Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
First PC game I remember playing was so old, I can't remember much about it. Monochrome platformer that had like an upper and lower area, and you go around collecting 6 eyes or something. Another one where you're like a spy or something, but I was too young and couldn't figure anything out.

First real game I really got was SimCity 2000. With my own money was probably the Lord of the Rings Vol 1. / Vol. 2 The Two Towers collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
With my own money was probably Arcanum. I never quite got the handle around it thought, but it was ambitious and alright.
Oh, man. Arcanum was great. That diamond in the rough is so underrated.

That's (the diamond in the rough part) is par for the course though w/ all of Troika's games. Thank God for modding communities for TOEE, Bloodlines, and of course Arcanum.

Arcanum so has that old school Fallout-style CRPG gameplay (especially if you run it mostly in turn-based mode) with orcs, elves, steampunk, magic, and the Industrial Revolution.

And the was score/soundtrack was amazing. Unique as hell too.

Definitely use the unofficial DrogBlackTooth's patch or the Multi-Verse Edition, to play it these days.

Drog Black Tooth Unofficial Arcanum Patch (UAP) [just fixes mostly]:

https://terra-arcanum.com/drog/uap.html#download

Multi-Verse Edition (Unofficial) [comes w/ UAP & fixes, changes, etc]:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=760410053&searchtext=drog

First game I ever played was Centipede on my parents' old Atari 7800. I remember enjoying it but not thinking too much about it after that. Never was into video games much when I was young, but my best friend was, and we'd have sleepovers where we just played Mortal Kombat all night long. I've never been good at fighting games and always lost.

First game I ever bought with my own money was Star Fox 64 for N64. My parents bought me the system when I was like 10, and I signed up for Nintendo Power and started getting those crazy VHS movies. I remember getting the Star Fox 64 one in the mail and watching it repeatedly, then scrounging up all my money to go and buy it. Best decision I ever made as a kid (which probably explains why I'm the way I am now...)

First PC game I owned was Unreal Tournament. Still remember waiting for the dial-up to connect so I could play online...

I want to say - and think - that my first game at the arcades was probably Punch-Out (arcade version).

Atari 7800 was also my first console. Not sure what the first game that I played on that was, as my dad bought it from someone selling the system and a tons of games - but Galaga and Pong sounds about right here.

For NES, it was probably Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt w/ the light gun; that's what came w/ the system. Those were my first games there. Though, one of my favorites over there has to be River City Ransom. Dragon Warrior 1 was my first RPG; and Final Fantasy 1 was very memorable. Dragon Warrior 3 was also memorable too.

For Genesis, I'd say Sonic was my first game over there. I really enjoyed the Shining Force series and Phantasy Star series of RPG's there. Streets of Rage games ruled.

About Unreal 1 and UT - my gosh, those games ruled. Also was a big fan of MP-based Q3: Arena back in the day, too. RTCW's MP was a lot of fun too.

One of the first PC games I remember playing was Hunt the Wumpus on my TI. The first PC game I bought for myself was likely Dragon's Lair for the Amiga. The first modern day PC game I bought for myself was...Mass Effect 2.

More importantly, my first pizza I bought with my own money was probably from Little Caesars. I was so young and naive.

Little Caesar's used to be much better back before it got so popular and they were just inside of k-mart. Used to be some of my favorite pizza back then.

I don't remember the very first pc game I bought, but it was probably some shareware disk from an office store. I remember replaying the first level of stuff like Wolf 3D and Commander Keen alot.

The first regular game I remember buying was Demon Sword for the Nintendo for $5 at a garage sale. It was between that and Platoon. Not sure any of my choices were good.

The first full PC game I remember buying is Blake Stone, which was pretty good. I also remember getting Coach's Club Football (I think), Phantom of the Opera and Gazillionaire from KB Toys outlet. Those were all actually pretty good.

PepperidgeFarmRemembers.jpg

Oh shareware disks were fun. Pretty much how I grew to love platformers somehow (with Super Mario Bros on the NES as well). All those Apogee games were awesome. I think Secret Agent was likely my favorite with Catacomb Abyss being one I played a lot. I also enjoyed playing Jazz Jackrabbit, which I do feel is clunky as all heck now. 

The first regular game I remember buying was Demon Sword for the Nintendo for $5 at a garage sale. It was between that and Platoon. Not sure any of my choices were good.
Demon Sword was the better choice... It was an average NES game while Platoon was horrible.

