Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Hello all - SO after over 20 years of console gaming, I have decided to go back to my roots as a PC gamer but this week, and a little bit of the weekend, proved that this task was easier said than done.  

Let me start by what has got me interested in going back to PC in the first place:  I always wanted to return however my console gaming mind was just too lazy to figure out all the ins and outs of PC building/purchasing.  When the Xbox One X was announced I thought console gamers could really have an edge - it being the most powerful system and all.  I purchased the Xbox One X day one and I was not all that impressed (read my initial impressions and update here: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/365585-xbox-one-x-thoughts-have-came-to-a-conclusionat-least-for-now/) and even though I did eventually appreciate what it was after playing Wolfenstein II, the feeling of being cheated....a little....fell upon me when I started playing The Witcher 2.  Reason being was because as excited as I was for the backwards compatibility support, it still did not "enhance" the older games as I felt this monster system should have. 

I watched a "Let's play..." video of The Witcher 2 and I couldn't believe how good it looked!  It was presented as it should have been.  That was last week and then Pro Day came.  I decided enough was enough and took a risk - I traded my X1X, 2 Xbox 360s and one PS3, taking advantage of the extra 40% trade in deal for consoles.  Oh, and I saw that GameStop sells gaming PCs so to me this was a no brainer.

Now at first I only wanted a PC that was just as good, if not better than a X1X because I knew that getting such a rig would also make older games look better than anything the console cold do.  I had my eyes set on the PC I wanted: 

https://www.gamestop.com/pc/pc-hardware/cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-gxi11020cpg-w-intel-i7-8700-32ghz-desktop-gaming-computer/156184 

Then I did some more research and found out that if I wanted to do 4K gaming on PC, I would need a GTX 1080i.  SO, I was all set to purchase my new rig.  I knew which one I REALLY wanted: 

https://www.gamestop.com/pc/pc-hardware/cyberpowerpc-battlebox-ultimate-liquid-cool-slc8840cpg-with-intel-i7-8700k-37ghz-gaming-computer/155632

Mind you at the time I decided it was Tuesday - I get my phone, go to GameStop.com and boom!  The rig I wanted is out of stock.  Ok so I start looking for other PC's on the website with Intel i7 8800 K and a GTX 1080ti and what do you know!?  All are sold out!  These were just in stock the day before but now all PC's rocking 1080 ti are OOS.

So now I have all of this credit - $1100, just sitting.  To make matters worse, I read about the global graphics card shortage which might have contributed to these 1080 ti PCs all of a sudden flying off the shelves - even Amazon.com has sold out of the above model.  

I decided to call GS to see when they will have more in stock and they said they didn't know.  So I called Cyberpower and asked them when they were going to restock GS and they said they have not gotten any orders from GS.  Needless to say this whole process is frustrating but rewarding at the same time.  Frustrating because of the shortage but rewarding because with all of the research I've done on PCs these past few days, I may never go back to Xbox again - the though of it makes me feel cheap. 

I suppose I'm "woke" now because PC gaming is like another world compared to console gaming and I've only scratched the surface.  It makes you get involved with the entire process and I can only imagine how much sweeter it will be once I have my dream rig and I'm sitting down and starting The Witcher 2 all over again - this time, the way it's meant to be played.

Last edited by a moderator:
H: Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
W: $1100 GS credit

Seriously though I see some PC's that say add to cart on GS, I cant believe I just looked at PCs on GS.com, I see a couple with a 1080 in stock that should work for you.  

did you tell them you had a powerup card?

Jesus christ you traded in four consoles to Gamestop in order to buy a fraction of pre-built gaming PC from Gamestop?  

2018 sucks.  These cryptocurrency shenanigans can go to hell.  There hasn't been a worse time this century to try and build a new gaming pc or buy some of its integral components.  Sales by Corsair, Logitech, Razer, and the other peripheral makers must really be suffering too.  I wonder how all the major players in the tech manufacturing industry feel about this stuff.  Something has got to give. 

Jesus christ you traded in four consoles to Gamestop in order to buy a fraction of pre-built gaming PC from Gamestop?

