Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
One place where PC excels in exclusives is strategy/simulation stuff.  Civilization V or VI, Mount & Blade: Warband, Crusader Kings II, Cities: Skylines, Total War, etc.

In RPGs, you have Pillars of Eternity.  Also, I wouldn't discount the value of PC modding for games you've played like Fallout or Skyrim if you're coming from Playstation.

An oldie but a classic would be Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.  You'll probably want a mod for it as well (for graphics if nothing else) which is easy to do.  One of my favorite shooters though.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT:

If we're talking space-sims and one can find an old copy of it - Freelancer's great.

Won't find that on Steam or even GOG, unfortunately. Something needs to be done about that.

It's basically the "Morrowind of space-sims".

For something more hardcore + free-form, EgoSoft's X titles are good.

In particular, X3: Terran Conflict is probably the one out of the club to play, TBH. It's certainly much better on interfaces than X2: The Threat + X3: Reunion.

While I did like X Rebirth, when I played it, it lacked some of the depth that previous X games had going on.
These days for space sims you cant do much better than the X series, or Elite Dangerous. SC, while Im sure will be good eventually, just aint there for playing unless your some hardcore backer, its just not worth it at all at this point. Meanwhile Ive been getting back into elite and its still fun (and still one of the best VR experiences). Though its not for everyone, there is no hand holding or direction what so ever, the first week is spent googling how to do just about everything and what it all means, and after that your on your own to find your own path

Good thing about elite is it doesnt cost much either. It goes on sale every so often or you can usually find the base game at grey-ish sites for ~15$ (or that much during the christmas sale if your lucky). The season pass really isnt necessary to get into it until you get to the point where you really want to do the things it offers, and by then you may be able to get season2 which will include all the season1 content. Then again you can also usually find deals on the commander pack which is base+sp1+skins/goodies for 30-45 which isnt bad considering the cost of the parts seperately

hl_zpsqzobyc3o.jpg

am i missing something or...?

Anyone else have glitch Beholder key revoked?
Yup. Just got the message.

Didn't think it was a glitch though. They ran out of stock of keys initially, and I only got my key a few days later after they restocked. If it was a glitch, surely they had enough time to realize that I wasn't entitled to that key.

*MysterD shrug*

Well it being available for free seemed like a glitch but after they kept adding keys I thought everyone was golden and they had worked something out with the publisher. Obviously I was wrong

I feel like everyone is secretly being trolled by a console-peasant.  We don't have to justify anything to them.  We USED to get games 90% off.  Now we get games 66% off.  That's still better than their B2G1 crap.

Thanks for all the great games. I've already played a lot of them on consoles though lol. Are there any "must play" pc exclusives?

Really though one of the best things about getting a PC is replaying your favorite console games and realizing they're even better than you thought they were when you play them the way they were meant to be played.

Oh, and if you're looking for a transcendent PC experience that you can't find on consoles I recommend taking a trip to Father's Island.

Hmmm... Free to play and on my wishlist, but I don't have any recollection of putting it there. Since it's free, you don't have to be missing it very long. Download and backlog that bad boy!
I sometimes accidentally add free stuff to my wishlist.

It's pretty easy to do when things show up in the discovery queue before they're released and there's no purchase button so it's not entirely clear it'll be free.

I feel like everyone is secretly being trolled by a console-peasant. We don't have to justify anything to them. We USED to get games 90% off. Now we get games 66% off. That's still better than their B2G1 crap.
That and PCs don't really rest on "exclusives". There's no singular entity out there negotiating exclusive PC rights so they can sell more units like Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony does for their consoles. The games that are exclusively on PC are usually because they're smaller titles who didn't seek to make a console port or because they're too complex or processor-heavy to be played on a console with a controller (mainly strat/sim games). There's excellent reasons to game on a PC but a wealth of exclusive AAA titles isn't one of them.

Yogscast box is filled with scorpions who sting you full of sadness and when you complain, they all sing in a choir: "Chaaaaaarrritttyyyy...."

So if you enjoy being poisoned by smug singing scorpions, it's the bundle for you!

Syntax made a good point about the PC library; most exclusives nowadays are smaller and/or niche games. It's hard to think of AAA console-style exclusives that fit your criteria. Most big budget games have been multiplats for years now.

Strengths of PC:
1) Variety. Multiplats, console ports, handheld ports, older PC games, indie games, simulators, RTS, MMO, free-to-play, etc. all on the same platform.

2) Community. People are always optimizing and patching classics, releasing mods, making emulators, picking up the devs' slack for buggy games, and all other kinds of cool stuff (like hacking the Russia-only Halo Online for other regions).

3) Price. Speaks for itself, there are lots of deals if you know where to look-- seasonal Steam sales, bundles, digital game stores for other regions, resellers, etc. Although I will say the same is true of consoles, even if perhaps not to quite the same degree-- something people on here don't always acknowledge. A lot of it comes down to being patient. SW: Battlefront was $59.99 at release last year, $9.99 on Black Friday this year for PC and consoles. Fallout 4 was $9.99 on PC and I believe $19.99 on console. Doom was $19.99 on PC and console.

