Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
WWE 2K20 info on Yukes, Visual Concepts, the engine/tools, why this game's so broken, and PS4 version refunds:
Polygon - https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/7/20758462/wwe-2k20-yukes-visual-concepts-pc-ps4-xbox-one-pc
RingSideNews.com - https://www.ringsidenews.com/2019/10/23/why-wwe-2k20-was-released-as-a-broken-game/
GameRant - https://gamerant.com/wwe-2k20-refunds-sony-broken/

Notes:
- Yukes has been making wrestling video games for almost 20 years.
- Yukes is going to make their own original wrestling video game.
- Supposedly, it is still using the same tools & the game has been re-tooled since the PS2 era.
- Previous WWE games (since WWE 2K15), Yukes and Visual Concepts have co-developed & worked on it together.
- Visual Concepts had to work on the game fully this time for WWE2K20, without Yukes.
- And the deadline was still there to get the game out by a certain date, so...the broken-game was released anyways!
- Sony is offering up refunds, for those who feels it's too broken on the PS4 version.

No (limited) scary game sale on Steam the weekend before Halloween?

Is Valve really going to wait until Tuesday - just 48 hours before the season - to get in the Halloween mood?  That seems odd.

I mean, that's how they've rolled in the past, but with Halloween falling on a Thursday, I would've thought the games they put on sale for the weekend would surely be scary-themed.

No (limited) scary game sale on Steam the weekend before Halloween?

Is Valve really going to wait until Tuesday - just 48 hours before the season - to get in the Halloween mood? That seems odd.

I mean, that's how they've rolled in the past, but with Halloween falling on a Thursday, I would've thought the games they put on sale for the weekend would surely be scary-themed.
The 28th was the leaked date

Can't you still play FO76 as usual?
Yep. Though, I don't know why anyone would want to.

Don't you just pay the monthly fee if you want a private server?
Yep.

I think the other things are the Scrapbox (unlimited parts storage item) and the Survival Tent (teleport-able stash, sleeping bag, etc.).

What are whiny, entitled gamers complaining about now?
Where to begin?

• The sub-fee is another monetiziation scheme in a game...that really never got off the ground & has a ton of MTX's already.
  • It really sounds like the way this game's going, it really should just go ultra dirt-cheap or (better yet) F2P by now for the base-game....and just maybe charge for brand new content.
  • To do mods, you're likely going to have to use a Private Server.
  • Private servers only hold 8 players (yourself + 7 friends = 8), while the regular servers hold 24 players tops.
  • The servers aren't persistent either, so...if say the owner of the server disconnects, you still need another FO1st-sub player that's on there to keep the server going. Otherwise, it disconnects.
  • Scrapbox and Survival Tent are in the Fallout 1st Subscription only.

It gets worse w/ Fallout 76.

Private Servers & Scrapbox aren't working properly.

YongYea video on this:

https://youtu.be/dFiNh1OU3K4

Notes:

- People are putting stuff in the Scrapbox for storage...are actually being used & consumed into thin air.

- Private servers...aren't so private.

- Anyone on your Friends List can join your so-called Private Server at anytime without Invitations given...

- ...which isn't good for those with huge Friends List.

- Supposedly, you were to give Invites out, to allow someone to join.

- Players have been picking off other "private" servers to grab gear, scrap & do quests/stuff.

- If Private Server owners leaves, non-subscribers to Fallout 1st can stay...and the server stays up.

- Supposedly, if a Private server owner leaves, only Fallout 1st members can stay to keep a server up.

- Private servers aren't on your own hardware, they are on Bethesda's servers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's find out.

1 x 1 = 1
giphy.gif

UbiSoft admits that Ghost Recon: Breakpoint was a disaster:

https://kotaku.com/ubisoft-admits-ghost-recon-breakpoint-has-been-a-disast-1839329787

- UbiSoft's CEO Yves Guillemot says both GR: Breakpoint & The Division 2 under-performed.

- CEO says that there were also a lot of negative critical reviews.

- CEO says that the changes made in Breakpoint were "strongly rejected by a significant portion of the community."

- CEO says that GR: Breakpoint still wasn't different enough to really stand out.

- CEO also sites Breakpoint as the reason the next 5 UbiSoft titles are delayed.

- Watch Dogs: Legions, R6: Quarantine, Gods & Monsters are the 3 delayed UbiSoft titles...

- ...But there are 2 other titles that are unannounced, which also got delayed.

- CEO says they also plan to focus more so on in-game events.

I would buy Fallout 76 in a heartbeat if I could just play with by myself. All I (and I'm sure many others) want is that option: an "offline" mode. If that materializes and isn't totally fuck ed up, I'll still give them my money. This paying for a private server is beyond the beyond of insults to the series' fans. You'll never convince me it's only possible/feasible with some kind of extra fuck ing fee for server side shit.