2018 sucks. These cryptocurrency shenanigans can go to hell. There hasn't been a worse time this century to try and build a new gaming pc or buy some of its integral components. Sales by Corsair, Logitech, Razer, and the other peripheral makers must really be suffering too. I wonder how all the major players in the tech manufacturing industry feel about this stuff. Something has got to give.
Yeah, that's crazy. I wouldn't trade all of that console stuff in to get $1100 or so off a crazy PC. Nobody needs to do all kinds of trade-in shenanigans to drop around $2000 worth of stuff or so on a PC just to do 4K. 4K isn't even really necessary. Maxing-out stuff isn't even necessary at high res's like that; it's overkill right now. 1080 Ti (and most other cards, for that matter) is so overpriced w/ the DDR4 + DDR5 RAM shortages and the crytocurrency non-sense at such a $100+ premium, it ain't even funny.

1080p maxed-out or 1440p at decent settings should be just fine for most. Heck, if you want to max-out, 1440p is fine.

32MB of RAM is crazy. I have 16GB myself. None of my games at Medium to High settings at 1440p or Medium for 4K really are eating up even more than 12GB of RAM, from my experience. While having a 4K monitor and loving all this extra space on my desktop is awesome - I can't run most games well enough at 4K with my GTX 970 (mostly just MKX and WWE games since there's not much going on in those and it's possible), so I normally go for 1440p...and 1440p is wonderful.

One could do fine w/ getting a PC around $600-1500 these days anyways (Depending on if you do 1080p, 1440p, or want to do 4K but don't max-out stuff), if you just catch a sale at Microcenter, Newegg, Fry's or somewhere.

Regardless, if one wants to drop all that $ on that - hey, more power to that person! Its might be overkill and cost an insane premium, but at least I guess you're going to get an amazing PC gaming experience.

Okay, but just buy a new computer then.

I know spoder already mentioned it, but jeeeeeee-sus, I didn't realize how bad the FFVI mobile port looked. Why is it so stupidly ugly? What would it take for Squeenix to realize their PS ports did astoundingly well and they should just release the original versions with Steam functionality? How did they think something that looks like budget RPG Maker garbage would be a suitable PC port for such a revered IP?

ss_233f01a924b77cb360ef4fcf60fbdd953a36ba7e.600x338.jpg

I know spoder already mentioned it, but jeeeeeee-sus, I didn't realize how bad the FFVI mobile port looked. Why is it so stupidly ugly? What would it take for Squeenix to realize their PS ports did astoundingly well and they should just release the original versions with Steam functionality? How did they think something that looks like budget RPG Maker garbage would be a suitable PC port for such a revered IP?
It's a shame that one of my favorite games of all time has been given nothing but terrible ports and "remakes.". As far as I know the best way to play it still is the original version with ffward toggle options.

I'm now scared to ask/hope for another attempt after trying to play the new Secret of Mana.

Yeah, that's crazy. I wouldn't trade all of that console stuff in to get $1100 or so off a crazy PC.
The problem is partially GPU costs, RAM, etc and also because he's locked into buying a PC from GameStop which is just reselling boutique computers. If he had $1,100 cash in his pocket, he could do much better. There's been numerous deals in the last month through Dell/Alienware, HP, etc for systems cost maybe $100 more than the current street price of the GPU.

However, since $1,100 is what he has and GameStop is where he has to spend it, I would go for this computer with an i7-8700, 16GB RAM and a 1070Ti with 8GB. The processor is new generation Coffee Lake and will last you a good while, plus it uses the new socket layout so you'll be likely able to upgrade for a while (though I doubt you'd need to). The 1070 Ti is a very capable GPU. Or, alternately, this system uses an AMD Ryzen 5 processor but comes with a 1080. Since the i7-8700 is likely overkill for gaming anyway, it's a fair trade (and the Ryzen 5 1600x is a sharp processor in its own right). Anyway, the GameStop inventory search is crap for PC systems so I'm going to stop flipping through pages now.

Another thing to note is that the new generation of Nvidia cards will be out soon-ish which may affect price and availability. It seems unlikely to drive the prices down because there's no inventory glut of "old" cards but it may make some of them more available for a time. Plus it means that you can buy a decent system with a current gen processor and very good GPU now and worry about upgrading the GPU to a whole new generation down the road, jumping over the 1080Ti completely. That makes more sense (to me) than a $2,300 system.