I'm not actually sure of the first game I bought with my own money let alone my first PC game... I remember the crash 1983 and being able to go to the closet drug store and buy video games for like a quarter or whatnot. Honestly, they where so cheap it didn't matter if they sucked. I'm sure I bought Atari 2700 games with my own change. (And if it sounds strange to be buying video games at a drug store it was really a different age then. Drug stores stocked a bunch of stuff back then. Like toys from IPs you would recognize and not just generic stuff. Many of my 3 /34 G.I. Joes came from that store.)

I got my first PC in 1992.. So buying games on my own dime was no longer big deal by then...

Oh, man. I remember shareware. Namely the sharewares of Quake and Blood.

Also remember all of the PC Gamer magazine discs & Computer Gaming World magazine discs.

EDIT:

Oh shareware disks were fun. Pretty much how I grew to love platformers somehow (with Super Mario Bros on the NES as well).
I loved SMB 1,2,3 on the NES. Classic stuff.

I loved and played the living hell of SMB3, back in the day.

Do any of you nerds have a Nintendo Switch? I don't, but I'm trying to figure out how to gift an online sub to someone who lives in another region (France). Could someone walk me through this? Thanks.

EDIT: Is it as simple as going to Amazon's France storefront, logging in, and buying a code there?

Do any of you nerds have a Nintendo Switch? I don't, but I'm trying to figure out how to gift an online sub to someone who lives in another region (France). Could someone walk me through this? Thanks.

EDIT: Is it as simple as going to Amazon's France storefront, logging in, and buying a code there?

While I have never purchased a sub on Amazon for another region, on the US Amazon store, questions answered indicate that they will email you a code. So I would think Amazon France would be the same, but not positive.

Last edited:

Do you mean the Nintendo Online pass or something else? Nintendo can be real finicky with regional stuff and gifting. Might be easiest to just send the person the money so they can buy it directly.

First game I ever played was Centipede on my parents' old Atari 7800.
Well if we’re including consoles...

First game I ever played was probably Tetris on Gameboy, though this is getting into when I was a toddler so I have zero recollection—I’m just guessing based on what I know about my parents and what they owned. May also have been an offbrand multigame handheld my grandfather owned.

First I got because I wanted to play it was probably Sonic 2, packed in with my Genesis. By which I mean to say I definitely remember wanting the Genesis, but I don’t actually remember if I specifically wanted Sonic 2; though I played a ton of it, and to this day it’s still pretty nearly my favorite platformer, so I probably did?

First game(s) I got with my own money was Final Fantasy Anthology on the PlayStation, and by that point my parents had gotten so skeptical of video games that I actually had to beg to spend my own money on the damn thing.

I recently bought Music Killer, a game brought to you by the same people who made Music Racer.  Music racer is sort of like Audiosurf but with more arcade driving elements such as drifting.  The level/music matching isn't as good as Audiosurf's but it's still entertaining and a nice chance of pace.

Music Killer though, uh, isn't very good.  It's supposed to be a Devil Daggers-esque shooter set to your music.  In practice, it's a Devil Daggers-esque shooter with levels that last as long as your song.  But your song seems to have no real impact on the game.  In theory, you're supposed to "shoot to the beat" and there's a traveling target that passes through your reticle for you to time your shots with.  That... doesn't really work both because it's timed poorly and because there's a shitload of things that need shooting.  But, even ignoring the target entirely and just shooting stuff, I'd still get 85% accuracy which speaks more about how bad the game is at making this a music/rhythm experience than it does my shooting.  There's leaderboards but every game I played only had me on them, either because it's crap at figuring out what song you're playing, no one else is playing or the servers to store it just don't exist.  In contrast, Music Racer seems to have functioning leaderboards so I know the devs know how to include them.

On the plus side, there is some cool stuff to shoot.  Sometimes.  Retro-neon skulls, spiders, spaceships, leaping dragons and more can attack you, although what you actually get can be hit and miss.  Supposedly your music choice influences this but I couldn't detect any patterns, unlike the swoops and jumps in the music racers.  The guns you get to shoot them with slowly level up from pistol to dual pistols to shotgun, assault rifle, laser, etc but the game will be over too soon to enjoy the good stuff.  Still, props to a game for supplying me with giant space squids to pepper with bullets.

YPJM18P.jpg

Anyway, that was probably more words than a $2.99 game deserved (sale price and cheaper if you own Music Racer) but now you know not to bother.  Unless you just like giant space squids.  That thing is pretty cool.

The first PC game I got was Diablo 1. 

