Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
TV Talk:

True Detective S3 looks like a return to form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btoZfxs0pE0
Binged season 1 and it was amazing. Skipped season 2 just because the actors were different. Is it worth watching? Because you make it sound like it wasn't good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anything we can do that would prompt you to wear clothes?

I'm really just disturbed by the idea that anyone around here is not wearing clothes. I picture everyone here as their fully-clothed avatars, and I like it that way, by gum!
I don't wear clothes so my cats don't get weirded out.

Binged season 1 and it was amazing. Skipped season 2 just because the actors were different. Is it worth watching? Because you make it sound like it wasn't good.
True Detective S1 is one of the best series in television history but S2 took a huge step backwards with its writing. It had enormous shoes to fill and it doesn't hold a candle to S1. Some lines are absolutely hilarious though; you really have got to see it. Some people loved it, most critics and bloggers hated it. I still enjoyed it quite a bit in spite of its lesser quality.

Bring on S3.

Blizzcon just started and everybody on bnet can claim a free Destiny 2 for the next couple weeks.
Free Destiny 2 game! (But please buy our $39.99-$59.99 expansion/DLC so you can play with people and do stuff.)

True Detective S1 is one of the best series in television history but S2 took a huge step backwards with its writing. It had enormous shoes to fill and it doesn't hold a candle to S1. Some lines are absolutely hilarious though; you really have got to see it. Some people loved it, most critics and bloggers hated it. I still enjoyed it quite a bit in spite of its lesser quality.
The writer had years to work on season one, it existed as a complete story, and then he was tasked to rush out a second season. That was likely a mistake. The story could have used some polishing.

The writer had years to work on season one, it existed as a complete story, and then he was tasked to rush out a second season. That was likely a mistake. The story could have used some polishing.
yeah. apparently Cary Fukunaga was the genius behind season 1? I remember the drama surrounding him and Nic Pizzolatto when S2 was shaping up and Fukunaga was out (from production).

Maniac is next on my priority list of shows to watch. I was really excited about it during the previews in the late summer but I haven't heard anyone talking about it at all since then.

yeah. apparently Cary Fukunaga was the genius behind season 1? I remember the drama surrounding him and Nic Pizzolatto when S2 was shaping up and Fukunaga was out (from production).
Pizzolatto created the series and wrote every episode in the first two seasons (with help on part of season two), and all but one in the third. Fukunaga didn't create or write the series, but did direct all of season one.

With Destiny 2 being free, resellers got destroyed. Lots of folks were trading or selling copies of this game from the July Humble Monthly, at very high value.

There was a time when Fanatical accepted prepaid debit cards and now they don't. I don't have a credit card and I've had issues before when I've had to get a new debit card because of unauthorized purchases, so I'm skeptical about using my debit card on sites such as GMG. It's not worth having to dispute a charge or something just to buy a $10 bundle that includes games that I probably won't even get around to this year.
Do you have a paypal account? You can link the prepaid card to paypal and it will go through as a paypal payment. No need to link your bank account to paypal if you don't want to, just link the prepaid card and use paypal to buy from Fanatical and Green Man Gaming.

Pizzolatto created the series and wrote every episode in the first two seasons (with help on part of season two), and all but one in the third. Fukunaga didn't create or write the series, but did direct all of season one.
Season 1 is dope. Haven't tested the waters on Season 2...

Do you have a paypal account? You can link the prepaid card to paypal and it will go through as a paypal payment. No need to link your bank account to paypal if you don't want to, just link the prepaid card and use paypal to buy from Fanatical and Green Man Gaming.
I do have a Paypal. That's a good idea. Thanks.

Since Humble was filled with old stuff, here are my leftovers.

Resident Evil Revelations - *DZVK-NEYGI-QVLJI (missing number is between 3 and 5)
Dead Island Definitive Edition - 5K*R8-QIK6C-WRC4J (missing number is zero minus zero)
Hard Reset Redux - 4LMD2-55HDJ-**WEC (missing numbers are 11 times 3)

Post if you claim them, mmmmmkay?

