Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
So - with my brand spanking new Vega 64 that I bought used off eBay running OK, I got a deal on one of the AMD game bundles off ebay. But trying to redeem the code, the AMD rewards site is saying it doesn't recognize that I have one of the appropriate cards: AMD Radeon RX Vega, AMD Radeon RX 580, or AMD Radeon RX 570.

I contacted AMD support about the issue and provided screenshots of my AMD Radeon Settings with the Vega and my device manager showing the card as well. They are asking me for a receipt for the purchase of the card and a copy or scan of the voucher. I don't know if the receipt for the card off eBay used will qualify me, and the guy I bought the voucher from only has codes, and not a voucher to scan.

So I'm looking for help from someone with one of the required GPUs OR someone interested in buying the code from me. Send me a PM if you can help.

Alternatively, if there is anyone with any knowledge of why my GPU isn't being detected and how to fix this - let me know.

Thanks!
I guess that's AMD drivers, Catalyst Control, and whatnot at their finest.

All jokes aside though - that really sucks that the card couldn't recognize your card. Hope you can get matters straightened-out and all.

My main issue with the scenario is why pay $295 for a used card when you could get a new one with full warranty for $350? That part doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather pay the extra to have the piece of mind. Plus, there's still the slight chance EVGA puts the 1080s on fire sale (limited units) like they did the 980. Most everyone missed out on those, but they did have a few for $200 when the 980s were being phased out and this was during the mining craze.
Because that's 20% more, the used one will be just fine, and the card I purchased still has 2 1/2 years of warranty.

If money was no object, hell, I would have bought something nicer.

EDIT:
Also those $409 cards were not up until late in the afternoon. They weren't there when I made my purchase. EVGA sold through all those $429 1080s as well as their $660 Ti's. They are gone again now too.

Of course I was looking for a brand new 1080 for around $300. I have been looking for that for three months. It's not happening. The new cards are expensive as fuck, and like Syntax said once earlier, the prices on the 1080s and the 1080 Ti's are only likely to go up again soon. Especially considering the graphical power measurements of the 2080s; outside of raytracing they are like a 5% upgrade. Those bargain basement prices simply aren't happening unless you catch a crazy flash sale, and midweek madness has been dogshit for four weeks straight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because that's 20% more, the used one will be just fine, and the card I purchased still has 2 1/2 years of warranty.

If money was no object, hell, I would have bought something nicer.

EDIT:
Also those $409 cards were not up until late in the afternoon. They weren't there when I made my purchase. EVGA sold through all those $429 1080s as well as their $660 Ti's. They are gone again now too.

Of course I was looking for a brand new 1080 for around $300. I have been looking for that for three months. It's not happening. The new cards are expensive as fuck, and like Syntax said once earlier, the prices on the 1080s and the 1080 Ti's are only likely to go up again soon. Those bargain basement prices simply aren't happening unless you catch a crazy flash sale, and midweek madness has been dogshit for four weeks straight.
If you still have those 2.5 years of warranty left then you're set. Nothing to worry about there.

Yep, didn't see that part. So long as it's in the warranty period it doesn't matter. Just that it's a risk for whoever you sell it to 2+ years later.

Even though I called it "the worst advice I've gotten since...", I did partially look into what FoxAss said (perhaps that can count as an apology) and am pursuing the AMD Raise the Game promo. Found someone selling the code/voucher and trying to get them to activate it on my AMD rewards account. Time will tell if I'm playing AssGreece "300" day one.

Even though I called it "the worst advice I've gotten since...", I did partially look into what FoxAss said (perhaps that can count as an apology) and am pursuing the AMD Raise the Game promo. Found someone selling the code/voucher and trying to get them to activate it on my AMD rewards account. Time will tell if I'm playing AssGreece "300" day one.
Just give me the info and I'll do it for you.

"Immersive sim" is one of the stupidest and meaningless genre names ever. It's essentially "First person game where you do stuff".
I have to disagree, as it helps differentiate games from all of the non-immersive sims and also all of the immersive not-sims so really i'm not sure what your beef is

I think I was aiming for Nancy Sue, but kept thinking Nancy Drew, but didn't want it to be too obvious of a lie, so Nancy Lou came out for some reason.

january---nancy-dougherty.jpg

And all the Who's down in Whoville weren't bothered a bit

For they never saw The Pinch in the tree where he'd sit

Up there in the dark, on a long woolly branch
He'd flash his Pinch grin as he undid his Pinch pants

Nancy Lou slept nude, her bare zummers in view

And if he was lucky, he could see her gootch too

He'd sneedle his nizzards, he'd yuzz out his wumbus

And who would've known? Not a single among us

It wasn't until the authorities received an anonymous call

That The Pinch was caught, his zatz-it three sizes too small

And it was finally known that this villain guffing up in a tree

Was none other than the local nerd, DD83!

