Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Sounds like your water pump died in the aio, or a build up in the lines blocking flow. This is why AIO water coolers arent the greatest, more moving parts that can fail. From the sounds of your TSing steps you hit the nail on the head with it being your water cooler.
Yeah, I wouldn't have a water cooler if it wasn't a pre-built... My 970 ran PC finally died early this year and the only way to get a new video card was to go through a scalper or buy a pre-built.

My first thought was to rip out the water cooler and replace it with an air cooler but the water cooler has leads going to a number of connectors on the MB, that's not really scary, but taking off the other side panel to track down one of the leads led to a small board that I have no idea what it is or what it does. It's a super board. Not the underside of the MB so u stopped to think on it. I really need to drag out the box and find the paperwork but I've been lazy so far.

Temps were at 97-99. Never saw triple digits but I didn't spend much time with it on to see if it would climb higher.

Have no idea if the pump is still working, I don't hear great but I'll given it a listen too the next time turn it on. The PC was standing upright, has since been laid on its side, but I'll unscrew the radiator from the back and let it move about to try and free up a possible clog, but I'll be honest. The pipes the water go through are pretty beefy. I'm not sure how a clog could form outside of at a filter... but it seems to be a closed system so I don't think there's a filter. (So I suspect it's a pump issue. Maybe ill boot it up and try to hear a pump before doing anything else.)

but taking off the other side panel to track down one of the leads led to a small board that I have no idea what it is or what it does. It's a super board.
Likely a hub of some kind, either fan and/or rgb. Pics would help.

Have no idea if the pump is still working, I don't hear great but I'll given it a listen too the next time turn it on.
HWMonitor should be able to tell you. There would likely be a fan output from the MOBO running north of 2000RPM if the pump is running. Not to say you wouldn't have an issue if you see that, but at least you know the pump is being commanded properly.

I'm not sure how a clog could form outside of at a filter... but it seems to be a closed system so I don't think there's a filter.
The pump block should have a microfin structure. Sometimes the coolant (and its additives) can get gummed up and clog the fins. Also, the lining of the hoses can come apart and clog up the system or create a blockage. Though these issues are usually due to either manufacturer error or extreme/long term usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some sale talk:

Once again, I've found SteamDB to be incredibly helpful in identifying all-time lows on wishlisted games. This sale there have been quite a few games on my list hit new lows. I'm not keeping a journal or anything, but it seems like there are more this sale than usual.

I also found it useful to use SteamDB to identify Complete the Bundles in which I have have wishlisted games. A number of those have hit all time low prices, bringing even more games into that threshold. I otherwise probably would have missed them. 

I've spent about $19 dollars for seven games so far, which is a lot in comparison to recent Steam sales.

So more PC stuff.

First the pictures https://imgur.com/a/xtdsROs. (First two show the small secondary board I was talking about. The third shows fan speeds, which suggests my cooler is still pumping.)

So looking around it looks like MSI had recalls for their GPU watercoolers due to sediment. It's not the exact version as mine, the recalls were on 2 and 3 fan versions not the single fan version I have but it doesn't seem to be a stretch that I've been hit by this too. (https://us.msi.com/Landing/liquid-cooler-swap-application)

MSI website says my warranty has expired even though its been less than a year. My extended warranty I got on it says it doesn't take start till that year is up. (Oh, yay!)

All in all, I think I'm just going to going to buy an air cooler, thermal paste, and a fan for the back of the case to replace the one that's part of water cooler.,

Seem sound?

last day of Autumn sale 

should I get Bundle with Yakuza 0-2 ($16.12) and Remastered Collection with 3-5 ($19.92) and 6 ($6.99)  a la carte for the Deck?

or just play them on Gamepass?

hmmm, decisions  

I already have 7 for PS5 and it's $20.99 so probably would hold off on that one for now, until I catch up in Yakuza-verse first. 

I'd recommend you get 0-2 and play those and get the rest later probably unless you're just all in on the series. It's an acquired taste and that's a lot of game. Start with 0 as it's one of the cleanest in the series and does start the story and such.

I'd recommend you get 0-2 and play those and get the rest later probably unless you're just all in on the series. It's an acquired taste and that's a lot of game. Start with 0 as it's one of the cleanest in the series and does start the story and such.
thats true... plus Im assuming the Collection remastered will go on sale again sometime, even if not steam direct, an authorized 3rd party reseller.

not a bad idea. I started 0 a couple years ago on PS4 and stopped (I recall load times not being spectacular on ps4, but also other backlog to tackle, etc.), so might be good to restart anyways to get a good momentum going

thanks

So more PC stuff.
Seem sound?
That "small board" in regard to your cpu cooler is is for rgb pins. Not supplying power to pump or fans.

