Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Just Cause 4 as next week's freebie is a nice surprise. I'm pretty sure this is the first Square Enix game on the Epic store, so I did not imagine it being given way there. While reviews are mixed, I like free roam titles and the environments in this look more varied than Just Cause 3.

Also, Close to the Sun, one of this week's freebies, is an Epic exclusive, so it's interesting to see more games already on the store being given away eg. World War Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Just Cause 4, huh? kinda surprised. might try it out next week.
MS Xboner GameAss beat Timmy to the punch. I just last night finished up Just Cause 4 on Game Ass...and by finished up I mean the main 'story line'. Not doing '5 donuts in each of the 4,432 parking lots' lame side-quest/cheevo-grab in the game finished up. I would give it a 5 out of 10. Similar to Far Cry series, but not as engaging. I had no investment in the main character, Rico, nor his paper-thin NPCs he hung out with. And by paper-thin, I'm comparing it to Far Cry as a 'gold standard'...so that should give you an idea of how thin the paper is here. Good game for tooling around in different vehicles, beautiful big world, great explosions. but wears thin pretty quickly and completing the main story will have you going "wut? is that it?"....so...eh

On deck: finish up Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Over...er.Order...kinda stalled on this...want to try AC: Origins/Odyssey....but tried Origins and it's just drifted too far from the ACs I liked....dunno....

Peace out.

Ah Close to the Sun I actually want to try out. It doesn't look amazing, but worth trying. Thinks it's finally time to actually try out the launcher already instead of just endlessly adding games haha.

MS Xboner GameAss beat Timmy to the punch. I just last night finished up Just Cause 4 on Game Ass...and by finished up I mean the main 'story line'. Not doing '5 donuts in each of the 4,432 parking lots' lame side-quest/cheevo-grab in the game finished up. I would give it a 5 out of 10. Similar to Far Cry series, but not as engaging. I had no investment in the main character, Rico, nor his paper-thin NPCs he hung out with. And by paper-thin, I'm comparing it to Far Cry as a 'gold standard'...so that should give you an idea of how thin the paper is here. Good game for tooling around in different vehicles, beautiful big world, great explosions. but wears thin pretty quickly and completing the main story will have you going "wut? is that it?"....so...eh

On deck: finish up Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Over...er.Order...kinda stalled on this...want to try AC: Origins/Odyssey....but tried Origins and it's just drifted too far from the ACs I liked....dunno....

Peace out.
I played a little of Odyssey (just to unlock cosmetics in other games) and it was a lot of fun. Totally different from a regular AC game, but the combat was great, story was great, and game looked beautiful.

I played a little of Odyssey (just to unlock cosmetics in other games) and it was a lot of fun. Totally different from a regular AC game, but the combat was great, story was great, and game looked beautiful.
Yeah, this might seem petty (but so is your Mom), I think if they just called the game Odyssey and went on from there, I would be ok. I just don't really like the level-gating, skills/things I used to start with or get automagically via in-game progression (AC: Brotherhood) are now on a giant 40-node (each node having 2 or 3 levels) tree. And, in this series, I really don't want to f around with crafting.

It's apparent that Ubi is cross-pollinating between franchises like Far Cry, Watch Dongs, AssCreed, etc. Sometimes that is good, sometimes not (from my player perspective). Completely makes sense from a business perspective to 'leverage synergies'.

I'm sure the new AC's are popular (Origins/Odyssey) and it's always great to have other people enjoying the game...not sure they're really my cuppa anymore.

Just a heads up that the Hitman 2 expansion pass is $8 (80% off) on Steam. Lowest price yet. Exactly what you'd want if you got the base game in the Monthly.

First game has a free weekend as well although I'm betting most have it by now.

Finally, NBA 2K Playgrounds 2 is free to play (not keep) for the next week.

Yeah, this might seem petty (but so is your Mom), I think if they just called the game Odyssey and went on from there, I would be ok. I just don't really like the level-gating, skills/things I used to start with or get automagically via in-game progression (AC: Brotherhood) are now on a giant 40-node (each node having 2 or 3 levels) tree. And, in this series, I really don't want to f around with crafting.

It's apparent that Ubi is cross-pollinating between franchises like Far Cry, Watch Dongs, AssCreed, etc. Sometimes that is good, sometimes not (from my player perspective). Completely makes sense from a business perspective to 'leverage synergies'.