Things I'm looking forward to...

Diablo 4
Borderlands 3
New Bioshock, Dragon Age and Mass Effect games

Things I don't need...

More mobile games
Remastered versions of games I already played
Remastered mobile versions of games I already played
MMO versions of games taking the place or proper game sequels

The remastered WC3 looks hideous, too. Like one of those fan projects where they use 3D modeling for 'realistic' faces that turn out looking like plastic. Original WC3 looks better with its cartoony art style.

Season 1 is dope. Haven't tested the waters on Season 2...
I'll watch seasons 2 and 3 at some point. Tough to find time for everything I need to read, play, and watch.

Things I'm looking forward to...

Diablo 4
Borderlands 3
New Bioshock, Dragon Age and Mass Effect games

Things I don't need...

More mobile games
Remastered versions of games I already played
Remastered mobile versions of games I already played
MMO versions of games taking the place or proper game sequels
I disagree on the remasters. There are a number of (sometimes very) old games where I'd love to see a proper new version that keeps basically the same gameplay cleaned up with similar graphics, but with modern ideas on UI and design.

I watched Maniac and some of the episodes really drew me in and then other episodes were...not great. It felt like there were different directors for each of the episodes. Overall though it was enjoyable 7/10.

Maniac is next on my priority list of shows to watch. I was really excited about it during the previews in the late summer but I haven't heard anyone talking about it at all since then.

Is there anything we can do that would prompt you to wear clothes?

I'm really just disturbed by the idea that anyone around here is not wearing clothes. I picture everyone here as their fully-clothed avatars, and I like it that way, by gum!
Sounds like it's time to switch to ugly, nude avatars, everyone.

True Detective is an anthology series. And since S1 was pretty much a complete story of its own, they pretty much made Season 2 a totally different: story, characters, and everything.

S2 also feels like, in many ways, a much-much different show. It feels more cop-based, urban-based, and a much more modern show, too. S2 also feels way less gothic too.

S2 is not a masterpiece. Far from it. There's a ton of plot and a lot going on here - but, whether it's all worth your time, that's probably another story. There's a lot more story, plots, sub-plots, characters, and whatnot going on here (some get fleshed-out, some really don't) - but, S2 really lacks the laser-focus, tight-ness, intrigue, and weirdness that the first season had really going for it.

It's good overall (b/c when it can be great, it's great - but it also really does have some lows), but it's nowhere as great as S1. S1's a damn masterpiece. S2 really had some big shoes to fill - and well, with the hype through the roof, this show probably never honestly had a chance w/ S2.

S2's episodes can be all over the place, in general. It definitely meanders a bit at times in scenes...and even in Episodes. Some of the dialogue, is great. Some of it, is downright awful. It feels like they really experimented heavily w/ this season, to say the least.

About the all over the place part: same goes for the acting, too. In general, everything here is all over the place. Definitely could've used much more editing - you know, like The Purge TV Series: Season 1 is currently going through. In particular: Vince Vaughn can certainly be hit or miss on this show too. As much as I like Kelly Reilly (i.e. go see Yellowstone) - she can also be on or off on this show, in scenes. Colin Ferrell and Rachel McAdams are really good in this, though.

But, my God. That S2 theme is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJJfe1k9CeE

EDIT:

Have you watched The Alienist (on TNT)? That was really good. If you like that detective, mystery, twisty-turny stuff - you'll dig it. Basically about some cops chasing a Jack The Ripper type of killer in New York in the late 1800's.

Cary was involved w/ that recently also - in particular, he was involved w/ writing 2 of the episodes. He executive produced it, though.

