Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
I'm curious - how cheap?

Since you're with Win 8.1...if you don't like Metro UI/Modern UI - I'd get StartMenu8.

Hell, depending on how you feel on Win 8.1 and on how Win 10 turns out - you might even want to look into the free upgrade to Win 10.

I'm recommend a better video card. Integrated ain't going to cut it, running any sort of modern PC games ever (it's unfortunately always been this way) - especially in the AAA arena. Depending on how high you want the settings to go + what games you're trying to run - you should look into cards going over 2GB VRAM from either NVidia or AMD.

Me, I personally would aim for 3-4GB VRAM w/ the way these new games are going w/ stiff requirements w/ the next-gen consoles here pushing out specs much higher for us PC gamer - but, you know, that's just me; and that's where I likely will go when I do my next upgrade.

Also, some of the newer games are starting to recommend or (even worse) flat-out require i7's. Wolf: TNO requires a i7 for even its minimum.
The whole thing cost $250, so I have no problem throwing down some money for some upgrades because even buying some more expensive parts is going to keep the overall cost relatively low. I obviously don't want integrated graphics and I'm already sold on buying a dedicated GFX card, I just want recommendations at this point.

What's your PSU? Make sure it's not some awful mega-cheap one that'll fry your system.
300w I believe, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm going off what others have said, but I will double check before I make any purchases. I also have no problem if I have to upgrade the PSU.

Is this a pre-built PC and what PSU (Power Supply Unit) do you have? If this is a pre-built (Dell, HP etc.) then you can probably just toss in a 750 Ti. I have a Dell with a 300W psu with only 18A (18 Amps, 11 + 7 I think) and I have a 750 Ti which works great and stays cool.

If you have a pre-built (HP, Dell, etc.) you can also upgrade the PSU and get a better card, but be careful about heat and airflow. For instance, my Dell case has no case fans, so make sure you get a cool-running card if your case doesn't have good airflow. Basically, get Nvidia, do not get AMD.

If you don't have a pre-built, or have a better PSU, I would definitely recommend getting a better card though.
300w PSU and it's a prebuilt Dell and the idea of just slapping in a card is nice, but I'm definitely toying with the idea of buying a better PSU, better card, and throwing in an SSD as well.

What's your PSU? Make sure it's not some awful mega-cheap one that'll fry your system.
I second this. In the past they used to put garbage power supplies with very few connectors in pre-builts.

I've read that today's GPU's don't use nearly as much power as the previous generations, but I'd still make sure I have the juice to run everything.

300w PSU and it's a prebuilt Dell and the idea of just slapping in a card is nice, but I'm definitely toying with the idea of buying a better PSU, better card, and throwing in an SSD as well.
Obviously, easiest is just getting the 750 Ti, but if you decide to upgrade, just make sure to get an Nvidia card, 960 would be good because it also runs cool.

I second this. In the past they used to put garbage power supplies with very few connectors in pre-builts.

I've read that today's GPU's don't use nearly as much power as the previous generations, but I'd still make sure I have the juice to run everything.
Yeah, my Dell PSU doesn't even have a cable for a graphics card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most plug-adapters are really cheap/low-quality... you're better off with proper PSU cord.

Edit: Ah, Korea uses the Southern European plug (also used in N. Africa, and other places).... yeah better off with a proper cord. Adapting from that to American plugs has always been finicky for me.

It's fine. All good PSU's support larger range of voltages. (Due to Active PFC)
Thanks, all! Much appreciated for putting my mind at ease!

Worse, Dell had its own proprietary PSUs/motherboards... pin swapped ATX connectors... replacing the PSU could fry the board, iirc.

the 960 is a dud. personally I wouldn't buy a gpu right now with dx12, free/adaptive sync and 3+GB vram requirements right around the corner. that said if you twisted my arm and made me pick something now a r9 290 plus an adequate psu would be my recommendation... seeing 290s as low as $250 makes it a no brainer really.

the 960 is a dud. personally I wouldn't buy a gpu right now with dx12, free/adaptive sync and 3+GB vram requirements right around the corner.
Yeah, I think for the 2GB in the GF 960 is the nail in the coffin for me - especially w/ the way these new games are going, especially in the AAA realm (since we all know I do all of my gaming on the PC).

If NVidia put out a 960 with 3-4GB of VRAM, things could get a lot more interesting.

Anyone here know if NVidia has any plans to do something b/t that'd wind-up likely b/t the 2GB VRAM GF GTX 960 and GF 970 with 4GB 3.5 GB + 0.5 GB VRAM GF 970?

the 960 is a dud. personally I wouldn't buy a gpu right now with dx12, free/adaptive sync and 3+GB vram requirements right around the corner. that said if you twisted my arm and made me pick something now a r9 290 plus an adequate psu would be my recommendation... seeing 290s as low as $250 makes it a no brainer really.
I was definitely surprised that the 960 has the same memory my 560 gtx ti has. I was even more surprised that the memory bus is HALF what my card is. (128 vs 256) I can't help but think that would be a bottleneck in data transfer.

