Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Yeah, that video is one of the reasons why I'm holding out for Steam Deck 2.0 or 3.0. Neither the hardware nor the software are there (yet) for a fully baked hybrid device. Until then, I'm content with my Switch and a laptop that can play games.
Fortunately, I think the Deck has sold well enough that Valve will actually iterate on tech for once so I'm grateful to the early adopters.
I feel its "almost there" I just got mine two weeks or so ago, and it does everything I need it to. Have not tried to play any real super mega HD triple A titles though.

From what I'm hearing the decks that are shipping now and the decks that shipped in March are definitely different beasts.

Quake 2 Remaster incoming maybe?

See this on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/quake/comments/w1jg25/thoughts_on_quakecomposers_twitter_post/

And this Tweet from Sascha of Sonic Mayhem.
And this Tweet too.

I wonder if we're getting a Quake 2 Remaster soon.

Notes:
- The composer from Sonic Mayhem who did old-school Quake 2's music from the original game & expansions...
- ...Has the music on CD/DVD in high-quality files.
- The music's working and it's all high-quality files & Sascha is saying it's the only Master Disc that exists.
- So, could we be getting a Quake 2 Remaster?
- Also, QuakeCon convention's right around the corner.
- Sascha thinks there might be an announcement in August.
- Q1 Remaster did well, so...why wouldn't they (Id, Zenimax, and Microsoft) do another?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking about getting a decent 3440x1440 to try 21:9 on games. Anybody have experience with Gigabyte G34WQC or the Asus Tuf VG34VQL1B? Seem to be good 'budget' options based on reviews. I spend way too much time researching stuff...

No more global chip shortage. This new tech sounds legit:

https://twitter.com/ubctvuganda/status/1547229228533522433?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1547229228533522433%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=about%3Asrcdoc

7Ag8cZj.gif

Did anyone buy a different Steam Deck case and have any recommendations?

The case it came with seems fine, but I really dislike how the charger is held on the outside of the case by an elastic band, instead of zipped safely inside... seems like a poor design choice for such an expensive device

Optimally I would prefer something like this Nintendo Switch messenger bag...

https://www.amazon.com/Everywhere-Messenger-Nintendo-Carrying-Accessories-Console/dp/B08F451HF5

...where I can keep the device in its case, as well as the charger and other small things inside

I saw mention of a Chrome Kadet Sling bag working well, but those are $90+ wherever I look

Did anyone buy a different Steam Deck case and have any recommendations?

The case it came with seems fine, but I really dislike how the charger is held on the outside of the case by an elastic band, instead of zipped safely inside... seems like a poor design choice for such an expensive device

Optimally I would prefer something like this Nintendo Switch messenger bag...

https://www.amazon.com/Everywhere-Messenger-Nintendo-Carrying-Accessories-Console/dp/B08F451HF5

...where I can keep the device in its case, as well as the charger and other small things inside

I saw mention of a Chrome Kadet Sling bag working well, but those are $90+ wherever I look
Ha, yeah that seemed like an odd design choice to me as well given, IMO, the overall other excellent design choices that were made with the Steamdeck. Joysticks, buttons, trackpad layouts, UI elements, a great designed product all around. But the case? Well, Valve isn’t obviously in the market of carrying cases, and it shows. [emoji28] I realize they probably wanted a “slim” case design, but I wish they would have put a section in the bottom of the case, like the Skull n Co or Satisfye cases that have the area under Switch console to store stuff. Maybe the case would have been an inch or two taller as a result. Anyway, I WFH and don’t travel much at all, so I pretty much just use the case at night to keep dust and my cats away from it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel its "almost there" I just got mine two weeks or so ago, and it does everything I need it to. Have not tried to play any real super mega HD triple A titles though.

From what I'm hearing the decks that are shipping now and the decks that shipped in March are definitely different beasts.
Huh? More details?

Huh? More details?
Hardware is still having some issues. Nothing crazy but definitely still some QC issues, and stuff getting broken/damaged in transit.

As long as you "get a good one" I wouldn't call the hardware half baked. Mine is fine, comfortable, and works great without any major issues.

And all I meant was that the OS has improved pretty dramatically from when they first shipped. Lot more stable and added features.

