Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Monster Hunter World is coming to Steam on August 9th.

:whee:
Yeah and you need an intel processor from 2014 or later by the min. system requirements.

This is the first time I've been using a PC build that is now six years old, which sucks. It has an i5 3570k. I was looking at the Battlefield 1 requirements last week and saw that you basically needed a 6th gen intel processor (i5-6600k) that is from 2015 or newer. So what happens when I try to play these games? I have never really been this far behind the times before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah and you need an intel processor from 2014 or later by the min. system requirements.

This is the first time I've been using a PC build that is now six years old, which sucks. It has an i5 3570k. I was looking at the Battlefield 1 requirements last week and saw that you basically needed a 6th gen intel processor (i5-6600k) that is from 2015 or newer. So what happens when I try to play these games? I have never really been this far behind the times before.
I broke down and bought this on the 4th. My GPU died and didn't feel like trying to replace it in a PC from 2013, especially one that would need specific parts to replace with (Prototype Steam Machine) because of the size/fit of the case.

This is the first time I've been using a PC build that is now six years old, which sucks. It has an i5 3570k. I was looking at the Battlefield 1 requirements last week and saw that you basically needed a 6th gen intel processor (i5-6600k) that is from 2015 or newer.
I played BF1 fine with an i7-860 (overclocked to 3.6GHz) which came out in Q3 2009. If I could run it, you should be able to as well. I tend to take CPU requirements with a grain of salt. Not saying that you can play anything on anything but they seem to get inflated more than minimum GPU specs.

I doubt it would affect it that much unless its that CPU intensive Im on a i7-4770k that released on 2013 and still have not had any issues with any recent games yet

I played BF1 fine with an i7-860 (overclocked to 3.6GHz) which came out in Q3 2009. If I could run it, you should be able to as well. I tend to take CPU requirements with a grain of salt. Not saying that you can play anything on anything but they seem to get inflated more than minimum GPU specs.
yeah man, I was kinda thinking about you and others on here that have mentioned having older CPUs.

It seems like one of the stranger system bottlenecks. I'm trying to prioritize my order of buying new components right now. Honestly, it seems like the thing to do right now is first, wait for the 11series video cards to come out in (probably) 3ish months. Then wait a bit longer for the new intel chips maybe around Dec or later and then build a rig with one of those new i9 9900s, or the lesser gaming equivalent.

I played the crap out of Monster Hunter World on PS4, great game, but I likely won't pick it up on PC unless cross save is added (not holding my breath). I poured too much time grinding that game to want to start over from scratch.

Great CPU, I had the same processor in my six year old PC as well. Unfortunately I felt like I was starting to really fall behind with those older hardware specs. I grew tired of having to tweak and sacrifice video setting to get a new game passable at or close to 60FPS. Plus, my old MB was starting to have too many hiccups and random errors/restarts. So I built a new PC (8700k + GTX 1080 combo) back in February after acquiring parts from various Holiday sales. It comes at a cost, but ignoring minimum or suggested specs has been nice.

I can use my trash Gmail account for fictitious Humble Monthly referrals AND for inflating the sub numbers on some kid's YouTube channel!

I just want to play Cyberpunk. :bouncy: :drool:
You're going to want one of the i13-9990k series and a 1280ti card. Both set to launch Q2 2021, just in time for Cyberpunk's closed alpha.

I still run most games - i.e. Witcher 3, Battlefield 1, Doom 2016, Prey 2017, Dishonored 2 & Death of the Outsider, GR: Wildlands, etc - on my desktop PC equipped with i7 950, 16 GB RAM, GTX 970 video card, W7 64-bit at Medium or better with either 1080p 60fps or 1440p around 40-60fps.

EDIT:

I think it also is what some are willing to sacrifice for settings too.

If I have no real graphical weirdness with V Sync Off, I just keep it off. You lose so many frames w/ V-Sync On, so if I can get away w/out any major issues with it off - I'll keep the extra frames, thanks.

FastSync (for NVidia users, whether using NVidia Control Panel or NVidia Inspector to turn it on) is to me a better Syncing method than throwing V-Sync On - that's only if nothing going wrong when using it, of course. You can there have (most of) the benefits of No Syncing w/ much better performance - as you can get unnecessary frames thrown out so that the game still does some kind of syncing and it often keeps what it views are the "good frames." Doesn't always work that way, as it wasn't super-friendly w/ HF: The Revolution for me - as it had issues w/ shadow flickering like crazy, when not using V-Sync On at 1/2 refresh rate.

When using V-Sync off or Fast Sync - one can always hard-cap games at 60fps w/ Nvidia Inspector or MSI Afterburner, if need be - as some games even have issues when not capped at 30fps or 60fps like games on Bethesda's Engine (Fallout 3/NV/4) where things like physics go out the window when not capped there.

