Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
I want to buy a steamdeck and upgrade it to 1tb. Any recommendations for the storage upgrade?
Microcenter sells a 1TB 2230 SSD that's a perfect replacement for the internal drive. $140 without coupons or discounts but in store only. TN436 is the model number. The guide on ifixit can walk you through it. Much easier than it looks.

Heroic is over here - https://heroicgameslauncher.com/

I'd recommend Heroic on any platform - yes, even Windows - since GOG and Epic Launcher can take so long to boot and/or connect to their servers anyways & their graphical interfaces are slow anyways. Heroic's pretty snappy here, unlike GOG or Heroic.

Anyone here tried running Epic Launcher, Rockstar Launcher games, and/or Heroic on the Deck?
I don't run heroic, I install the launchers manually (add the installer as a non steam game in desktop) and then remap the launcher's steam properites so the executable path points to the newly installed launched after the install is complete.

I do this for Rockstar launcher for GTA4, Epic for the few games I own there, and battlenet for overwatch.

I am currently looking at the MSI MAG B550 Tomohawk and the MSI B550-A Pro. I need to compare them to my current board (the ASRock B350M) to make sure that they at least have the same options (and hopefully more) so I could just do a swap in.

**Edit** Just did a stare and compare. Both of the above motherboards look too detract nothing, and add all the things.

I have my old case, from my PC I built in 2006/7. I could strip that out, and start building a new computer.... :D
Just as a follow-up on this, I ordered an ASUS Prime x570-P

Bought this, was gonna get the helios but this seemed better
Hope you enjoy it and that it works out great. Spec-wise, that thing's a beast for $1100. I'd have grabbed that, if I didn't have my RTX 3060 laptop already (bought it 2 months ago).

EDIT - Oh, what's the Helios that you saw? Gotta link?

Last edited by a moderator:
Im going the cheaper route and getting a Samsung pro plus 512 micro sd card for $45 that way i dont have to open up the steam deck to replace the internal drive

Im going the cheaper route and getting a Samsung pro plus 512 micro sd card for $45 that way i dont have to open up the steam deck to replace the internal drive
Honestly this is the route to go. If you need more space just buy another 512gb sd card. You can swap them seamlessly on the fly like you swap cartridges on a Nintendo Switch.

Honestly this is the route to go. If you need more space just buy another 512gb sd card. You can swap them seamlessly on the fly like you swap cartridges on a Nintendo Switch.
I bought the top line Steam Deck, and slapped a 1TB card in it...I've not even halfway filled up the space, and have more game on there than I know what to do with. I think this is the right choice as well.

It's really not that big a deal, but if it's outside your comfort zone, by all means go this route.

The good news is that you can always go with the microSD and try to swap the SSD later, particularly when 2230 prices come down some.

I will say that having 1TB is pretty amazing given how big AAA titles are even before shader cache downloads.

The Last Campfire is $3.60 if you have XP Gold. Close to an historical low. Admittedly I haven't played it yet but it's on my wishlist and looks good. Has a Steam demo if you wanna try it out first. Moon Hunters is a buck and change and is pretty good too. And then I mentioned XCOM 2 which is $2.50-ish.

Worth adding that more games will get added over the course of the sale. Capcom, Square Enix and Sony specifically don't go live until next Tuesday.
nice. definitely checking a couple of em out.

Hope you enjoy it and that it works out great. Spec-wise, that thing's a beast for $1100. I'd have grabbed that, if I didn't have my RTX 3060 laptop already (bought it 2 months ago).

EDIT - Oh, what's the Helios that you saw? Gotta link?
It was the Helios predator 300 1080p screen with the 3060 was on Best Buy for the past few days at 999.99 sold out yesterday (had it in my cart but slept on it and it was gone) or this morning and no longer find it on the website.

Might be a blessing in disguise, I had an Acer Predator Helios gaming laptop and it gave me nothing but trouble. Lots of driver issues and eventually it quit wanting to connect to a second monitor

NewEgg:

Gigabyte A1 Gaming Laptop for $729:

-> https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834233534

Specs - R5 5600H; 16 GB RAM DDR4; 512 GB SSD; 6gb VRAM for RTX 3060 at 130W; W11 Home.

Similar to my gaming laptop, except I have 1TB on the SSD. And I run most stuff here at 1080p 50-60fps at Medium or better. Can get hot if I push too hard, so...get a desktop fan and stick it behind the laptop & aimed at the vents and have a Klim Cool+ (usually on the right vent) on it normally. That keeps it in the 70-80C degrees department. Running stuff like CP 2077, HB: Senua's Sacrifice, RE Village, The Ascent all w/ RT On and paired with DLSS/FSR On. Also ran no problem stuff like The Evil Within 1, Fallout 3 GOTY, and Bioshock 1 (2007) at 1080p60 all maxed-out (no surprise).