Yeah, that video is one of the reasons why I'm holding out for Steam Deck 2.0 or 3.0. Neither the hardware nor the software are there (yet) for a fully baked hybrid device. Until then, I'm content with my Switch and a laptop that can play games.
Fortunately, I think the Deck has sold well enough that Valve will actually iterate on tech for once so I'm grateful to the early adopters.

Sure a deck 2 or 3 will have better hardware in 5-10 years, but you're going to be missing out until then. This thing is great and i've played more on it than my 6800xt desktop since i got it.

As long as you "get a good one" I wouldn't call the hardware half baked.
As a handheld, sure. But as a handheld AND a gaming box for your TV, no. Gaming laptops have it beat outside of the portability and even the Switch has arguably better dock support (not to mention its library of games).
The hardware and software have room to improve. Once the Deck becomes a hybrid device on par with a current midrange gaming laptop but in a handheld form factor, I'll be interested.

Sure a deck 2 or 3 will have better hardware in 5-10 years, but you're going to be missing out until then. This thing is great and i've played more on it than my 6800xt desktop since i got it.
I'm fine with waiting. I imagine in 5 years, whatever iteration of the Deck is out will be much closer to what I'm looking for.
In the meantime, I am happy with my Switch and my laptop.

I'm fine with waiting. I imagine in 5 years, whatever iteration of the Deck is out will be much closer to what I'm looking for.

I tried steaming my deck. It's painful y'all!
You power wash decks.

Dunno about where you live, but I don't think we got five years, at least as far as gaming toys go. Get one now, IMO.

Into the Breach: Advanced Edition is now released.  A free update for existing owners.  Steam deck will be getting a lot of use as I work toward those 5 new squads. They unlock via the same pool of achievement coins, though more achievements have been added.

I have 62 games on Switch (physically) and out of those, roughly 25 are hard exclusives.

My Steam account has over 1600 games with an untold amount of PC exclusives.

I like Nintendo games, but saying the Switch has a better library than the Steam Deck is not realistic for most folks, even with discounting emulators for Steam Deck (play SNES games without a subscription!).

I have 62 games on Switch (physically) and out of those, roughly 25 are hard exclusives.

My Steam account has over 1600 games with an untold amount of PC exclusives.

I like Nintendo games, but saying the Switch has a better library than the Steam Deck is not realistic for most folks, even with discounting emulators for Steam Deck (play SNES games without a subscription!).
Right.

Not to mention, many of us, can just buy a steam deck and automatically have dozens of games, if not hundreds of games ready to play without even needing to spend another penny. When you buy a Switch, you cannot just start playing your library of games from the 3DS, Wii, Wii U etc. You will need to spend more money on games.

switch has a better library of games?
Settle down. I wasn't saying Switch had a BETTER library of games but rather that it has a notable list of exclusives worth owning it for that aren't on Steam. Steam has far more exclusives, but most of the really good stuff on Steam either has console ports or will inevitably get them (even if they don't come to Switch) whereas first-party Nintendo stuff isn't going anywhere.

*cough* emulation *cough* …

Plus when you factor in performance, flexibility and long term library access … Steam wins by a mile.

Being able to portably play my Steam library, but also knowing I can continue those games on my desktop with higher quality options has really pushed my recent Switch game purchases down to zero. It probably also doesn’t help that the Switch hasn’t had many exclusive AAA releases the past 6 months.

Switch has the greatest game ever created by humanity in Breath of the Wild. Better than any game on Steam. But of course y'all can play it through other means but authenticity wins.
yeah. Can play through it on the Wii u pretty authentic

Settle down. I wasn't saying Switch had a BETTER library of games but rather that it has a notable list of exclusives worth owning it for that aren't on Steam. Steam has far more exclusives, but most of the really good stuff on Steam either has console ports or will inevitably get them (even if they don't come to Switch) whereas first-party Nintendo stuff isn't going anywhere.
I'm pretty settled.

I'm kinda sorta a little tempted to get the new 6700 non-XT. Seems like the least bad deal around ATM for a non-used/refurbed card, right? Comes with Forspoken + Saints Row + Sniper Elite 5. Someone talk me out of it so I can drop from 20% interested to 0%.

Plus when you factor in performance, flexibility and long term library access … Steam wins by a mile.