My first few games I got:

Diablo 1

Rainbow 6 (this may have been the first PC game I bought)

Half Life 1

Diablo 2 

The first PC game I got was Diablo 1.

My first few games I got:

Diablo 1

Rainbow 6 (this may have been the first PC game I bought)

Half Life 1

Diablo 2
Geeez, can't go wrong w/ that list. All legendary titles there.

EDIT:

First game I ever played was probably Tetris on Gameboy, though this is getting into when I was a toddler so I have zero recollection—I’m just guessing based on what I know about my parents and what they owned. May also have been an offbrand multigame handheld my grandfather owned.

[snip]

First game(s) I got with my own money was Final Fantasy Anthology on the PlayStation, and by that point my parents had gotten so skeptical of video games that I actually had to beg to spend my own money on the damn thing.
I played the living hell out of Tetris on my NES and Columns on my Genesis, back in the day.

And I loved FFA. FF5 was underrated and I loved the Job system; and FF6 is one of my favorite FF games, right along-side the original FF7.

I still dunno how the hell I did not wind-up w/ FF Chronicles, which had both FF4 and the legendary Chrono Trigger on there. Especially since I loved Chrono Cross so damn much and was a big FF fan, back then.

At least I got CT on Steam now....though, it's still backlogged.

My "first" PC game was likely the OG Oregon Trail

My "first" system was Intellivision (Space Battle game)

The "first" game I bought with my own money was the OG X-Wing (my old mailman and I used to trade games back and forth so we got the opportunity to play games like Doom and Wolf3D)

My "first" upgrade was the 486DX2 upgrade chip to make it a whopping Pentium 90.

My earliest non-Windows PC that I had was a Commodore 64. And no, I don't have that anymore. Someone gave it to me, as they were moving onto Windows. Was a gift, to muck around with. Never forget Sargon chess, as that...was where I began w/ learning how to play chess and whatnot.

My first Windows computer was custom. Bought it at a custom-shop. It was a P133 Mhz PC. DN3D, Quake, MW2: Mercs, classic Fallout 2, and others were ran on there.

My 2nd PC was a Compaq Presario. Don't recall model number; too lazy to dig through stuff. It was on clearance, so...that was it for me. Circuity City, the good old days; miss that place. I was due for a new one. That was also my first AMD PC, too - Athlon with...I think was 700mhz? Trying to recall here. At some point, I had to upgrade and throw in my first video card here: GeForce 2 MX 400. Man, those were the days. Classic Deus Ex 1, BG1+2, PST, and others were ran on that rig.

And right now...here I am, on my aging gaming laptop (Acer Nitro - i7 4720HQ; 4GB 960M; 16 GB RAM; W10 x64) - throwing Quake 2 at it. Running it on Yamagi source port. Good classic stuff. 

While I have never purchased a sub on Amazon for another region, on the US Amazon store, questions answered indicate that they will email you a code. So I would think Amazon France would be the same, but not positive.

Do you mean the Nintendo Online pass or something else? Nintendo can be real finicky with regional stuff and gifting. Might be easiest to just send the person the money so they can buy it directly.
Yes, it's the online thing that's like PS Plus for the PS4--it lets you play stuff online with others.

I will take a stab at buying the code from the French store--worst case scenario, I'm out a Jackson. Thanks.

EDIT: Hm. The store just told me this:
Cet article n’est pas disponible à la vente en raison de restrictions géographiques.

which means in American--you can't buy this due to geographic restrictions. So I guess the Fox was right. :whistle2:(

Heck, even tried using a VPN, but there's no fooling Amazon, apparently.

My "first" PC game was likely the OG Oregon Trail

My "first" system was Intellivision (Space Battle game)

The "first" game I bought with my own money was the OG X-Wing (my old mailman and I used to trade games back and forth so we got the opportunity to play games like Doom and Wolf3D)

My "first" upgrade was the 486DX2 upgrade chip to make it a whopping Pentium 90.
The mailman was your dad.

My first video game was probably Centipede in an arcade.

My first PC game was Crossfire for the IBM PC Jr (not my personal picture, but that's what I remember it looking like). 

My first console was the Atari 2600 w/ Combat pack-in.
My first game bought with my money I really have no idea. I bought stuff with 'birthday money' but not sure that counts as it was given with the intent that is would be spent on NES games. So I'll just say Super Street Fighter II as that was the first one I bought after having a "real" job, not just working in my parents' store.

First videogame had to have been SMB 1. I don't see how it could have been anything else.

