quote name='Cantatus']
Well, you can play with bots, but they are the most incredibly stupid bots I've ever encountered in a game like this.[/quote]

A bot does not make something a SP game. You're still in an arena, rather than a level.

bread's done
Back