Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
ORIGINAL POST - 6:50pm EST:

No Man's Sky is in the Xbox for PC Game Pass, for anyone that is looking to give this a shot.

Just spent a little over 2 hours with this.

And...I don't know what to make of it. The game had me in space to start, showing me all kinds of planets/stars as I was going by, to open the game. I was left floored with: "Damn, how huge is the scale of this game?" Yet, a part of me was like, for the few minutes, "So, am I gonna wind-up on a planet...or what?"

I was also annoyed by performance, in space, in this opening. Bouncing wildly b/t 15fps to 60fps, I was like "I hope it ain't gonna perform like this on a planet, once stuff gets going." And thankfully, at 1080p and mostly high settings - yeah, runs at a smooth 60fps, once on a planet. Though, ain't seen any players or anyone out here on the planet here that I'm on either.

This feels like a grind-fest. Gather things, craft stuff, do stuff - repeat cycle endlessly. I've had to build a scanner, rebuild a whole part of pieces to ship. Still not done w/ the ship. Had to refine some stuff I found on the planet. Died once. Went back to my death spot and got my lost inventory back.

But, my Gosh - this game looks great. I love the care to detail everywhere. The plants, the animals, the caves, the details, the world - everything is on an epic scope and scale, with details everywhere. Scanning stuff,  once you build the scanner, is cool; reminding me of when in ME: Andromeda you scanned something and got XP for it. There's something to this game, as the amount of details just on this one planet is staggering. And it feels like anything here, I can interact with - ships, plants, whatever. I just don't feel like...well, there's not many players online or NPC's to interact with here. It feels lonely out here - and I would guess, that this is also the point of the game, too: to make you feel like a lonely soul out there in space.

It all, at least right now, feels very laid back and cool. But, man - I do wish there was some real assemblance of a campaign, story, character, or something...to keep me wanting to go around in this sandbox, while not doing a typical campaign. B/c after 2 hours, I wonder if there's more to this game than that loop of gameplay, exploring, crafting, and grinding.

But, I'm still curious - and going to try to kick this around on and off, here and there...b/c this feels like an interesting title to just sandbox around for a little while.

EDIT - 8:30pm EST:

So, another 40 minutes or so spent with this one.

I repaired the ship and got it off the ground, out into space. The seamless transitions & travel from the ground to the sky; then just flying out in space; and to then just landing your ship down on the ground is so awesome. On this planet I'm on now, I now have monsters flat-out attacking me. I'm shooting them w/ my mining tool/gun, zipping around in my jetpack to avoid them, moving around, and whatnot. I still have to grind to find plants, items, craft stuff, as now I'm rebuilding a computer for a mission - but, this feels a bit more entertaining than earlier. Feels like there's a little bit more going on here, which this title feels like it needs.

This Itch.Io bundle keeps getting more and more stacked. Incredible.
Just be warned, a whole bunch of download pages have disappeared from the recent GDC Relief Bundle. I wouldn't expect anything different from this one, so I guess download what you can now (and hope they'll be the first games in history that won't ever need any patches or updates).

Itch.io isn't reliable and doesn't keep things up. Creators can freely take the download pages down whenever they want, and do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be warned, a whole bunch of download pages have disappeared from the recent GDC Relief Bundle. I wouldn't expect anything different from this one, so I guess download what you can now (and hope they'll be the first games in history that won't ever need any patches or updates).

Itch.io isn't reliable and doesn't keep things up. Creators can freely take the download pages down whenever they want, and do.
We talking big, reputable games or like weird crap that no one is going to play or like anyway?

No Man's Sky had the same issue for me that Subnautica did: Here's a vast mysterious alien world full of wonder and we're going to bother you every fifty seconds about food/water/oxygen/etc to remind you that this is just a video game.  And it's never even shit that's hard to find, it's just pointless busywork to pull you out of the moment (or make sure the moment never gets established).

In Subnautica's defense, you could at least turn that stuff off if you didn't mind playing casual mode.

We talking big, reputable games or like weird crap that no one is going to play or like anyway?
I would hope the big, reputable games developers and publishers would be smarter than that.
But, these are indie devs and well, history has shown us that crazy devs do exist.

I always like hearing about kids watching horror movies.

My earliest movie memory was of a horror movie I saw when I was 3-4.
My grandparents essentially raised me. My grandpa was a retired WWII pilot who became a groundskeeper at a nursing home, and my grandma worked as a nurse in a mental hospital. I got myself breakfast and got to school on my own from a young age, then my grandpa would pick me up and teach me trade skills after school. Mom and dad picked me up after dinner and brought me home.

Both of my parents came from families where their parents got remarried multiple times and they were passed around. They worked hard, and when they weren't working they would smoke and drink and have friends over. I was present in that atmosphere for as long as I can remember. I just think they didn't know what to do and let me do whatever they did.