Really looking to a S2, when it comes around.

wow it's like a whole new world playing Overwatch in 144 fps g-sync. I have never experienced anything higher than 60hz before and had no idea what I was missing out on. The lag and the tearing is simply gone and everything is silky smooth. FPS just became exponentially more enjoyable. I can't wait to try out BF1 later this afternoon.
This is exactly how I felt, the first time I tried G-Sync on my SC15 laptop. Having absolutely smooth performance in action-packed games when way over 60fps w/ explosions and/or special effects everywhere going, and then especially when losing lots of frames while still being over 60fps, yet I'm not feeling any of these hits - was incredible. It's like nothing ever happened; nothing went wrong here. These frames are so fast at say 120fps and then you slapped back to 90fps - you won't notice the hit.

That's with not even getting into how there's usually no input lag & no graphical tears w/ G-Sync, keeping everything intact and smooth...in both the looks department and the actual feel of the gameplay.

But, yeah - Overwatch at around 150fps w/ G-Sync feels like a total different experience than say 60fps w/out V-Sync. It feels more way responsive, more fluid, smoother, quicker, and better.

True Detective toaster talk
Season 2 was terrible in comparison to Season 1. The cast was nowhere near as good, and the story wasn't all that compelling either. Sure, I'm probably a little biased because I live in Louisiana, but there was a lot more that could have been done with the story that was developed over the course of the first series, and they just left a bunch of threads hanging out there. I really don't like Matthew McCoughaney or however the hell you spell that ridiculous name, but in THIS he was really good. It was also one of the better performances of Woody Harrelson's career.

But that's not why I'm here. I must be living in the Upside-Down, where Humble Bundles suck and Jonny is a bundle-god, AmazonTony is alive and well, and, well, you get the idea. I'm here to endorse a Groupees bundle. If you have any interest in actual music and not that beep-boop stuff you guys were going on and on about a few days ago, check out the Austin Wintory bundle that's live at Groupees now.

Trying to trick me! And it almost worked...

In other news the humble monthly reveals and blizzcon were both incredibly underwhelming today. I'm pretty sure the wow mob that takes to reddit and anywhere they can be heard so they can complain about each and every decision blizzard makes will never be satisfied, but that mobile diablo reveal...yikes.

The fact that GSync monitors cost a premium over Freesync has me considering getting a paltry AMD 580.
G-Sync is expensive, but it's great. It's proprietary, so - yeah, it's pricey.

If you already have an NVidia card and don't want to spend the premium, hopefully you can just catch a glitch "deal" (like I did) or a WalMart "YMMV clearance" deal (like Nothing did).

Do you already have a monitor supporting FreeSync?

I disagree on the remasters. There are a number of (sometimes very) old games where I'd love to see a proper new version that keeps basically the same gameplay cleaned up with similar graphics, but with modern ideas on UI and design.
Yeah, I mean that's ok if you're new to the game, but that's why I said of games I already played. Ain't nobody got time for that...again.

The fact that GSync monitors cost a premium over Freesync has me considering getting a paltry AMD 580.
That's why I went Freesync. I couldn't justify the Nvidia tax. [customspoiler=Now if red would just release a single card solution that could run newer, more demanding games at the resolution, framerate and settings I want...]
Yeah-THATD-BE-1rlu82.jpg

FWIW, I'm running a R9 Fury Nitro on a X34 3440 x 1440. It's passable, but new stuff I have to hit the settings more than I would prefer.[/customspoiler]

@Neuro
How do you like Freesync? Any thoughts on it?
I can't go back from some form of adaptive sync at this point. My eyes couldn't see the difference between G or Free when I bought my monitor. Now, the X34 (30-75FPS Freesync range) caps at 75Hz without adding in any sort of overdrive, so things could be better. But, I can't really drive any higher at this resolution currently anyway, so... And I use my monitor for more than games, so this resolution is just about perfect for all of my uses. I have no qualms with Freesync other than wishing Vega 64 was closer to 1080 Ti in performance for its current pricing.

Yep, it doesn't make sense to charge a premium for the cards and then a bigger premium for the monitors. You'd think they'd make the monitors cheaper to compensate, but they can charge what they want cuz fanboys.

