Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Mass Effect: Legendary Edition.

PC Gamer - "Mixed" reviews yesterday on ME: LE on Steam from users & PCG dig into why:
https://www.pcgamer.com/heres-why-mass-effect-legendary-edition-has-mixed-steam-reviews/

Info / notes:
- There's reasons it was sitting at "Mixed" for reviews, even though it's now sitting at "Mostly Positive."
- Here comes the reasons it was sitting at "Mixed" for a bit, from users...
- "The Steam version launches Origin in the background, which is annoying, and may require troubleshooting."
- "The mouse control in Mass Effect 1 feels wonky, as if mouse acceleration is on."
- "The ultrawide support doesn't include cut-scenes, which are 16:9 with black bars."
- "There's no FOV slider."
- "There aren't many graphics options, and it doesn't look as good as I expected."
- "The performance isn't as good as I expected." ... namely, for those with not-that-recent cards.
- "I can't run it at all."
- "You can't set the audio and subtitles to different languages."
- (False) "There's no controller support."
- Some are having issues w/ controller: game camera keeps spinning, Xbox One Controller not recognized...
- ...And/or mouse cursor is invisible, but the player can see the Xbox Controller prompts.

Mass Effect: Legendary Edition.

PC Gamer - "Mixed" reviews yesterday on ME: LE on Steam from users & PCG dig into why:
https://www.pcgamer.com/heres-why-mass-effect-legendary-edition-has-mixed-steam-reviews/

Info / notes:
- "The ultrawide support doesn't include cut-scenes, which are 16:9 with black bars."
- "There's no FOV slider."
These are my two gripes as well, but neither are deal breakers. The cut-scene stuff I doubt can/will be remedied anytime soon. Though, I hope FOV support can be added in sooner rather than later, maybe by modders. I bought the game on Origin, so one less hassle? Yay?

Last edited by a moderator:
These are my two gripes as well, but neither are deal breakers. The cut-scene stuff I doubt can/will be remedied anytime soon. Though, I hope FOV support can be added in sooner rather than later, maybe by modders. I bought the game on Origin, so one less hassle? Yay?
What are your thoughts on the new combat in the first one?

What are your thoughts on the new combat in the first one?
I haven't had much time with it, but it feels...better? I mean, it's still clunky which I attribute a lot to the animations. The fact that the dice roll and reticle bloom are gone makes the gunplay feel like a large step up from the original. And the individual control of each squadmate is something that should have been in there in the first place. But, you won't mistake combat for 2 or 3. It's still slower paced and more "tactical". People say the global cooldown was a bad thing in 2 and 3, but I think they forget how long the individual cooldowns were in ME especially before you upgrade any of your skills.

If you didn't like the combat in ME before, this likely won't change your opinion. But, with ME:LE I feel like the combat is refined just enough for it to get out of its own way. I remember hating the initial husk encounters on Eden Prime as simple as they are and it was largely well managed this time around. (I play on insanity for reference.)

I haven't had much time with it, but it feels...better? I mean, it's still clunky which I attribute a lot to the animations. The fact that the dice roll and reticle bloom are gone makes the gunplay feel like a large step up from the original. And the individual control of each squadmate is something that should have been in there in the first place. But, you won't mistake combat for 2 or 3. It's still slower paced and more "tactical". People say the global cooldown was a bad thing in 2 and 3, but I think they forget how long the individual cooldowns were in ME especially before you upgrade any of your skills.

If you didn't like the combat in ME before, this likely won't change your opinion. But, with ME:LE I feel like the combat is refined just enough for it to get out of its own way. I remember hating the initial husk encounters on Eden Prime as simple as they are and it was largely well managed this time around. (I play on insanity for reference.)
I preferred the combat in ME 1 to ME 2 and 3 by far. It seemed like they were trying to clone Gears of War's game play in the sequels. I'd love to see ME 2 and 3 remakes with the combat from ME 1. That would be a great remastered trilogy.

@Neuro

When you do get far and if you went w/ these directions & options: I would like to hear your thoughts on the new Legendary Leveling and how the Mako controls in the new Legendary Mode.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/deckbuild-battle?hmb_source=&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_1_layout_index_2_layout_type_threes_tile_index_2_c_deckbuildbattle_bundle

For anyone who isn't a humble bundle subscriber or didn't already know, I would recommend the above bundle. 

I have had Fantasy General 2 on my wishlist for awhile and this bundle lets you get it for $12 along with a bunch of other good games.

I prefer the PC for strategy games and this was a nice mix of games for me for the price.

I actually enjoyed the combat in the original... My only real complaint was the frame drops (Played on a 360) which I got to imagine it would have been fixed or the LE wouldn't have came out. (I would be curious to see the section you have to escape thats being overrun with rachni... That used to drop frames like crazy.)

I didn't dislike the combat of the original, but I played 2 before I played 1 (had a PS3 before I had an Xbox or decent enough PC), so I had grown accustomed to a different combat system.  And killing the Rachni was kind of a crazy section, but I don't remember really having any noticeable frame drops in the og version, though I played it on PC and mainly always cheezed it by staying back in the room and used my squad for meat shields. 

I actually enjoyed the combat in the original...  My only real complaint was the frame drops (Played on a 360) which I got to imagine it would have been fixed or the LE wouldn't have came out.  (I would be curious to see the section you have to escape thats being overrun with rachni...  That used to drop frames like crazy.)

Definitely going to try out that FOV fix. Now I just need to ignore life for a few days/weeks so that I can have uninterrupted time in my happy place.

