Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
I'm just worried about SkyUI breaking everything
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1516870-discussion-for-workshop-paid-mods-thread-9/page-2#entry23945217

Regarding SkyUI, since there's basically only a semi-joke statement floating around (scnr), and one more or less rushed Nexus comment, I figured I might take the time to write down some more things.

SkyUI has been one of those mod projects that took a huge amount of time. It was OK to work on it while I was still a student, but now I can no longer sink that much time into something that is not actually a job. And that is sort of how things normally go as you grow older.

What I can offer at this point is to work on a new version and get paid for it, just like I would do for other kind of software. It wasn't possible before, now it is. If it turns out that it's not something people are willing to pay for, either because they just hate the idea in general, or because they think it's not actually worth any money, then I've wasted my time and that's that, but that's the normal risk. The alternative is to just wait for the next volunteer who has the technical background, the interest, lots of time, and is willing and able to do it for free. For Skyrim, that person was me, and that's the reason why you do not have to play with the default UI on the PC unless you want to.

When going for a new SkyUI version, it was immediately obvious that there were some things I can't and won't do:

#1 I cannot take away the old version, because it's something people already got for free, they are used to it, and they would want to rip my head off if I tried to take it away. Fair enough.
#2 I cannot gimp the old version for reasons of #1.
#3 I cannot make any MCM feature or stuff other mods depend on exclusive to the paid version. The reason is that no mod author would want to depend on features that are not freely available.

Attempting any of the above would have been moronic. What I didn't account for is that apparently people would assume I was lying about it. Probably because they are used to worse. Point taken, but I'm not <random evil company>. I improved your Skyrim UI for free when I still could, purely because it was something that had do be done. I didn't even enjoy doing it. <Random evil company> would not have done that.

What I don't see a problem with is making a new version that is separate from the old and adds a couple of difficult to implement features people requested over the years, and see if these features are something that people are willing to pay for, or if they would prefer using the free version. Especially, if the alternative is that these features would never have been implemented in the first place otherwise.

Erdit: New post from DarkOne, owner/admin of NexusMods,
Read through this. First of all, it confirms that Valve's cut is 35% (even higher than we thought and still ridiculous, and probably explains why Valve thought it necessary to include options for "Service Providers" to avoid looking too greedy), and Bethesda's is 40%, which is surprising.

While I think this is a perfectly reasonable response, I think it was a poor choice to not come forward about receiving funds as soon as humanly possible and wasn't just a matter of "oops, I forgot", but rather "I sure hope nobody makes a stink about this".

It's also apparent he was willing to look over the issues clearly in front of him (only 25% of revenue going to modders for example) in exchange for the promise of receiving more funds for his site. While I understand not "wanting to cut off your nose to spite your face", they've come off as the poster-child for keeping mods free and it looks bad.

They've at the very least been critical, but they're being pragmatic in knowing that turning off the tap is just going to further line Valve's pockets and provide no immediate benefit for them so they're not going to protest/boycott the idea, despite the glaring issues that have been acknowledged.

Last edited by a moderator:
They will have to make some serious workshop changes if they want this to actually go anywhere because for the moment it is an absolute joke.  With the Skyrim mods currently for sale there is a window in which you can get your money back and so people are buying the mods, copying them and then getting a refund and distributing them to others. There is already talk of making sites specifically for trading these mods and there are barely any up yet.  Doing heavy modding via the workshop is a tough sell anyway, it actually makes it harder to install a lot of mods because of conflicts and complicated mod installs.

Steam intends to roll this out to all workshops eventually but as it currently exists it is going to be of limited benefit both to users and modders.  

I am also interested in what they will do with existing mods that people are using in a game if the author begins charging for the mod.  Will the user lose access to the mod and suffer broken save data or will they be grandfathered in as an owner of that version of the mod?  I presume that they will allow authors to change a mod from free to paid in the first place of course.

Project Cars is really tempting me and I shouldn't even consider it with my current lack of time + backlog of games that I actually want to play.  Damn preorder Zonda.  Of course not currently having a working wheel makes me a big less interested, I dread trying to play with a controller.  :joystick:

It seems that all the paid mods are now marked as pay what you want. I haven't really been tracking this drama, but is this a new development or the option was there from the start?

From Gaben himself:

For example, two areas where people have legitimate beefs against us are support and Greenlight.

We have short term hacks and longer term solutions coming, but the longer term good solutions involve writing a bunch of code. In the interim, it's going to be a sore point. Both these problems boil down to building scalable solutions that are robust in the face of exponential growth.
So, when is Valve going to actually fix Support + Greenlight?

