Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
I stayed up until 1 to see the next flash sale. Derp. I'm taking my old ass to bed.
I stayed up, but not for the flash sale. Reading Eliot Rodger's manifesto. Fascinating and disturbing. Not often you get to read a life history and go into the deranged mind of a sick puppy like that.

Advent Rising
Astebreed
Blade Kitten: Hollow Wish Collection
Culpa Innata
Dino D-Day + Dino D-Day: Last Stand DLC
DisplayFusion
Gas Guzzlers Extreme Gold Pack
Goat Simulator + GoatZ
Homeworld Remastered Collection
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1+ DLC
Killer is Dead
METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES
Metro Redux Bundle
Remember Me
Risen 3 - Complete Edition
Rocksmith
Space Hulk - Ultimate Pack
State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition
Strider
The Stanley Parable
Valkyria Chronicles
Wolfenstein: The New Order ROW

What to do. Sell off my entire card haul? I can get like nine Gabenbux but I'm afraid I'll get market banned or something.
Just sell them. If Gaben didn't get pissed at me dropping 2 years worth of hoarded shit at the start of the sale then your $9 will be fine.

I spent way too much time hunting for a good Monster room during this sale. I also spent way too much money, I dunno.

Astebreed
Child of Light
Command and Conquer: Tiberium Wars
Despair
Driver: Parallel Lines
Escape Machines
Fragger
GemCraft - Chasing Shadows
Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
Ikaruga
Killer is Dead
Kings Bounty: Dark Side Premium Edition
Legend of Grimrock 2
Legend of Korra
LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham Premium Edition
LEGO Indiana Jones

Last edited by a moderator:
Got around $8 in steam card money is the Dishonored DLC any good??
yes. well worth it.

don't bother with the trials of dunwall city dlc unless you absolutely love dishonored, it's a bunch of challenges. its pretty well done for a challenge pack and i actually played it for a bit, but i only had it because i was gifted the goty edition. wouldn't recommend buying it. the story dlc is really good though.

Holy Crap.

I'm in the last Game Room organized by the Ye Olde Wormhole group.  We are advancing at 90 - 100 Levels per Second.

Thinking about:

Metro Redux Bundle - $9.99   -->   Leaning towards going for it. But I'm not in a hurry. Thoughts on whether it will be cheaper?

Valkyria Chronicles - $4.99   -->  Fence. Already own PS3 version.

Tomb Raider  (GOTY) - $3.99 or $5.99    -->   Fence. Beat it on PS3. Is the GOTY content worth it / will the sequel push the price down?

Bioshock Triple Pack - $10.48   -->   Infinite does not include the Burial at Sea episodes.

Blazin Fast

99%20levels%20per%20second_zps8fohprvk.jpg

I haven't bought all that much.  So far, my haul is:

Endless Space: Gold

King's Bounty: WotN -- Ice & Fire DLC

Cuban Missile Crisis

Cuban Missile Crisis: Ice Crusade

The last two titles are older games based on the Blitzkrieg engine that had been on my wishlist for a long time, but only recently arrived on Steam.  I'm very tempted to pick up Homeworld: Remastered Collection, Endless Legend, and Cities: Skylines, but I think they'll end up cheaper in the not-too-distant future.

Thinking about:

Metro Redux Bundle - $9.99 --> Leaning towards going for it. But I'm not in a hurry. Thoughts on whether it will be cheaper?

Valkyria Chronicles - $4.99 --> Fence. Already own PS3 version.

Tomb Raider (GOTY) - $3.99 or $5.99 --> Fence. Beat it on PS3. Is the GOTY content worth it / will the sequel push the price down?

Bioshock Triple Pack - $10.48 --> Infinite does not include the Burial at Sea episodes.
Tomb Raider DLC is one tiny single player tomb and a bunch of multiplayer stuff. I'd skip it if you already played the game on console. Assuming you haven't already played them, get the Metro bundle. It may get cheaper someday but I doubt it'll get much cheaper than its current $5 per game.

Thinking about:

Metro Redux Bundle - $9.99 --> Leaning towards going for it. But I'm not in a hurry. Thoughts on whether it will be cheaper?