G-Sync is expensive, but it's great. It's proprietary, so - yeah, it's pricey.

If you already have an NVidia card and don't want to spend the premium, hopefully you can just catch a glitch "deal" (like I did) or a WalMart "YMMV clearance" deal (like Nothing did).

Do you already have a monitor supporting FreeSync?
I basically have nothing now. My 770 died last March and I was so busy with work I decided to wait and see what 20X0 brought. As I mentioned I'll be making a choice this upcoming Black Friday and building a new system around that.

I paid around $280 for my 770 back in 't3h day' but the spiraling prices of GPUs and brand-exclusive monitors is making me evaluate what I really need for the type/amount of gaming I do.

I play very few AAA games with Borderlands 3 being the only one I really anticipate playing in the 'immediate' future. That and the fact that I tend to buy a new GPU/System every 3-5 years counsels me against buying the absolute cutting edge.

The premium tax on GSync has me questioning what was probably my first choice for this Black Friday -- a 1070 ti. The problem is I've read the Vega 56's are a bit questionable in terms of value/price when compared to the 1070... but... you don't have to pay the monitor 'tax' with a Freesync versus a GSync. Which is why I just might say 'eff it,' and go with a superior value (although less performance) in a 580.

Edited to add: Although cheap by nature (surprise on this forum!) I tend to get caught on stuff like: "Well, if I'm already spending $400 for a GPU, why not just spend $450... well... if I'm at $450... why not just spend $500." Now, though, it's not just the incremental price of the card but the brand-specific monitor, too.

I never really notice screen tearing and wasn't wowed by the [G/Free]Sync monitors at Microcenter last time I was there and looked.  I value screen real estate over being assured that I won't notice something that I'm not noticing now.  So until there's a Gsync monitor over 27" for $200, I'm happy to stick with what I've got.

Like DD3, I'm happier with my old man eyes than needing to spend $600+ to not be bothered by screen tearing.

I'm not even sure how much the g-sync even has to do with everything improvement-wise. I think super high refresh rate of 144hz+ is what's most important. Everyone I talk to at Microcenter bought cheaper freesync monitors (in spite of them using Nvidia cards) and they say that they still perform excellently.

I basically have nothing now.
You can never have me, Mooby.

The thing that really surprised me the most is that I never expected a computer monitor of all things to be this kind of massive upgrade.  Maybe its because I'm still running 8gb of DDR3 ram on a 3570k processor and my graphics are CPU-bound.  But yeah, I've never felt such a sizable improvement before.  All the lag and stuttering is simply gone. 

I never really notice screen tearing and wasn't wowed by the [G/Free]Sync monitors at Microcenter last time I was there and looked. I value screen real estate over being assured that I won't notice something that I'm not noticing now. So until there's a Gsync monitor over 27" for $200, I'm happy to stick with what I've got.

Like DD3, I'm happier with my old man eyes than needing to spend $600+ to not be bothered by screen tearing.
Oh, I notice screen-tearing. Always did. Always found it tolerable over V-Sync (in most instances - really shouldn't disable V-Sync in Bethesda's Creation Engine Games though) just to push for better framerates as the trade-off here, but it was still annoying as it would still happen. But to get rid of that annoyance entirely w/ G-Sync, that's wonderful.

To pair high framerates w/ some sort of Adaptive Sync tech like G-Sync, this is just amazing. It's probably both tech's together, which makes it all so good. Having sick framerates, take a nasty hit, and not feel it - it's great. All of gaming should aim be that smooth.

Even if you're say at 90fps in GW: Wildlands and get slapped back to say 60fps b/c a lot's happening - eh, I didn't notice it. Still was smooth sailings, even w/ explosions, gun-shots, and stuff going on everywhere.

Man, all of this tech sure has come a long way.