So, serious question, as someone who never played Skyrim, it is worth getting it on sale now?  I avoided the console versions as I heard the PC mods made the game "right".  With this mod madness, is there still an advantage to the PC (resolution aside)?  Or has that been negated?  Also, if the PC version is still tight, what remaining free mods should one get?  Thanks gals/guys!

from SD

23" ips led hp monitor for $89.99 + tax

instructions below:

HP.com has 23" HP Pavilion 23xi 1920x1080 IPS LED Monitor (C3Z94AA#ABA) on sale for $89.99 when you follow the instructions below. Shipping is free. Thanks Erechtheus & alanhe73

1. Click here
  2. Click the Add to Cart button
  3. Add coupon codes 15HPTECHBARG, 15HPPAYPAL, and SV3846
    • Note: A message may state that the codes do not work, but they should still apply
  4. Total should be $89.99 with free shipping

So, serious question, as someone who never played Skyrim, it is worth getting it on sale now? I avoided the console versions as I heard the PC mods made the game "right". With this mod madness, is there still an advantage to the PC (resolution aside)? Or has that been negated? Also, if the PC version is still tight, what remaining free mods should one get? Thanks gals/guys!
Do you enjoy 500 hour hiking sims with copy/paste locations repeated 300 times and a main story that lasts 3 hours?

So, serious question, as someone who never played Skyrim, it is worth getting it on sale now? I avoided the console versions as I heard the PC mods made the game "right". With this mod madness, is there still an advantage to the PC (resolution aside)? Or has that been negated? Also, if the PC version is still tight, what remaining free mods should one get? Thanks gals/guys!
Personally i think skyrim is good with/without mods. Mods make it better, but it's fine without them. It's the same game (vanilla) on pc or console, pc will just have better graphics. It's worth buying, but get the legendary edition.

And there are tons of mods that it's not really worth mentioning them outside of a few considered to be "essentials," like SkyUI, skyrim script extender, and some of the better content mods like Falskaar and Wyrmstooth

I'd highly recommend going Complete on Skyrim.

The current problem w/ that is this - DLC's + Complete Editions are usually NOT discounted anywhere as cheap + as often as the base-game - i.e. you'll notice Skyrim base-game is 75% off, but DLC's piece-by-piece or Complete Edition is 66% off. Bethesda + Zenimax of late w/ Skyrim + Dishonored have been charging a bit of a Premium on those who buy base-game cheap and then buy the DLC's piecemeal; and those who flat-out wait to buy Complete Editions.

Mods are what make the game, for many. Usually, if there's something you don't like - a mod might change things for you. Elder Scrolls games are heavily modded by modders and game-players - so, this is definitely something one might want to look into.

And if you like mods - well, this is another reason to normally go Complete on any Bethesda game. Don't be surprised if there's a mod you want...and the mod wants you to own every damn piece of official content, to run it.

Also, Dawnguard DLC has one of the best + most interesting NPC's/companions in the game that can actually join you. I actually thought the story + plot in Dawnguard was a lot more interesting than many of the quests/questlines you'll find in the Skyrim base-game (other than probably The Dark Brotherhood + Thieves Guilds questline). Dragonborn DLC was great, as well - as it felt like a welcoming home party to Solsteim (which was in Morrowind expansion Bloodmoon). Dragonborn felt a bit more open w/ free-world roaming + side quests galore, while Dawnguard felt a bit more linear + more story/character focused. Both are great at what they do.

I usually don't use too many mods, in 1st go arounds w/ a game. But, I would at least recommend get SKSE + SkyUI - as Inventory in Skyrim base-game is okay, but SkyUI drastically improves it. Unfortunately, SkyUI 4.x is the last version that's free, as newer versions have joined the Steam Workshop $-Mod party.

Personally i think skyrim is good with/without mods. Mods make it better, but it's fine without them. It's the same game (vanilla) on pc or console, pc will just have better graphics. It's worth buying, but get the legendary edition.

And there are tons of mods that it's not really worth mentioning them outside of a few considered to be "essentials," like SkyUI, skyrim script extender, and some of the better content mods like Falskaar and Wyrmstooth

I'd highly recommend going Complete on Skyrim.

The current problem w/ that is this - DLC's + Complete Editions are usually NOT discounted anywhere as cheap + as often as the base-game - i.e. you'll notice Skyrim base-game is 75% off, but DLC's piece-by-piece or Complete Edition is 66% off. Bethesda + Zenimax of late w/ Skyrim + Dishonored have been charging a bit of a Premium on those who buy base-game cheap and then buy the DLC's piecemeal; and those who flat-out wait to buy Complete Editions.