I bought a 770 a little over a year ago and I figure it'll hold me another two years at least.  I don't see a single upcoming AAA graphics fest title that I'm interested in getting.  Dying Light was it and, after some tweaking, I can get it running at 60fps with near max graphics.  No idea what else is on the horizon.  Another Elderp Scrolls?  Fallout 4?

I bought a 770 a little over a year ago and I figure it'll hold me another two years at least. I don't see a single upcoming AAA graphics fest title that I'm interested in getting. Dying Light was it and, after some tweaking, I can get it running at 60fps with near max graphics. No idea what else is on the horizon. Another Elderp Scrolls? Fallout 4?
I hope we get Fallout 4 before Elder Scrolls 6.

I went with an R9 280 at Christmas time for my new build as it was cheap and the best value for money I could get. I'd worry about better cards but so far this year I've played:

Dungeon of the Endless

Gunpoint

Far Cry 3

Transistor

South Park

Tiny Thief

I sure do appreciate those 60 fps in Tiny Thief.

(Seriously, at 1080p loads of cards these days are overkill)

I can't say I anticipate either one greatly. Also I assume they're both at least two years off from today. Any other big name AAA games coming out in the next couple of years? I'm drawing a blank.

Also agreed with the above. If you're playing at 1080 most of the cards today are overkill.

I bought a 770 a little over a year ago and I figure it'll hold me another two years at least. I don't see a single upcoming AAA graphics fest title that I'm interested in getting. Dying Light was it and, after some tweaking, I can get it running at 60fps with near max graphics. No idea what else is on the horizon. Another Elderp Scrolls? Fallout 4?
Bethesda RPGs aren't really the types of games that stretch your graphics card anyway.

I can't say I anticipate either one greatly. Also I assume they're both at least two years off from today. Any other big name AAA games coming out in the next couple of years? I'm drawing a blank.
I'd actually be surprised if it's two years before ES6 or FO4 comes out. It's been four years since a proper entry in Elder Srolls and five since New Vegas. I'm betting one of them gets announced by the summer and released sometime in 2016. Not a lot comes to mind for games in "the next few years" because a lot of the games that will be released then probably haven't been publicly announced yet. There's stuff like The Division, No Man's Sky. Pretty much any popular franchise (Borderlands, Assassin's Creed, Call of Doody, etc) will be sure to have new releases.

I was unaware that you could buy a Graphics Card on Steam.....

but girls with juggling boobs from games available on sale on Steam... inappropriate.

fairy_bounce23.gif

So all in all, I'll probably be looking to spend no more than $400 on an SSD, GFX card, and PSU. I think that should cover my bases pretty well. The more value I can get for my budget is obviously ideal.

I don't think that patch fixed issues for AMD users.
In the patch-notes, they did list generic performance improvements. I'm curious how much that improved things, in general for AMD users.

But, yeah - there are still lingering issues they listed as that they are working on for AMD configs specifically.

Let's hope AMD + Techland can get the issues straightened-out for AMD users. Seems crazy that Crossfiring 4 AMD cards, even before the patch - it wasn't performing that great for him.

Any AMD users here want to comment on performance before and after the patch?

I tried my email code and it worked fine. Maybe if your highlighting, copying and pasting, make sure there isn't an erroneous space at the end. Beyond that, not sure what the problem might.
My page states "No keys available until the game is released." :(

LOL maybe he should turn down his settings and totally gimp out his system like you clowns were telling me in tebow chat. I mentioned how shitty the port was and the AAA crusaders were on me like white on rice.
My point was this in Tebow Chat: when a game runs like garbage on your rig, you have to do something about it. You have a few choices. You either have to to turn some settings down where you find something suitable enough for you; wait for a patch to hopefully fix things; or upgrade your system.

It's the nature of the PC gaming-land - especially in AAA-Gaming.

And it's also very true in many instances, if you do decide to buy games ASAP - when you are basically deciding be basically be a paying Beta-Tester.

If you don't like the PC gaming-land nature of tweaking game-settings and hardware configs, then I don't know why you are playing PC games. Go play the game on the consoles - and hope to God they did a decent job on the un-customizable console-version.

My point was this in Tebow Chat: when a game runs like garbage, you have to do something about it. You have a few choices. You either have to to turn some settings down; wait for a patch to hopefully fix things; or upgrade your system.

It's the nature of the PC gaming-land - especially in AAA-Gaming.

