Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Even if we say that later acquisition disqualifies it (I disagree since there's a reason why MS spent a bajillion dollars to buy it but whatever), I'd go with Angry Birds as best known indie. If we disqualify that, you still have plenty of titles like Terraria or FTL that would take the crown.

Or Woodle Tree Adventures. Everyone owns a copy of Woodle Tree Adventures.
Obviously I was joking about the MS thing. I mean I don't really care about whatever boasts they are using to advertise, but I think technically Cave Story was one of the first indies to blow up and a lot of other indies followed their model 10 years ago. Minecraft is better known, that much is obvious, but I think as far as attainable success and a model an average indie dev could follow for success, Cave Story was on the leading edge of that. It's not like Minecraft can say "JUST MAKE A REALLY UNIQUE ADDICTIVE GAME"

Even if we say that later acquisition disqualifies it (I disagree since there's a reason why MS spent a bajillion dollars to buy it but whatever)
It said "most well-known indie game of all time", not "most well-known game which is still currently owned by an independent game studio".

That's exactly what Minecraft is.
I think you misunderstood. Yes, Minecraft is a really unique and addictive game. That's not a formula that can easily be replicated my indie studios, whereas the Cave Story model of success is one that can be more easily replicated by indie studios. That is why Minecraft can't say "just do as we did" because what they did is very rare and most indie studios won't be developing the next worldwide phenomenon.

Even if we say that later acquisition disqualifies it (I disagree since there's a reason why MS spent a bajillion dollars to buy it but whatever), I'd go with Angry Birds as best known indie. If we disqualify that, you still have plenty of titles like Terraria or FTL that would take the crown.

Or Woodle Tree Adventures. Everyone owns a copy of Woodle Tree Adventures.
or Bad Rats?

I think you misunderstood. Yes, Minecraft is a really unique and addictive game. That's not a formula that can easily be replicated my indie studios, whereas the Cave Story model of success is one that can be more easily replicated by indie studios. That is why Minecraft can't say "just do as we did" because what they did is very rare and most indie studios won't be developing the next worldwide phenomenon.
As far as the classical indie model of single-man project developed really quickly, Minecraft is precisely that. And of all the examples of that, it was by far the most successful.

As far as influence and a source of inspiration or aspiration for other indie devs, it's clearly by far the most influential. If you're giving extra credit for being early, then Dwarf Fortress probably takes home the cake, but the direct influences of Minecraft on indie studios are incredibly clear: sandbox, exploration, procedural generation, rogue-like elements etc. Some of those it got very clearly from Dwarf Fortress, but I think the way in which they are so hugely influential even today is via Minecraft directly, and only via Dwarf Fortress insofar as it goes through Minecraft.

You have the more overt influences, from studios like Re-Logic or Klei basically making their own versions of Minecraft (and experiencing enormous, repeatable success, I might add), but even something more technical, like the idea of Minecraft being coded in a high-level language like Java that a single coder could easily hack together, are all extremely influential on how indies are made today.

Even Minecraft's paid alpha release was a sort of forbearer to the concept of "early access" that dominates indie, and even outside indie, today (again, it got that mainly from Dwarf Fortress, although it turned the donation model into a mandatory one).

I think even the fact that it also wasn't just another 2D platformer was also a huge deal for influence on indies and proving that not every indie game needs to be a 2D platformer for it to be developed by a one-man team and be well received.

And still over a decade later, it's by far the most currently influential game, period, on modern indie games developers. I mean, the talk of the indie world at this very second is Teardown, which definitely falls on the more overt influences side of things.

Not only can indie developers look to Minecraft for replicatable, realistic models of success, they very clearly do and have been for over a decade, and do so looking at Minecraft by far more than any other title.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as the classical indie model of single-man project developed really quickly, Minecraft is precisely that. And of all the examples of that, it was by far the most successful.

As far as influence and a source of inspiration or aspiration for other indie devs, it's clearly by far the most influential. If you're giving extra credit for being early, then Dwarf Fortress probably takes home the cake, but the direct influences of Minecraft on indie studios are incredibly clear: sandbox, exploration, procedural generation, rogue-like elements etc. Some of those it got very clearly from Dwarf Fortress, but I think the way in which they are so hugely influential even today is via Minecraft directly, and only via Dwarf Fortress insofar as it goes through Minecraft.