But it's your money and you'll be the one looking at it. Maybe you have an extra grand you're comfortable parting with above and beyond your store credit. In any event, cool that you're excited about the prospect of getting your first gaming rig and took the time to read up on everything and know just enough to be dangerous ;)

However, since $1,100 is what he has and GameStop is where he has to spend it, I would go for this computer with an i7-8700, 16GB RAM and a 1070Ti with 8GB. The processor is new generation Coffee Lake and will last you a good while, plus it uses the new socket layout so you'll be likely able to upgrade for a while (though I doubt you'd need to). The 1070 Ti is a very capable GPU. Or, alternately, this system uses an AMD Ryzen 5 processor but comes with a 1080. Since the i7-8700 is likely overkill for gaming anyway, it's a fair trade (and the Ryzen 5 1600x is a sharp processor in its own right). Anyway, the GameStop inventory search is crap for PC systems so I'm going to stop flipping through pages now.
The other problem is that it's GameStop, and, just as he already discovered, odds that what their website says about store inventory is accurate are very poor indeed.

Check this thread - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=149946772

Tons of advice there on how to get FO3 going...as with most Bethesda games, it has issues.

Good luck.
I had a lot of issues with Fallout 3. I'm still convinced that it broke one of my old computers. Fortunately, New Vegas behaved much better, and, frankly, was better in pretty much every way.

Battlefront isn't a satisfying shooting experience. You should join the Army.
I decided that my backlog didn't justify 60% off at this point in time. Also, I got a deferment for bone spurs.

The problem is partially GPU costs, RAM, etc and also because he's locked into buying a PC from GameStop which is just reselling boutique computers.
He could also look for GS -> BBY movers and convert some/all of that sum to ebay gc's. I've done this in the past to get new pc components off newegg's ebay store.

I'm pretty sure GS opens the PCs so the employees can take them home and try them out.  Then they put a sticker back on the thing and sell it to you as new.  Plus, you're lucky if the employees don't pull out the parts and sell you the case bare-bones.

Speaking about console gaming. I went to Target yesterday because I saw some peeps saying they were able to get a nintendo switch game for 15 bucks by price matching the online price and stacking a coupon when Target's policy actually says you can only price match OR use the coupon. Just for the record, I didn't even know the full name of the game but heck I'm dumb and we live for our backlog. I went into the gaming section, see a dude labeling stuff, ask him I want to buy a game, point to the game that I don't even know the full name, and dude says "Oh Azure Striker Gunvolt Striker Pack, man I should've waited to buy it." That moment was when I knew I was not leaving Target with a $15 bucks game. Dude told me he couldn't do the online price match and use the coupon. And for the record, dude's fingernails were at least 1 inch long.

Message of the story: stick to PC gaming.

I'm pretty sure GS opens the PCs so the employees can take them home and try them out. Then they put a sticker back on the thing and sell it to you as new. Plus, you're lucky if the employees don't pull out the parts and sell you the case bare-bones.
I actually went to a GameStop the other day looking for something that the website said was in the store's inventory. I asked the guy behind the counter and he said they didn't have it. I told him the website said they did. Then he told me that they actually did have it, but he looked at it that morning and it was broken. I almost told him to go get it so that I could see it for myself. I probably should have.

You know, some of those GS employees will bend over backwards to help you and some of them are shady as sh*t, and you never quite know what kind you'll end up with when you walk in.

I actually went to a GameStop the other day looking for something that the website said was in the store's inventory. I asked the guy behind the counter and he said they didn't have it. I told him the website said they did. Then he told me that they actually did have it, but he looked at it that morning and it was broken. I almost told him to go get it so that I could see it for myself. I probably should have.

You know, some of those GS employees will bend over backwards to help you and some of them are shady as sh*t, and you never quite know what kind you'll end up with when you walk in.
Always do a hold for pickup when dealing with Gamestop if you can. Success rates vary so much store to store on inventory I'd rather get the FU email than drive somewhere.

I still remember during on of those 4/$10 sale type things I went to a Gamestop, and everything felt dirty with those cases even for newer PS4 games. Also didn't see one game listed online but available. I was just grossed out and walked out and blotted that out from my mind.

Yeah, that's crazy. I wouldn't trade all of that console stuff in to get $1100 or so off a crazy PC. Nobody needs to do all kinds of trade-in shenanigans to drop around $2000 worth of stuff or so on a PC just to do 4K. 4K isn't even really necessary. Maxing-out stuff isn't even necessary at high res's like that; it's overkill right now. 1080 Ti (and most other cards, for that matter) is so overpriced w/ the DDR4 + DDR5 RAM shortages and the crytocurrency non-sense at such a $100+ premium, it ain't even funny.