Also, sometimes it's worth using weaker AO versions or no AO; weaker AA like FXAA; turning off Hairworks; DoF, don't use insane draw distances for like foliage or things you really don't need that far out; and other (often) unnecessary stuff just to framerates high.

Do you guys get like that sometimes when you're playing a game that is hard to beat and will take a while to beat like say Rogue Legacy? I like these games, but sometimes I like games with a clear end that's easier to get to. I do love rogue lites/likes though. It's just backlog woes likely.
Slay the Spire

Slay the Spire

Slay the Spire

Slay the Spire

I don't think he likes pizza
0_102a36_6487fdac_orig.gif

(I subbed but you need to sit him down for a talk)

I will say though that I wouldn't put Rogue Legacy in that category, pretty much every time you die you can buy some sort of upgrade, so the sense of progression is fairly nonstop even if the game isn't necessarily linear, so even if you're not really good at the game you'll eventually get further through building a better character.
Yeah, that was my experience with Rogue Legacy as well. Pretty much any rogue-like game that falls into that category for me. I don't mind replaying the same areas as long as I feel like I'm making progress in the game through unlocking abilities or stats.

The one exception that stands out for me, however, is Spelunky. The tight gameplay and the well-executed randomness make it one of those just one more time games.

Yeah, that was my experience with Rogue Legacy as well. Pretty much any rogue-like game that falls into that category for me. I don't mind replaying the same areas as long as I feel like I'm making progress in the game through unlocking abilities or stats.

The one exception that stands out for me, however, is Spelunky. The tight gameplay and the well-executed randomness make it one of those just one more time games.
Until the rage quit, anyway.

Spelunky is usually good for that because so many times the deaths don't feel "cheap".
If you died, it typically was a direct result of a bad choice or your lack of skill rather than a room being packed with some stupid number of bullet-sponge-y creatures with bullet-hell-esque spray patterns. Sure, the random generation sometimes did toss some really stupid things at you, but by an large they were able to be worked around and passed through with just skill rather than needing some combination of powerups to even have a prayer.

Though, if I had my choice, I'd always pick to have a game designed with an external progression mechanic like Rogue Legacy, as it's just more fun to me. It makes the whole grind of it where the game is kicking your teeth in feel slightly less annoying.
But some people love that, I guess... they're the kind of people that play Diablo in Hardcore mode for some god-awful reason or another, and just love the idea of "Permadeath".

Yeah, rogue likes are nice when done well but there aren't many that really grab my attention...Spelunky is definitely one of them, the others are Binding of Isaac and FTL

I broke down and bought this on the 4th. My GPU died and didn't feel like trying to replace it in a PC from 2013, especially one that would need specific parts to replace with (Prototype Steam Machine) because of the size/fit of the case.
Awesome!!! Hope you enjoy that beast.

What monitor do you plan to hook it up to? 1080p? 1440p? Refresh rate?

Do you plan on going w/ a G-Sync monitor?

I need to upgrade my mobo/memory/cpu and hopefully also the case, I am tired of this one I have had for a really long time.  But I am holding off until closer to fall, hoping for a decent deal or two before or around BF although I've noticed most of the best deals on newer tech seems to be close to but not on BF lately.  First time I have ever had a high-end vid card (usually I have went for the best bang-for-buck card rather than just going for the best thing out there) so it seems a shame not to finish upgrading the rest of my system.  

The case I need to start looking into. I  have ideas on memory so I just need to look for an ok deal, I know what mobos I am interested in and I want an 8700k... but cases I have little idea about.  This case is HUGE but ugly and I have just had it too long.  I know I need something that is easy to work in because after having a case large enough to house a zoo I am going to get pretty frustrated if I am trying to squeeze everything into a small area.  

Amazon Prime Day is coming up on the 16th for those who have prime. I don't remember any spectacular deals from last year but who knows!

What monitor do you plan to hook it up to? 1080p? 1440p? Refresh rate?

Do you plan on going w/ a G-Sync monitor?
He's upgrading from a prototype Steam Box so my guess is somewhere between "21 inch CRT television found on the curb" and "Fish tank".

The case I need to start looking into. [...] I know I need something that is easy to work in because after having a case large enough to house a zoo I am going to get pretty frustrated if I am trying to squeeze everything into a small area.
My case purchasing decisions are usually framed as "Oh shit, I have $50 left in the computer budget." Sets price on NewEgg for max $50....

On a computer building note, Intel stock heat sinks are the absolute worst. Do the AMD ones have that wretched snap pin system? God, that sucks.

It seems like one of the stranger system bottlenecks. I'm trying to prioritize my order of buying new components right now. Honestly, it seems like the thing to do right now is first, wait for the 11series video cards to come out in (probably) 3ish months. Then wait a bit longer for the new intel chips maybe around Dec or later and then build a rig with one of those new i9 9900s, or the lesser gaming equivalent.
Its possible, though uncommon (and usually a sign of poor optimization from my experience), for a game to be more CPU intensive than GPU...