I would buy Fallout 76 in a heartbeat if I could just play with by myself. All I (and I'm sure many others) want is that option: an "offline" mode. If that materializes and isn't totally fuck ed up, I'll still give them my money.
I'm with you on that one, Eulogy. No matter how bad the game is, I'd just really love an "offline mode."

This goes for a lot of MMO games that allow for the player to do quests, missions, etc in a solo-style. If a MMO-game dies, gets its plug pulled, or any of that mess - I'd love for the content to still be able to be accessed, since I dropped money on it.

This paying for a private server is beyond the beyond of insults to the series' fans. You'll never convince me it's only possible/feasible with some kind of extra fuck ing fee for server side shit.
Amen.

I do think the Survival Tent and Scrapbox should've been in the base-game or free in an update, TBH. But heck, it would've even been fine as a feature in an expansion pack/DLC, not in the monthly/yearly sub-fee.

Let me guess. You call gamers "whiny and entitled" for standing up to companies ripping them off yet you're also the SJW type who demands a game is censored and then banned if there's a sexy female character.
Your name will be in little red letters the next time I come back here.

Xbox for PC Game Pass members, The Outer Worlds has been unlocked.

All booted-up and ready to go.
I did the whole membership conversion thingeemajigger. Bought 2 years of XBL Gold from Costco, converted it to Gamepass Ultimate sub, and now I have Ultimate though 11/2021. all set to go! Can't wait to play the Outer Worlds into the wee morning hours later. Gotta watch the Vikings kick Redskins arse tonight first though.

Around 3h20m into The Outer Worlds (Xbox for PC Game Pass).

So far, so great.

It's basically a combination of Fallout: New Vegas (good writing, narrative, story, characters; and deep RPG stuff like lots of decision-making); Fallout 4 (namely the improved combat & gunplay - but it's better here than that game); and a sci-fi Borderlands type of setting (sci-fi world where corporations just all got too powerful).

If that sounds right up your alley, you're going to really enjoy this game.

So far, so great.

It's basically a combination of Fallout: New Vegas (good writing, narrative, story, characters; and deep RPG stuff like lots of decision-making); Fallout 4 (namely the improved combat & gunplay - but it's better here than that game); and a sci-fi Borderlands type of setting (sci-fi world where corporations just all got too powerful).

How many MTXs it haz!?!?

UbiSoft admits that Ghost Recon: Breakpoint was a disaster:

https://kotaku.com/ubisoft-admits-ghost-recon-breakpoint-has-been-a-disast-1839329787

- UbiSoft's CEO Yves Guillemot says both GR: Breakpoint & The Division 2 under-performed.
Curiously, Ubi previously reported that Division 2 was their most successful title of 2019. As I understand it, it did quite well on PC, underperformed on consoles and is mainly a victim of pie in the sky sales expectations. It reviewed very well and everyone praised it at launch so I think they just had extremely rosy projections for it.

That's as opposed to Breakpoint which everyone hated in beta, savaged the heavy microtransaction scheme and basically came out of the gate with all the speed of a dead bird.

So, with as many games ending up ignored or lambasted for microtransactions, have there really been any lately that have done in a particularly inoffensive way? Or even something that did it in a way that was successful and didn't end with a critical or popular lambasting? 

So, with as many games ending up ignored or lambasted for microtransactions, have there really been any lately that have done in a particularly inoffensive way? Or even something that did it in a way that was successful and didn't end with a critical or popular lambasting?
I mean, it’s not exactly recent, though it’s still active; and I’ve long since given up on Digital Extremes making any kind of sense as they continue to make Warframe worse; but WF has (or at least had, I haven’t heard much about it in the last year) a pretty inoffensive microtransaction strategy—you can get almost anything that you can pay for by just playing the game (cosmetics being the major exception), and surprisingly the things that you really need to bring your builds up to snuff—critical resources like Endo, for instance, which is also infuriatingly difficult to farm in a reasonable period of time—you can’t buy for real money at anything even remotely approaching a reasonable rate of exchange, which puts whales and normal players on a relatively even playing ground.

I guess their microtransaction strategy is reasonably successful, too, considering the game is somehow still going.

AMD Codes for Outer Worlds went out. Can verify after allowing the AMD Program to "Check" your system specs its a plain Epic Games Store key.

Decided to go with that key over Borderlands 3, since I figured it's reviewing extremely well, and it's a "Fallout" style game people actually want  versus 76, and hasnt been on sale yet, so by theory should have a better sell price.

But it is included I game pass for PC, so that might effect resale value.

I played a couple hours it seems alright. I just don't know if I have the energy for a game with that length and pace right now.

But it is included I game pass for PC, so that might effect resale value.
Yeah I did consider that, I'm sure some people may want to own it though, or not be on a sub. And I feel not many people know about the Xbox Game Pass Beta, outside CAG.