First PC game was Unreal Tournament. I remember taking a computer science class in HS and there were probably 20-ish PCs in the room. The teacher would leave the room constantly to do who the hell knows what and tell us to work on our assignment. We'd all play UT over LAN instead.

And the pizza boy had to walk uphill, both ways, in the snow, to deliver your pies. Extra toppings were only a nickel! Young'ns these days. Pfft (stands up from the toilet and empties his pipe into the bowl)
I grew up in a small town and they had a Little Caesars pizza in a shopping center that had the buy one get one free special all the time. Their pizza was a thousand times better then than it is now. Now, you get what you pay for basically.

I used to like Papa Gino's (chain) around here, but finding a good one can be hit or miss. And there ain't as many around here of those as there used to be either.

Little Caesar's was alright - but yep, like you all said, definitely not as good as it used to be.

I do like Bertucci's for chains around here though. A bit pricey, but they're quite good.

Problem is: in this area (around Boston and within Boston), there's lots of smaller & local pizza shops and whatnot. And of course, you got a lot of good-to-great pizza not that far from here either - Santarpio's (original), Pizzeria Regina (North End), Capone's (Weymouth), etc etc.

My first computer was a 286 or 386 I can't remember with 1 MB of Ram and a 40 MB hard dive with a VGA monitor. It was like $1500 back in 89/90 and I thought it was the best thing ever.  

First Video Game Played: Some poker game on a neighbor's TRS-80 in the late 70s

First Video Game Owned: Tie between Donkey Kong, Turbo, Cosmic Avenger and Smurfs for the Colecovision one lucky Christmas morning

First Console: The above mentioned Colecovision

First Computer: A Commodore Plus/4; a failed 'business' home computer. It luckily died within a month and was already discontinued. The salesman let us put the credit towards a Commodore 128.  The Plus/4 came with some pirate text adventure, the 128 was mainly played in C-64 mode and I had a bajillion games, most downloaded from warez BBS's or traded.

First PC-Compatible: Some awful Tandy I got that was discontinued a week later.  My first real Windows PC was a Packard Bell 486 in the mid-late 90s.  It was crap but I mainly just played Civ II and hung out on mIRC.  I remember the sound would stop working once a week and I'd have to go fix the IRQ settings despite having not touched them since last time.

Around 2000, I broke up with my live-in girlfriend who left, tragically taking her PC and our shared Everquest account with her.  I still owned that Packard Bell, so I bought some refurbished Compaq with a low end K6-2 processor off a website.  It came and didn't work and I was dreading having to try to send it back but decided to open it up just for kicks, despite having no idea what to do inside.  Turned out the jumper off the power button was loose and it was actually a simple fix.  That computer was my first video card upgrade (and lesson in disabling onboard video) and got me into doing my own tinkering.  It was a pretty trashy computer but credit where due.

First Computer: A Commodore Plus/4; a failed 'business' home computer. It luckily died within a month and was already discontinued. The salesman let us put the credit towards a Commodore 128. The Plus/4 came with some pirate text adventure, the 128 was mainly played in C-64 mode and I had a bajillion games, most downloaded from warez BBS's or traded.

First PC-Compatible: Some awful Tandy I got that was discontinued a week later. My first real Windows PC was a Packard Bell 486 in the mid-late 90s. It was crap but I mainly just played Civ II and hung out on mIRC. I remember the sound would stop working once a week and I'd have to go fix the IRQ settings despite having not touched them since last time.
Man, you had a 128?

I got my first computer at the tender age of 8, a brand-spanking-new Commodore 64. When I got into high school, I got a Commodore Amiga 1000, a computer that was WAY ahead of its time in terms of multimedia capabilities AND it had TWO 3.5" floppy drives (that's right--not one, TWO!). I think 386s were still futzing around with feeble EGA graphics and whatever horrendous string of beeps passed for music from the motherboard's built-in speaker. Sadly, Commodore and Atari couldn't compete in the long run. . . .

First Video Game Played: Some poker game on a neighbor's TRS-80 in the late 70s
First Video Game Owned: Tie between Donkey Kong, Turbo, Cosmic Avenger and Smurfs for the Colecovision one lucky Christmas morning
First Console: The above mentioned Colecovision
First Computer: A Commodore Plus/4; a failed 'business' home computer. It luckily died within a month and was already discontinued. The salesman let us put the credit towards a Commodore 128. The Plus/4 came with some pirate text adventure, the 128 was mainly played in C-64 mode and I had a bajillion games, most downloaded from warez BBS's or traded.
First PC-Compatible: Some awful Tandy I got that was discontinued a week later. My first real Windows PC was a Packard Bell 486 in the mid-late 90s. It was crap but I mainly just played Civ II and hung out on mIRC. I remember the sound would stop working once a week and I'd have to go fix the IRQ settings despite having not touched them since last time.