Mods are what make the game, for many. Usually, if there's something you don't like - a mod might change things for you. Elder Scrolls games are heavily modded by modders and game-players - so, this is definitely something one might want to look into.

And if you like mods - well, this is another reason to normally go Complete on any Bethesda game. Don't be surprised if there's a mod you want...and the mod wants you to own every damn piece of official content, to run it.

Also, Dawnguard DLC has one of the best + most interesting NPC's/companions in the game that can actually join you. I actually thought the story + plot in Dawnguard was a lot more interesting than many of the quests/questlines you'll find in the Skyrim base-game (other than probably The Dark Brotherhood + Thieves Guilds questline). Dragonborn DLC was great, as well - as it felt like a welcoming home party to Solsteim (which was in Morrowind expansion Bloodmoon). Dragonborn felt a bit more open w/ free-world roaming + side quests galore, while Dawnguard felt a bit more linear + more story/character focused. Both are great at what they do.

I usually don't use too many mods, in 1st go arounds w/ a game. But, I would at least recommend get SKSE + SkyUI - as Inventory in Skyrim base-game is okay, but SkyUI drastically improves it. Unfortunately, SkyUI 4.x is the last version that's free, as newer versions have joined the Steam Workshop $-Mod party.
thank god, i played the free steam weekend offer of skyrim. it is really not my type of game. it is like playing a single player mmorpg

Do you enjoy 500 hour hiking sims with copy/paste locations repeated 300 times and a main story that lasts 3 hours?
it more then that... you could boil any game down like that regardless of genre.

skyrim is a fun game with flaws indeed 90% of what make it fun is if you like random exploring their mods too make the graphics better or change how many an were monster are too add bit of spice, think it free right now on steam right? play least hour or so or watch a lets play on you tube.

i played 200+ hours before i got bored my sister played around 300 so i got my money worth an i can always go back an play again

thank god, i played the free steam weekend offer of skyrim. it is really not my type of game. it is like playing a single player mmorpg
That's what makes Elder Scrolls offline games great - I don't have to go online and deal w/ other damn players. You got this huge world to explore, plenty to do, and whatnot. It's a time-sink.

ESO doesn't count - it feels like just another MMO...and it lacks mods. It also...is very generic; even more so than offline ES games.

Just, I don't recommend playing Skyrim straight - i.e. 100's of hours in a row. Whenever you get your fill, go away from it. Come back in a few weeks, a month, or whenever Skyrim calls. And if you dig it - trust me, it'll call you back. It's not like there's a super-insanely great main-story here and you don't want to let go - this is NOT that kind of game. It's an easy to pick-up and let go of game, whenever the time feels right to you to do so.

If you want a RPG that's story-focused, great characters, great story, hard-to-let-go-of, and whatnot - go play a BioWare RPG.

That's what makes Elder Scrolls offline games great - I don't have to go online and deal w/ other damn players. You got this huge world to explore, plenty to do, and whatnot. It's a time-sink.

ESO doesn't count - it feels like just another MMO...and it lacks mods. It also...is very generic; even more so than offline ES games.

Just, I don't recommend playing Skyrim straight - i.e. 100's of hours in a row. Whenever you get your fill, go away from it. Come back in a few weeks, a month, or whenever Skyrim calls. And if you dig it - trust me, it'll call you back. It's not like there's a super-insanely great main-story here and you don't want to let go - this is NOT that kind of game. It's an easy to pick-up and let go of game, whenever the time feels right to you to do so.

If you want a RPG that's story-focused, great characters, great story, hard-to-let, and whatnot - go play a BioWare RPG.
one positive of steam, is they offer these free to play weekend games. you can't get that on consoles, but only on pc.

If you want a RPG that's story-focused, great characters, great story, hard-to-let, and whatnot - go play a BioWare RPG.
Okay, this is what I thought Skyrim was, what with all the folks like Wombat saying how great it was. On the contrary, it seems like a game where you mostly 'tell your own tale'. I dont like that at all, at least not in character games. If I'm making my own world, I'd rather do it in a sim-type game. Thanks for all y'all's input. It has been helpful.

it more then that... you could boil any game down like that regardless of genre.

skyrim is a fun game with flaws indeed 90% of what make it fun is if you like random exploring their mods too make the graphics better or change how many an were monster are too add bit of spice, think it free right now on steam right? play least hour or so or watch a lets play on you tube.

i played 200+ hours before i got bored my sister played around 300 so i got my money worth an i can always go back an play again
I'm sorry, what? I left my wtf decoder ring at the office.