I personally would liked BL3 but I wont do it on EGS. I know it will come out in a year or 2 on Steam, where I have the rest of the series. I'm in the GOG 2.0 Beta so that helps manage my Library a bit but Steam>other launchers. Not that I particularly prefer/like Steam, It just holds the Bulk of my Collection.

So far, so great.

Is legit. Confirmed.

Okay, I've only played it for about an hour so far, but here's my mini-MysterD take: The game is set on an Earth colony world far from Sol where you play a hapless colonist who was abandoned by the corporation that owns the colony and your colony ship after an unexplained accident. The character creation is complex and statty; there are skills, perks, and backgrounds and the standard face-changing stuff. Your character is another silent protagonist, for good or ill. The writing is good and the tone is highly satirical. The NPCs are fun, including a ship's computer who can only respond to one name and thus forces you to refer to yourself by that name. The game has a definite Fallout feel.

Curiously, Ubi previously reported that Division 2 was their most successful title of 2019. As I understand it, it did quite well on PC, underperformed on consoles and is mainly a victim of pie in the sky sales expectations. It reviewed very well and everyone praised it at launch so I think they just had extremely rosy projections for it.
All I can think of is that Div 2 didn't have the microtransactions cash they where expecting... but there's no way its anything other than expectations being absurdly high. (Reminds me of Square Enix and Tomb Raider a few years ago where 3 million sales was a failure.)

Destiny 2 has a good MTX system. You can earn most of it through weekly gameplay. It also makes acquiring the random weapon ornaments (textured, ornamented skins + recolor) feel good. Otherwise you can just save your bright dust and buy a ccouple of things you really want from the vendor. The weekly vendor reset is interesting as well. It cycles through a couple different ornaments, shaders, emotes, and ship skins each week. There's a very wide assortment of cool stuff but you never feel like you're missing out on anything.

You can not spend money and the system still feels fun. It leads to player-characters having uniqueness. I'd call that a success.

I'll add the I can't imagine the year 1 pass sold anywhere near what their other passes did given it was just an early access pass essentially.
Funny thing. I grinded my ass off for the final week and half of the Exporders cache event. I only made it to 26/30. So I made my first MTX purchase of $4.99 to finish out the set.

You guys with second characters and the four keys from year 1 pass had it figured out. It was my fault for missing the first weekly. But honestly without those extra 2-3 weeklies and the free year 1 pass keys, acquiring the complete set was brutal. It was totally my fault. But I can't justify buying the $40 year 1 pass at this point in time either.

So far, so great.

I played two hours of The Outer Worlds last night. It looks pretty good. Probably a solid '8 score' game, but I need to dig a bit deeper. Yeah, it's very Fallout: New Vegas. Heard that combat was pretty easy so I'm going with a mostly hacking and persuade build.

It's definitely better than the sum of it's parts; exactly the type of game we've been looking forward to for a lonnng time. New single-player Bethesda-likes?? It has very Fallout presentation and decisions-matter meets Borderlands with a hybrid mix of their art styles and writing. The tone is very much a mix of Bioshock and Borderlands in an absurdist, dystopian future space western with planetary travel.

It doesn't really matter what a dev does, nowadays there's certain trigger points and the whiny entitled gamers will rage no matter what. It's vocal crying minority, but they make enough noise so it makes the news.

Killing Floor 2 has been adding maps and weapons for free for years with cosmetics as the microtransactions. But even then they randomly drop something every so many matches so you can get free cosmetics and they instituted a free system to get more cosmetics. This is a $30 game. So years later they decide to add some weapons that are paid only to help offset development costs. None of these weapons are OP or necessary to play the game, just different weapons you can choose to pay for if you want, and boom here comes the rage.

So, even if done "right" some people will be entitled to everything because they don't have anything better going on in their lives other than to rage about games.

I have no idea what point you're trying to make, I'm thinking there's at least a 60% chance that I'd disagree with it if I did, but I LOVE this gif!

EDIT: TrumpCat, is this who did your research for you before that call with Erdogan?

I have no idea what point you're trying to make, I'm thinking there's at least a 60% chance that I'd disagree with it if I did, but I LOVE this gif!
well I guess that makes you the king of backhanded compliments. :D

no point. Just a cat .gif that I could hardly contain any longer. Need to get the icon off my desktop and file it away.

well I guess that makes you the king of backhanded compliments. :D
Cool! Up to this point, I was just the King of Pain and the King of Wishful Thinking. At last, a new crown for my collection!!

no point. Just a cat .gif that I could hardly contain any longer. Need to get the icon off my desktop and file it away.
Glad you didn't keep it to yourself then.