Pretty sure I watched all of the messed up shit an adult would from a very young age. I'd be like 6, hiding under the table and peeking through my fingers at movies like Hellraiser, while my dad and uncle drank beer and laughed at me. But I still watched them all, and it definitely turned me more pessimistic and stoic way before I was ready. The common theme was that I felt safe watching them from under a table. Most of my nights were dreamless, but I remember taking naps at my grandparent's house and dreaming that I was fighting and winning against all of the evil monsters I kept seeing.

Jump scares still make me jump, but I've been desensitized to other forms of horror. The only thing that creeps me out these days are acid trip visuals like those in Aeon Flux. Used to love that show when I was 8...

Amazing. Though since I just dropped a ton of hours into P5R last month and also planinum'd P4G last year, I will wait a bit (sale?) before buying. I wonder if it has support for 3440x1440?

Steam tells me, "This game doesn't look like other things you've played in the past. As such we don't have much information on whether or not you might be interested in it."

^This could not be more wrong. :shock:
It's already on sale for 16.99 as if to mock your post.

Is there a reddit where someone's wasted their time to keep record of the bundle's removals?

From what I've seen it still needs a lot of polish so I'd hold off until it gets closer to launch.  There will also be a character wipe.

From what I've seen it still needs a lot of polish so I'd hold off until it gets closer to launch. There will also be a character wipe.
Also, it's online-only right - as that's a huge complaint in the Steam-user reviews.

Yup, gonna wait til the real Version 1.0 at the very least (or even later when it gets cheaper), when it supposed to finally have offline mode.

PC Gamer on Weird West:
https://www.pcgamer.com/weird-west-is-a-dark-rpg-made-up-of-five-interconnected-stories/

Info:
- Raphael Colantonio is the lead on this game w/ Wolf Eye Studios (a while ago, he founded Arkane Studios a while back...before leaving).
- Rafael Colantonio's influences here for Weird West are: Deus Ex, Thief & Dishonored (immersive sims).
- Rafael's other influences here: Fallout & Ultima 7 (old-school CRPG's with isometric viewpoints).
- This game-world is a mix of Old West setting, Deadlands & Stephen King's Dark Tower.
- Combat is similar to twin-stick shooter type of games, but also with RPG elements on top of it.
- There are stealth & sound systems here, similar to that of Deus Ex & Colantonio's other games (from Arkane).
- Game will be more determined by your actions in real-time than your stats.
- You have a story with a few interconnected main quests here.
- Each character in your own part has their own story.
- So once you finish one character's main story, you move onto the next one.
- So once you start the next character's story, you might need to find other party member(s) again...
- ...as other party members might have went off on their own, once their own story was finished.
- Death is an element of the game. If party members die and you don't revive they, they're dead...
- ...But b/c of the supernatural elements, they could come back at supernatural beings (undead, ghosts, etc).
- Some enemies you kill can return and can come after you, as supernatural beings.

Video from Youtube with gameplay & interview with Rafael Colantonio from PC Gamer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_rfE6fbpaU

I have a question about buying aftermarket laptop batteries.  I know that you guys frown upon buying laptops, but I happened to dig out an old ASUS Eee PC netbook that I bought on clearance sometime around 2008 just to see if I could get any of the games from the recent itch.io Racial Equality bundle to work on it.  Most of those games are very low-end, and I was able to get a few to run, but that's not the problem.

The netbook will run if it's plugged into the wall, but the battery won't hold a charge.  I'd probably enjoy tooling around with the netbook for fun, but I'm afraid to buy a third-party battery for it.  Can anyone suggest a place where I might be able to get a first-party battery other than contacting ASUS?

I would imagine your options are limited on parts for a 12 year old netbook. I would probably be hesitant using an off brand battery in my current everyday rig but for tooling around on something that old for fun, I would choose the most economical option.

I would imagine your options are limited on parts for a 12 year old netbook. I would probably be hesitant using an off brand battery in my current everyday rig but for tooling around on something that old for fun, I would choose the most economical option.
Yeah, I don't expect to turn it on all that often. After doing some research, I discovered that the model in question was known for having difficulty with normal charging because of a problem with the resistors. I'm not a techie, but I might try to fix it as a side project.

http://hardware-today.com/articles/notebooks/how_to_solve_charging_problems_with_asus_eee_pc_x101ch_acer_aspire_one_d270_and_lenovo_s10_2

I gave you all a break yesterday, only so I could slam you with more itch.io deep dive reviews/impressions today!

PHN-HOME: This is a poster child for "Just watch it on Youtube".  A short game ("game") where you wake up to a phone ringing.  You stumble though your poorly lit home to find it, just to get a dial tone and hear another phone.  Rinse and repeat, getting gradually weirder and building up strong... then hitting a wall with a stupid puzzle portion that completely blows the tension and mood.  Then an unsatisfying ending [editor's note: insert mom joke here] that, frankly, I'm not sure it's even worth the 20min watch on Youtube.