You have the more overt influences, from studios like Re-Logic or Klei basically making their own versions of Minecraft (and experiencing enormous, repeatable success, I might add), but even something more technical, like the idea of Minecraft being coded in a high-level language like Java that a single coder could easily hack together, are all extremely influential on how indies are made today.

Even Minecraft's paid alpha release was a sort of forbearer to the concept of "early access" that dominates indie, and even outside indie, today (again, it got that mainly from Dwarf Fortress, although it turned the donation model into a mandatory one).

I think even the fact that it also wasn't just another 2D platformer was also a huge deal for influence on indies and proving that not every indie game needs to be a 2D platformer for it to be developed by a one-man team and be well received.

And still over a decade later, it's by far the most currently influential game, period, on modern indie games developers. I mean, the talk of the indie world at this very second is Teardown, which definitely falls on the more overt influences side of things.

Not only can indie developers look to Minecraft for replicatable, realistic models of success, they very clearly do and have been for over a decade, and do so looking at Minecraft by far more than any other title.
Bro, I honesty really don't care that much.

All this conversation about Cave Story+ being "arguably the most well-known indie game of all time" but noone has talked about Nicalis' shady business practices and all the unfairness surrounding CS+.

Hereby I summon @Foxhack.

https://twitter.com/HBJohnXuandou/status/1331205136417341440

Meh... I didn't spend a lot of time looking into things, but from what I understand even though Pixel retained the rights to distribute the freeware version, Nicalis owns the IP for CS and CS+.  The freeware version is still available, so that part of the tweet is wrong.

So, because the community "remake", CSE2, uses decompiled/reverse engineered code from the original version, Nicalis decided to DMCA the remake.

I am a complete idiot though, so feel free to do your own research.

*Candy Crush has entered the chat*

Fakeybro update.

Immortals Fenyx Rising is a lot of fun.  The combat isn't super complex but it feels good and just roaming around there is stuff to discover everywhere (and a lot of puzzles) so however long the game is, probably multiply that by 2 or 3 if you are an explorer.  It also looks great (outside of the almost creepy character models anyway), and isn't super demanding.  3440x1440 with everything at very high on 1080 TI and the fps in combat and in the open world where there is a lot of detail was hovering 60-65 most of the time.  It was more like 85-90 in some enclosed areas with less for the card to do.  It has some microtransaction stuff but it is just a bunch of skins and the like and you find so much gear that looks good to begin with that you do not need them for your character to have some bling. 

There are also some free skins you can earn right now, finishing the Stadia demo gets you a gladiator helm and armor set and if you watch people stream on Twitch and look for streams that say "extension enhanced" you can collect monsters in some little mini-game thing that gets you ice-themed weapon skins.  Having said that, the minigame is time-consuming if you try to get the last piece, the rest of it is easy to get.  I only bothered because I was watching someone stream while trying to decide if I wanted to get it now and play it immediately or wait until it was cheaper.    

Well, this is not good at all.

Mark Darrah (Dragon Age series producer) and Casey Hudson (Mass Effect, SW:KOTOR, and Anthem) are both leaving BioWare:
I don't care about Mass Effect so no opinion there. DA2 was a big disappointment and DA:I was okay but barely a return to form (boosted by not being DA2). I have a hard time worrying that Bioware will lose some Dragon Age "magic" with a change of personnel.

That magic has been gone for a long time now.  Hudson's second time leaving.  Came back for the "contribution" of anthem.

I do care about Mass Effect but this point all I can hope is that the remaster isn't somehow ruined.

The Two Doctors, Trent Oster, Alan Miranda, Drew K., David Gaider, Jennifer Hepler, Brent Knowles, Mike Laidlaw, Mark Darrah, Casey Hudson (twice!) - seriously, all this talent have left over the years.

This is just so sad.

Old BioWare is basically DEAD.

That magic has been gone for a long time now. Hudson's second time leaving. Came back for the "contribution" of anthem.

I do care about Mass Effect but this point all I can hope is that the remaster isn't somehow ruined.
Hudson is one of two people who wrote the ending to ME3.