It doesn't really matter what a dev does, nowadays there's certain trigger points and the whiny entitled gamers will rage no matter what. It's vocal crying minority, but they make enough noise so it makes the news.
We live in a world where WB had to abandon a charity DLC for a dead man's family because gamers convinced themselves that it must be a trap.

We live in a world where WB had to abandon a charity DLC for a dead man's family because gamers convinced themselves that it must be a trap.
Feels like it's time for one of my favorite quotes. . . are we living in a land where sex and horror are the new gods?

It could just be me, but I for one, welcome our new EA overlords! Seriously, though, I think people get way too bent out of shape about things like this (and that Mordor example is particularly bad). It's okay to disagree with a company's policies and still use its products. I mean, boycott a publisher if it really makes you feel better or rest easier at night. But I don't think I know anyone who has so few problems in his life that this is the thing that's going to push him over the edge.

Also . . .

3edfhq.jpg

That's as opposed to Breakpoint which everyone hated in beta, savaged the heavy microtransaction scheme and basically came out of the gate with all the speed of a dead bird.
All I can think of is that Div 2 didn't have the microtransactions cash they where expecting... but there's no way its anything other than expectations being absurdly high. (Reminds me of Square Enix and Tomb Raider a few years ago where 3 million sales was a failure.)
I wonder if that has to do with how sales are reported through Epic. As far as I understand it it seems like Epic offers an advance on sales so that titles are guaranteed to move X amount of copies, essentially Epic buys a bunch of keys. Then all these games report amazing initial sales, but if a portion of them aren't going to actual end users then tactics such as microtransactions don't show the numbers they are forecasting over time. And while the initial surge in sales is great on Epic I'm curious about sales longevity. Have to balance if the upfront benefit is worth the shorter tail until the game eventually makes its way to other platforms.

Edit: Paul Rudd is and forever will be a stud.

What does Ubi expect, sales-wise TBH?

This isn't even getting into how much gamers don't really want to support Epic, as I'm sure in many ways...that does not help them, excluding the Steam fan-base and all.

They (Ubi) keep putting out open-world looter-ARPG/action/adventure/shooter hybrid genre-bender game, one after another...after another...after another...you get the point. We can only take so many of these one after another, if they ain't gonna be really that much different from each other.

And a lot of this is from a design point, as many of these Ubi games in different franchises - FC, AC, GR, Watch Dogs - are very similar.

GR has gotten the worst of the genre-bending and hybriding, as it gets the MOST of the hodge-podging with the weakest of execution, since Wildlands. While Wildlands was at least good despite its issues (and it really shouldn't be called a GR game, TBH - it should be its own thing), same can't be said for Breakpoint (another GR game that don't deserve that brand title - it deserves its own thing).

Throwing MMO/online-only onto everything of late - i.e. Division series and then Breakpoint....yeah, it gets tiresome. MTX City on top was the beginning of the end for gamers though.

Somehow, R6: Siege is the unique one of the Ubi club right now - as it's basically just a tactical competitive MP game.

I wonder if that has to do with how sales are reported through Epic. As far as I understand it it seems like Epic offers an advance on sales so that titles are guaranteed to move X amount of copies, essentially Epic buys a bunch of keys. Then all these games report amazing initial sales, but if a portion of them aren't going to actual end users then tactics such as microtransactions don't show the numbers they are forecasting over time.
That's my understanding of how Epic does the payout too... The whole "Look, everyone is supporting us, we're amazing! Why don't you support us too?"

Anyhow, I don't really think the MTX "issues" has anything to with Epic... Its more of a everything is pretty fair and they're apparel events are poorly designed to promote key buying. (I've never had to even consider buying a key.)

And they're normal apparel items people have either spent their money already or are simply waiting for the item to come via free key.

Myself, when the game came out there was a few pieces I thought were key to how I wanted my character to look so I bypassed RNG and just got them... Some of those items I've gotten multiple times in caches now. Now I don't feel stupid for having bought them, I had them at hour 1 instead at hour 250, but there's no way I'm buying items at this point.

And, as others have said any change to how this system works is met with anger. They recently changed it so you didn't have to craft keys and you got fragments at every proficiency cache... The payout is still basically the same, but could be better or worse, BUT they also pulled numerous event items from the loot pool giving you a far better chance of getting new stuff.

I went from never getting anything new, like maybe once a week or more likely bi weekly, to get new stuff quite frequently...

Anyhow, people on reddit seem to think the new system sucks and Ubisoft/Massive is the devil for changing it.

Here's my take on The Outer Worlds after roughly 6 hours:

I like it, but I don't love it. And the art style annoys me, though infrequently. That's all I got right now.

New Call of Duty, after 4/5 through the story:

Best Dooty campaign since MW1/2. Pretty sounds and pixels. Brutal bang bang pow. And you can quote me.

bread's done
Back