1080p maxed-out or 1440p at decent settings should be just fine for most. Heck, if you want to max-out, 1440p is fine.

32MB of RAM is crazy. I have 16GB myself. None of my games at Medium to High settings at 1440p or Medium for 4K really are eating up even more than 12GB of RAM, from my experience. While having a 4K monitor and loving all this extra space on my desktop is awesome - I can't run most games well enough at 4K with my GTX 970 (mostly just MKX and WWE games since there's not much going on in those and it's possible), so I normally go for 1440p...and 1440p is wonderful.

One could do fine w/ getting a PC around $600-1500 these days anyways (Depending on if you do 1080p, 1440p, or want to do 4K but don't max-out stuff), if you just catch a sale at Microcenter, Newegg, Fry's or somewhere.

Regardless, if one wants to drop all that $ on that - hey, more power to that person! Its might be overkill and cost an insane premium, but at least I guess you're going to get an amazing PC gaming experience.
Geez MysterD, make up your mind. You tell one guy to drop $1000 on a new laptop, but you're freaking out at this guy dropping that much on a desktop. WHICH ONE IS IT?

And yes, he traded in 4 consoles, but it was 2 PS3s and 1 360 in the mix so it's not like it was all next gen stuff.

Geez MysterD, make up your mind. You tell one guy to drop $1000 on a new laptop, but you're freaking out at this guy dropping that much on a desktop. WHICH ONE IS IT?

And yes, he traded in 4 consoles, but it was 2 PS3s and 1 360 in the mix so it's not like it was all next gen stuff.
Depends...sometimes he's GOOD Toaster...sometimes BAD Toaster.....

Newegg has Warhammer: Vermintide 2 pre-order (digital code) for $22.99 w/ promo code EMCPSPR62.

Just posting in case someone wants to go fakey and call a wallet audible.

March Humble Bundle!

Along with Dark Souls III + 1 DLC and Overgrowth

You get....

Lost Castle

Splasher

Aviary Attorney

Last Day of June

Holy Potatoes We're In Space!

Drawkanoid (Humble Exclusive)

And next months biggies are

Deux Ex Mankind Divided

God Eater 2 Rage Burst

Mafia III

Already own Aviary Attorney :(. At least I already played it. Wanted HPAWS. Sold DS3 for 5 keys. I'll call it a 5/10.

April looking strong.

I ultimately decided to pass on March's monthly...I bought the one with Dark Souls 2 and haven't played it yet so I can wait on DS3.  I was very close to buying Deus Ex: MD (w/ season pass) last night with Steam's current sale because finishing up the Deus Ex bundle got me 85% off everything I was missing for about $10.

But the April Monthly will do just fine.  That's a great package if you don't have any of it!

Update to the Target saga: went in to that same Target because they have a Starbucks, but more importantly, I felt that I can waste money on something else other than videogames. Just out of curiosity I checked the videogames aisle. Not only did I see 1 inch nail dude there, but he even told me that he called a buddy of his to go and buy the remaining copies of that switch game I was trying to purchase the day before.

I swear Nintendo fans are the worst.

That's it, I'm done with console gaming.

On a brighter note, chick at Starbucks didn't scan my app correctly and I wasn't charged for caffeinated water.

And that humble bundle sucks.

Update to the Target saga: went in to that same Target because they have a Starbucks, but more importantly, I felt that I can waste money on something else other than videogames. Just out of curiosity I checked the videogames aisle. Not only did I see 1 inch nail dude there, but he even told me that he called a buddy of his to go and buy the remaining copies of that switch game I was trying to purchase the day before.

On a brighter note, chick at Starbucks didn't scan my app correctly and I wasn't charged for caffeinated water.

I know right !? Dealing with people is the worst.

Shopping at target for vidja games is like shopping at GS for peesees.
Target clearances are great, if you can get there before el hoardo does.. which is why I stopped bothering.

You should feel terrible if the Starbucks chick was cute. If she was cute you should've used that opportunity to correct the mistake and ask for her number. Afterward, sell her number to GBK cuz I heard he's interested. Easy profit.

lol "el hoardo".  He's a mythical beast monster like the Yeti or the Wendigo, being kept alive through storytellers recounting CAG lore. 