New coin shop game on Chrono.  I, Hope.  Looks interesting, naturally I used coins on some stuff lately just because I didn't expect anything better to show up so I don't have enough.  Guess I'll watch for this one in a bundle.

New coin shop game on Chrono. I, Hope. Looks interesting, naturally I used coins on some stuff lately just because I didn't expect anything better to show up so I don't have enough. Guess I'll watch for this one in a bundle.
It's a cute little platformer about cancer. I got a free copy from the dev. He's a nice guy.

I, Hope looks decent, although I am saving my coins for Earthfall. It has good trade value on Barter, so whether I keep it or not, it looks to be a decent use of coins. I do expect myself to not have such luck when/if I put it on Barter. Currently scratching my head at some of the completed trades involving this game over there, including this and Distrust for Nier Automata!!

I missed the ebay coupon by about 2 hours. $365 for a brand new evga 1080 ftw (maybe $530 for 1080ti) would be too good to pass up. Nvidia's price games for the 2080 etc. are to up their profits for the quarter and help push the excess 10 series cards. It will be interesting to see how long the AIB's and retailers hold out before price cuts. By past history, the 2060 won't be out for 2-4 months. I'd guess at a minimum next January. The 2070 isn't due until early October so we won't have actual reviews till then.

Also, good luck on getting the game codes. Nvidia and AMD started making it harder a year or so ago. They felt hurt and cheated by the grey market allowing people to sell games they didn't want or already had to get an even better deal on a card. EVGA is/was offering a free copy of Destiny 2 with many of their 1070/80/80tis. Thats $12-20 off at best, just give me the price cut you cheapskates.

Another day, so another random Steam game picker game. Today it choose Upside Down.

Time Spent: About 7 minutes.

Game Progress: Finished 9 levels and got stuck and frustrated in the 10th.

Graphics: Very basic graphics. Not ugly really, but really flash style looking without decent animations or such. 5/10

Sound: The noises are almost nonexistent. You get some for switching gravity and some for touching stuff. That's about it. There is some very basic generic sounding music as well. It sounds cheerful. 4/10

Story: None. Just has a level select screen. 0/10

Gameplay/Fun Factor: This is very obviously a ripoff of VVVVVV. You switch gravity and touch things to get past obstacles to finish each level. It surprisingly is rated very positive on Steam. I was kind of unimpressed honestly. Also the controls for this are very bad. I rage quitted on a level because one part had vines you had to keep switching gravity to get past. I couldn't do it quickly, as I would always hit the vine and die. I had to do it slowly and many times the stick on the Xbox 360 controller would push me too fair into the vine. No precision at all over 40 levels of basic action. It's pretty bad.  4/10

Conclusion: Overall I feel you should just play VVVVV or some other gravity switching platforming game. This is low quality and was bundle fodder, I'm sure. I wouldn't activate a game like this today. Never buy this one!

I barely played Upside Down, so I also decided to play one other random game. The random Steam game picker choose Point Perfect.

Time Spent: About 10 minutes.

Game Progress: Played through the 3 random levels it chooses 4 or 5 times.

Graphics: Pretty good old school graphics. I feels like an old school arcade game. 7/10

Sound: The sounds for this also sound like they came from an old school arcade game. Lots of shooting and blowing things up noises. Alright chiptune music as well, but it's nothing amazing. 6/10

Story: None. It's an arcade game that just shows you the player looking at a screen and playing some random space games I guess. 1/10

Gameplay/Fun Factor: Another positively rated Steam game that has many negatives. In this game you play a mouse pointer and have to click and drag to cover up enemies in a green space to shoot them. If you drag too far it turns red and does nothing. This is frustrating as heck as any enemies/bullets/random debris will take a life from you. You will die a lot as the hit box for your mouse pointer seems to be bigger than the mouse pointer. It's also very hard to click and drag while being shot at, while avoiding colliding into obstacles/ships/etc...

I hated the controls so much that is was causing me to rage hard. I was dying to so many things and barely was able to attack them because the clicking and dragging system didn't work well.

There are some bosses and challenges, but they are super hard for the most part. The horrible controls make dodging bullets and being able to attack boss weak points extremely hard. I was raging so much after the last run that I rage quitted. It doesn't help the game mocks you with memes when you lose.  2/10

Conclusion: A quirky game that I wish was playable. With the garbage hit boxes and terrible control scheme I consider this one broken and nerve inducing. Never buy this one!

Really irritated.  I had uninstalled and installed Doom on a different SSD and all my saved preferences (challenges & exploration secrets) are lost.   It still loads up on mission 4, but everything else is gone. 