I still think the AOG from Best buy w/ the 6800m w/ 12GB VRAM is the better buy - but if you won't tap into the $1000+ range, this is a good one under $1000.

Would you all have a recommended  1TB micro SD card to keep a look out for to go on sale during BF? I have a 512 I'm using but want to have multiple cards to swap out. This would be for the steam deck. Thanks 

So, I finally decided to finish up Mass Effect: Andromeda. I started playing it on release and just now finished it. Most of you know that I'm basically a Mass Effect shill. So, that's my review...that it took me five years to complete.

Had I never played any other ME games or this was not in the ME universe at all, this game could have been a solid 6-6.5, maybe a 7 (though I think that's reaching a bit) according to what you are after in a video game. But, I did play the other games (yes, mobile, too) and it is solidly in the ME universe...this was just disappointing. 

Aside from standard issues of characters I wasn't as invested in, antagonist that seemed to lack believable motivation, combat that was obviously catered to the multiplayer component, and cut down story beats that were intended to be tacked on as DLC (see: quarians), identity was my biggest gripe.  Andromeda couldn't decide what it wanted to be, was it a Mass Effect copy/clone/sequel or was it its own game, and in the end it felt like it was trying to be all of those and nailed none. (See: loyalty missions, that mean...what exactly or creation of outposts on new worlds only to never really do anything with them after).

Shepard was an established hero, with pre-existing badassery in some form or fashion, so it was logical that the heavy responsibility of saving...everything, fell on his shoulders when the time came. Ryder was tasked with the same responsibility basically because his dad made that choice for the galaxy and everyone was just like, "ok, I guess it's up to you?" 

There was a lot I liked about Andromeda, but every single component of it left me unfulfilled and disappointed. The core story and the direction it was going, I feel was really good, but you don't even truly reveal that until the last couple missions. I really enjoyed the character specific missions as it developed who they were and what they stood for, but that was such a small part of the game, I never got the same attachment for them as the OT casts. 

This really feels like a game that was in five less than two years of delepment and then rushed to meet a deadline.

Sad.

Re: ME Andromeda

This really feels like a game that was in five less than two years of delepment and then rushed to meet a deadline.

Sad.
According to Jason Schreier's expose on ME: Andromeda, they began pre-production in 2013. They also had to reinvent the wheel on the RPG stuff and Inventory stuff - just like BW Edmonton did on DA: Inquisition did - b/c Frostbite doesn't come w/ any of that stuff already (i.e. it's pretty bare-bones); and "A-Team" BW Edmonton wasn't fond of the BW Montreal studio (i.e. Montreal was looked at as the BioWare B-Team, more or less). Frostbite also don't come w/ animation tools either - hence a lot of messy animations and problems, especially before it got patched-up a few times.

So, a bulk of the game was done in 18 months, since they for numerous years (i.e. I think it was 3-5 years or so?) were working on making a Random Planet Generator for the game...that wasn't acting random and/or unique enough to suit them, when it was doing the planet stuff - i.e. also supposedly been a problem w/ Beyond Good & Evil 2 and also was an issue early on w/ No Man's Sky, when they both also tried this mess.

So, a lot of the story and character development & decision-making stuff - had to be truncated, removed, altered and whatnot...b/c EA wanted the game out there and fast - and they (EA) were tired of BW Montreal taking forever w/ the game. And they (BW Montreal) had to actually go in and hand-craft what they could, to make it less repetitive (than what it was). EA really didn't want anymore delays.

See this, if you got the time; read this expose on it below...according to Jason Schreier's expose on ME: Andromeda:

https://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428

Pretty eye-opening stuff on what goes on in game-development - i.e. mismanagement, development problems, engine problems w/ Frostbite (which EA forced on a lot of companies to use that engine), and more.

I bought the Lenovo - Legion Tower 7i Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i7-10700K - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 -512GB SSD - Black on August 30, 2021 and I'm thinking about getting this 2 tb ssd for my pc and ps5. How is it for my computer?

It's the SAMSUNG 980 PRO Heatsink M.2 2280 2TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 V6(12xL) V-NAND 3bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive.

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-2tb-980-pro/p/N82E16820147826?Item=N82E16820147826

Ok. Thank you for the quick response. I might get it for my ps5. Is there a compatible ssd that you would recommend for my pc?
Look for a 2tb 970 Evo Plus below $150. I use two of them for storage and one 980 Pro for boot/os. The WD Black sn750 (not SE) is another solid choice.

What kind of discounts can we expect with the upcoming autumn sale? Namely, think Elden Ring will drop below 40 bucks? Debating purchasing it on Voidu for 41.99. Their sale ends the 21st. Steam starts the next day. My luck Steam will drop it to like 30, lol.

What kind of discounts can we expect with the upcoming autumn sale? Namely, think Elden Ring will drop below 40 bucks? Debating purchasing it on Voidu for 41.99. Their sale ends the 21st. Steam starts the next day. My luck Steam will drop it to like 30, lol.
With how insanely successful the game has been I don't see them doing a 50% discount on Steam this soon. Realistically I can't see anything lower than 20-30% off.