I used to see El Hoardos when Barnes and Noble clearance used to reach $2. One time I went in and some person literally pushed everything off of the tables into her bags. Was pretty horrible and I just usurped her by charging the second table and picking up the one $2 board game I wanted.

Also Starbuck's chicks are a good thing. You should have said "M'lady," Tipped your Fedora and stammered until you pointed out your receipt being wrong and she smiles and says "Thanks!" and you just scream, "Number!" and breath heavily until you walk away quickly. Or you could have just did what Spoder said.

serious gaming question here

Anyone else fakeybro and pre order battletech?  Probably showing my age to all you youngsters but I loved the board game way back and loved mechcommander as well.

I havent been this excited for a game since battlefront 2!

Anybody got a laptop desk recommendation? I use mine only in bed, in chairs, or on the floor so rolling without one isn't great. The one I have now has done OK, but the built-in mouse pad has started detaching and bubbling... which is suboptimal. Online reviews aren't so helpful.

15.6" laptop, wireless mouse

Anybody got a laptop desk recommendation? I use mine only in bed, in chairs, or on the floor so rolling without one isn't great. The one I have now has done OK, but the built-in mouse pad has started detaching and bubbling... which is suboptimal. Online reviews aren't so helpful.

15.6" laptop, wireless mouse
Your lap or your bed. It's a laptop, man. Optical mice work on all flat surfaces.

Think of all the pizzas you could buy with the money you'll save from not buying a desk.

I'm always about the "bang-for-your-buck" road. And usually, that's the middle road.

I think you'll normally get much better "Bang-for-your-buck" in the $600-1500 range for laptops or desktops - just take your pick on whether you are just going to use a desktop to let the PC just sit there or if you're gonna travel a lot then you should go with a laptop. You'll have to decide if you're fine w/ 1080p or 1440p in that range, for the most part - and if you're looking for upgrade room (or not). You can do real good, if you try to catch a sale or a clearance sale - as there seems to be at least decent to really good deals of late everywhere.

I think the 1080 Ti and higher counts of RAM (i.e. 32GB or so) are ridiculously overpriced & unnecessary. Currently, chances are you'll never use up 32GB of RAM on one game that you're running (even at 4K) and you probably really don't need 4K 60fps at max settings from 1080 Ti. I do feel 1440p is just fine, if you are looking to just try to out-do what the normal versions of the XB1 and PS4 can do. Just my opinion.

But. hey; if someone wants to spend all their $$ on it and have the best experience possible, for the time being of course, since PC hardware changes so much - well, you're going to still have an amazing experience w/ PC gaming.

I'd be worried about the laptop melting the cheese.

It's overheated on the bed before, although it takes some doing. Still, I feel like a typing game (Epistory) should probably not trigger that. Also the mouse sticks to the chair. I may just cut the loose material on the pad and reglue it for now.

I'd be worried about the laptop melting the cheese.

It's overheated on the bed before, although it takes some doing. Still, I feel like a typing game (Epistory) should probably not trigger that. Also the mouse sticks to the chair. I may just cut the loose material on the pad and reglue it for now.
Turn down your CPU and GPU settings. Don't run it at full blast. Run it at something more stable. It's what I do on my laptop, to keep it cool and at more normal temps. Honestly, it's worth it, if you want it to last.

You can do stuff like that via Windows 10 itself, through a 3rd party program like MSI Afterburner, or whatever.

I think the 1080 Ti and higher counts of RAM (i.e. 32GB or so) are ridiculously overpriced & unnecessary. Currently, chances are you'll never use up 32GB of RAM on one game that you're running (even at 4K) and you probably really don't need 4K 60fps at max settings from 1080 Ti. I do feel 1440p is just fine, if you are looking to just try to out-do what the normal versions of the XB1 and PS4 can do. Just my opinion.
That's the sort of loser talk I'd expect from a guy with a gimped video card and 3.5GB of VRAM :shame:

Owning a laptop is like admitting that your wife or mom won't you use the living room. You need to alpha up, urinate in a corner of the room and claim it as a man. Put your real man desktop there and defy that woman to tell you "No".

Owning a laptop is like admitting that your wife or mom won't you use the living room. You need to alpha up, urinate in a corner of the room and claim it as a man. Put your real man desktop there and defy that woman to tell you "No".
But what if you own both a gaming desktop with a Cooler Master HAF 932 case and also a gaming laptop?

bread's done
Back