Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Couldn't resist opening a Wanderer crate since they're only about a buck at the moment. Got a 5 cent pair of boots. There's the start and end of my gambling with this game.

I always thought it looked like some joke image. Looking for a bigger pic on google reveals it's some ugly christmas sweater meme.

photo.jpg
Wow, that's absolutely hideous... I've never been so happy for CAG's small avatars in my life. :lol:

Couldn't resist opening a Wanderer crate since they're only about a buck at the moment. Got a 5 cent pair of boots. There's the start and end of my gambling with this game.
I can see myself taking some of my "winnings" and buying some of those really cheap clothes to make my character stand out a bit more at some point... but opening the caches themselves? I think they would really have to crash in value for me to consider doing that.

Trying to limit my PUBG talk, I know it was posted as a joke but 5 people liked it so I got to assume some would like to see it limited, but I found an interesting website... Crazy detailed weapon stats, the ability to look up other's (and your own) stats, etc. so I figured I should pass it along.

https://pubg.me/

Cool site.  I found the attachments part most educational since it's not obvious if a compensator is a better/worse choice than a flash hider, etc.  It looks as though the angled grip gives all around better stats than the vertical, for instance (I always went vertical).

The gun stats are interesting as well but very often your gun is just the one you found in that class (rifle, SMG, etc) so you make due.  The AKM may hit harder than the M16 but unless there's an AKM at your feet it's all academic.

I opened a few crates before and always got burned versus just selling them.  Then again, for the pittance the crates are selling for now, I can't feel too bad about it.  Last thing I need is for PUBG to feel like a job where I make a buck an hour grinding and selling crates.

Cool site. I found the attachments part most educational since it's not obvious if a compensator is a better/worse choice than a flash hider, etc. It looks as though the angled grip gives all around better stats than the vertical, for instance (I always went vertical).

The gun stats are interesting as well but very often your gun is just the one you found in that class (rifle, SMG, etc) so you make due. The AKM may hit harder than the M16 but unless there's an AKM at your feet it's all academic.
Truth be told, I was a bit shocked at just how much stats where involved, granted they really shocking thing is the Thompson and a trench coat... Supposedly infinite ammo according to that site. (Granted, thats a gun I'll never see as I don't ever chase air drop crates.)

And, yeah, your right. You've very much at the mercy of RNG. I pretty much just want an AR (with optic) and a shotgun (S12K or a choke) and forgo a handgun anymore unless unarmed. Battles just never come down to it and it takes wait. (Unless you find a silencer then that handgun can be useful.) Ditto for a melee weapon unless its a frying pan but that's just added armor.

Wow, that's absolutely hideous... I've never been so happy for CAG's small avatars in my life. :lol:

I can see myself taking some of my "winnings" and buying some of those really cheap clothes to make my character stand out a bit more at some point... but opening the caches themselves? I think they would really have to crash in value for me to consider doing that.

Trying to limit my PUBG talk, I know it was posted as a joke but 5 people liked it so I got to assume some would like to see it limited, but I found an interesting website... Crazy detailed weapon stats, the ability to look up other's (and your own) stats, etc. so I figured I should pass it along.

https://pubg.me/
Thanks for the link. Here's a map I've been using when we play our matches. The vehicle drops aren't always spawned, but it's nice having it up on my second monitor to see what's around.

https://pubgmap.io/

SE4 and even the older version Sniper Elite 3 are 10x times better in both game play, narrative and shooting mechanic compared to Sniper Ghost Warrior 3.

You can get SE3 for cheap and still come out ahead in term of dollar/entertainment hour
Ive owned both SE3 and 4 since the day they launched. Yes, they are better and far more refined experiences. SGW3 is fine for what it is at $13. Im good with that as I enjoy sniper-centric material and the beta was interesting enough for me to want to play more. Its definitely not a deal that everyone need jump on though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The question I have is, when No Man's Sky ends up as the headliner in a monthly early next year, how much am I gonna be able to get reselling it?

u can try out the Trial Version on uPlay. I was less impressed. To me, the Division was just a functional game. Wildland was more fun for me.
Don't need Trial Version. I already own Division on Uplay.

It's just been backlogged for quite some time.

EDIT:

I should note, when it was in Beta, I did check-out Division; and yes, I liked the Beta Test back then.