Being able to portably play my Steam library, but also knowing I can continue those games on my desktop with higher quality options has really pushed my recent Switch game purchases down to zero. It probably also doesn’t help that the Switch hasn’t had many exclusive AAA releases the past 6 months.
Saw this recently on Linus Tech Tips about running Switch stuff on the Steam Deck:
https://youtu.be/oIYvPNtWZ34

Switch has the greatest game ever created by humanity in Breath of the Wild. Better than any game on Steam. But of course y'all can play it through other means but authenticity wins.
I'll raise your "authenticity" claim and then point out that the game wasn't even developed with the Switch in mind.

You misspelled Chi no Rondo, but, hey, at least it's playable on a Nintendo system (via Wii Virtual Console)!

It probably also doesn’t help that the Switch hasn’t had many exclusive AAA releases the past 6 months.
Emulation isn't all that easy to accomplish however and often suffers from issues from both hardware and software. If you are just going to emulate old stuff that's one thing since most of those games can probably run on a fridgerator.

As for AAA releases yeah there were only the kirby, pokemon and fire emblem warriors titles that released in the last 6 months nintendo ip wise. Though there's 7 titles give or take set to release from this month to the end of the year.

If and when I get a steam deck I'll use it just like I use my switch because I don't care too much about console and pc wars.

If and when I get a steam deck I'll use it just like I use my switch because I don't care too much about console and pc wars.
I have two switches I don't use, to go along with 3 Xbox 1s, a PS4, Vita, AtGames Legends Ultimate, etc... and all I really do is play one free to play game on Steam. I have been bolstering a second Steam account a bit with the intention of using that with the Steam Deck I will eventually get... and probably not play either.

Unless it's Path of Exile in which case I can protect my playtime on the ladder from my couch I guess... So there's my completely uninvited addition to the conversation. I shall leave this thread for another year or so.

I'm kinda sorta a little tempted to get the new 6700 non-XT. Seems like the least bad deal around ATM for a non-used/refurbed card, right? Comes with Forspoken + Saints Row + Sniper Elite 5. Someone talk me out of it so I can drop from 20% interested to 0%.
Eh, its okay. If those games are ones you want to play right now its a nice incentive I guess. It beats what they're selling the 3060 for these days or the 6700xt (which is like 7 faster) for $60-100 more.

Good site to see relative performance comparisions:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-6700.c3716

You can also play those somewhat less portably on a laptop and get all those same benefits and more. The Deck just has a handheld form factor.
I am not saying the Steam Deck is worse than the Switch on its own, I am saying that for now, I think owning a laptop and a Switch is better for me until the Deck can compete with a good gaming laptop in terms of docked performance because there are almost no "Deck" exclusives whereas there are a number of Switch exclusives.

lol customers in a penile measuring contest for sales amounts of a product they purchased. Infecting this thread with that console fanboyism

Boy I sure hope thing I purchased outsells thing someone else purchased, go team go!

$400 handheld vs. $200 handheld.

The more affordable product usually wins, historically.
It's $300 not $200 (the Lite is awful and almost everyone hates it), but a $100 difference is part of what killed the Xbone and the Saturn so you're not wrong regardless. The Switch also has a huge lead in adoption time-wise, dedicated first-party output (aka Valve rarely makes games) and the Deck was always going to be a niche device that only accounted for a segment of Steam users (cause laptops and desktops exist).
So I think it's safe to say anyone expecting comparable sales numbers between the two is dumb.

lol customers in a penile measuring contest for sales amounts of a product they purchased. Infecting this thread with that console fanboyism

Boy I sure hope thing I purchased outsells thing someone else purchased, go team go!
How else are they supposed to justify their purchase? Certainly not by playing and enjoying the games; we don't do that here.

How else are they supposed to justify their purchase? Certainly not by playing and enjoying the games; we don't do that here.
On many level, I mean this deeply: +1

But yea, I have many handhelds, both big name corporation products and Chinese hardware. You don't need to be the best seller to still be great (poor PSP, PS Vita).

The Switch has many foils due to Nintendo being in the stone age about a lot of concepts regarding modern tech, but it still has great games and easy accessibility. The Deck is a premium toy at a crazy low price, but availability is a massive constraint.

You have had to been lost in the Deck sauce to buy in within an hour of the sales going live to have one by now basically. So of course many of the early adopters are going to be ardent fans.

I have no problems and think it whips the Switch pretty hard (the OLED should have been a more powerful iteration...), but doesn't mean it still wont be market dominant, crappy business models be damned.

bread's done
Back