I'm sure the new AC's are popular (Origins/Odyssey) and it's always great to have other people enjoying the game...not sure they're really my cuppa anymore.
You have a good point there RichAss. Ubisoft keeps touching tips between their game franchises, and it all just makes them feel the same. There's a reason why some people like AssCreed but not Watch Dongs. I respect games more for being unique and containerized, because that's where originality stems from.

We don't need WatchAssCry (or FarAssDongs, at least not in the game sense...). Feels like lazy drag-and-drop coding so they can beat EA Sports with their yearly franchise quotas.

Yeah, this might seem petty (but so is your Mom),
Nice of you to wear the mask Tebows mom made for you

oMFTzdO.jpg

You have a good point there RichAss. Ubisoft keeps touching tips between their game franchises, and it all just makes them feel the same. There's a reason why some people like AssCreed but not Watch Dongs. I respect games more for being unique and containerized, because that's where originality stems from.

We don't need WatchAssCry (or FarAssDongs, at least not in the game sense...). Feels like lazy drag-and-drop coding so they can beat EA Sports with their yearly franchise quotas.
Ubi's been having problems w/ their open-world games since Far Cry 2 and AC1. For the most part, a lot of their games been going open-world since those ones.

I think AC changed directions w/ Origins....and really isn't AC too much anymore. It has became more Dark Souls-like (on the combat) and loot-focused; and then more Witcher 3-like (i.e. added decision-making) with AC: Odyssey, from what I've played.

Personally, I think the last time AC was still AC...was with Syndicate.

Watch Dogs is fine, as it's really their GTA game with additional stealth game elements. I hope with WD: Legion, they really don't add loot-progression on top.

About Ubi doing too much copy/pasting of stuff and genres and mashing them: yup. Lately, it's been gear-progression Destiny 2-like and Division-like, since the Division's success...that they are adding onto everything. They seem to be putting loot-grinding & loot-progression in everything of late, since Division 1....unfortunately.

I think where Ubi did the most copy/paste and genre-mashing was w/ GR series since Wildlands. And it hasn't been for the best either. They seem to be experimenting the most here w/ genre-mashing. GR:W was more like GTA (open-world 3rd person action game) meets Far Cry (open-world shooter) meets MGSV (open-world game with stealth elements) meets some GR elements (strategic-stuff, but not much is retaining).

Meanwhile, GR: Breakpoint took all the stuff in GR: Wildlands (see above paragraph)...and then also added survival elements, loot-progression system, and unfortunately the required-online MMO type of bullcrap on top.

Ubi's been having problems w/ their open-world games since Far Cry 2 and AC1. For the most part, a lot of their games been going open-world since those ones.

I think AC changed directions w/ Origins....and really isn't AC too much anymore. It has became more Dark Souls-like (on the combat) and loot-focused; and then more Witcher 3-like (i.e. added decision-making) with AC: Odyssey, from what I've played.

Personally, I think the last time AC was still AC...was with Syndicate.

Watch Dogs is fine, as it's really their GTA game with additional stealth game elements. I hope with WD: Legion, they really don't add loot-progression on top.

About Ubi doing too much copy/pasting of stuff and genres and mashing them: yup. Lately, it's been gear-progression Destiny 2-like and Division-like, since the Division's success...that they are adding onto everything. They seem to be putting loot-grinding & loot-progression in everything of late, since Division 1....unfortunately.

I think where Ubi did the most copy/paste and genre-mashing was w/ GR series since Wildlands. And it hasn't been for the best either. They seem to be experimenting the most here w/ genre-mashing. GR:W was more like GTA (open-world 3rd person action game) meets Far Cry (open-world shooter) meets MGSV (open-world game with stealth elements) meets some GR elements (strategic-stuff, but not much is retaining).

Meanwhile, GR: Breakpoint took all the stuff in GR: Wildlands (see above paragraph)...and then also added survival elements, loot-progression system, and unfortunately the required-online MMO type of bullcrap on top.
You reminded me that I Iurved me some Wildlands (single player of course. NOT MULTI-PLAYER YOU MONSTER!!!), I was disappointed about the poor reviews that GR: Breakpoint was receiving. Not sure Im interested in that nao.

As someone who has spent more time than most playing Ubi games (finished Wildlands, Division 1 and 2, Far Cry 5 and New Dawn all in the last 1-2 years).   I'm not really seeing the whole "all games are the same" argument.