DarkOne's interaction with Gaben is interesting.
i like this question, directed to at our Lord Gaben.. and he answered "No, it wouldn't"

Considering valve is a company that owes many of its early games to mods, do you think that if you had to pay 5 dollars for the original Counter Strike, or Dota mod, would they have ever taken off?

All these talk about Skyrim, and I still have yet to touch the copy I got all those years ago... precisely because I find it difficult to motivate myself to play these "modern RPGs" that goes the fps single-player mmo route that focus all about the world exploration and little else...

I never understood the hype of Skyrim to be honest.. strangely enough, I actually sorta enjoyed their earlier ones in the series like daggerfall/morrowind way back.. but not when it's the 4th or 5th iteration of the exact same thing and more console-fied each time..

I'm sorry, what? I left my wtf decoder ring at the office.
005.jpg

Skyrim is very popular because it's essentially an open world you can explore. Yes, there's a story (very short, as Bruticis points out) and tons of optional quests to string out the play time. It's up to you to decide how guided you want your RPG to be, and whether or not optional quests will give you hours of enjoyment. If you're the kind of person that has a lot of imagination and enjoys a sandbox, then Skyrim might be for you. If you demand a quality story and anything more than basic action in combat, then you might be Bruticis -- or you might just not enjoy this type of game.

It's a real love-hate thing, with strong arguments on both sides.

but if an RPG doesn't have story, character and whatnot, then WTF ppl want to play it?!? :whistle2:$
Depends on the actual game.

There's many reason why games w/ lack of storytelling, narrative, characters, etc - are played the living hell out of.

Skyrim has a ridiculously huge game-world with tons to do; and the game has tons of mods out there to get. If the stock game ain't enough for you, the mods might change your feelings on the game. The story, characters, game-world overall is normally not of Obsidian + BioWare quality - but it's usually enough to always keep the player going + invested. There's so much to do, so much going on - essentially, the more you do; the more it all adds up. Also, Hal has a good point - if you have imagination...that helps for sure, as well. Elder Scrolls offline-games are essentially the best single-player offline-MMO you can get.

Dark Souls is played b/c the artistic-style of graphics are unique, interesting, and often un-matched these days; and the game is incredibly challenging. Nobody here plays Dark Souls here for the narrative quality, as it's (purposely) not on par w/ Obsidian + Bioware. This game's meant to be played more game-y, w/ less emphasis on that story + narrative stuff. To be exact: this is an old-school difficult style game. Most of the game's story + character stuff is visually told to you (just look at a dead character on the ground, see how they're laying there, where they might have cuts, or have been burnt to a crisp and see what's nearby for enemies - you can figure out maybe how a NPC died, for example) or told to you by reading item description, as you can actually get a clue to what's actually going on here for Lore.

Stupid Steam coupons. I received one for 75% off Infested Planet last weekend after crafting a cheap badge. I debated whether to buy it with Steam credit and thought I'd wait closer to the expiration date (4/25) to decide. Then Infested Planet just happened to go on sale yesterday at 67% off in a Steam daily deal.

Will the coupon stack on the sale price? No, of course not.

Will the coupon still work off the original MSRP price? No, that's too difficult for Steam software to comprehend. 

It's kind of funny that the game is only 67% off but the DLC expansion is 75% off right now which was released on the 24th. I think they're just taunting me (and other coupon receivers) at this point.

even tho i didn't enjoy skyrim, i do think it has good value, for the amount of content it prvoides. if i was poor, and only own a console. i could only afford one $60 dollar game a year. i would probably get it, to last me until the next year.

All these talk about Skyrim, and I still have yet to touch the copy I got all those years ago... precisely because I find it difficult to motivate myself to play these "modern RPGs" that goes the fps single-player mmo route that focus all about the world exploration and little else...

I never understood the hype of Skyrim to be honest.. strangely enough, I actually sorta enjoyed their earlier ones in the series like daggerfall/morrowind way back.. but not when it's the 4th or 5th iteration of the exact same thing and more console-fied each time..
That's exactly what makes Skyrim great - it feels like a MMO b/c of its share size (ridiculously huge) + b/c of the style of quests it often has (a lot of one-off quests, a lot of non-decision making quests, kill X rats/enemies, find X item, find X NPC's, find X area, fetch quests)...

...but never has the bullcrap that often comes along w/ being saddled online at all times that MMO's have (i.e. always online MMO, dealing w/ other players, dealing w/ possible online cheating, worrying about if you're friends are way further along than you, worrying if friends can schedule a time to play the game actually with you, etc etc).

And in case Drabe didn't get the paradox - it's pretty much been explained by others already a few times (who said Skyrim feels like a MMO) + also expanded upon by myself right bloody here.