Really irritated. I had uninstalled and installed Doom on a different SSD and all my saved preferences (challenges & exploration secrets) are lost. It still loads up on mission 4, but everything else is gone.
Before doing any sort of moves/transfers, always also back-up the config folder ahead of time elsewhere too.

That way, you can always just throw it where it belongs after you reinstall the game's main files (that go in Steam's Common sub-folder).

Here's where Doom 2016's config folder is located at, just in case:

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Doom_(2016)#Configuration_file.28s.29_location

Windows %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM\base\

Linux (Proton) <Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/379720/pfx/

Really irritated. I had uninstalled and installed Doom on a different SSD and all my saved preferences (challenges & exploration secrets) are lost. It still loads up on mission 4, but everything else is gone.
Well then, I guess you're... Doomed to do them again.

Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw announced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjlDDZOGWvo

https://rebel-galaxy.com/faqs.html

Q: Does this have multiplayer?
A: Nope. (Cue wailing and gnashing of teeth)

Q: Hey, so Rebel Galaxy was that game where you couldn't fly up or down, did you make it so-
A: Yes. OK? Just...yes you can fly up and down.

Q: The main character is a lady. Do I have to play a lady?
A: Yes. Juno is awesome.

Q: This looks like it has aim and flight assists. Is this game for babies?
A: Yes this game is for babies (i.e. us), but also we have pro modes for not-babies.

Cool @ the RG Prequel.

Still need to get around to the original RG, which sits in the good old backlog.

Today the random Steam game picker choose Island Defense.

Time Spent: About 15 minutes.

Game Progress: Played through 4 levels.

Graphics: Very basic mobile like graphics. 5/10

Sound: Very basic music and sounds. There is gunshots that blast over everything else, and some tower effects, and some other effects like powers and such. The music wasn't memorable and honestly I don't remember it at all. 4/10

Story: None. It's an tower defense game that has levels to choose. 1/10

Gameplay/Fun Factor: It's a very basic tower defense game that is ported from mobile. You build on spots and can sell and upgrade towers. Waves of enemies come that you have to take out before they reach your home base. Your towers are not attacked, but you do have powers you get that can be activated by clicking and placing them in places. These powers range from mines, to air support, to placing a soldier to attack. The towers have different attacks that slow, or hurt certain enemies. It's all be done before.

There are lots of generic military units and some alright ones like a cyborg. Nothing special. What's a bit different are hero units who stand there and attack and block enemies, but also give more clickable powers. They can be upgrade outside of battles with dog tags and coins to level them up.

Everything is kind of raw and not very fun. Clicking on stuff never feels right, and the heroes don't always respond well to you moving them around. It's pretty boring overall and I was ready to quit right away after finishing the first island.  5/10

Conclusion: A generic tower defense mobile ported PC game. Nothing super horrible but nothing great either. Don't buy this!

Today the random Steam game picker choose Island Defense.

Time Spent: About 15 minutes.

Game Progress: Played through 4 levels.

Graphics: Very basic mobile like graphics. 5/10

Sound: Very basic music and sounds. There is gunshots that blast over everything else, and some tower effects, and some other effects like powers and such. The music wasn't memorable and honestly I don't remember it at all. 4/10

Story: None. It's an tower defense game that has levels to choose. 1/10

Gameplay/Fun Factor: It's a very basic tower defense game that is ported from mobile. You build on spots and can sell and upgrade towers. Waves of enemies come that you have to take out before they reach your home base. Your towers are not attacked, but you do have powers you get that can be activated by clicking and placing them in places. These powers range from mines, to air support, to placing a soldier to attack. The towers have different attacks that slow, or hurt certain enemies. It's all be done before.

There are lots of generic military units and some alright ones like a cyborg. Nothing special. What's a bit different are hero units who stand there and attack and block enemies, but also give more clickable powers. They can be upgrade outside of battles with dog tags and coins to level them up.

Everything is kind of raw and not very fun. Clicking on stuff never feels right, and the heroes don't always respond well to you moving them around. It's pretty boring overall and I was ready to quit right away after finishing the first island. 5/10

Conclusion: A generic tower defense mobile ported PC game. Nothing super horrible but nothing great either. Don't buy this!
Reviewing games you've barely played?

Ever consider a job at IGN?

Reviewing games you've barely played?

Ever consider a job at IGN?
I hope to get a job at IGN reviewing games.

Unrelated, but coincidentally enough, I also played Island Defense today. The full review will be in a video I'm posting later, but here's the conclusion -

A mobile game ported to PC that is pretty generic. I don't think it's horrible, but it's not the greatest thing I've played, either. My advice would be to not buy the game!

bread's done
Back