There's some cross elements here and there, but the mechanics and feel of most of their franchises are completely different.  I haven't finished, but I played a little of the Watch Dogs franchise and ACs and it's more than just a different setting.  The games play and feel differently too.  Even between Wildlands and Breakpoint, there were differences (not good) that made those games feel differently.  They scratch different itches for me.  That said, I like climbing towers and doing dumb collectible stuff in game worlds I like so I am partial towards that element.   

Question to the gamer gods!

I got today my new laptop (Asus TUF FX505DT) and I'm very pleased with what I got for $500. Now, I do have to upgrade the ram (currently 8GB) and hard drive (256GB). I will first upgrade the drive and because I'm a cheap ass gamer I don't want to exceed the $100 mark for at least 1TB. I saw THIS particular drive which seems interesting and I would like to know your thoughts on that compared to other SSD under around my budget.

Thanks and may Trump Cat bless you all!
I've had one of those 2tb Firecuda's in my PS4 for almost two years. Its fine for a hdd and usually been the best bang/buck for laptop drives. I'd avocate for spending the money on ssd's for your laptop though. The benefit of no moving parts is not worrying about any small drops killing your hdd.

Seagate has gotten a lot better since their bad run with 1.5TB externals and their 3TB internal hdd's a few years ago. Though its clear that when they bought out Maxtor years ago they bought all of their quality problems too. Circa 2005 I replaced a Maxtor 160gb hdd twice in 1.5 years.

Bit of a different review this time because this one isn't out yet. I was invited to the beta for Monster Train and below are my thoughts. If you join the discord you can get the beta key with a simple command. I got mine from email or something. The beta is extended to 04-27-2020 so try it out if it seems interesting.

Honestly I had no idea what to expect from the game. I honestly forgot I signed up for this beta, but knew I wouldn't sign up without being interested. This game is a heck of a lot of fun and extremely polished already. You start in the game with having a main tribe and having a sub tribe. These are the creatures you will use in your game. You start with some basic creatures, heals and attack spells and a hero creature who can and will die. You have multiple levels to your train and at the top is like the heart of your train and if it is destroyed your run ends. Every turn you get a new set of enemies who usually start on the 1st floor. You set up your own units that will get attacked first before retaliating (unless you have the attack first ability). You have a certain amount of energy to play your cards which are units and spells. The last wave has a boss who may attack other turns before this as well. This pretty much turns into a tower defense of sorts where if an enemy set isn't killed they go up a story on your train and fight whatever is there. It's super addictive already and has very decent graphics and a good difficulty. I will easily purchase this on release. It combines deck building, rogue lite action, tower defense and somewhat felt like Magic the Gathering light. I really enjoyed my hour with it. 

You reminded me that I Iurved me some Wildlands (single player of course. NOT MULTI-PLAYER YOU MONSTER!!!), I was disappointed about the poor reviews that GR: Breakpoint was receiving. Not sure Im interested in that nao.
I liked Wildlands, but it was disappointing for me. Still good, but not great. It's very ambitious with what it does (and the same goes for Breakpoint b/c of so much genre-mashing) - but I think it needs to be all executed better to do so much genre-mashing. Ain't an easy thing to do, b/c it's trying to do so much...and that kind of stuff just needs proper balancing & execution everywhere.

I think my biggest complaint w/ Wildlands was: a lot of the Advanced Warfighter-style AI control and manipulation....was gone. Literally, this was the element that really made me enjoy GR games and to me is the key element in the franchise, as you could really control and boss your AI squadmates around as much as you wanted. You had tons of controls over your guys in GR:AW, which is what I liked about that game.

I have not tried the newest GR: Breakpoint update - but they supposedly added a new mode called Ghost Experience (probably b/c of all of the complaints many had) so the loot-progression system isn't in your way as much (i.e. it removes Gear levels basically) and it can be played a bit more strategically (like older GR games, such as Warfighter games - but not entirely yet). I still think they should add AI squadmates back and add GR:AW style control over them, to make it feel more like a real GR experience to me. And they just also added Vulkan API support, which supposedly makes the game run A LOT better (it ran pretty poor, back in Beta when NDA was lifted still and even back when I tried it in January, it ran a bit better...but not much).

I should test it out again, since the new update, Ghost mode, and Vulkan API could possibly help the Breakpoint out a bit. Since the game was a mess - yeah, it really needs all of this, TBH....and probably still then some.