If you want it I would get it from Voidu for $42. It definitely won't go below $45 on Steam itself, and other key sellers seem reluctant to discount it or even let you use coupons on it. I doubt it hits sub-$40 anywhere, barring a price glitch

Microcenter has the following 2tb ssd for $79.99.  It was sold out shortly after the deal launched, but I noticed new stock available this morning. Looks to be available for pickup in the majority of locations.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/651303/inland-qn322-2tb-ssd-nvme-pcie-gen-30-x4-m2-2280-3d-nand-qlc-internal-solid-state-drive

It's QLC (inferior in many ways) but for the price it's a ton of effective game storage. Just research the limitations of QLC (durability, etc) if you intend to use it for other purposes.

I plan to use a $25 voucher on it as well.

Can you run games directly on that Inland SSD? Or is it not advised to do that?
You can run games off of a slower QLC drive. It would still be faster than a SATA interface SSD.

Qlc is fine. My wife and kid both have dram-less qlc drives in their computers. The only complaint from my kid is a lack of overall storage space.

I used a 1TB sata ssd for games on my desktop before upgrading to one of the 2tb Evo 970 open box nvme drive deals from best buy a few months back. Performance did improve but not totally night and day. Mostly load times went down slightly as I have a lot of ram and vram. Let's not forget how many people are storing games on microsd these days :p

Anyway, at this price? Buy it. If it were $20/15% cheaper than a TLC option, then consider the TLC drive. I'd pick one up but my "local" store is out of stock.

Can you run games directly on that Inland SSD? Or is it not advised to do that?
Yes, game installation is one of the better uses. You'll want to avoid using qlc for frequent writing of large amounts of data (editing video of a MysterD family member, as an example).

At best, Elden Ring probably hits 20% off on Steam this season. The Voidu deal will be tough to top for the next few months.

Well, I'm sold. Voidu it is. Thanks for the input/advice.

Used what little Voidu points I had and got it for $40.32. Thx again CAG

Is elden ring story/cutscene heavy?
It has cutscenes but I would say they are around 1 min or so at most (has been a bit since I played) and it is mostly boss introductions. The story is really deep but you have to search it out and/or go online and find explanations to experience it. Definitely not shoved down your throat like a JRPG.

Thanks for the elden ring feedback. The voidu sale + rewards credit is pushing me towards a purchase even though there's no way I'm playing anywhere near all the games I already have in the backlog. Damn this compulsion to "not miss a deal"

Rumor: Looks like Volition is gonna become a part of Gearbox now:

-> https://www.reddit.com/r/SaintsRow/comments/yxi1en/volition_has_become_part_of_gearbox_software/

Risk of Rain is now a part of the Gearbox family:

-> Click me - link.

Warhammer 40K: Dark Tide's system requirements:

-> Bluesnews - https://www.bluesnews.com/screenshots/games/warhammer40kdarktide/20221116/darktidespecs.shtml

darktidespecs.jpg

The remastered versions of Crysis 2 and 3 came out on Steam today. They are $29.99 each MSRP, but both on sale for $22.49

If you already have the original Crysis remastered, you can buy the "complete your collection" bundle and get both Crysis 2 and 3 remastered for $22.49

If you already have the original Crysis remastered, you can buy the "complete your collection" bundle and get both Crysis 2 and 3 remastered for $22.49
That bundle pricing almost seems like a pricing error, right? I mean, buy one of them for $22.49 or buy both for... $22.49. Tough decision.

Also, full bundle works out to $25.47 if you own none of them but do have the original Crysis.

Steam Autumn Sale starts next week, starting at 10am Pacific from 11-22 to 11-29.

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/IK1w5kXIeHs

I doubt it's a pricing mistake, because if you look through their other franchises, EA tends to be pretty generous with the discounts on those "complete your collection" bundles

I doubt it's a pricing mistake, because if you look through their other franchises, EA tends to be pretty generous with the discounts on those "complete your collection" bundles
The remasters are all self-published by Crytek, but yeah, at this point it's clearly not an error.

If I were to get one of the EDF games that's on sale now (I've already played through 4.1) which would be the one to go with? Is 5 better than Iron Rain? iR is cheaper tho... Hoping to play on steam deck so not sure how they run on that. Curious anyone's experiences

If I were to get one of the EDF games that's on sale now (I've already played through 4.1) which would be the one to go with? Is 5 better than Iron Rain? iR is cheaper tho... Hoping to play on steam deck so not sure how they run on that. Curious anyone's experiences
You really cannot got wrong with 4.1 or 5, but Iron Rain is hot dookie and really don't recommend it. I would just get 4.1 and wait for 5 to get cheaper, IMO.

IR is a side game catering to the western audience. It loses the charm of the main games. Get 5 or wait for 6.

bread's done
Back