I read about Middle Earth: Shadow of War having option of using real money to buy better gear.  While the concept of microtransactions i.e. for loot chests, use of two different currencies i.e. in game and real money is not new, it appears that opinions are being made known.  Alot are saying that microtransactions for cosmetics not a big deal but are now having to pay to avoid the "filler" or "padding" of the game.  New revenue idea for games now i.e. pay to be able to complete faster / better?

The closest thing for me comes in Diablo 3, where I would actually pay for a couple of additional tabs of inventory.  I have yet on seasons to get a tab by unlocking all the requirements.  So, yes, I would pay for a couple of extra stash/inventory tabs vs trying for a season and just play non-season.  Maybe the better thing would be to stop playing Diablo 3 and work on the backlog.

I still think Sniper Elite V2 is the best Sniper Elite game but I won't come down THAT hard on SE4. They're all pretty mediocre though.

Also, I'm not buying this Grimoire meme. A game for aristrocrats? My ass, I've played a decent amount of old school RPGs and they were janky and busted in either direction. Etrian Odyssey already took this game design space and made the combat into something incredibly clever. No way you're gonna convince me some total performative sperg is making something that good without hard evidence.

Aren't all the Sniper Elite games since V2 just the same game but on a different map?
Nah. The sniping itself has gotten better and a more important function of the game with larger and more open maps. V2 was practically a run-n-gun with the SMG rather than a sniping game. The core game is the same (hence it being the Sniper franchise) but the mechanics are better and the maps reflect actual sniping. And, uh, more kill cams I guess.

I happily made $5.50 with my PUBG crates :D

By the way, Torment: Tides of Numenera is on sale at cdkeeys at about $10 if anyone here is interested.

Is The Crew: Calling All Units worth eight bucks? It's 70% off at the moment at GamersGate (8519 BC price here) and I liked the core game. I read this includes Wild Run too, so I don't have to buy that separately.

Yo Noid 2 infuriated me with the slippery platforming and bad looking graphics and me dying a million times. I gave up and felt it wasn't worth it after about 2-3 worlds.

Yo Noid 2 infuriated me with the slippery platforming and bad looking graphics and me dying a million times. I gave up and felt it wasn't worth it after about 2-3 worlds.
This is the first I have heard of Yo Noid 2. :lol: To be fair, Yo Noid wasn't a very good game 26 years ago.

I read about Middle Earth: Shadow of War having option of using real money to buy better gear. While the concept of microtransactions i.e. for loot chests, use of two different currencies i.e. in game and real money is not new, it appears that opinions are being made known. Alot are saying that microtransactions for cosmetics not a big deal but are now having to pay to avoid the "filler" or "padding" of the game. New revenue idea for games now i.e. pay to be able to complete faster / better?

The closest thing for me comes in Diablo 3, where I would actually pay for a couple of additional tabs of inventory. I have yet on seasons to get a tab by unlocking all the requirements. So, yes, I would pay for a couple of extra stash/inventory tabs vs trying for a season and just play non-season. Maybe the better thing would be to stop playing Diablo 3 and work on the backlog.
Inmate mentioned this the other day and I read a Kotaku article about it yesterday. I have two problems with this:

1) This is pretty much an MMO thing that people have started cramming into single-player (or fundamentally single-player) games. It wasn't exactly a welcome trend in the MMO space and it's not a great thing here either.

2) The idea is basically, again, that you have two tiers of customers purchasing your product--1) premium customers who shell out extra money ($120?) for your $60 game in order to get the premium experience of skipping a lot of filler content [think Mass Effect 2 planet-scanning]; and 2) regular schmoes who are too poor or too dumb to spend more money and thus must spend extra time in order to complete the same experience.

Maybe # 2 is the wrong way to look at it exactly, but the concept of having a real-money store that allows you to purchase items specifically for the purpose of skipping parts of the game suggests a foreknowledge on the part of the devs that parts of the game are tedious and not things people will actually want to do. So you tell me, is that poor game design or working-as-intended? Either way it bodes ill for consumers. When I buy a game, I expect to get the whole thing, except for future DLC, but now you can expect your games to have hidden costs in the form of "must-have" in-game store purchases. Personally, I think it's a good way for Monolith and WB to piss down the backs of would-be customers of a relatively-new franchise and tell them it's raining.

I can see "pay to skip" microtransactions in multiplayer games since you are in competition with other players. Doesn't mean I WANT them but I can see the justification for it.