Around 2000, I broke up with my live-in girlfriend who left, tragically taking her PC and our shared Everquest account with her. I still owned that Packard Bell, so I bought some refurbished Compaq with a low end K6-2 processor off a website. It came and didn't work and I was dreading having to try to send it back but decided to open it up just for kicks, despite having no idea what to do inside. Turned out the jumper off the power button was loose and it was actually a simple fix. That computer was my first video card upgrade (and lesson in disabling onboard video) and got me into doing my own tinkering. It was a pretty trashy computer but credit where due.
mIRC ... that is a blast from the past!

People still use IRC, you know.
That I don’t doubt, but I haven’t personally used it since High School (i’ll be 40 this year).

When I think of mIRC here’s what comes to mind:

1) chatting with girls all night while consuming milk and cookies with unlimited metabolism. this lead to many written letters, some phone calls, a few in person meetings, and even a romantic hookup (1995-1996...i was way ahead of my time here imo)

2) using mIRC add ons and scripting that could cause mischief with user dialup connections.

3) I remember having a 9600 baud netcom connection that took 20 minutes to load the list of chatrooms. i also remember being able to send a simple command from #2 that could kill another netcom user session

4) #3 reminds me of late night duke nukem 3d dialup deathmatch with friends. we edited custom map lists using this cd of like 1500 maps

5) downloading mp3 files via mIRC (took like 45 minutes for a single song)

6) my dad’s gateway 486 computer, dos games on 3.5” floppy disks (wolf3d, doom, quest for glory, freddy pharkas, mortal kombat, life and death, etc) and early cd-rom games in all their video glory (especially win 3.1 games before upgrading to win 95)

7) getting a 28.8 modem upgrade and leaving 9600 baud in the dust.

that’s enough lol...thanks for the memories!

mirc is/was good for piracy. all you kids use torrent or ddl these days, but i love going to a mirc search engine, getting the command, and going to the server and pinging the bot with a command that looks like

/msg weedlord420 xdcc send #69

those are/were the days

For you Domino's fans (certainly not me here)...

NewEgg is doing buy a $20 Electronic GC, get an extra $5 Electronic GC while supplies last.

Now all we need now is a deal on shoes and some actual games...

For you Domino's fans (certainly not me here)...

NewEgg is doing buy a $20 Electronic GC, get an extra $5 Electronic GC while supplies last.

Now all we need now is a deal on shoes and some actual games...
Kohls has filas brand on sale for 25 iirc plus the 25-30-40% off mystery coupon if you have that knocking them down to 17$ a pair with 40%. I'm sad that all the colors I wanted were out of stock and they didn't have my size so I had to go a size up. But can't beat that price imo.

Random game of the day of was 199X. This has you playing you controlling a girl named Clara in a hospital. It's pretty much a I guess close to an hour and a half RPGMaker game. It tries to be pretty pretentious but honestly it was kind of a lame story. I mean it wasn't pure terrible, but it wasn't too great. It was kind of like a visual novel, but a little less together. It had some OK music and OK atmosphere, but yeah it wasn't too great. I like playing these games to make me appreciate just about all the other games, and in this case it will make me appreciate other RPGs and VNs. So yeah I beat it and yeah don't waste your time. 5/10

I also completed Plug & Play. WTF did I just play. It was artsy for sure and lots of plugs and some playing but yeah I don't know. I completed the game in 13 minutes. Honestly I slightly enjoyed that more than 199X. Just yeah don't buy this either. Weird for weirds sake, though the graphics were somewhat nice. 5/10

I also played 28 Waves Later for approximately 5 minutes. This is lame. Very basic graphics in a top down zombie shooter game. It had a story where you play a scientist, but I'm not this bored. Just felt bland. 4/10

One last one was Wells. This was a 2.5Dish run and gun shooter. Honestly this had OK graphics and played well enough. The controls were a bit wonky on my XBOX 360 controller and also with mouse and keyboard. This one had some heart and effort put into it. It still was a bit flawed. Full 360 degree gun control and multiple guns made this one kind of fun. I kept dying cause of controls and got to a lame driving stage, so I had my hour fun with it. 5.5/10

bread's done
Back