Sure, 60fps is still really good and should be gaming's bare minimum standard (yes, that should be even a standard for console gaming) - but that's only as long as it doesn't stray much away from 60fps b/c I can either still see it, feel it, or both if it takes a major hit back to say 50fps.

EDIT:

I'm not even sure how much the g-sync even has to do with everything improvement-wise. I think super high refresh rate of 144hz+ is what's most important. Everyone I talk to at Microcenter bought cheaper freesync monitors (in spite of them using Nvidia cards) and they say that they still perform excellently.
I used to think 60hz was great (which it still is) - but there's something better and greater out there (i.e. better refresh rates and better Adaptive Sync tech).

So, that's really good to know & hear that Freesync performs well, as it gives AMD users are great option for Adaptive Sync technology. I'm loving G-Sync - so it Freesync's also good, that's great. Everyone wins.

Everybody who likes intense, action-packed, special effects, and stuff happening everywhere type of games - yep, I think these high refresh monitors are a real game-changer.

Those crazy refreshes of 120hz+ really make a difference; especially in action-packed games with a lot going on.

Especially in online games like Overwatch - I felt like a totally different player; I was actually not bottom or middle of the pack in a room as usual with not one of my best characters (Tracer), but closer to the top. I really should see how I'd fend w/ Farrah, as that is probably my best character in Overwatch - the whole jet-packing, rocket-jumping, double-jumping, and rocket-shooting character has always been my thing, probably since the old-school Tribes and Quake series of MP FPS days.

EDIT:

The thing that really surprised me the most is that I never expected a computer monitor of all things to be this kind of massive upgrade. Maybe its because I'm still running 8gb of DDR3 ram on a 3570k processor and my graphics are CPU-bound. But yeah, I've never felt such a sizable improvement before. All the lag and stuttering is simply gone.
Yep, that's the other thing - no lag, no stutters, nothing. High FPS with a monitor w/ high-refresh and Adaptive Sync tech (G-Sync in my case) is just as smooth as can be.

The latest WoW expansion is garbage compared to Legion and even with Legion they handled some stuff really stupidly.  They made one of the most challenging and fun things in the game in years and only made it available a few days at a time so if you only had certain days you could play you might get to see the content once a month if you were lucky.  I knew quite a few people that were playing for all of Legion but quit early on in BFA, saying it is the worst expansion for WoW so far.

Blizzard teased big Diablo news for ages and then only recently started saying that they were not ready yet to announce part of the Diablo stuff they were working on but that evil things come to those who wait.  Leaving people to think D4 or a D3 expansion were in the works but a D1 or D2 remaster would be announced at Blizzcon in the meantime.  And then they save Diablo for the end like it is going to be a big deal and it is a shit mobile game almost guaranteed to exist for no other reason than to milk the wallets of whales.  

I DO want an updated Diablo 1 and 2 that work in widescreen and perform better with modern hardware but I do not trust Blizz to do it without ruining the aesthetic of the games.  I doubt they would remaster Diablo 1 anyway but if they did there is no way they would not ruin the dark, creepy atmosphere.  Even Diablo 2 took steps away from the first games horror aspects and it is still vastly better than Diablo 3 in that regard.

I actually think the new look of Warcraft 3 works fine for that game but it will have to be extremely mod-friendly for me to care about it.  Mods were what made Warcraft 3 fun for so long in the first place.  And I wonder if this is going to be all online-only like Diablo 3 was, thus no modding.  

I think my biggest problem w/ Diablo: Immortal is that it's only for mobile. I'd probably check it out for sure, if it had PC support.

I expected new Diablo to be online-only, though - still "meh" about that, of course.

At least w/ Elder Scrolls: Blades, it's gonna be on every damn platform: mobiles OS's, consoles, and PC. Hopefully, we'll be able to take our characters with us, no matter which platform we're playing on.

Yeah, I don't like that these games all probably will be riddled and laced w/ MTX's though - which, likely, would be the biggest problem w/ me sticking around w/ a game. If a game gets too grind-y to get anywhere and/or too repetitive - chances are, I'm gonna drop it and move onto something else.