Edit: I'm pleased to say the with the mod, the FOV is much improved. I tested with 90, but may go to 100 (I'm playing at 21:9). Also, the Mako handles better...but like going from a 1990 Geo Metro with blown struts to a 2000 Corolla hauling all your buddies to Taco Bell. I've still managed to barrel roll the thing trying to go straight.  And the leveling experience feels more exciting. I never liked the 30 level cap, it made gameplay feel somewhat stale for extended periods of time. The LE leveling (you can go back to Classic, if you want) allows quicker access to upgrades that directly affect gameplay. All but maybe a guns only soldier should benefit from the increased leveling experience.

Spent a couple evenings playing ME1 Legendary.  Got through Therum.

I think I had only played ME1 fully through twice - once on console, once on pc.  I, once again, find myself really appreciating the soundtrack and all the attention given to careful universe-building.  These likely remain my favorite western-developed games.

Gameplay in combat does not feel as improved as I'd hoped.  Sniper rifles have improved, yes.  But it also now makes it the only reasonable option to use in multiple instances, even if it doesn't fit my character.  As a biotic, powers that should be my basic combat tools have extremely short range and are often useless.  This makes me sad as adept is the class I find most fun in 2 & 3.  Also, I had assumed that they were fixing the ME1 painful inventory management.  I'm not sure why they didn't, as it seems to me as it would be fairly easy to update menu screens apart from the rest of the game. For ME1 so far it comes down to a Wrex line: "Better than I feared, worse than I hoped."

In case anyone hasn't seen this, there's a "limited-time" download through EA of some re-released artwork:
https://www.ea.com/games/mass-effect/mass-effect-legendary-edition/mass-effect-bonus-content-download

Samurai Shodown on Steam a year after Epic, and 2 years after console and Stadia even

https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/1394110420894507008

Days Gone PC:

Digital Foundry on the (impressive) Technical Port to PC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5fz9_w3bGo

ACG's Review on Days Gone PC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgkhYH2P4k

I'm not really a CAG anymore so I went ahead and splurged on Days Gone and the Mass Effect remaster. I can confirm that the characters in Days Gone are just as annoying on PC as they were on console, but it does look lovely and runs great. I was impressed with how well the game ran on PS5 but the PC version is very much the way to go. I haven't played ME yet but I'll probably be back later to make an annoying post about it.

I haven't played ME yet but I'll probably be back later to make an annoying post about it.
abb915094acd4010d0492dc9ff3c32bc.gif

I'm pretty sure the nba 2k games fairly quickly bottom out to under $3 and/or free and at that point start forcing ingame advertising.

This is one of those that's not worth cluttering up the library for a client i don't have installed.

Finished up ME1:LE last night. Overall, I approve of the remaster. The gunplay, in particular the aiming and the removal of weapon restrictions, made the game feel closer to modern shooters and more enjoyable due to more weapon variety. My adept ended up using a shotgun with explosive ammo which was absolutely ridiculous when combined with skills that ragdoll the enemy. While the Mako controls were better and it did feel more 'weighty', it wasn't enough. The thing is still super floaty and having the forward movement direction tied to the turret position, while great just traveling along, makes firing the turret off axis very difficult. 

I had stopped playing og ME a couple years ago because it became such a slog. In fact on my last playthough I had dropped the difficulty down to normal just so the gameplay of insanity wouldn't get in the way of the story experience. In my opinion, they did a very reasonable job on the remaster. So much so that I'm looking forward to another playthough. It looks about as good as a fourteen year old game can possibly look without being ported to a new engine. And aside from some clunky animations, feels just as good. I wish the Mako was better given the amount of planet traversing, but if that is my only major complaint, that's not too bad.

My adept ended up using a shotgun with explosive ammo which was absolutely ridiculous when combined with skills that ragdoll the enemy.
See i feel like this shouldn't be an option if classes mean anything. I wish they would have made pistols more usable instead of making them worse and just making any weapon available. Felt wrong pulling out a sniper rifle as an adept. To run & shotgun i'd expect to, at the very least, need to be vanguard or soldier.

Epic Game Store:

Free Section:

Free Games Page:

This Week's Freebie:

Next Week's Freebie:

• Mystery Game??

For paying gamers:

• Epic Mega Sale is now in effect.
  • $10 off coupons for games $14.99 or more is back in effect.
  • Unlimited "Use a coupon, get another coupon" is also in effect.

Some prices after coupon:

• Ghostrunner = $5
  • Crysis Remastered = $5
  • Hades = $10
  • Death Stranding = $14
  • Tony Hawk 1+2 Remaster = $16

See i feel like this shouldn't be an option if classes mean anything. I wish they would have made pistols more usable instead of making them worse and just making any weapon available. Felt wrong pulling out a sniper rifle as an adept. To run & shotgun i'd expect to, at the very least, need to be vanguard or soldier.
You could do it in second play throughs if you unlocked the right achievements... At least on Xbox.

(So I don't really think the change is that big of a deal for a remaster.)

You could do it in second play throughs if you unlocked the right achievements...
This is correct. And while initially I felt the same as gospelman, meaning the adherence to class and the perceived lore behind it, the freedom to choose won out. The player is free to choose to maintain their class alignment still, they just have to use more mental discipline to refrain from using other weapons. The weight system in ME3 made this decision a bit easier to mentally justify. I tried early in my playthrough to main the pistol, but the vanguard style of play won in the end. "Why didn't you just play Vanguard?" Because the Vanguard has skills I seldom use and I love my Adepts. I feel this freedom is akin to creating subtleties in classes like battlemage or spellsword.

And I'm the person that refuses to use bonus tech abilities on biotic classes and vice versa.

Yeah at the end of the day just do whatever's fun. I don't view the combat gameplay in ME1 to be worth taking seriously, original or Legendary. But other parts of the game are truly great. Waiting for the gamepass versions before digging in deeply.

Different angle: The changes to Tali feel weird. She was never my favorite (outside of her ME3 scenes with Garrus) but i feel original Tali was better.

bread's done
Back