KeyCars: A cute little racer where you press a key on your keyboard and it spawns a moving car that turns right when you press that key again... and that's it.  If someone else hits a key, they spawn a car that does the same.  Pressing Space will spawn a CPU controlled car.  You basically just bumble about on the rooftop track, trying not to fall off the edge, knock other cars off and maybe get some power-ups.  Basic, but cute with bright whimsical graphics.  If it had online play it might be fun for a little while but, alas, local keyboard only.

Glitch Strike: A computer board game with minimalist graphics where you place parts on a board to defeat the CPU's parts and reach his core.  It has a incredibly long exposition dump at the beginning all about cyber stuff and people living in the matrix and God only knows what to justify a fairly basic board game as hard core hacking.  If you can get past the beginning, the game was okay although it didn't really hook me.

Hot Pot Panic: Should be called "Asshole Friend Simulator", this game starts with your friend inviting you out for dinner at an all-you-can-eat hot pot restaurant.  You try to figure out how to cook enough food and shove it down your gullet while giving your friend the bare minimum of vague questions to avoid insulting them so they don't leave.  Time your cooking so your food doesn't burn while feigning giving a shit.  Mediocre graphics and the game play was frankly kind of boring.

MonGirl Tile: A deck builder game with some plot about stopping a demon invasion via playing a tile game.  Lay tiles on a board and try to flip the opponents by having a higher number on the edge.  Elemental powers add an extra aspect of strategy and winning allows you to take one of your opponent's tiles and add it to your library or deck.  Your opponents and the tiles are anime monster girls because of course they are but the graphics are crisp, colorful and attractive (even if you're not into slime girls) and the game play was legitimately entertaining.  Easily the winner of this batch.

I have a question about buying aftermarket laptop batteries. I know that you guys frown upon buying laptops, but I happened to dig out an old ASUS Eee PC netbook that I bought on clearance sometime around 2008 just to see if I could get any of the games from the recent itch.io Racial Equality bundle to work on it. Most of those games are very low-end, and I was able to get a few to run, but that's not the problem.

The netbook will run if it's plugged into the wall, but the battery won't hold a charge. I'd probably enjoy tooling around with the netbook for fun, but I'm afraid to buy a third-party battery for it. Can anyone suggest a place where I might be able to get a first-party battery other than contacting ASUS?
I remember I bought a used EEE from GoodWill a few years back and it was the worst thing in the world. I tried putting Linux on it to see if it would run somewhat respectable and nope. I was finally able to trade it in to BestBuy during one of their promos and get more than I paid for it and was happy to rid myself of it. I'd highly doubt you'd be able to find a first party battery for that anymore. I'm sure they stopped making them and any left are just as old as your notebook so they're no good. I just go on Amazon and get the best reviewed/best priced battery from a third party chinese seller. I haven't had any explosions so far. You never know too, I bought a company from some sketchy company like 12 years ago - it was called Anker - and look at them now.

Heh, we still have an old Toshiba netbook collecting dust in the bedroom.  It was a piece of crap when we bought it and it's a piece of crap now.  I just picked it up and was amazed at how awful the keyboard feels on it, plus that underpowered Atom processor.  It was a blessing that the iPad and then widespread tablet usage came out a year after netbooks and smothered them in the cradle.

MonTile Girls sounds like my type of game :drool: .
MonGirl Tile actually, I messed up the name before editing. Unicorn girls aren't really my thing but the game is fun on its own merits and looks bright and cheerful. I'll be dropping it into my "Keep this" folder.

I guess a couple games have been removed from the bundle (including one that the dev said was an error and will come back and another just taken down off itch.io) so, while I'm not seriously concerned, I'm running the script linked in the Itcho.io bundle thread just to put stuff in my library. Aside from the totally gone game, it sounds like if you claim it, you keep it even if it's pulled.

I have a question about buying aftermarket laptop batteries. I know that you guys frown upon buying laptops, but I happened to dig out an old ASUS Eee PC netbook that I bought on clearance sometime around 2008 just to see if I could get any of the games from the recent itch.io Racial Equality bundle to work on it. Most of those games are very low-end, and I was able to get a few to run, but that's not the problem.

The netbook will run if it's plugged into the wall, but the battery won't hold a charge. I'd probably enjoy tooling around with the netbook for fun, but I'm afraid to buy a third-party battery for it. Can anyone suggest a place where I might be able to get a first-party battery other than contacting ASUS?
Similar to 'likeAfox' I've just bought batteries from Amazon. Yeah, they're all Chinese knock-off replacements, but nothing has caught on fire. I've bought relpacement batteries (and chargers) for Dells, HPs, and I think even an Acer for my sister. It should work 'good enough' for a year or two.