Valkyria Chronicles - $4.99 --> Fence. Already own PS3 version.

Tomb Raider (GOTY) - $3.99 or $5.99 --> Fence. Beat it on PS3. Is the GOTY content worth it / will the sequel push the price down?

Bioshock Triple Pack - $10.48 --> Infinite does not include the Burial at Sea episodes.
Tomb Raider: Dont get goty, DLC isn't great (especially 50% of the base price). For sure get plain, the game is such a masterpiece and probably won't be that much cheaper.

Skip VC put that money towards something better at some point.

Never used Steam, but I see there's a Fallout bundle right now. questions:

1) How invasive is Steam DRM?

2) Do I have to be online to play Steam games, or just the first time I install them?

3) If I get a new computer or HDD, am I screwed?

4) Can I install Steam games to more than 1 of my computers if I choose?

TIA.

1) Its not
2) You can choose to go offline, though you have to tell steam you'll be going offline. Whilst online, you choose the offline mode setting and then steam will boot up offline from then until you change the setting. But I don't see why you'd do this unless you foresee not having internet.
3) No, just download again
4) Yes

Never used Steam, but I see there's a Fallout bundle right now. questions:

1) How invasive is Steam DRM?

2) Do I have to be online to play Steam games, or just the first time I install them?

3) If I get a new computer or HDD, am I screwed?

4) Can I install Steam games to more than 1 of my computers if I choose?

TIA.
1) As above, if you have internet access. If you are away from it for extended periods, you may experience issues.

2) As above.

3) As above, or just copy the game folder between PCs.

4) As above, for the vast majority of games. There are still a few games on Steam which come with their own DRM which may have other rules.

Just to add, unless it's changed, you only have to be online to log into Steam. I used to go days without any connection and had no problem as long as I didn't have to reboot my computer or such. This was 6-7 years ago though, but doubt it's changed that much. 

For the 4th, IIRC you can't be logged into your account on more then one device at the same time, but see the other two for the rest/specifically about installing

So I signed up for Steam. I was considering their Spiderweb bundle over Gog's because it has Nethergate Resurrection and Avernum 2 Crystal Souls (but lacks Avernum 1-3) for only $2.50 more.

But, I figure by the time I get around to wanting to playing Crystal Souls, it might be bundled at Gog. And if that happens, and if Gog adds Nethergate Resurrection, they, unlike Steam, will give me credit for already owning games in the bundle. And I don't want to have to deal with having to have an internet connection to play a game (thanks for clarifying, guys). My cable internet does go down for 2 hours at a time sometimes, and my laptop's wireless adapters are awful (the internal's range has dropped to 10 feet and the external is slow, and they both stop working at times, requiring a reboot).

So I remain Steam-less and am sticking with Gog for now. It may change if the Fallout games go on a better sale (I saw they've been less at Steam before), then again I may hold out and hope Gog gets them again unless I run out of games to play.

Does anyone have any reliable information on which service gives a higher percentage to self-publishers?

Now that the sale draws to a close, does anyone have any "hidden gems" that they've found or seen?
I haven't really found any (though, to be fair, I am pretty picky), a lot of games that seem to be meh or worse, and a lot have been bundled =/.

Still think WMMA 3 and TEW 2010 are great if you really like MMO or Wrestling, even if they are at $4.99 (not really a "hidden gem," price). I like SLAMMED! so far, but it's only 40% off and you are basically buying a COYA ebook. There is Psy High from the same people which gets bit more mixed reviews, but also cheaper (still it's paying $1.79ish for a COYA ebook).

Just to add, unless it's changed, you only have to be online to log into Steam. I used to go days without any connection and had no problem as long as I didn't have to reboot my computer or such. This was 6-7 years ago though, but doubt it's changed that much.

For the 4th, IIRC you can't be logged into your account on more then one device at the same time, but see the other two for the rest/specifically about installing
What? Logging to your account on multiple device is possible for awhile now. Especially working as intended for In-Home Streaming.