EDIT:

I'd certainly like to see a Diablo 1 & 2 HD Remaster. I dunno why Blizzard hasn't got that going, as those two would likely print money; lots of $.

In the meantime, though, for offline play of the old Diablo classics w/ modern resolutions and whatnot:

Diablo 1 - Belzebub HD Mod will do for now.

Diablo 2 - Sven's Glide Wrapper really helps.

Especially in online games like Overwatch - I felt like a totally different player; I was actually not bottom or middle of the pack in a room as usual with not one of my best characters (Tracer), but closer to the top. I really should see how I'd fend w/ Farrah, as that is probably my best character in Overwatch - the whole jet-packing, rocket-jumping, double-jumping, and rocket-shooting character has always been my thing, probably since the old-school Tribes and Quake series of MP FPS days.
How do you misspell Pharah every single time when it literally shows her name before you choose her?

Especially in online games like Overwatch - I felt like a totally different player; I was actually not bottom or middle of the pack in a room as usual with not one of my best characters (Tracer), but closer to the top.
Yeah, I ended up playing a few rounds of Overwatch and Battlefield last night instead of going out. Monitor has reinvigorated me. I actually got a Zenyatta - Play of the Game a couple rounds in by pincer attacking and soloing a couple of tanks and dps standing on the payload behind a shield. So fun.

I do love Overwatch.

The latest WoW expansion is garbage compared to Legion and even with Legion they handled some stuff really stupidly. They made one of the most challenging and fun things in the game in years and only made it available a few days at a time so if you only had certain days you could play you might get to see the content once a month if you were lucky. I knew quite a few people that were playing for all of Legion but quit early on in BFA, saying it is the worst expansion for WoW so far.

Blizzard teased big Diablo news for ages and then only recently started saying that they were not ready yet to announce part of the Diablo stuff they were working on but that evil things come to those who wait. Leaving people to think D4 or a D3 expansion were in the works but a D1 or D2 remaster would be announced at Blizzcon in the meantime. And then they save Diablo for the end like it is going to be a big deal and it is a shit mobile game almost guaranteed to exist for no other reason than to milk the wallets of whales.

I DO want an updated Diablo 1 and 2 that work in widescreen and perform better with modern hardware but I do not trust Blizz to do it without ruining the aesthetic of the games. I doubt they would remaster Diablo 1 anyway but if they did there is no way they would not ruin the dark, creepy atmosphere. Even Diablo 2 took steps away from the first games horror aspects and it is still vastly better than Diablo 3 in that regard.

I actually think the new look of Warcraft 3 works fine for that game but it will have to be extremely mod-friendly for me to care about it. Mods were what made Warcraft 3 fun for so long in the first place. And I wonder if this is going to be all online-only like Diablo 3 was, thus no modding.
wow died when they added flying mounts and instant ports everywhere ruining world interaction and world pvp. then they dumbed the game down further for casuals and added phasing. its just another casual retard friendly mmo. they will ruin the vanilla relaunch somehow. the new blizzard is a total failure of a company.

The latest WoW expansion is garbage compared to Legion and even with Legion they handled some stuff really stupidly. They made one of the most challenging and fun things in the game in years and only made it available a few days at a time so if you only had certain days you could play you might get to see the content once a month if you were lucky. I knew quite a few people that were playing for all of Legion but quit early on in BFA, saying it is the worst expansion for WoW so far.
I've avoided WoW news for about 3 months now. I ended up needing to take a break and really haven't touched the expansion since release day. Sad to see BfA is so bad. Legion almost broke me of the addiction. It was one bad design choice after another. I knew many who came back for Legion and liked it and I just couldn't see it. Even now, it is really hard to get motivated to play and I miss my guildmates.