Man, I loved the previous 2 games from this developer (regency solitaire and shadowhand); kinda tempted to buy this, but I also know that it'll probably get bundled or even be free somewhere by the end of this year: https://store.steampowered.com/app/993790/Ancient_Enemy/

Played the first fight in Steamworld Quest last night via Stadia and kept thinking I'd rather be playing Hearthstone right now. Went to play HS and my spell mage that was kicking ass 2 nights ago went like 0-8 vs hunters and demon hunters. Went back to Steamworld Quest and started enjoying it a lot more.

I beat Steamworld Quest on the hardest difficulty and if you want a challenge that is it. I love the characters in this even though they are simple in ways and the story isn't too complicated either. It was one of my favorite RPGs that year for not wasting my time and being an OK length anyway. The only really bad thing is the massive grind for leveling up spells because of how some spells require rare ingredients or a lot of a certain ingredient. I only leveled up my most important never changing them up skills because of that.

I liked Wildlands, but it was disappointing for me. Still good, but not great. It's very ambitious with what it does (and the same goes for Breakpoint b/c of so much genre-mashing) - but I think it needs to be all executed better to do so much genre-mashing. Ain't an easy thing to do, b/c it's trying to do so much...and that kind of stuff just needs proper balancing & execution everywhere.

I think my biggest complaint w/ Wildlands was: a lot of the Advanced Warfighter-style AI control and manipulation....was gone. Literally, this was the element that really made me enjoy GR games and to me is the key element in the franchise, as you could really control and boss your AI squadmates around as much as you wanted. You had tons of controls over your guys in GR:AW, which is what I liked about that game.

I have not tried the newest GR: Breakpoint update - but they supposedly added a new mode called Ghost Experience (probably b/c of all of the complaints many had) so the loot-progression system isn't in your way as much (i.e. it removes Gear levels basically) and it can be played a bit more strategically (like older GR games, such as Warfighter games - but not entirely yet). I still think they should add AI squadmates back and add GR:AW style control over them, to make it feel more like a real GR experience to me. And they just also added Vulkan API support, which supposedly makes the game run A LOT better (it ran pretty poor, back in Beta when NDA was lifted still and even back when I tried it in January, it ran a bit better...but not much).

I should test it out again, since the new update, Ghost mode, and Vulkan API could possibly help the Breakpoint out a bit. Since the game was a mess - yeah, it really needs all of this, TBH....and probably still then some.
I honestly don't think it's worth wasting the bandwidth. I DLed it and played it during the free weekend recently to unlock a mask in Division 2 and it's like a worse Wildlands with all the personality sucked out of it. There wasn't really anything compelling. At least with Wildlands, you had a big, vibrant unique open world to help you forget about all the janky driving and AI squad.

any of you weebs playing that Final Fantasy 7 remake? there are hints it will come to pc eventually, so will probably wait for that.
I don't think there was ever much doubt that it would come to pc eventually. Playing console at launch -will get rid of the disc and then buy the pc version down the road.

FFVII was my first ever pc game purchase.
[attachment=33851:ff7pc.jpg]

I didn't have PSX at the time and I played FF7 and 8 on PC. Not terrible. When FF9 came out I ended up getting a PS One, which still is one of my favorite 2nd iteration of consoles.

Interesting, I didn't recall a Greatest Hits version of FF7. I thought the print run was relatively low and they never released more.

Guess it was the Platinum collection?

Never had FF7 (retail on discs) on PC, for some reason. I had it on PSX - yes, that was my first PSX title - and also own it on Steam. Classic JRPG and one of the best FF's, if you ask me.

I also really enjoyed FF6 on PSX (also known as FF3 on SNES in USA) and FF9.

I also thought FF5 was really good, too; loved the Job system.

FF8 was good, but had some issues. The GF system & Draw system...made the game too grindy and long-winded. Ultimecia had one of the best twists, after her situation w/ Edea in the first chapter/disc...and then they didn't much interesting w/ Ultimecia to solidify her as a great villain. They really dropped the ball w/ Ultimecia. And most of the time, Squall was too whiny to even find likeable at any point. .

Side note: Chrono Cross on PSX was also great; would love to see that get a PC port. I really need to get around to trying Chrono Cross PC (Steam).

EDIT:

I don't think there was ever much doubt that it would come to pc eventually. Playing console at launch -will get rid of the disc and then buy the pc version down the road.