I'm not sure if you remember that Marvel Heroes game I played the shit out off but it was a perfect example. Keeping this short Microcenter ended up having a hell of a Black Friday one year and I was able to go out and upgrade my motherboard and processor to a i7 4770K + new board for 347 bucks. This was 2013. So I assembled that with my old RAM, and old video card (Radeon HD 5850 with 2 GB of RAM) and I was getting better FPS than people who had older CPUs but far, far better video cards.

He's upgrading from a prototype Steam Box so my guess is somewhere between "21 inch CRT television found on the curb" and "Fish tank".

My case purchasing decisions are usually framed as "Oh shit, I have $50 left in the computer budget." Sets price on NewEgg for max $50....

On a computer building note, Intel stock heat sinks are the absolute worst. Do the AMD ones have that wretched snap pin system? God, that sucks.
The new Ryzen ones (well some of the, some of them don't come with stock coolers at all) come with the Wraith cooler, which is really good and eliminates the need to buy a cooler. Some even come with RGB. If I was upgrading I'd go Ryzen all the way (which I did) but I know some people have an affinity for spectres and goblins.

The new Ryzen ones (well some of the, some of them don't come with stock coolers at all) come with the Wraith cooler, which is really good and eliminates the need to buy a cooler.
I have less of an issue with the performance (well, in this instance) and more with the terrible expanding pin mounting mechanism. The one I have had the pins break on two legs when I tried to remove/replace it to apply new paste. Granted, it's nine years old but still. Had to throw down $12 for a cheap replacement cooler.

FTL is fantastic, one of the few games that I can come back to over and over. While I have "only" ~50 hours played on Steam, I have countless more on iPad, easily over 200. The controls translate to touchscreens smoothly and it's perfect to pick up and play for however long you have, be it 15 min or 2 hours. While the randomness can be a bit harsh some times, it's usually on the fair side of things, though hard. Mods on PC have really expanded it as well, I wish I could play mods on the iPad.

Speaking of that, if anybody wants ass pizza for cheap Domino's has 50% off this week.

8TSHxIl.png
Domino's is always pretending to have a "sale" or "special discount" because they dont wanna admit their pizzas are only worth $6. Cost with this coupon is the same as the cost will be next week with another coupon.

Domino's is always pretending to have a "sale" or "special discount" because they dont wanna admit their pizzas are only worth $6. Cost with this coupon is the same as the cost will be next week with another coupon.
The only times I spent money on a Domino's pizza in the last 15+ years were on the gasoline to drive and pick up free pizzas from the no hitter promos a 2-3 summers ago. I don't think I would have even paid $6 for those pizzas. They weren't terrible, just very average.

I have less of an issue with the performance (well, in this instance) and more with the terrible expanding pin mounting mechanism. The one I have had the pins break on two legs when I tried to remove/replace it to apply new paste. Granted, it's nine years old but still. Had to throw down $12 for a cheap replacement cooler.
They say the Intel spectre issues go back decades affecting most chips. Probably due to that.

So I'm sure this will get me kicked out of the computer builders' club, but I have a Cooler Master Hyper Evo something or other rotting in a box at home that my wife probably paid $80-odd for. When I took my i5 CPU out of the box and mounted it to the motherboard and looked at the stock cooler, I said to myself, "Okay, that seems easy enough." Then I got the Cooler Master out, looked at the size of it, compared it to the motherboard and stock cooler, read where it warned you to avoid cracking your motherboard by mounting it incorrectly, put all of that sh*t back in the box, and put the fan/heat sink that came with my CPU on the motherboard and never looked back. I haven't had any problems yet (except for the "I wasted $80 on a cooler I will probably never use" problem).

For the record, I don't even remember putting any kind of fan or heat sink on the CPU in the last computer I built 25 years ago. Maybe there was a small fan, but I don't remember that being the case. Then again, it was 25 years ago.

The only times I spent money on a Domino's pizza in the last 15+ years were on the gasoline to drive and pick up free pizzas from the no hitter promos a 2-3 summers ago. I don't think I would have even paid $6 for those pizzas. They weren't terrible, just very average.
My wife and I occasionally got Domino's instead of Papa John's or Little Caesar's. It's better than LC but not as good as PJ. But they do have good chicken wings if you're in the mood for pizza joint chicken wings. For what it's worth, I've never been convinced that anybody's "50% off regular price" deals are better than "get x topping pizza for x.99" deals; regular menu prices are usually comically-overinflated.

