Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Final Fantasy 14 consumed my life for a month and a half this past summer. Couldn't say no to Shadowbringers for $15.
Shadowbringers was pretty good. A much better story than Stormblood and the ability to choose between a player party or NPCs for dungeons was nice, particularly if you’re farming for gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
(Warning: statement is in fact false and nobody should buy unless they want to give 30 bucks to charity)
Or, and hear me out here, or you could just give $30 directly to the charity of your choice instead of letting IGN and/or some stupid streamers claim your $30 as part of their tax returns.

Why not PM the one person you want to have your username rather than share it publicly and get mad at friend requests? Honestly, you don't sound like a very cool friend to have.

Also seems like a good way to for sure get your profile name added to a ton of spam lists.
Because...reasons?

Actually, that's how I got lots of the friends on my list. We used to just throw our profiles out there so regulars could connect. It feels a lot less creepy that going "pssst, you don't know me...wanna be my friend?"

And fuck you, I'm an awesome fuck ing friend!

No way I will be anywhere close to finishing Death Stranding during my one week borrow from the library.  Unfortunately, still popular and I can't renew.  Oh well, back to the end of the line for another borrow.

This feels like this could be the spiritual successor & evolution to Freelancer that I've actually been waiting for. Only time will tell, if this space-sim (RGO) can fully live up to that space-sim's greatness (Freelancer).
The fact that you hold things up to FREELANCER and not PRIVATEER tells me your Space Sim background.. but you really feel that way with a reported 8 possible ships? That's like.. zero choice. Hell, No Man's Sky had that many....

I think the worst part about all the Steam achievement stuff is how they're forcing me to try to find friends who are online to chat with.  I mean, I'm casually friends with some of ya'll but like you I'm "away" most of the time.  I never broadcast what I'm playing.  This is silliness.

The fact that you hold things up to FREELANCER and not PRIVATEER tells me your Space Sim background.. but you really feel that way with a reported 8 possible ships? That's like.. zero choice. Hell, No Man's Sky had that many....
Freelancer was one of my first space-sims. I played Starlancer first, but I preferred Freelancer. Yes, that game was what got me into the genre - and will always hold a special place for me.

To me, that was Morrowind in space.

From there, I've played EgoSoft's X games since X3 Reunion and newer. Haven't got X4 yet though.

Keep in mind, I've been a PC Gamer since 1995, not before. While I should get caught up w/ older games like Wing Commander series and Privateer series - well, I just haven't.

Keep in mind, I've been a PC Gamer since 1995, not before. While I should get caught up w/ older games like Wing Commander series and Privateer series - well, I just haven't.
You didn't respond to the lack of content in the game. That's been something holding me back.

It's next to impossible to go backwards. Some of those games didn't age well, particularly when games like Freelancer came behind them.

You didn't respond to the lack of content in the game. That's been something holding me back.

It's next to impossible to go backwards. Some of those games didn't age well, particularly when games like Freelancer came behind them.
There is supposed to be DLC coming:
https://rebel-galaxy.com/rebel-galaxy-outlaw-development-roadmap-september-2019/

Notes:
- There will be a free update w/ more ships coming
- Plans for DLC's with more content at some point
- ModKits are also planned sometime after console versions arrive

Shadowbringers was pretty good. A much better story than Stormblood and the ability to choose between a player party or NPCs for dungeons was nice, particularly if you’re farming for gear.
Oh wow, that sounds pretty cool. Admittedly, I still have quite a way to go before I get to Shadowbringers content. Still trudging through the base game's story, but I think I'm nearing the end.

Oh wow, that sounds pretty cool. Admittedly, I still have quite a way to go before I get to Shadowbringers content. Still trudging through the base game's story, but I think I'm nearing the end.
They are reworking the base game stuff in the near future to make it less of an ordeal to get through. It has too many quests that exist just to take up your time, especially the end right before you get to the first expansion. A fair number of people quit before reaching Heavensward, which is a shame because the game is far more enjoyable once you get into that stuff.

From a central time zone McDowell's - Merry New Year!

YoD8dTF.png

I think the worst part about all the Steam achievement stuff is how they're forcing me to try to find friends who are online to chat with. I mean, I'm casually friends with some of ya'll but like you I'm "away" most of the time. I never broadcast what I'm playing. This is silliness.
This is why you have a farming alt. Then you can do what I did and chat with them and view their stream (on old laptop), etc, etc.