This is going to sound lame. But I would probably recommend you call whatever contact info is provided for the extended warranty you purchased. Tell them the manufacturer says the cooler is out of warranty and they need to cover it.

Of course I'm a DIY guy but the problem with just buying and installing your own cooler is the extended warranty you purchased. It's very likely that the prebulit company will not help you with any component in the build if you modify the system yourself. That's potentially giving up the coverage you purchased on your gpu. Especially important as some gpu manufacturers make different models only for prebuilt vendors that have shorter manufacturer warranties than standalone retail cards.

This isn't a complaint about the Steam Deck or the Switch, but I picked up my V1 Switch the other day for the first time since getting my Steam Deck and I was amazed at how small and light it was.   I love my Steam Deck, but it really is amazing what Nintendo got into that system, how portable it is, and how well it still works after this many years.  

This isn't a complaint about the Steam Deck or the Switch, but I picked up my V1 Switch the other day for the first time since getting my Steam Deck and I was amazed at how small and light it was. I love my Steam Deck, but it really is amazing what Nintendo got into that system, how portable it is, and how well it still works after this many years.
This isn't reddit. You can say something positive about a different handheld without being surrounded by torches and pitchforks.

For sure battery life, size, and weight are amazing on the switch. Still can't clear out my PC backlog on it, though :)

You can say something positive about a different handheld without being surrounded by torches and pitchforks.
Sometimes it doesn't feel that way. :cool:

For sure battery life, size, and weight are amazing on the switch. Still can't clear out my PC backlog on it, though :)
Indeed. Although the game I'm playing most on my Steam Deck right now is Metroid Prime.... so that's somewhat ironic. I do have a lot of PC games on there that I'm hoping to play soon.

For the size, price point, and its age, the Switch is still an impressive piece of tech. Don't sweat the manchildren online who just count pixels and don't actually play games

One last Steam Deck post.  I was able to upgrade my 64GB unit to a 256GB drive last weekend.  I used the free version of Macrium reflect to make an image of the 64GB drive and applied that to the new 256GB drive (using an NVMe/USB enclosure that I already had.) 

Once I put the drive back into the Steam Deck, it expanded the extra free space on the drive and all was good.  I'm kind of kicking myself that I didn't get a 512GB drive, but since I already had a 512GB SD card I figured that I could wait on that next upgrade. 

Nice to know that I can upgrade it again later without much of any issues though.    

One last Steam Deck post. I was able to upgrade my 64GB unit to a 256GB drive last weekend. I used the free version of Macrium reflect to make an image of the 64GB drive and applied that to the new 256GB drive (using an NVMe/USB enclosure that I already had.)

Once I put the drive back into the Steam Deck, it expanded the extra free space on the drive and all was good. I'm kind of kicking myself that I didn't get a 512GB drive, but since I already had a 512GB SD card I figured that I could wait on that next upgrade.

Nice to know that I can upgrade it again later without much of any issues though.
I also did 64->256 and immediately regretted the small increase and had a 1tb in there within a few weeks. I went with the microcenter 2230 drive for my 1TB. As a warning, make sure you back out your screws when you go to reassemble the second time so you catch the threads correctly. I forgot the second time and I think I stripped two of them. I could use blue loctite, but I also think it's fine.

When I did the 64->1gb I used Linux mint to clone the drive in my desktop. You should have seen the hack to get my 2230 drives to stay down in the 2242 slots --I cut small plastic flaps to screw down into the 2242 screw holes that extended long enough to put pressure on the screw clip surface of the ssds.

I also did 64->256 and immediately regretted the small increase and had a 1tb in there within a few weeks. I went with the microcenter 2230 drive for my 1TB. As a warning, make sure you back out your screws when you go to reassemble the second time so you catch the threads correctly. I forgot the second time and I think I stripped two of them. I could use blue loctite, but I also think it's fine.

When I did the 64->1gb I used Linux mint to clone the drive in my desktop. You should have seen the hack to get my 2230 drives to stay down in the 2242 slots --I cut small plastic flaps to screw down into the 2242 screw holes that extended long enough to put pressure on the screw clip surface of the ssds.
are you sure you arent gonna be itching for a 2tb 2230 soon? :p

what size microSD ya got to pair with that?