I've avoided WoW news for about 3 months now. I ended up needing to take a break and really haven't touched the expansion since release day. Sad to see BfA is so bad. Legion almost broke me of the addiction. It was one bad design choice after another. I knew many who came back for Legion and liked it and I just couldn't see it. Even now, it is really hard to get motivated to play and I miss my guildmates.
i was a hardcore pvper ands world pvper of the game from vanilla until mop. while vanilla was the top tier without question, i could atleast tolerate BC and WOTLK. all the expansions since WOTLK are complete and total trash with boring generic content, full of retarded rotations, massive imbalance (this started with lich king and even BC to a extent) and a attitude of blizzard that reaks of elitism. They think they "know better" than what people keep telling them. the only reason i kept playing it past lich king was because of my friends, not the gameplay.

id love nothing more than to see vanilla relaunch exactly as it was because it was a perfect mmo but I just know they will find a way to screw it up. even the new classic beta has LFR and phasing in it (they ofcourse say it wont be in the final product, but why would anyone believe them anymore?)

The Cryorig H7 Plus came in the mail yesteday.   Thing is massive.  Not bad for $40 temp solution while /punting on current AIO's to try and get this thing built. 

Cryorig-H7-plus.jpg

I'm one step closer to the edge. 

I basically have nothing now. My 770 died last March and I was so busy with work I decided to wait and see what 20X0 brought. As I mentioned I'll be making a choice this upcoming Black Friday and building a new system around that.

I paid around $280 for my 770 back in 't3h day' but the spiraling prices of GPUs and brand-exclusive monitors is making me evaluate what I really need for the type/amount of gaming I do.

I play very few AAA games with Borderlands 3 being the only one I really anticipate playing in the 'immediate' future. That and the fact that I tend to buy a new GPU/System every 3-5 years counsels me against buying the absolute cutting edge.

The premium tax on GSync has me questioning what was probably my first choice for this Black Friday -- a 1070 ti. The problem is I've read the Vega 56's are a bit questionable in terms of value/price when compared to the 1070... but... you don't have to pay the monitor 'tax' with a Freesync versus a GSync. Which is why I just might say 'eff it,' and go with a superior value (although less performance) in a 580.

Edited to add: Although cheap by nature (surprise on this forum!) I tend to get caught on stuff like: "Well, if I'm already spending $400 for a GPU, why not just spend $450... well... if I'm at $450... why not just spend $500." Now, though, it's not just the incremental price of the card but the brand-specific monitor, too.
580 is a great deal for 1080p gaming, especially paired with a cheaper freesync monitor. I've seen a 27'' freesync with all the hertz car rental you could want for $200 and a 34'' Ultrawide Acer super hertz predator for $350. Now these aren't like available 24/7 but you certainly find a great deal on a top notch free sync monitor before you will find one for a G-sync one.

That's the only reason I wouldn't recommend the 1060 even though performance wise they are practically the same.

Ah, so after upgrading you should play games like Overwatch, Battlefield, etc.   Silly me, I thought you were supposed to play roguelikes that your smart fridge could probably run.

Nah honestly I haven't had the free time or really felt up to playing anything, been trying to finish some landscaping while the weather is not unbearable, supposed to get our first freeze next Friday so I hope I get a lot done this week.  Lots of rain chances though so who knows.   I expect once the cold really gets started we'll be stuck with it for a while and I am not a cold weather person.    I do find it easier to suffer through the cold when I am getting paid to do something than when I am doing something for myself though, which is why I figure if I do not finish my landscaping it will still be waiting on me in spring.

I did actually log into Tera for something to compare my old system with.  I used mostly high settings and got 50~ fps outside of cities on 1080p before, now with everything at max and 1440p I was getting 140+ fps and the game looks amazing.  I was showing my system to an older relative (64) who likes some stuff like the Sims and wanted to see my new computer since I had mentioned building it.  He was fascinated with Tera.  "Are you that dog with a pipe in its mouth?" and I left him with it when I went back to working outside.  He played several hours straight and then went home and installed it.  I created a monster.

bread's done
Back