Honestly, the last good day Bioware had was the first time Hudson left.

Bioware's Magic/Sci Fi tech is long gone.

Larian Studios will save us.  I'm glad that someone has picked up the slack where old school Bioware left off. 

Though I was pretty surprised after my 134 hour playthrough of Divnity 2 this year.  It was a great game but it was not much of a step forward from Div 1 as I expected after hearing and reading so much praise for sequel over the last few years.  I still recommend to anyone thinking about playing these games to start with Div:OS 1.  The sequel has some quality of life improvements, but that's about it. 

Expectations are a funny thing.  When you go into games or movies with high expectations from the universal praise it received, you can often feel let down.   It's so much better going into things with low expectations. 

Larian Studios will save us.  I'm glad that someone has picked up the slack where old school Bioware left off. 
What happened to Bioware? How did they go from being one of the best companies to a total joke that puts out crappy, buggy software?

What happened to Bioware? How did they go from being one of the best companies to a total joke that puts out crappy, buggy software?
The long & short of it: EA bought them out.

That (EA buying them) was the start of their ending, if you know EA's history of gutting and eventually killing companies - BullFrog, Maxis, WestWood, Origin, Pandemic, Black Box, etc etc.

It's hard to say, when things really began to go downhill. Some might point at after DAO, Brent Knowles left b/c EA wanted DA2 to go in a different direction and DA2 was going to be pushed out FAST. Some might point at ME3's ending controversy (but not the rest of the game). Some that didn't like DAI might point how it became UbiSoft-like and Skyrim-like in many ways, if they weren't thrilled w/ that direction. Many will probably finally point at ME:A, for the disappointment it was...compared to the ME:A Trilogy. And if some still were with BioWare even after ME:A, Anthem might finally be that nail in the coffin.

It's been either "on" or "off" w/ BioWare since DA2.

Heck, I'll even go as far as saying: NWN1 (original base-game) was the real first BW disappointment for me. Yes, they've had great stuff after that (NWN: Hordes, Jade Empire, KOTOR, Mass Effect Trilogy, DAO, DAI) - but, that was when I got first disappointed with them (especially after how amazing BG2 and TOB was).

I don't think they've recovered since ME:A...and Anthem probably only added more fuel to the fire.

Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins were the last two great BioWare games ... they’re currently at about the level of Rare to me right now, which is to say basically dead outside of the nostalgia. And I was excited for Anthem ... until I played it. There’s a good game somewhere in there, but it’s not anywhere near a good game overall.

Dragon Age: Origins on PC with all the DLC is a great game ... great spiritual successor / modern take on Baldur’s Gate games without the D&D license. The original Mass Effect game probably has the best storyline in the series, but is held back by some rough design choices that haven’t aged well. Both were great for their time, but haven’t aged particularly well. I put them in the same mental space as Fallout 1 and 2 ... games I love but that take a lot of effort to get back into and are nearly impossible to convince new players to pick up in 2020.

If those are the “great” ones, I’m doubly glad I’ve never bothered with anything newer.
There was a time when Bioware didn't make good games, they also didn't make bad games or average run of the mill games. They only made great games, that were pretty much revolutionary in someway if not in many ways. Hell, they even made a Sonic the Hedgehog RPG on the Nintendo DS that was quite good.

Now those days have past but you're only looking like a fool if you ignore what they accomplished back then.

There was a time when Bioware didn't make good games, they also didn't make bad games or average run of the mill games. They only made great games, that were pretty much revolutionary in someway if not in many ways. Hell, they even made a Sonic the Hedgehog RPG on the Nintendo DS that was quite good.

Now those days have past but you're only looking like a fool if you ignore what they accomplished back then.
Sonic Racing was developed by Sumo Digital, not Bioware.

Allstar13 bundle is a steal on Fanatical..........................1.99

• All Stars 13 Bundle [fanatical.com] (PC Digital Download)
    $1.99
    Includes
    Sniper: Ghost Warrior Trilogy
    Sniper Art of Victory
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior
  • Sniper Ghost Warrior 2
  • DLC Content

[*]Overlord: Ultimate Evil Collection
  • Overlord
  • Overlord II
  • Overload: Raising Hell
  • Overlord: Fellowship of Evil