And it's also very true in many instances, if you do decide to buy games ASAP - when you are basically deciding be basically be a paying Beta-Tester.

If you don't like the PC gaming-land nature, then I don't know why you are playing PC games. Go play the game on the consoles - and hope to God they did a decent job on the un-customizable console-version.
Lol ok. This is why AAA games are shit ports. People like you apologizing for shit optimization.

I was definitely surprised that the 960 has the same memory my 560 gtx ti has. I was even more surprised that the memory bus is HALF what my card is. (128 vs 256) I can't help but think that would be a bottleneck in data transfer.
Those tricky engineers where up to their black magic again...

Comparing benchmarks is far more relevant than layperson-armchair-engineering. And that measures what you ultimately care about, does it run games well?

I looked it up after I posted that.  Apparently the GPU developers figured out how to tweak how a card transfers data through a bus and they are much more efficient.  It's still not the same performance you'd get through a 256, but they utilize the 128 much better than in the past.

As for Dying Light, I'm glad I saw that video.  Totally not the game I thought it was going to be.  Say bye bye to my wishlist, game.  I really don't want to play "Zombie Land: Parkour Edition".

Lol ok. This is why AAA games are shit ports. People like you apologizing for shit optimization.
This is NOT apologizing for the "optimization" that has been going around on PC-versions when a game is multi-platformed. This is especially even more so true, in the AAA arena. If a game runs like garbage for you - face the reality that the options I laid out for you are basically your options here on the PC, Drabe.

Take your pick. You either turn some of the settings down on your Video Card's Software Panel + in-game settings; upgrade your PC hardware; or wait for some official patches or mods to (hopefully) fix things.

Or, you could just go buy a console-version for your preferred console.

BTW, I think it's pretty disgusting that the game runs like garbage for him at below-4K settings with 4-Crossfired high-end AMD cards.

This is NOT apologizing for the ptimization that has been going around on PC-versions when a game is multi-platformed. This is especially even more so true, in the AAA arena. If a game runs like garbage for you - face the reality that the options I laid out for you are basically your options here on the PC, Drabe.

Take your pick. You either turn some of the settings down on your Video Card's Software Panel + in-game settings; upgrade your PC hardware; or wait for some official patches or mods to (hopefully) fix things.

Or, you could just go buy a console-version for your preferred console.

BTW, I think it's pretty disgusting that the game runs like garbage for him at below-4K settings with 4-Crossfired high-end AMD cards.
lol

So it's disgusting that the one pc can't run it but I should accept that it ran like shit on mine?

Keep drinking the Kool aid derrick

lol

So it's disgusting that the one pc can't run it but I should accept that it ran like shit on mine?

Keep drinking the Kool aid derrick
That PC's way over-powered. There's no way it should run like that on below 4K, IMHO.

You also need to specify your hardware (vid card, processor, RAM); and what settings you have the game for both your in-game settings + vid card's panel. Don't expect to run it at max on your system, especially when cards like the 970 + 980 are out there.

BTW, there's one R in my name - it's Derick.

EDIT:

sli/crossfire is a crapshoot. 2+2 never equals 4 when it comes to graphics cards.
I was never the biggest fan of SLI/Crossfire, anyways.

But even w/ that over-powered rig, you'd still expect it to run smoothly w/ things on max....especially when below 4K.

That PC's way over-powered. There's no way it should run like that on below 4K, IMHO.

You also need to specify your hardware (vid card, processor, RAM); and what settings you have the game for both your in-game settings + vid card's panel. Don't expect to run it at max on your system, especially when cards like the 970 + 980 are out there.

EDIT:
But even w/ that over-powered rig, you'd still expect it to run smoothly w/ things on max....especially when below 4K.
i don't. games have to be programed specifically to take advantage of the hardware. how many devs are progaming for two gpus much less four. sli/crossfire hardly works out the gate and is usually patched in later anyway.

EDIT:

One last time....the settings I was using on Dying Light were BELOW what my system could handle...which would essentially be the same as someone that is running an overpowered rig running it at max...and it still ran like shit.

I realize you have a hard time grasping concepts like this....so this will be my last post on the subject.

GO HAWKS

Dying light is hot garbage anyway. Best to chalk it up to another AAA cash grab on pc.
GOTY, you h8r.

Re: MysterD and performance to say 'cards like the 900 series exist,' well, they were released... what... six months ago? Less? To release a game expecting more than 20% or so of your customer base to have the absolute latest video card is unrealistic. And while it's true the 780 and 780ti's have been out for awhile... again... you're talking maybe the top third at best in terms of people who have those cards.

Of course, that said, I was able to get the game running fine disabling the worthless post processing and draw distance.

bread's done
Back