And I don't want to have to deal with having to have an internet connection to play a game (thanks for clarifying, guys). My cable internet does go down for 2 hours at a time sometimes, and my laptop's wireless adapters are awful (the internal's range has dropped to 10 feet and the external is slow, and they both stop working at times, requiring a reboot).
When I said "extended periods," I didn't mean a few hours. I was talking about a week or two.

So I signed up for Steam. I was considering their Spiderweb bundle over Gog's because it has Nethergate Resurrection and Avernum 2 Crystal Souls (but lacks Avernum 1-3) for only $2.50 more.

But, I figure by the time I get around to wanting to playing Crystal Souls, it might be bundled at Gog. And if that happens, and if Gog adds Nethergate Resurrection, they, unlike Steam, will give me credit for already owning games in the bundle. And I don't want to have to deal with having to have an internet connection to play a game (thanks for clarifying, guys). My cable internet does go down for 2 hours at a time sometimes, and my laptop's wireless adapters are awful (the internal's range has dropped to 10 feet and the external is slow, and they both stop working at times, requiring a reboot).

So I remain Steam-less and am sticking with Gog for now. It may change if the Fallout games go on a better sale (I saw they've been less at Steam before), then again I may hold out and hope Gog gets them again unless I run out of games to play.

Does anyone have any reliable information on which service gives a higher percentage to self-publishers?
The newer Fallout games (FO3 GOTY and FO:NV UE) have recently avoided their past $5 sales mark like the plague. As for the older Interplay titles showing back up on GOG, I wouldn't hold your breath. (And I'm sure you're aware the newer titles are both Steamworks now, so, yeah.)

As for sales, I'd say Steam generally has higher discount sales more frequently. GOG, you typically have summer and holiday sales where they'll break their typical 60% off threshold. Outside of that, you'll be waiting for one of their Insomnia Sales for deeper discounts. And regarding self published titles, it depends on the publisher, not the platform. Bethesda being noticeably more stingy at least in regards to DLC.

The newer Fallout games (FO3 GOTY and FO:NV UE) have recently avoided their past $5 sales mark like the plague. As for the older Interplay titles showing back up on GOG, I wouldn't hold your breath. (And I'm sure you're aware the newer titles are both Steamworks now, so, yeah.)

As for sales, I'd say Steam generally has higher discount sales more frequently. GOG, you typically have summer and holiday sales where they'll break their typical 60% off threshold. Outside of that, you'll be waiting for one of their Insomnia Sales for deeper discounts. And regarding self published titles, it depends on the publisher, not the platform. Bethesda being noticeably more stingy at least in regards to DLC.
I already have the Bethesda Fallout games on 360. I'm really only interested in purchasing the older titles at this point, (Side note: As a teenager, I thought system requirements were a hard and fast rule. Fallout required a Pentium IIRC, but the demo played just fine on my 486/66 with 12 MB RAM. I think the same thing was the case with HoMM II and maybe a couple others, Seems foolish, now.)

Depends on the publisher? What I meant was, in regards to something like the Spiderweb games, where the developer is a husband and wife team, and they self-publish, would Gog or Steam give them a higher percentage of the price? I know that's not super-CAG like to care, but I do in instances like this.

If you're planning to stick w/ one service and you really want to play certain particular games, this is going to be a losing battle for you. As much as I love GOG's attitude of No DRM, most companies likely won't throw their games on GOG b/c they want DRM on their games - especially when they're brand new and want to try to keep piracy down (even if it's just a little bit). And if a company signed to GOG has a big title game (especially if it's AAA), they might not even put the title on GOG until way later when they feel they've made already their round of major sales on a new title w/ its DRM-laced version - like Deep Silver has done plenty of times.

Then maybe way later, they might feel it's time to get it on GOG to get the GOG fans who held out on the game to hit the service b/c they're loyal to GOG + DRM-FREE attitude; and/or get some fans who love the game that own a DRM-laced version to go ahead to double-dip just to get it DRM-FREE from GOG - i.e. SR2 + Saints Row: The Third were Steamworks games first for quite a few years, but they both just recently this year got DRM-FREE versions release on GOG.