FFVII was my first ever pc game purchase.
attachicon.gif
ff7pc.jpg
I think my first PC game purchases were MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries, Quake 1, and DN3D.

any of you weebs playing that Final Fantasy 7 remake? there are hints it will come to pc eventually, so will probably wait for that.
Waiting for a PC release myself. I imagine it'll experience a delay beyond the exclusivity period, though given what has happened. Still, as long as it's a quality port I'll be happy.

Never had FF7 (retail on discs) on PC, for some reason. I had it on PSX - yes, that was my first PSX title - and also own it on Steam. Classic JRPG and one of the best FF's, if you ask me.

I also really enjoyed FF6 on PSX (also known as FF3 on SNES in USA) and FF9.

I also thought FF5 was really good, too; loved the Job system.

FF8 was good, but had some issues. The GF system & Draw system...made the game too grindy and long-winded. Ultimecia had one of the best twists, after her situation w/ Edea in the first chapter/disc...and then they didn't much interesting w/ Ultimecia to solidify her as a great villain. They really dropped the ball w/ Ultimecia. And most of the time, Squall was too whiny to even find likeable at any point. .

Side note: Chrono Cross on PSX was also great; would love to see that get a PC port. I really need to get around to trying Chrono Cross PC (Steam).

EDIT:

I think my first PC game purchases were MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries, Quake 1, and DN3D.
A Chrono Cross port would be great for the US 20th anniversary provided they put enough care into one of their older titles for once. I was planning on playing it this summer regardless since it's been ages.

Last edited:
Wow, No Man's Sky hasn't gone under $15? Kind of wild for a game that's been out almost four years.
I'd say that's garbage except the Dev's seem really proud to keep updating even though it's not getting them much. But seeing as I NOW know the whole launch fiasco situation, I appreciate them all the more for it.

I had FF7 remake pre-ordered but I canceled it and a dozen or so other games on Amazon when I vowed not to buy anything else at release unless I was sure I'd play it soon.  Honestly with how behind I am, playing the entire FF7 remake when all parts are out is a reasonable option.  

Mine where X-Wing and NHL Hockey (which was basically NHL 94), other early pickups where Papyrus NASCAR Racing (they would release a number of NASCAR titles before splintering off to form iRacing), and Aces of the Deep.

I think SimCity 2000 and Megarace. Maybe Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?

Unless you count whatever the Atari home PC was. But I think most/all of those were D-d-d-don't copy that floppied from my dad's co-worker.

If we just mean our first PC games period, mine was probably like Reader Rabbit or something. If we mean something we got because we wanted it specifically, Descent 2. If we’re talking games that we bought with our own money, uh... the second Humble Bundle, maybe?

There was a 7-in-1 that came included with something, I think there was a Might and Magic on it that I couldn't figure out. Some action game that was set in an office building that I think ended in Q, pretty sure I have it again on Steam or GOG. I think Chessmaster 3000? Some doctor game that might as well have been Surgeon Simulator. Seems like one or two that wouldn't launch.

D/Generation, that's what it was. Knew it would be faster to try to Google it than find it in a game library.

530678-life_and_death_2___the_brain_7.gif.png

You're not my dad!

I don't know for sure which PC game I purchased with my money, probably a Blizzard game (maybe Warcraft II or Diablo?). But I remember a couple of the first games that I didn't buy on the family computer were Dark Forces and Rebel Assault 2.

I think SimCity 2000 and Megarace. Maybe Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?

Unless you count whatever the Atari home PC was. But I think most/all of those were D-d-d-don't copy that floppied from my dad's co-worker.
Oh man I loved Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego! I wasn't old enough to be able to understand and follow the clues around the world to capture the henchmen so it mostly worked by trial and error and dumb luck. When I finally captured carmen it was amazing.

First PC games I remember playing were Halloween Harry, X wing, and Rebel Assault. First game I bought with my own money was probably either Diablo or Age of Empires 2. I remember my parents bought me Baldur's Gate II for Christmas one year and I had no idea what it was and didn't even start it up for awhile. Turned out to be one of my favorite games of all time and probably the game I've played through the most times.

For me it was either Double Dragon or Back to the Future II. Those big boxes made you think it was something special and then you start the game and it's some CGA mess and all the sound comes from inside the case because you didn't set the IRQs right on your Sound Blaster

bread's done
Back