EDIT:

I'm more annoyed at the stuff that require the new library interface, cause I blocked update because it sucked so bad.

Speaking of humble. They keep emailing me warning this month is almost past and I should indeed not stay paused.

I do have humble choice so I get it all.

Ignoring Tomb Raider is this bundle actually worth the cost and is there any games that are suprisingly good? I don't own any of them except TR
I was going to pause for a month, but I bought it for Horizon Chase Turbo. Reminded me of Outrun, and it's been one of my most played games ever since. I know there were some people in the trading thread who wanted to buy or trade for some of the other titles though.

Tim Swine gave 3 free games for New year's.
Thanks but you're still gonna need to try harder to get me to buy a game from EGS.
But keep it up Swine, free games are free after all.

Put a few hours into Impossible Lair so far and my goodness, there is nothing in this God forsaken world that's as pure as a David Wise/Grant Kirkhope soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX860UFBXCI

What % of people played even a single free game from EGS?
Heh, I was just looking at my playtime on the Epic app since I was curious how much time I actually put into the free games:

Subnautica 2 hours

Rayman Legends 45m

Everything 35m

Enter the Gungeon 50m

City of Brass 30m

I do plan on putting some time into Yooka Laylee in the next couple days and I would like to try Axiom Verge some day, but it's never been able to motivate me to move it up in my backlog.

Of course there's also games that I now have access to in multiple places. Steam is obviously the default preferred place to play something, but if I have it on Twitch and Epic, which version should I play? If I have it on Epic and Xbox Game Pass, do I play it on Epic since I own that version or do I play it on XGP and get achievements?

Anyone want to team up and finish some of these silly holiday quests?

I still need:

• Invite a friend to play a game
  • Watch a friend's broadcast via chat 

EDIT - All done, still happy to help if anyone needs a hand.

I was getting a lot of server load error messages during the watch a friend's broadcast quest. This may help if you are getting those: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/30/1747892655526258006/

• Invite a friend to play a game
A heads up to anyone that didn't do this one yet.

It's seems to be kinda glitched for some games.

People had the most luck by using a game that supports "Remote Play Together" and inviting someone to "Remote Play Together" instead of just "Invite to Lobby" in any random multiplayer game.

When I did it, I didn't have to actually accept the invite.

This is why you have a farming alt. Then you can do what I did and chat with them and view their stream (on old laptop), etc, etc.
Oh, so like I used to do back in the day with Pokemon, a GBO and a GBC, and a link cable.

I haven’t even made an account. Selling my information to the Chinese gub’mint aside, I really don’t need yet another games client to juggle on my computer just for the sake of a bunch of free games I either have zero interest in or already own, nor even for the highly occasional halfway decent sale. #fakeassgamer

I haven’t even made an account. Selling my information to the Chinese gub’mint aside, I really don’t need yet another games client to juggle on my computer just for the sake of a bunch of free games I either have zero interest in or already own, nor even for the highly occasional halfway decent sale.

Played a little of Yooka2 and a little turned off by the atmosphere of the game, but I'll probably play some more. Also, the keybindings are insane and don't allow you to rebind. Did they choose those bindings to force you to use a controller? I'm not totally against using a controller, but in general I prefer using my keyboard. Guess this will have to be a controller only game for me.

Good news... it's a brilliant team tactics game. The levels are huge and varied and it's just a remarkably well done game. If you even sort of like the genre, you should try it.

PSA: do not let this game sit unplayed on your Tim Sweeney's EGS account.
Its sat mostly unplayed on Steam, GoG and Humble DRM free so far. Why should Sweener's Epix gamez store be any different?

I played a bit of MW5 on Epic.  But other than that... though I did bite on Rebel Galaxy Outlaw today... we'll see as I don't have high hopes.

Still have to audio, invite, and watch a broadcast.  Shame.  Really irksome items.