4) Customizability. A lot of the PC experience can be tailored to fit your needs and budget. Visuals and controls are the two most obvious.

I like story driven games if that helps.
Shadowrun: Dragonfall is one of my favorite games of the last few years. It can regularly be had for $2.99 during Steam sales. If I had to pick out one game to recommend, that would be it.

How come I never see the Steam Deal of the Day on my storefront anymore.  Where is it?  It's never under the 'Specials' panel or the 'Specials' tab either. 

hl_zpsqzobyc3o.jpg

am i missing something or...?
Haha, I kind of remember adding that to my list. Although, I've been treating my wishlist more like a bookmark list lately to keep tabs on anything that looks interesting (but not necessarily buy). Good grief, it looks like my list has ballooned up to 269 lately. :whistle2:

The easter box from earlier this year was actually good IIRC. Not sure they have done a good Holiday Box though. Would probably bite from the UK or EU but they need a lesson in exchange rates.
I thought for sure some CAGs had good luck with a SE holiday bundle last year for Christmas... but maybe it was Easter.

Personally, that new guy who traded the console for a computer should strongly consider this bundle... but for most of us I don't think theirs enough holes in our libraries to justify it. (That said I think their catalog is robust enough that I think any dups could likely be sold at cost pretty easily.)

How come I never see the Steam Deal of the Day on my storefront anymore. Where is it? It's never under the 'Specials' panel or the 'Specials' tab either.
It should be in the specials panel. Maybe you've blacklisted some of the games that have been recent dailies?

It's easy to understand if you've just overlooked it though since it's just highlighted by a slightly lighter blue banner in a sea of homogeneous rectangles.

Personally, I think the person that designed the new Steam storefront should be punched in the mouth.

So this is apropos of nothing Steam-related, but I discovered that my parish (county) library had something new when nosing around the site yesterday. . . downloadable PC games. Apparently something called OnePlay, which is a sort-of-Euro-GameFly-wannabe has some sort of subscription service that libraries can use to provide patrons with free games. There are a number of caveats, including these:

1) Obviously if your library doesn't do this, um, it won't work, so YMMV bigly, as TrumpCat might say.

2) The catalog of approximately 1,500 PC games available is padded with a crapton of grandma games and bundle fodder. Finding the wheat in the chaff can be challenging.

3) The games are downloaded, installed, activated and run through the site's OnePlay client, so if you're married to the idea of Steamworks features like cheevos and cardz and the Steam overlay, well, this isn't for you.

There are a few things that look worthwhile in the scattershot catalog, which is a subset of the stuff available from the site if you get a regular subscription. Just for the heck of it, I installed the client and downloaded Bombshell last night. I tinkered with it for a few minutes this morning. It works as advertised, so if you have an obsession with hidden-object games (Motoki?) or if you're newish to PC gaming or don't buy bundles regularly, you might find one or two things of interest.

I put Randal's Monday, Dead in Bermuda, and LEGO Marvel Superheroes on my list, in case anyone cares.

So this is apropos of nothing Steam-related, but I discovered that my parish (county) library had something new when nosing around the site yesterday. . . downloadable PC games. Apparently something called OnePlay, which is a sort-of-Euro-GameFly-wannabe has some sort of subscription service that libraries can use to provide patrons with free games. There are a number of caveats, including these:
If I wanted to rent games instead of owning them I'd just buy them on Steam.

Otkc1tQ.gif

How come I never see the Steam Deal of the Day on my storefront anymore. Where is it? It's never under the 'Specials' panel or the 'Specials' tab either.
It is for me. It typically shows up as a smaller of the 4x4 boxes next to the bigger Weekly Deals box. You can also always look at the "News" part of Steam as it always lists the Daily Deal there too.

IE today its Hard West:

I7wUymq.jpg

IT CAME FROM SPACE AND ATE OUR BRAINS

V0HNX-3N6B8-LQG3A

HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE 

WYKRA-EDWGN-828C7

Western Press + DLC
G5889-GMVB9-KKDBH 
9WT9T-AVLVY-FB7E2 

Figured it was worth pointing out... We are close to the end of the year and the Transformer games are all on the weekly deals list at 75%-80% off.

They might be getting delisted at the end of the year.

So Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist came out on steam and I just wanted to mention it's a pretty fun game for anyone who played the cards back in the day.
The cons
$20 (plus the outrageous dlc prices for content) picked up on ps4 for ~$7 if I remeber right
3d animations for only select cards. (The issue with this is only big cards are 3d animated when attacking and you can't skip would rather have none it slows down battles and is annoying)
Ban cards can be annouying seeing as campaign doesn't care but online does but not a big deal.

All in all pick it up if it's less than $10 pass at $20

bread's done
Back