So I'm sure this will get me kicked out of the computer builders' club, but I have a Cooler Master Hyper Evo something or other rotting in a box at home that my wife probably paid $80-odd for. When I took my i5 CPU out of the box and mounted it to the motherboard and looked at the stock cooler, I said to myself, "Okay, that seems easy enough." Then I got the Cooler Master out, looked at the size of it, compared it to the motherboard and stock cooler, read where it warned you to avoid cracking your motherboard by mounting it incorrectly, put all of that sh*t back in the box, and put the fan/heat sink that came with my CPU on the motherboard and never looked back. I haven't had any problems yet (except for the "I wasted $80 on a cooler I will probably never use" problem).

For the record, I don't even remember putting any kind of fan or heat sink on the CPU in the last computer I built 25 years ago. Maybe there was a small fan, but I don't remember that being the case. Then again, it was 25 years ago.

My wife and I occasionally got Domino's instead of Papa John's or Little Caesar's. It's better than LC but not as good as PJ. But they do have good chicken wings if you're in the mood for pizza joint chicken wings. For what it's worth, I've never been convinced that anybody's "50% off regular price" deals are better than "get x topping pizza for x.99" deals; regular menu prices are usually comically-overinflated.
My CM V8 or V6 cooler (forgot which one I had) was a huge monster that required me to unscrew the mobo and screw some stuff in from behind. It was super intimidating but I liked the look of it and other than the superior performance of AMD parts, aesthetic is the most important thing for me in PC builds.

My CM V8 or V6 cooler (forgot which one I had) was a huge monster that required me to unscrew the mobo and screw some stuff in from behind. It was super intimidating but I liked the look of it and other than the superior performance of AMD parts, aesthetic is the most important thing for me in PC builds.
Maybe, but it weighed more than my 2007 Volkswagen Beetle, so I figured I'd be better safe than sorry. . . .

my cpu cooler is a fuckin huge noctua beast that tbh i think is way more hassle than it's actually worth, especially for cleaning it out occasionally. it has two metal heatsinks and four fans

next time i'm going with a liquid cooling setup, fans suck

OMxIKbV.jpg

Domino's is the perfect name for that pizza, since getting it even once acts like a domino effect in the decline of your tastes. Get Domino's once and you'll be eating Totino's out of a trucker's fly in a gas station bathroom stall before you know it.

you pizza snobs.   Dominos is perfectly fine for cheap fast delivery pizza.  When they redid their formula a couple of years ago they vaulted to the top of the chain heap.    Im not going to turn my nose up at Little sleazers, papa juans, pizza slut or dominohoes if it is put in front of me.   Only idiots go in expecting that these places are going to be better than some local joint.  Then again I can fill my hole for $6 and have it in 10 minutes,  and not $20+ and wait an hour at the local joint.

My "real" computer has a Corsair H100i AIO loop that does it proud.  I also have a H60 AIO on my old "real" computer (the previously mentioned i7-860 rig).  But I was rehabbing an old i3-530 system to maybe sell off cheap, and also because it's just a project, and it has the stock Intel cooler on it with those stupid pins versus a bracket.  I always feel like I'm going to break something pushing the pins through and then never feel like they're holding it up.  This time, two of the legs got messed up so I ordered a cheap replacement with a bracketed back.

I don't think it was working well to begin with because the reason why I took it off was to replace the paste after I noticed it was running at 90C.  Pretty sure it wasn't firmly attached.

I much prefer the back bracket although I usually have it installed while doing the original build and the one time I put one on after the fact, the case had a handy cutout in the panel behind the CPU area for just that reason.  I do own an old 212 of some flavor but don't think it has clearance in the case.

For anyone using a water cooler, I recommend Gentle Typhoon fans for the radiator.  Quiet and good static pressure to push air through the mesh.

you pizza snobs. Dominos is perfectly fine for cheap fast delivery pizza. When they redid their formula a couple of years ago they vaulted to the top of the chain heap.
I actually liked the Old Dominos formula, can't remember how far back they changed it, but 10 years ago I remember I considered it the best of the fast food chain pizzas, not so much anymore.

I actually liked the Old Dominos formula, can't remember how far back they changed it, but 10 years ago I remember I considered it the best of the fast food chain pizzas, not so much anymore.
Did you scald your tongue as a child and lose all sense of taste? I actually never thought Domino's old formula was bad, but I think the new one is considerably better.

There's maybe three tiers of pizza.  Terrible stuff you'll never eat, cheap shit you'll eat and good stuff.  Dominos, Pizza Hut and the other national chains all fall under "cheap shit you'll eat" and pretending that there's any significant difference between them is silly.  You've already committed to a mediocre pizza experience for the sake of cost so just accept it for what it is.

Did you scald your tongue as a child and lose all sense of taste? I actually never thought Domino's old formula was bad, but I think the new one is considerably better.
Their new crust has way to much garlic, and their old sauce tasted better. I'm probably the only one that liked the old formula (or else why would they change it) but they should switch it back anyways.

bread's done
Back