That's exactly what makes Skyrim great - it feels like a MMO b/c of its share size (ridiculously huge) + b/c of the style of quests it often has (a lot of one-off quests, a lot of non-decision making quests, kill X rats/enemies, find X item, find X NPC's, find X area, fetch quests)...

...but never has the bullcrap that often comes along w/ being saddled online at all times that MMO's have (i.e. always online MMO, dealing w/ other players, dealing w/ possible online cheating, worrying about if you're friends are way further along than you, worrying if friends can schedule a time to play with you, etc etc).

And in case Drabe didn't get the paradox - it's pretty much been explained by others already a few times + also expanded upon by myself right bloody here.
mmo's have other players and have nothing to do with the quests or how the game plays

mmorpg's did not invent fetch quests or other quests for that matter

even tho i didn't enjoy skyrim, i do think it has good value, for the amount of content it prvoides. if i was poor, and only own a console. i could only afford one $60 dollar game a year. i would probably get it, to last me until the next year.
Skyrim PC could have even more value, if you are into Skyrim's modding scene and find some free-mods that might suit you and/or fix Skyrim for you.

I have over 180 hours w/ Skyrim and barely have modded it - and I think it's fantastic, as is.

I've basically only thrown SKSE + SkyUI onto it, for mods.

With main-quests for Skyrim, Dragonborn, and Dawnguard done - I'm sure I'll be looking for content mods for Skyrim, in due time.

MMOs are games where you blindly mash accept on as many HUGE flashing question marks as you can find. Mash accept simulators are nothing even remotely like real RPGs. Stick with games you know best, like oily man grappling and figure skating.

mmo's have other players...
Obviously.

...and have nothing to do with the quests or how the game plays

mmorpg's did not invent fetch quests or other quests for that matter
Nobody said MMO's have invented fetch quests or any of those linear one-off fetch-quests of that type. Definitely not the case.

Those type of quests are often heavily rampant in MMO's - which are also heavily rampant in many of the offline Elder Scrolls games (and also obviously in ESO).

Do we see lots of MMO's focused where players are making tons of decisions here that are shaping & changing the out-come of the actual game, its main quest, its side quests, and game-world + its inhabitants like say a CD Projekt, BioWare or Obsidian single-player offline game would actually aim for?

No, I think not.

Skyrim PC could have even more value, if you are into Skyrim's modding scene and find some free-mods that might suit you and/or fix Skyrim for you.

I have over 180 hours w/ Skyrim and barely have modded it - and I think it's fantastic, as is.

I've basically only thrown SKSE + SkyUI onto it, for mods.

With main-quests for Skyrim, Dragonborn, and Dawnguard done - I'm sure I'll be looking for content mods for Skyrim, in due time.
the appeal on pc for skyrim is just not there. due to the fact, i can play a handful of different f2p mmorpg on pc, if i ever want to be playing a game like skyrim. plus, the combat/gameplay system in skyrim is not very polished at all.

MMOs are games where you blindly mash accept on as many HUGE flashing question marks as you can find. Mash accept simulators are nothing even remotely like real RPGs. Stick with games you know best, like oily man grappling and figure skating.
Go back under your bridge.

the appeal on pc for skyrim is just not there. due to the fact, i can play a handful of different f2p mmorpg on pc, if i ever want to be playing a game like skyrim. plus, the combat/gameplay system in skyrim is not very polished at all.
Skyrim's appeal is If you wanted to avoid all the online-crap + experience mods galore all by yourself, then certainly...Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim's there for that. It does offline MMO-style RPG better than anyone else.

MMO's don't really often allow for mods and you're always stuck online w/ that. So, that means you have to depends on their servers, your ISP, and your PC connecting at all times. Of course, since you're going after F2P MMO's - as long as you don't drop $ on micro-transactions, you're certainly going to get your money's worth...which is $0. Hard to beat that price-tag of $0 - especially if it's something you're totally digging.

MMOs are games where you blindly mash accept on as many HUGE flashing question marks as you can find. Mash accept simulators are nothing even remotely like real RPGs.
So, what are actually "real RPG's" to you?

Fallout 1+2? Planescape: Torment? Baldur's Gate 1+2? Arcanum?

one positive of steam, is they offer these free to play weekend games. you can't get that on consoles, but only on pc.
Not true. Xbone is having a free NBA 2K15 weekend right now, actually (and they've done one for Sunset Overdrive in the past).

We'll see if they make this a more regular thing in the future.

time to preorder WWE

I'm ready to create a bra and panties match with D and Bobby
Only if you buy me a copy. ;)

(Not really a wrestling fan)

bread's done
Back