I don't get SMT or Persona.  I've tried... like it just felt like there were better games out there.  I even owned a Vita.  Like it talks about all this role play but all I remember is having to do stupid stuff to level monsters or whatever and then if you didn't follow a very thorough guide you couldn't even do it all.. you had to go play a second time (which I hate)

I don't get SMT or Persona. I've tried... like it just felt like there were better games out there. I even owned a Vita. Like it talks about all this role play but all I remember is having to do stupid stuff to level monsters or whatever and then if you didn't follow a very thorough guide you couldn't even do it all.. you had to go play a second time (which I hate)
you either grew up playing 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit jrpgs or you didn't.

you have to love the grind, the collecting of rare weapons and equipment, and the skill inheritance.

It's the same thing as some people thinking folks who like Rogue and Rogue-likes for hundreds of hours are super weird. We've all got different roots.

Just saw this comment on Steamgifts thread about itchy bundle...

"Neversong has been removed from this bundle because it was requested to be added by a user impersonating its' creator."

I was actually interested in that one...

Not that I was going to play it, but it was nice to think I could play it.

Just saw this comment on Steamgifts thread about itchy bundle...

"Neversong has been removed from this bundle because it was requested to be added by a user impersonating its' creator."
I'm surprised you don't have to add a game via some developer game portal but then itch.io hasn't exactly struck me as a fully assembled product in my experience so far.

Someday our kids will be telling people "Look, either you grew up with microtransaction-laden Games-As-Service with a million map icons to grind or you didn't"

Seriously, no judgment though.  I have my soothing grind games (*cough*Division 2*cough*) and have been at this long enough that I'm sure I have tons of nostalgia blind spots.  JRPGs aren't one of them but that's because I played on a computer and it was all western stuff like Bards Tale, Might & Magic, Ultima, Wizardy and SSI Gold Box games.

I'm not saying grind games don't have fun, just like sometimes the grind gets pointless (cough) Destiny 2 (cough).  It's just a game I never understood the high rating because I have played SMT's and other games just seemed to do it better.   I'd play the crap out of a new version of Elite Beat Agents on PC though.   ;)

Guerilla Collective added more demos today.

I played Neon Abyss and Speed Limit last night. Neon Abyss is totally my type of game, like a side-scrolling Binding of Isaac. Looking forward to that one although I might wait for it to appear in a bundle since it seems like total bundle fodder.

I liked Speed Limit, but either I sucked at it or it needs some kind of adjustment because it was playing the same segment of game over and over and over again. Maybe if it had checkpoints or you could take more than 1 shot or they changed up the enemies some on each run it would be more fun. They ran another trailer for it today and it really focused on the game changing perspectives but I couldn't get past the first segment in the demo to see if that's even in there. Also, given the current climate it felt a bit weird to be murdering cops over and over again in this light-hearted game. 

Was hoping that the removed games wouldn't also be removed from my account after adding them via the Tampermonkey extension, but they were. GOG Galaxy integration for itch doesn't yet implement a way to download the installers, though they still appear as owned via that plugin. It'll be interesting to see if I have pathways to the removed executables if that feature is ever added, since I'd totally play those "pirated" games over anything I own legitimately.

Not going to lose sleep over the ability to download games from devs who intentionally remove them from a racial equality charity bundle, though. Kind of expect the ones who had their games added by "fake accounts" to add the games back in legally as a sign of good faith. People don't exactly become millionaires through itch, so it's weird to do that for monetary reasons; and frankly, if they don't support the cause, then I'm not really interested in their work. Most people would rather spend more money to buy the games via clients like Steam that have automatic updates and other QoL features than keep track of all the versioning themselves, anyway.

Persona 4: Golden PC sets a New Steam Record - Most Concurrent players playing in a Non-MMO JRPG on Steam:

https://www.vg247.com/2020/06/14/persona-4-golden-most-concurrent-players-steam/

Persona 4 Golden has already smashed the record for the most concurrently played JRPG on Steam – excluding MMOs – in the platform’s history.

The news originally appeared over on ResetEra, where a user shared current Persona 4 Golden analytics.

Apparently, Final Fantasy 15 previously held the record for most concurrent players in a non-MMO JRPG on Steam – according to Steam Charts, that was approximately 29,279 people.
At the time of the ResetEra post, Persona 4 Golden had 29,984 players – and the count keeps going up.

Neversong just came out a few weeks ago and was funded through kickstarter.  Not surprised it didn't stay in the bundle, regardless of whether it was added illegitimately or the dev just got cold feet.  

On an unrelated note, lol at the Torchlight 3 reviews.  I guess I can take that one off the wishlist.

bread's done
Back