I don't have an Epic account yet since anything they've given away has either been old stuff I already own or stuff I don't care about and wouldn't play anyway (or both!).  Had their $10 voucher worked on DLC, I might have given in but it didn't so I didn't.  Nothing that was going to go down to the $5-6 range with it interested me.  Was half-interested in TABS except that's on Game Pass anyway and... was good for 7 minutes of idle amusement before throwing crudely rendered Hoplites against crudely rendered Pirate Musketeers lost its novelty and I uninstalled.

My sole purchase from Steam was the Witcher Expansion Pass so I can join those inspired to touch their inner-Cavill by the series.  Which I thought was good; a good mix of serious stuff to keep you invested and pulpy stuff to have fun with it.  I once started W3 and got to the first big city where the back and forth fetch missions requiring me to crisscross their terrible medieval urban planning umpteen times finally bored me and I quit.  We'll see if my attention span holds this time.

So I fought the crowds at the mall for 50% off clearance prices at Dillards.  Got six Polo shirts at $30 each and a suit for $395.  Still too cheap to ignore the ~10-20% or so I'm being short-changed due to crappy Steam sale prices and/or risk of bundle fodder.  The amount is irrelevant, it's all about relative pricing, bros!

I played a bit of MW5 on Epic. But other than that... though I did bite on Rebel Galaxy Outlaw today... we'll see as I don't have high hopes.
Would love to hear your impressions on MW5, if you decide to share them. I'm really looking forward to grabbing that, when it gets cheaper. I really enjoyed the hell out of MW2: Mercs, back in my earliest PC Gaming Win 95 days.

Since you've bit the bullet on RG:O despite having your concerns of it, I hope you do wind up surprised & enjoy it...like I have so far.

Would love to hear your impressions on MW5, if you decide to share them. I'm really looking forward to grabbing that, when it gets cheaper. I really enjoyed the hell out of MW2: Mercs, back in my earliest PC Gaming Win 95 days.

Since you've bit the bullet on RG:O despite having your concerns of it, I hope you do wind up surprised & enjoy it...like I have so far.
MW5 is ok at best. They made some decisions where you run around your ship which was supposed to make it feel inclusive, but instead it feels bloated. I like the concept of actually shooting off parts of mechs but it doesn't always work. Hitboxes don't seem quite right. I personally walked away while I watch the patch notes. I miss Mercs.... I wish they'd just have kept a menu system similar to that.

Heh, I was just looking at my playtime on the Epic app since I was curious how much time I actually put into the free games:

Subnautica 2 hours

Rayman Legends 45m

Everything 35m

Enter the Gungeon 50m

City of Brass 30m
you should go back to rayman legends, that game is incredibly good imo

So, I tried out...Outward (Epic Game Store version).

Here's some thoughts on this RPG/survival-game hybrid.

Outward is basically a Frankenstein monster of these titles and game styles: Gothic series, Dark Souls series, and survival games.

Starting From Scratch.

Outward is notoriously difficult. You start the game, as a scrub/ordinary guy...who wakes up on a shore after a shipwreck. You try to survive after this mess, eventually wake up, and then have 5 days to pay off a debt (of 150 coins). If you don't do so, you could lose the lighthouse/house/place to store my stuff and sleep. And given that this game is also a survival game - yeah, you might not want to lose the lighthouse.

But chances are...well, at least on your first play-through - yeah, you probably will...lose the lighthouse. Hell, I know I did. The game doesn't by any means teach you much, hold your hand, or anything of that sort in-game. (Side note: There is a separate tutorial, but I didn't take it on). You will learn...by playing & getting knocked-out (i.e. the way game deals with "death", before you "resurrect" somewhere).

Knocked-Out.

And when you get knocked-out - you lose sleep, time, and then wind-up awakening...somewhere. Could depend on who (or what) knocks you out, robs you, attacks you, finds you, what locations you're near, random, and/or whatever. You could wind-up back at an Inn; you could wind-up as a prisoner in a prison and need to escape; you could be saved by someone in the wilderness at a camp or campfire. You might have your belongings. You might not. Who knows, though...as you can shrug your shoulders.

Combat & Questing.

Combat's fine, control-wise. It's similar to Gothic games, Risen series & ELEX in how it actually handles - locking onto enemies, attacking them, that you don't waste attacks b/c you can tire yourself out, and/or things of that sort. While it does feel looser than Piranha Bytes' games and not as good as Dark Souls' games - it's still solid. Combat really matters here, though - as it can lead to you being knocked-out...for a bit.