Also many games are requiring one service just ain't found anywhere else period.

i.e. AAA EA Titles like Dragon Age: Inquisition; Mass Effect 3; and BF3+4 and Hardline are only on Origin + requiring it.

i.e. Most of the newer Zenimax + BethSoft titles are now flat-out requiring Steam.

i.e. Valve titles are only on Steam; a lot of 2K's games require Steam.

i.e. For some reason, Arcanum can only be found on GOG.

I suggest this: you just buy most games cheap that you plan to backlog (i.e. not play ASAP) like most of do here in sales - whether from Bundle Sites; Amazon DVG; Gamersgate; Direct2Drive; GreenManGaming; or whatever + wherever. It's the best way to do things - especially since you can find Steam-versions often cheaper in other places besides Steam. GOG is often not as cheap as Steam.

Also, sometimes HumbleBundle and other Bundle sites might sell a game where one purchase from them gives you both a Steam-key + direct download from them for a DRM-FREE version - i.e. Best Of Both Worlds, as I like to call it. For example - Dreamfall Chapters, Shadowrun Returns, and Shadowrun: Dragonfall on HB Store when purchased once there give you DRM-FREE download + a Steam key.

Also, you need to see this thread on GOG. Bookmark it. Make it a GOG favorite thread (so it's stickied):

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/page1

The above linked thread on GOG is about games w/out any DRM found on Steam (they don't come w/ Steam's CEG DRM or any other 3rd party DRM crap). Yes, these games do exist - these games can be run from the game-folder when Steam's closed and do boot right up no problem w/out forcing Steam to open; or you can create a shortcut directly from the game-folder's EXE while Steam's closed and boot the game forcing it to not boot Steam. Sure, you'll still need to download the game from Steam initially, in the first place - but still, in some instances, you can work around this stuff once you downloaded the game from Steam, if need be.

But, you'll want to make sure you back-up the Steam game-folder somewhere, so you have it - just in case a company changes game and could add DRM later in a patch (Skyrim, anyone?); you may want to mod the game; so you don't have to re-download the game (especially if it's a big-sized title); or whatever reason you can think of. Sometimes, when you get a Steam-version w/out DRM - that game might actually work when it's not in the Steam-folder + saves locally to the hard-drive (i.e. see Wizardry 8 on Steam).

I hope all of that information helps you out.

Depends on the publisher? What I meant was, in regards to something like the Spiderweb games, where the developer is a husband and wife team, and they self-publish, would Gog or Steam give them a higher percentage of the price? I know that's not super-CAG like to care, but I do in instances like this.
If you mean profit cut being paid out to the pub, then I can almost guarantee that would be GOG. How much of a difference, I can't say, but I don't imagine it to be a Earth shattering disparity. But, percentage of the cut isn't everything. I'd imagine on older games GOG may come out on top (maybe) on total sales, but Steam is likely to sell higher volume, especially on newer titles.

I already have the Bethesda Fallout games on 360. I'm really only interested in purchasing the older titles at this point, (Side note: As a teenager, I thought system requirements were a hard and fast rule. Fallout required a Pentium IIRC, but the demo played just fine on my 486/66 with 12 MB RAM. I think the same thing was the case with HoMM II and maybe a couple others, Seems foolish, now.)

Actually, Obsidian made FO:NV; BethSoft + Zenimax published it.

Bethesda only have developed FO3; and they will be putting out FO4 this Nov 10th.

Anyways, if you played Fallout 3 + NV on consoles, you're missing out on some things on the PC side. I have seen both FO3 + NV on my nephew's X360 - and IMHO, the game graphically on the technical side looks like garbage compared to the PC version. If you have a 1080p PC monitor (since the game on PC natively also supports 1080p resolution) and a decent PC, the PC version will look much better! And that is not even w/ installing any sort of PC graphical mods, as well.

Also, PC versions of FO3 + NV support mods. Bethesda often always gives us the SDK for their own games (Elder Scrolls games since Morrowind + Fallout 3; and FO:NV from Obsidian also has a SDK). And there are tons of mods on the PC version - which can drastically change the game, improve the game, keep you wanting to play the game, and whatnot. For FO:NV, there's even an even more Hardcore Difficulty Mod from the lead FO:NV designer Josh E. Sawyer (side note - you must own FO:NV + ALL of the DLC's to run it).