I'm at a 1tb ssd internal and 1tb microsd as well. should be enough and if it aint, im gonna manage!

are you sure you arent gonna be itching for a 2tb 2230 soon? :p

what size microSD ya got to pair with that?

I'm at a 1tb ssd internal and 1tb microsd as well. should be enough and if it aint, im gonna manage!
You find me a deal on the 2TB and I'll probably buy it! I'm dual booting windows with a 300gb partition, so the more space the merrier. :)

Only a 256gb microsd here. I was originally using it only for emulation until I realized that I prefer my actual GBA and 3ds over emulating them.

Sounds like with a combined 2tb you're probably set for a while

My Miyoo Mini has become a fantastic "Picross and Tetris on the toilet" device.
For a great discussion on the standouts of 2022, to include the Mypoo Mini (Insomniac_34 endorsed!), I recommend this video. Plus, this content creator is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqAM3INcLeA

Anyone know how giveaways during streams like that work?  Do you just have to be "watching" or is there a thing you have to respond to within a set amount of time?

Anyone know how giveaways during streams like that work? Do you just have to be "watching" or is there a thing you have to respond to within a set amount of time?
I won Battletech a few years ago during the Game Awards. I had the video on in Steam and think I had it muted and the game just went to my library. Not sure if the Steam Deck will be different though.

Chances to win this are pretty slim, but thankfully my $3 Vampire Survivors purchase qualifies me at least.

Anyone know how giveaways during streams like that work? Do you just have to be "watching" or is there a thing you have to respond to within a set amount of time?
yeah im curious of this too - watching in Steam app itself or where specifically? lol

I registered yesterday and went through without issue

I haven't bought anything in years, but it let me register. Maybe free giveaway key redemptions count.
Key redemptions must count. I didn't purchase anything directly from Steam in that time period. I recently bought the Valve Package (to complete my collection) during the Black Friday sale though.

Great deal on Fanatical bundle this week....also got

STAR WARS Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
from mystery bundle but already have it, anyone want to trade?

Finally, finished Dragon Age: Inquisition. I had completed the base game back in 2015, and just finished all the DLC this past week. I totally forgot how much I enjoyed this game. I also totally forgot most of the plot and all my plot decisions. Kinda feel like this is what dementia will be like. 

For those that switched out the steam deck SSD - didn't valve warn against this? I know they said it was physically possible but I remember the main designer saying pretty clearly "don't do this"

For those that switched out the steam deck SSD - didn't valve warn against this? I know they said it was physically possible but I remember the main designer saying pretty clearly "don't do this"
No. They said don't upgrade to a larger *physical* size (2242, 2280) ssd that draws more power or generates more heat. The stock drives are 2230 in size. The last two digits are the length in mm, fyi.

They also separately warned that you might compromise structural integrity if you open it for any reason, because the screws holes are plastic and it's possible to cross thread and mess up their grip. So, be careful when reassembling.

The Callisto Protocol.

NOTES:

- Reviews from publications & Youtubers are all over the place.

- Steam User Reviews for The Callisto Protocol are at "Mostly Negative" right now.

- Looks like it's got a lot of stuttering issues on PC, given the Steam-reviews.

- VG247 already picked up on the PC stutters - https://www.vg247.com/the-callisto-protocol-pc-stutter-negative-reviews-true-horror

- You can add Rock Paper Shotgun picked up on the PC stuttering issue too - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-callisto-protocol-review

- DSOG has mentioned they believe the PC stutters are from Shader Compilation like other UE4 games: https://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-callisto-protocol-has-shader-compilation-stutters-and-optimization-issues-on-pc/

- This game's Season Pass will have New Game Plus Mode, Hardcore Mode, New Story Content & more: https://www.gameinformer.com/2022/12/02/the-callisto-protocol-will-get-new-game-plus-hardcore-mode-story-content-and-more-as-dlc

They also separately warned that you might compromise structural integrity if you open it for any reason, because the screws holes are plastic and it's possible to cross thread and mess up their grip. So, be careful when reassembling.
A common tip about self-tapping screws into plastic... When reassembling, turn the screw CCW until you feel it drop down. That'll be the screw seating itself in the existing threads. Then you can tighten it down without (or maybe just with less) risk of cross threading.

Despite having the worst title of any game I can think of in the history of gaming I have been cautiously optimistic about "The Callisto Protocol".

I will never feel optimistic about anything ever again.

Probably the best bet for Callisto is like any other game we CAG'ers buy:

Buy cheap way later for base-game or buy Complete Edition way later; and/or wait for patches to fix the issues or for better hardware to be out to run the game on.

bread's done
Back