If this all isn't enough, you have to deal w/ taking quests on. You can take on quests & make decisions - you know, the typical RPG stuff. But what makes this interesting is the extra survival elements and difficulty of the game. Adventuring into the game-world and the wilds of this world - where there are bandits, robbers, monsters, and anything else you can think of - isn't for the faint. There are plenty of things to do and a good amount of places to see - caves, dungeons, towns/cities, hubs, etc. But, you not only have deal w/ the world, but the also the survival aspects of the game.

Survival Of The Fittest.

You will have to get food, cook it, not let any bags you carry get damaged (or its contents of what you put in there get damaged), get water, drink water, sleep, rest - or do anything necessary to survive. Your weight (for what you wear & carry) actually matters, as...well, you could move, attack and/or even roll slower, if you more in your Inventory. Have less in your Inventory...and you'll be faster when moving around. You do not want to run all the time, or you'll tire yourself out. You will need to eat...or you could get a penalty and lose health. You can get sick, if you don't cook food...or do that even right.

You get one save-slot per a character play-through. The game will auto-save will over-write its own save-slot, after something happens to your character. You are going to have to live with your decisions, wins, failures, progress, and/or whatever...whether you like it or not.

Performance & Graphics.

Just like the game being brutal, so is performance...which certainly isn't ideal. On my SC15 laptop (i7 7700HQ; 16 GB RAM; 6GB GTX 1060), at 1080p with High settings and a FPS cap of 50 (to keep it to stop from bouncing around framerates) - it just isn't the best looking game. While there's lots of details, items, and textures - this still looks like a game from the Gothic 2 era of games...but with much better lighting technology that can be used. If that isn't enough, it's eating VRAM for breakfast (easily over 3.5 GB of VRAM) at Medium or higher settings. On my desktop (i7 950; 16 GB RAM; GTX 970), I had to cap it to 40fps at 1080p with Medium settings just to keep its framerate actually a bit more stable.

Outro.

If this sounds like the deck of cards is stacked way against you in this game called Outward...well, you're right. If you want a really difficult & challenging RPG/survival hybrid of a game - well, then there's plenty of reason to pick this very difficult title. If you thought Dark Souls was brutal - well, if this opening hour is any indication and it stays as difficult & as brutal as this from start-to-finish, the very brutal Dark Souls might be tame next to this game (Outward).

Given what I've said about Outward: this game might not be for everyone.

But, even still as terrible as I am at games like Dark Souls and Outward...there's just something about this brutally difficult game. This all makes me want to play Outward...MORE.

Well...at least for now, anyways.
Thanks for the review. Outward was the only other game besides Satisfactory that I bought on Epic. I figured for $6 it was worth the risk.

Here's my Steam sale haul.   I wasn't going to buy anything but eh

Endless Space 2 standard edition - $9.99

3DMark - $4.49

Neoverse - $7.19

total: $21.67

the sale ends pretty soon here, I believe in 1hour at noon CST but could be 7min.  I just checked out;  I'm sure there's some other people here like that heh.

EDIT: oh and I bought this for $24.99 before discounts at Target in Dec. 

Sekiro-PC.jpg

STEAM HAUL POST!

SPOILERED cause it so long

Bought for me:

nothing

Got as gifts:

Niffelheim

Transistor

Bought as gifts:

A Plague's Tale

Borderlands 3 (from AMD Rewards tho)

Warreni "drops":

Dawn of War II

Paratopic

Bleed 2

They Bleed Pixels

This is the first sale period in 10 years where I didn't buy a single thing.

I wanted to tell you all this because I knew you'd all be fascinated by this piece of information.

Also spent zero.  Turns out, steam store rolled out sales tax to my state months ago - I just now found out due to rarely/never buying anything anymore. 

Been basically just playing pc game pass and console-exclusive stuff. 

Finally "finished" slay the spire.  What a game.  Looking forward to the 4th character update.

[attachment=33477:silent.jpg]

My haul so far:
Steam
nothing 1300 festivity tokens

Epic
daily freebies

warreni giveaway bonanza
The Journey Down 3
The Invisible Hours
Moonlighter

warreni wins!