About Spiderweb's Games - they've been in Humble Bundles before:

http://indiegamebundle.wikia.com/wiki/The_Humble_Weekly_Sale:_Spiderweb_Software

Some games were Steam keys, some were only DRM-FREE, some gave both. I can't recall entirely - but I did buy some Tier on that bundle.

Wouldn't surprise me if Spiderweb does another newer SpiderWeb HB, eventually at some point in time.

That's a lot of info, MysterD, thanks. I'll read through that drm-free Steam later on. The truth is my situation is this: I don't have the living space currently to have a desktop and I don't have the money to have a "gaming" laptop, so my newer AAA games are bought on console for the time-being. The PC games I buy right now are either old as hell, or low-req.  At the same time, I have the technical expertise to build a gaming desktop and/or pirate if I really wanted to. I'd rather give money to developers I believe in than pirate.

Neuro5i5, yeah, I pretty much figured gog probably gave higher percentage, but they get a higher volume on Steam, just wondered if there was any data out there.

My cable internet does go down for 2 hours at a time sometimes, and my laptop's wireless adapters are awful (the internal's range has dropped to 10 feet and the external is slow, and they both stop working at times, requiring a reboot).
If you are playing a game and lose your connection, the only problem you'll have is if there is some component of the game that requires the internet (multiplayer, obviously, or cloud saves/leaderboards). You won't lose the ability to continue playing your current game.

You can also choose to go offline and play most of your non internet-dependent (see above) without having to sign into Steam.

Steam really isn't scary. Tip: if you've got a lower-end machine, set the view to Small Mode and you can scroll through your list of games without the graphics-heavy interface.

That's a lot of info, MysterD, thanks. I'll read through that drm-free Steam later on. The truth is my situation is this: I don't have the living space currently to have a desktop and I don't have the money to have a "gaming" laptop, so my newer AAA games are bought on console for the time-being. The PC games I buy right now are either old as hell, or low-req. At the same time, I have the technical expertise to build a gaming desktop and/or pirate if I really wanted to. I'd rather give money to developers I believe in than pirate.

Neuro5i5, yeah, I pretty much figured gog probably gave higher percentage, but they get a higher volume on Steam, just wondered if there was any data out there.
You're welcome.

If you are interested in older games like Fallout 1+2 (since you mentioned them and were looking for them), I hope you already own Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura - which is on GOG.

If you have it - sweet!

And hopefully, if you were missing it - you just saved a few bucks by yesterday and bought it while it was 75% at $1.75 during the GOG Summer Sale. If you don't own it and missed-out - bummer - it's severely underrated. Make sure you catch it in the next sale.

I often prefer to play Arcanum in turn-based mode - i.e. like Fallout 1+2. I wasn't as thrilled w/ its real-time combat mode - i.e. if your stats or level is way under another enemy, you'll get pounced in real-time (b/c they'll often hit you really fast), so you'd have a better chance in turn-based. But, yeah - it's basically a mixture of a Victorian Industrial Revolution era; Steampunk; and even some traditional fantasy elements (magic, elves, dwarves). You should get the Unofficial patches by Drog Black Tooth, if you do play Arcanum. Most Troika games were still buggy, even after their final official patches - and most unofficial patches have fixed them.

So, we're left with what, GMG and Nuuvem for potential big mid-year sales? I'd think GMG should be coming up this week or next as in the past it's been in the beginning of July. Not sure on Nuuvem given the transition it looks like they're going through.

No hard data on this is going to be made available by the platforms for obvious reasons. Valve is notoriously stingy when it comes to making information available but I suspect Neuro5i5 is basing his opinion on the fact that Valve has clearly demonstrated a willingness through the "paid mod" fiasco, trading cards, et cetera, to create ways to enhance monetization of games in its favor while throwing a bone toward the actual developer or publisher. I think CD Projekt actually did post something about their "cut" at one time but a quick search isn't pulling it up.

If you are interested in older games like Fallout 1+2 (since you mentioned them and were looking for them), I hope you already own Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura - which is on GOG. If you have it - sweet!