In a single player game, how is it anything besides saying "Our game sucks and is boring but you can pay to make it marginally less boring by skipping some of the boring garbage content we stuffed it with"? If you're making a single player game and thinking "Boy, people are going to want to pay money to skip this shit" then something is seriously wrong with your game design.

42GB patch coming for Six Siege (26GB if you don't have the Ultra HD patch).
New operators finally or just more "health" stuff?

I can see "pay to skip" microtransactions in multiplayer games since you are in competition with other players. Doesn't mean I WANT them but I can see the justification for it.

In a single player game, how is it anything besides saying "Our game sucks and is boring but you can pay to make it marginally less boring by skipping some of the boring garbage content we stuffed it with"? If you're making a single player game and thinking "Boy, people are going to want to pay money to skip this shit" then something is seriously wrong with your game design.

New operators finally or just more "health" stuff?
I think it has more to do with impatience than a poor game mechanic people want to avoid. Even if there was some insane grind associated with getting that stuff without paying you could probably avoid it completely and never miss a beat.

So we got to a point where you have to pay extra for additional content (DLC) and now we're going towards a point where we have to pay extra to skip content?  Seems like an over-correction.

I think it has more to do with impatience than a poor game mechanic people want to avoid. Even if there was some insane grind associated with getting that stuff without paying you could probably avoid it completely and never miss a beat.
Pro-tip: Make your content fun to play so it's not a "grind" and you're not impatient to skip it.

I don't know. I read the details and it seems to me as though this is a "pay-to-get-on-a-level-playing-field-with-a-guy-who-spent-a-lot-more-time-playing-than-you" system, which is sort-of a single-player equivalent to the conventional and much-maligned "pay-to-win." If it were just about getting a specific piece of loot or a specific type of orc, that would be one thing, but this appears to be more along the lines of getting a sufficiently-powerful army to complete certain game objectives, which is something categorically different.

Pro-tip: Make your content fun to play so it's not a "grind" and you're not impatient to skip it.
It's been a few days since I read an article on it but I'm pretty sure its to buy loot boxes, which is RNG based.

It's certainly based upon the idea that people will pay for convenience but you could drop a bunch of money on it and get nothing.

I don't like it, I certainly won't buy it at release, but I suspect when and if I get to it it likely won't hinder my fun. Then again I like grinding for loot. (Borderlands, Diablo, The Division, and/or Marvel Heroes, etc.)

But if it is horrendous and hampers/damages the game than the review's will tell me that long before I would get it.

All that said I hope it hurts their preorders and the next publisher/developer thinks twice Bouton trying this shut again.

It's been a few days since I read an article on it but I'm pretty sure its to buy loot boxes, which is RNG based.

It's certainly based upon the idea that people will pay for convenience but you could drop a bunch of money on it and get nothing.

I don't like it, I certainly won't buy it at release, but I suspect when and if I get to it it likely won't hinder my fun. Then again I like grinding for loot. (Borderlands, Diablo, The Division, and/or Marvel Heroes, etc.)

But if it is horrendous and hampers/damages the game than the review's will tell me that long before I would get it.

All that said I hope it hurts their preorders and the next publisher/developer thinks twice about trying this shut again.

Otherwise

1. Wait for it to be in a bundle, so you don't feel bad about stopping playing it when you get to the sucky part.

or

2. Wait for the ultra uber game of the year edition for $5 to $10 that has all the DLC, so you can skip the sucky part.

All that said I hope it hurts their preorders and the next publisher/developer thinks twice about trying this shut again.
You're basically buying gear, points and your orc army via random crates. Yeah, you can get them via grinding as well but they're hoping that enough people will say "This grinding sucks" to spend extra cash. The obvious issue is that it incentivizes making the grind onerous so more people will choose to pay to skip it. It's like app games -- no one says "Let's make sure Cookie Kickers is a fun and rewarding experience without spending a dime!", they make it a pain in the ass and people defend it with "But you don't NEED to spend money to win..." I expect WB will try to thread the needle here and not make it TOO cumbersome while trying to gently push people into dropping some extra bucks.

The basic concept of grind skipping isn't entirely new (Sleeping Dogs had the "Get 100% Rep" pack) but this takes it a step further in making it a pay-per-roll microtransaction vs a single DLC and making the results random to keep you coming back for more.

But I'm mainly speaking in theory. Given Shadow of Mordor's permanent "$4 for everything, please buy me" status I'll be in no rush to buy the sequel and should have plenty of time to read reviews, etc before getting it on accident in a bundle.

bread's done
Back