And hopefully, if you were missing it - you just saved a few bucks by yesterday and bought it while it was 75% at $1.75 during the GOG Summer Sale. If you don't own it and missed-out - bummer - it's severely underrated. Make sure you catch it in the next sale.

I often prefer to play Arcanum in turn-based mode - i.e. like Fallout 1+2. I wasn't as thrilled w/ its real-time combat mode - i.e. if your stats or level is way under another enemy, you'll get pounced in real-time (b/c they'll often hit you really fast), so you'd have a better chance in turn-based. But, yeah - it's basically a mixture of a Victorian Industrial Revolution era; Steampunk; and even some traditional fantasy elements (magic, elves, dwarves). You should get the Unofficial patches by Drog Black Tooth, if you do play Arcanum. Most Troika games were still buggy, even after their final official patches - and most unofficial patches have fixed them.
I see you evangelizing for Arcanum in a big way over the last few pages, but I wasn't that impressed when it came out. I had a "you" copy of it back in the day and it was pretty buggy, but basically the combat really killed it. I couldn't get into it despite the fact that the setting/world were fairly novel for a game of its time. Just my 2p.

For Indies you really want to give the most money to the developer it's always best to try to buy directly from them. Many will still give a Steam key that way and as MysterD mentioned, some sell through Humble widget or store and will give both a Steam key and a DRM free download.

Humble by far gives the most percentage to developers and is transparent about it.

Humble Widget; these are usually on the developer's home page and look like this
ftl_widget_example__1_.png
https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en-us/articles/202742190-Widget-Developer-FAQ

Q: What are the revenue splits?

A: After deductions for payment processor fees (typically around 5%), the net revenue is split 95% to the developer, and 5% to Humble Bundle. VAT is deducted from where applicable.
Humble Store
https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en-us/articles/202742080-Humble-Store-FAQ-For-Developers

Q: What are the revenue splits?
A: Even though the Humble Store isn't pay-what-you-want we still are very adamant about supporting developers and charities. After deductions for payment processor fees (typically around 5%) the net revenue is split 3 ways: 75% to developers, 10% to charity and 15% to Humble Bundle to cover costs associated with hosting the content
The vast majority of indie developers will charge you the same amount that you can generally get their game on Steam or GOG regular price on their web sites. A few may even match a sale going on when you buy direct or have their own sales.

Jeff Vogel of Spiderweb is a bit controversial because he charges more for his games if you buy direct as he considers that a niche market vs Steam/GOG/App stores mass markets.

Oh and on the other points even though others touched on them, Steam's DRM is really not intrusive at all, vast majority of games don't require a constant connection (the page should tell you which ones do) just once briefly to activate and download the game, offline mode works perfectly fine, you can install to as many computers upgrades etc no need to worry about limits. Unless there's additional 3rd party DRM which again is rare and should be listed on the page if so.

If you get Enhanced Steam it will show a really obvious warning if there's additional DRM and also let you know what the lowest price has been.

I wouldn't hold my breath for those old Fallouts to get super cheap now though. Bethesda got the rights to them a while back and they've been rather chintzy with sales of late. I think that $6.79 for the 3 of them is likely as low as you're going to get for them any time soon and GOG doesn't sell them anymore.

Oh and FWIW, I just tried the old Fallout games since I own them on Steam and they will actually run straight from the launcher exe without forcing the Steam client to run so after you download them from Steam you can close the client and just run them that way. Some games on Steam are DRM free even though that's not an advertised feature. It is however something that may be going away soon due to abuse with the new refund policy.

Oh and FWIW, I just tried the old Fallout games since I own them on Steam and they will actually run straight from the launcher exe without forcing the Steam client to run so after you download them from Steam you can close the client and just run them that way. Some games on Steam are DRM free even though that's not an advertised feature. It is however something that may be going away soon due to abuse with the new refund policy.
It won't be going completely away; there's some games that can't have Steam DRM added, like all DOSBox-based games or really old stuff that's just thrown up on Steam without any changes. The devs would have to create a DOSBox fork that requires Steam and that's too much trouble coding and licensing wise (they'd have to make the changes to DOSBox public and Valve would not like that very much.)

bread's done
Back